Author Topic: David Bowie Has Died - RIP Starman  (Read 31010 times)

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Re: David Bowie Has Died - RIP Starman
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2016, 02:19:51 pm »
Well that recorded message Radio 6 just played of him really got to me

"Goodbye chaps. It was all for the best. All of it"

Offline trinityroad

• Main Stander
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2016, 02:24:05 pm »
Well that recorded message Radio 6 just played of him really got to me

"Goodbye chaps. It was all for the best. All of it"

I'd be grateful if a link for this is posted.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2016, 02:26:20 pm »
6 Music has nailed it today
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »
Don't know what to say. Another one gone. Not many left now, and there'll all getting to that age. Pop, Soul, the lad could do anything, but here's a proper bit of rock an roll... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLnPd7lzT4g
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2016, 02:33:41 pm »
I don't do regrets usually...but remembering managing to miss his 2000 show at Glastonbury when I was just a few fields away is gutting today

This fella's output from 1971 until 1980 is unparalleled - amazing creative outburst

not gonna say rip as Mr Bowie was never one for resting....thank you for the music David

first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2016, 02:34:41 pm »
One of me favourite endings to a film ever.

Wait for it...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MA3jRCX14cQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MA3jRCX14cQ</a>

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2016, 02:46:24 pm »
He was fucking incredible. His is a legacy which will live on forever and that's not exaggerated in the slightest. A true legend, and not just of music. The man was an artist in the purest sense of the word.

Thank you, David.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2016, 02:50:50 pm »
Can we not mention Cameron or any other politician in here? Just ignore it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2016, 02:58:48 pm »
I'd be grateful if a link for this is posted.
I think the entire episode will be posted here later:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0100rp6/episodes/player

But they have a version up now (doesn't include that last message):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06z0lns#play

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2016, 03:02:10 pm »
The people who have the biggest impact upon our lives are the people we wish we could dare to be.

Cheers Bowie. Grateful for all you did directly and indirectly to inspire, enthuse and entertain.
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2016, 03:13:46 pm »
Didn't even know he was ill.

Sadly for people my age there will be more in the years to come if I live long enough.

We'll all have our favourites, I'm a Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust myself as I would think the majority of us are.

The John Peel sessions he did are some of the greatest there are.

RIP
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2016, 03:16:57 pm »
The word "legend" gets used far to easily

But today, we lost a true legend

Gone but never forgotten.

RIP David Bowie

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2016, 03:17:19 pm »
Didn't even know he was ill.

Sadly for people my age there will be more in the years to come if I live long enough.

We'll all have our favourites, I'm a Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust myself as I would think the majority of us are.

The John Peel sessions he did are some of the greatest there are.

RIP

I'm also rather fond of Diamond Dogs.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2016, 03:22:20 pm »
MESSAGE FROM IGGY:
"David’s friendship was the light of my life. I never met such a brilliant person. He was the best there is.
- Iggy Pop"

:'(

1977, might be Bowie's finest year, released 'Low' and 'Heroes' along with producing and collaborating on 'Lust for Life' and 'The Idiot' for Iggy. A productive 12 months for two lads with their own share of personal problems in Berlin. I'd imagine after that their bond was unbreakable but musically and personally.

Only one left now. Iggy will bury the lot of us.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2016, 03:22:30 pm »
Pretty good collection of 30 Bowie tracks to listen to.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/david-bowie-30-essential-songs-20160111
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:34:44 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2016, 03:34:40 pm »
Very sad news. You always got the feeling with Bowie that he never lost his passion for new and interesting music, unlike a lot of his contemporaries.
A big loss for sure.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2016, 03:36:29 pm »
It's weird, I was listening to Black Star all weekend. Loved it, thought it was typically weird and experimental, and if there's one thing I respected Bowie for it was his ability to change and challenge himself. I was out on Saturday and mentioned I'd been listening to, and my mate asked me what it was like. "Brilliant, no idea what it's all about, but it's great".

