Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12303620 times)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #92720 on: April 5, 2017, 02:17:21 pm »
I'm not sure what the attraction in playing youth footie for Chelsea or City is other than the facilities, seems a dead end from the progression into the first team stand point
It's all about the money

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #92721 on: April 5, 2017, 02:47:34 pm »
I'm not sure what the attraction in playing youth footie for Chelsea or City is other than the facilities, seems a dead end from the progression into the first team stand point

Chelsea were bringing Izzy Brown (now at Brentford or something) & Solanke off the bench last season and Ihenancho (however the fuck it's spelt) is the only other I recall from the City youth team making an impact in the first team

If you your son was 10-13, a decent player for his age group and had an offer from City/Chelsea, you'd have a number of options

1. Take the offer.
They'll set your child up in one of the top private schools in the country and guarantee education until after GCSEs (even if your child drops out). The wage and benefits that the child and your family will get will likely far surpass anything you can provide for your family. In essence, a contract until their late teens would set your child up for the majority of their life, even as a player in their youth set up that has little chance of breaking through to the first team. They'll have access to some of the best coaches and facilities in the world.

2. Don't take the offer.
Depending on the club, the salary offered could be <£10k per year (e.g ours), or slightly more. Your son will have a higher chance of breaking through to the first team, and in all likelihood greater focus on their progressoin as an individual. The salary offered will not set them up for life. Statistically the chance of them making it and playing in one of the top divisions in Europe is still MINIMAL. They are 1 injury away from dropping out of the system completely, and even if they do remain health, there are no guarantees that they will make it as a pro. Should they drop out, it's likely that due to the focus on football during their youth they may have given up on opportunities for many other "high flying" careers (STEM, etc), compounded with the heart-break of falling out of the system in the desired career they have spent 10+ years grafting at.

Given the small possibility of breaking through to the first team at any club (unless you are one of the best in the world at your age, and even then...) What would you choose?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #92722 on: April 5, 2017, 02:53:38 pm »
My grandson has just got Ben Woodburn on a Match Attack card. Shows Ben has hit the big-time.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92723 on: April 5, 2017, 03:34:37 pm »

Chelsea were bringing Izzy Brown (now at Brentford or something) & Solanke off the bench last season and Ihenancho (however the fuck it's spelt) is the only other I recall from the City youth team making an impact in the first team

Brown and Solanke were both out on loan last season so made zero Chelsea appearances, they got some token minutes the season before but nothing meaningful. Iheanacho isn't a Man City academy graduate, they bought him after he won the award for best player at the U17 World Cup, you might as well praise them for bringing through Gabriel Jesus and Leroy Sane.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92724 on: April 5, 2017, 06:35:38 pm »
Thats us seriously hampered for the next few years although it looks like we can still sign players fron abroad?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/liverpool-banned-signing-academy-players-fined-stoke

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #92725 on: April 5, 2017, 08:54:59 pm »
Thats us seriously hampered for the next few years although it looks like we can still sign players fron abroad?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/liverpool-banned-signing-academy-players-fined-stoke

It's only for 1 year effectively.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #92726 on: April 8, 2017, 08:20:21 am »

was just going to ask about this.  obviously recent strategy has been to develop local players but does this mean we can't sign anyone local even at the most junior levels?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #92727 on: April 8, 2017, 08:42:23 am »
was just going to ask about this.  obviously recent strategy has been to develop local players but does this mean we can't sign anyone local even at the most junior levels?

No, just that we can't sign people who are at other class 1 academies (or whatever they're called).

You can still add kids to your academy and you can still sign from abroad...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92728 on: April 8, 2017, 09:36:41 am »

Not meaning to be pedantic, but does Iheanacho count as a City youth team player? Didn't they sign him when he turned 18?
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #92729 on: April 8, 2017, 09:54:49 am »
It'll be a money and education thing. Top investing clubs are sending the players to private schools where they'll get access to perceived better teaching and facilities to learn, if they knuckle down they can get a head start in life. I don't blame them for the financial side of things. If you're a crazy level talent then maybe it's different but for a 12/13 year old were there's no gauge as to how good you'll become you'd be forgiven for looking to make as much money as you can in the event you're not going to make it.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #92730 on: April 10, 2017, 02:46:54 pm »
U-23s have a tricky away assignment v Southampton this evening.

Interested to see the line up.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92731 on: April 10, 2017, 04:25:20 pm »

Top facilities, top coaches, fantastically talented team mates and top salaries. Even if they went to a lower grade academy, the chances are most won't make it right to the top. For many of those players, their youth contracts at City/Chelsea would be the biggest contract of their lives. Why wouldn't you go to Chelsea or City, its far more risky a career path to go anywhere else.

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #92732 on: April 10, 2017, 06:26:19 pm »
U-23s have a tricky away assignment v Southampton this evening.

Interested to see the line up.

There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #92733 on: April 10, 2017, 06:33:58 pm »
cheers for the heads up

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92734 on: April 10, 2017, 06:48:25 pm »
Kevin Stewart dropped out of the first team reckoning a bit? He's 24 in September and playing with Brewster who turned 17 a few days ago.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #92735 on: April 10, 2017, 06:51:25 pm »
Kevin Stewart dropped out of the first team reckoning a bit? He's 24 in September and playing with Brewster who turned 17 a few days ago.