Obviously now, it's blindingly obvious what it's all about. There are so many references to death and mortality I'm quite shocked that I didn't spot it before. Songs like Lazarus and I Can't Give Everything Away are pretty much farewells from beyond the grave.

What a legend, an icon, a true giant. I can't imagine anyone else's death (bar perhaps Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney's) having such an enormous effect on me.

Thanks for everything David, RIP.

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2016, 03:41:49 pm »

Totally.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2016, 03:50:28 pm »
Missing it all because of stupid work, but I've been teased by their updates on Twitter. Will catch up with all later.

Speaking of Bowie on the radio, here he is picking out some of his favourite songs on the BBC in 1979 on a two hour special.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ATSTjjEMmuk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ATSTjjEMmuk</a>

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2016, 03:56:59 pm »
:'( Gutted.

This was the first Bowie song I ever heard (my mum owned the Laughing Gnome and this was the 'b' side), it may not be his greatest song, but I love it....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GidrQdpNy8E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GidrQdpNy8E</a>

Thank you for the music.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2016, 04:12:20 pm »
The Bowie At The Beeb collection is something else
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2016, 04:18:07 pm »
I have no words. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4cXO1ddrbuY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4cXO1ddrbuY</a>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:20:02 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
One of a kind who will be sorely missed.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2016, 04:27:18 pm »
he is everywhere in my life

That pretty much nails it, doesn't it?

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2016, 04:36:14 pm »
from carrie brownstein:

It feels like we lost something elemental, as if an entire color is gone.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2016, 04:46:37 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/eIXmFL9ckGE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/eIXmFL9ckGE</a>

Fucking terrible news.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2016, 04:47:30 pm »
from carrie brownstein:

Something gorgeous from a gorgeous lady

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2016, 04:50:45 pm »
First time I’ve ever cried over a celebrity death… just a few tears on the bus this morning whilst listening to ‘Kooks’ from Hunky Dory. What a track, what a guy.

A couple of excellent tributes from chaps from The Anfield Wrap:

Ian Salmon: http://mumblinginttothevoid.blogspot.com/2016/01/everybody-says-hi.html

Martin Fitzgerald: http://ramalbumclub.com/post/137086870819/david-bowie

RIP Bowie.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2016, 04:52:32 pm »

looking forward to Marc Riley's show in particular...there's a full Bowie concert, recorded in 1971 at the BBC's Paris Theatre...830pm - 9.00pm
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2016, 04:58:35 pm »
There won't be a bigger loss of a more creative genius for the rest of the entire year.
Very sad.
RIP

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2016, 05:20:53 pm »
from carrie brownstein:
It feels like we lost something elemental, as if an entire color is gone.
Beautifully put. This news hitting today does indeed have a real aching poetry to it, a genuine stark, raw sense of loss, for me. It feels so massively personally significant, so close to the heart. These emotions we're all churning together, of deep admiration and nostalgia, and partcularly that heavy sighing philosophical thing. Vague tinge of disbelief in there too. It just isn't easy to process that David Bowie is dead.

I agree that 6 Music has been wonderful. Had to sack work off completely partway through today, I've been so choked up and daydreamy; work is just not important right now. I'm always sad and wistful about these passings of my long-standing idols - becoming increasingly frequent now since I embarked on my 30s - but this has been a sledgehammer.

looking forward to Marc Riley's show in particular...there's a full Bowie concert, recorded in 1971 at the BBC's Paris Theatre...830pm - 9.00pm
Count me in.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2016, 05:22:48 pm »
It’s weird the way you find out about things these days. Sitting on the bus this morning, idly looking through Twitter, I see one or two comments about classic Bowie albums and I think nothing of it. And then I see one or two more talking about his career and influence in a wider sense in a way that all felt very epitaph-y, and suddenly I’m thinking “uh-oh”. And so it was with an impending sense of dread that I searched the trending topics, already aware of the news before I had even read the words…

My brother was big into him when I was a kid, I owe him for that introduction (and Prince too, and Talking Heads), but it took me a while, too long. It blew my mind when I eventually got around to listening to the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust for the first time by myself as an adult to find that, not only did I know every song from hearing them blasted out of my brother’s room years before, but I loved them like best friends I never knew I had. So many facets of his enduring genius will be considered over the coming days by people far more qualified than I. One thing I haven’t seen discussed that much so far: his voice was truly one of the most unique and powerful instruments I’ve ever had the good fortune to feast my ears on. “And the shame was on the other side…” or “Ain’t there one damn song that can make me break down and cry?” – chills down my spine, every time.