Aye big time, you'd think his numbers up in the summer. If you're not getting minutes during this injury crisis I really don't see where he is in the future.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92736 on: April 10, 2017, 06:51:27 pm »
He's behind so many players now he's got pretty much no chance of being here. Doesn't even make the bench now when everyone is injured. Most that side shouldn't really be here next season though, whether it be permanently or on loan.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #92737 on: April 10, 2017, 06:52:51 pm »
That is a strong attacking team. Good to see Wilson at least getting a game. This will be a strong test for us tonight.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92740 on: April 10, 2017, 07:33:10 pm »
Harry Wilson has made a lot of  progress in terms of performance for u21, but little in terms of actually being in the gold for the first team.

Being in that middle bit between reserves and first team like Stewart doesn't do you any good if you don't actually play in the first team, Stewart has at least got a chance Harry still to get one, which is a shame for him because there really won't be many more chances, and he does derserve it.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92741 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:11 pm »
If they did possession statistics I think we'd be no more than 15%.  They're pressing us so high that every time we get the ball we have to boot it upfield and hand possession back. 

The commentator talked about us wanting revenge for a 4-1 beating by Soton earlier in the season, but a repeat of that would be a fair score based on the first half. 

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92742 on: April 10, 2017, 07:47:09 pm »
Harry Wilson has made a lot of  progress in terms of performance for u21, but little in terms of actually being in the gold for the first team.

Being in that middle bit between reserves and first team like Stewart doesn't do you any good if you don't actually play in the first team, Stewart has at least got a chance Harry still to get one, which is a shame for him because there really won't be many more chances, and he does derserve it.

I don't see how you can say that with such confidence to be honest, he is still young and I'm sure his good work thus season wouldn't have gone unnoticed by Klopp.  He just needs to be patient and I'm sure they'll be a good few chances for him next season.

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #92743 on: April 10, 2017, 07:53:01 pm »
Joe Gomez injured, thought he would be getting time on the pitch?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92744 on: April 10, 2017, 07:59:04 pm »
He's already behind Woodburn, maybe Ojo and we're going to add numbers to the front line next season. He's been training with the first team for a while now and hasn't managed to get a chance despite all our injuries. Maybe he's fantastic in preseason and wins Klopp over but he should be really looking to use that to get a good loan sorted. Canos and Kent left permanently and on loan and are regulars for mid table sides in the Championship. Ojo and Wilson should be looking at them really, it's not as glamorous as playing for us, but they're gaining good experience and will end up making a good career for themselves. Ojo and Wilson can't really afford to keep their development stalling as younger players will continue to come through who show promise like they did, but will be seen to have a higher upside due to their age.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92745 on: April 10, 2017, 08:03:01 pm »
No Gomez or Ojo. Do they have injuries or do we think they might be with the first team? There's certainly a place available for Ojo or Wilson in the first team squad at the moment I'd have thought.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92746 on: April 10, 2017, 08:18:03 pm »
No Gomez or Ojo. Do they have injuries or do we think they might be with the first team? There's certainly a place available for Ojo or Wilson in the first team squad at the moment I'd have thought.
Not sure how much of his plans Ojo is in for Klopp. He didn't even list him as an option before the Stoke game - "The young boys give us a few options – it's about Ben, Trent, Harry, Marko Grujic. But it has to be the right situation."

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #92747 on: April 10, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
1-0 when I had to leave it

What was the final score

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #92748 on: April 10, 2017, 08:47:06 pm »
1-0 when I had to leave it

What was the final score

Was 2.0 last I knew
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92749 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:58 pm »
I gave up watching half way thru the second half and now I see its 2-2.  Wow

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #92750 on: April 10, 2017, 08:52:52 pm »
2-2 harry wilson from the spot, well keeper saved, wilson from rebound.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #92751 on: April 10, 2017, 08:54:09 pm »
That knocking noise ... it's Harry on Jurgen's door  :lickin

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #92752 on: April 10, 2017, 08:54:44 pm »
2-2 ;)

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #92753 on: April 10, 2017, 09:00:36 pm »
I'm really glad I stopped watching at 2.0 ;D
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #92754 on: April 10, 2017, 09:03:01 pm »
Splendid second half just like the first team on Saturday ...  but for Brazilian read Welshman.  :P

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92755 on: April 10, 2017, 10:21:07 pm »
I see Melissa Ready is suggesting that LFC are definitely after Ryan Sessegnon, along with a host of other Premiership clubs.  But he's not 17 till next month so he's more naturally an academy player.  Does anyone know what he definition of the academy ban for 2 years, one year deferred, is that LFC have?  Does it refer to a particular age group, eg U18s, or anyone who is not first team, and even if the latter, does it mean that he cannot play for the U23s to get fitness up (assuming he will not automatically be our first choice if he signs)? 

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #92756 on: April 10, 2017, 10:23:14 pm »
I see Melissa Ready is suggesting that LFC are definitely after Ryan Sessegnon, along with a host of other Premiership clubs.  But he's not 17 till next month so he's more naturally an academy player.  Does anyone know what he definition of the academy ban for 2 years, one year deferred, is that LFC have?  Does it refer to a particular age group, eg U18s, or anyone who is not first team, and even if the latter, does it mean that he cannot play for the U23s to get fitness up (assuming he will not automatically be our first choice if he signs)? 
According to Paul Joyce, the kid will sign his pro contract in May and we are then free to sign him...

If no one else out does us...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92757 on: April 10, 2017, 10:24:16 pm »

Not that I think there is anything in the reports, but I've definitely read an article (possibly from Reddy) in the past few days stating it would have no effect on a move for Sessegnon as he is a first team player.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92758 on: April 10, 2017, 10:29:04 pm »
Ffs forgot all about this game! 

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #92759 on: April 10, 2017, 10:39:50 pm »
Ffs forgot all about this game! 

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

They did well to come back against a good Southampton side. Harry Wilson doing the business.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"