Joe Strummer is currently the only other one in my adult life that I can think of whose passing hit me like this. Some didn’t move me in quite the same way either musically or otherwise, while others I was too young for and they were gone before I’d had the chance to properly get to know their music in a meaningful way. One of this latter group, Phil Lynott, once wrote a song about Elvis Presley’s passing that seems apt: “It was a rainy night, the night the king went down/ Everybody was crying it seemed, like sadness had surrounded the town/ Me I went to the liquor store and I bought a bottle of wine and a bottle of gin/ I played his records all night, drinking with a close, close friend”.

I think I might do likewise. R.I.P. to a musical colossus, a true legend.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:26:16 pm by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2016, 05:27:24 pm »
Where do you start with Bowie? It's hard enough trying to pin him down in your own mind to just one of his many (re)incarnations. Close your eyes and a myriad of Bowies pass through your mind. He was a true 20th/21st century cultural icon: muscian, artist, actor and just about proto every pop cultural movement. In The Man Who Fell to Earth he was an alien amongst us in Roeg's visonary and beautifully poetic movie. Nobody else looked as alien or as other worldly as Bowie did at the time. Nobody else could have played that role at the time. One of my first singles was Ashes to Ashes & the last new thing I have of his, is his cameo on Aracade Fire's Reflector. I was too young to become a real hardcore Bowie fan, but everything I heard during the 80s of his 70s stuff I loved. I need to go and listen to his new album.

R.I.P
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2016, 05:38:26 pm »
When I think of Labyrinth (one of my fave films) I can't get over the fact Bowie was just 39 in it... I'm 42 now.  Really makes you think about how swiftly life flows by.  :-\
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2016, 05:41:22 pm »
One thing I haven’t seen discussed that much so far: his voice was truly one of the most unique and powerful instruments I’ve ever had the good fortune to feast my ears on. “And the shame was on the other side…” or “Ain’t there one damn song that can make me break down and cry?” – chills down my spine, every time.
His voice was truly extraordinary - range, character (how many lines do you ever need to hear before you recognise it's Bowie? He has a distinct timbre all of his own, just a grunt or yelp and you immediately know who it's coming out of), feeling. He was enormously talented, but he gets you right there too 'cause he sings his heart out. You do feel like he sincerely shared his soul with us through his art, especially the journey of a maturing artist/performer/man.

Many people you can say that about just aren't anywhere near as naturally gifted or technically adaptable. A constantly evolving mastery, never shying from experimentation and diving into the zeitgeist, 'facing the strange'. It was never bandwagon-jumping with Bowie, it was more brave explorations of newly-discovered facets of his - and our - psyche, or soul. And fucking hell, did he have soul.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2016, 05:43:03 pm »
RIP you crazy diamond
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2016, 05:49:40 pm »
Great to have Haemoglobin back. Beautifully put.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2016, 06:21:24 pm »

He's back!!! Yerse.

Loved Bowie, not always 100% sold on all his albums, thought they all have their special moments.

However, I'd like to pay tribute to his championing of the Velvet Underground/Lou Reed and also Iggy Pop, two artists who might never have made their great records without Bowie's considerable input.

Lou Reed was ready to quit the music business before Transformer, which Bowie produced.

Bowie wrote the music for Lust for Life for Iggy.

MASSIVE achievements before you even consider his own monumental solo output.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2016, 06:22:35 pm »
Really sad news.

A truly iconic individual.

RIP
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....