Author Topic: Glastonbury 2024  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Glastonbury 2024
« on: September 22, 2023, 06:12:51 pm »
So with the tickets sale date apparently being set for Nov 5th

Anyone planning on going?

I'll almost certainly be there as usual.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Glastonbury 2024
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 10:05:19 pm »
Been to the last 4 but haven’t got through to the ticket portal once, fully expecting my luck to run out but definitely will be trying.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 04:02:30 pm »
Currently looking like the headliners will be:

Coldplay
Dua Lipa
Madonna
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 05:54:14 pm »

Coldplay
Dua Lipa
Madonna

Dua Lipa and Madonna would put on great shows and the former should have a new album out by then, but Coldplay just play the same song for two hours.
What's your pleasure?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 08:18:28 pm »

Dua Lipa and Madonna would put on great shows and the former should have a new album out by then, but Coldplay just play the same song for two hours.

All 3 would draw huge crowds. Madonna is the most interesting as she has never played it but for my money is on Dua Lipa stealing the show. I also reckon she can beat Madonna for most headliner dress changes!

Likely wouldn't bother my arse seeing any of them though.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2023, 10:52:01 am »

Not true though is it? 😂

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2023, 10:52:52 am »
Ticket sale date been delayed due to a **** up with the registrations...

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2023, 11:08:39 am »

Coldplay
Dua Lipa
Madonna

Thought The Boss would be the male headliner.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2023, 05:33:43 pm »

What a mad sentence.

Thought The Boss would be the male headliner.
He's got a very convenient gap in his schedule that weekend and is on tour around Europe, so it would make complete sense to have him.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2023, 08:34:04 am »
Anyone trying for tickets this mornings? Good luck if you are!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 08:45:26 am »
Anyone trying for tickets this mornings? Good luck if you are!

Yep have a group of six, I'll be relying on everyone but myself with my luck! Fingers crossed for you too mate!

No joy here, gutted!  :(
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 10:10:10 am by damomad »

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2023, 10:58:21 am »
Got them! Returning to the best place on earth after five long years.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2023, 11:45:07 am »
Not true though is it? 😂

No, unfortunately Coldplay play several airless, little-energy post-OK Computer songs. It isn't one song, it's a miasma of dull feelings

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 07:05:01 am »
Yep have a group of six, I'll be relying on everyone but myself with my luck! Fingers crossed for you too mate!

No joy here, gutted!  :(

No Joy here either, Looks like this year will be the only year i'll ever go haha

Did anyone see the stuff about some people being able to go back and buy more tickets after already buying some?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 08:55:03 am »
I know people will disagree with me and Glastonbury isn't all about the music

But thats a terrible line up

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 08:57:18 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 09:12:43 am »
Yeah that's pretty uninspired. Dua Lipa is fair enough, she's hugely successful, but SZA? However good she might be, she's just not big enough to be a headliner. Coldplay are big enough but their time was like 10 years ago, it's the most unoriginal choice for a headliner ever. And the other artists don't look great either.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 09:28:27 am »
Boring headliners but it is obviously not all about that.

How the fuck did Coldplay ever get so big though?

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 11:13:34 am »
Coldplay and Keane on the Pyramid, wow.  That said if you get the chance to watch PJ Harvey, you take it.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2024, 11:23:25 am »
Cyndi Lauper is still alive?

I kinda expected it wouldn't be my cup of tea this year. It was just perfect last year, for me.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2024, 11:41:02 am »
blimey ...thats a pretty shite lineup....and I don't just mean the headliners....fairly thin gruel on every stage
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2024, 11:50:49 am »
blimey ...thats a pretty shite lineup....and I don't just mean the headliners....fairly thin gruel on every stage
I'd honestly rather watch the good ones on catch up (Paul Heaton, the National) than blow the best part of a grand on 2 tickets and the stuff around getting/being there. I have a woman friend whose facebook  page has a photo of her and my mate sitting on a blanket in 1984, with Van Morrison's ford and tent 50 yards behind them. What a contrast.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2024, 12:08:28 pm »
Feels a very uninspiring line up on the main stage, though if Id got a ticket I’d have been quite happy spending the weekend at the other stage. Idles, the National, The Streets, two door cinema club, bloc party etc. much more my thing ;D

Having pop acts is fine but it helps if there’s at least some edge to them. Billie Eilish was interesting. I appreciate Dua Lipa’s music is popular but it seems like the most bland version of pop.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2024, 01:04:19 pm »
Worst lineup I can remember, only a handful of acts I can be arsed with there. Still going as I'm working but wouldn't pay with a lineup like that.

Maybe festivals in general are done, most lineups Ive seen this year are really poor.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2024, 02:38:37 pm »
Maybe festivals in general are done, most lineups Ive seen this year are really poor.

Probably depends what kind of music you like but traditional rock bands have been on the decline for years so it’s probably no massive surprise that there aren’t many coming through to headline a festival like Glastonbury.

I’m an indie type so have probably felt this particularly badly but looking at the headliners for Reading / Leeds, which is traditionally a rock festival, and it’s got Lana del ray, Gerry cinnamon (who I’ve never heard of ;D ), catfish and the bottlemen (who seemed to peak about 8 years ago), Liam Gallagher (who peaked many years ago ;D ), blink 182 (ditto) and Fred again (who I’ve again never xx heard of and seems to be a dance producer).

I’ve plucked the line up from 2005 at random and you’ve got pixies, foo fighters, iron maiden, killers, kings of Leon, Marilyn Manson, QOTS, razor light, the coral, elbow, the charlatans, iggy and the stooges, kasabian, bloc party, babyshambles, etc. An unbelievably different vibe, a variety of different kinds of rock / guitar music, some legends, some mainstream successes, some up and coming bands. Just seems a million miles away from the current offering.

I think I’m just getting old :lmao

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2024, 06:34:16 pm »
Yeah that's pretty uninspired. Dua Lipa is fair enough, she's hugely successful, but SZA? However good she might be, she's just not big enough to be a headliner. Coldplay are big enough but their time was like 10 years ago, it's the most unoriginal choice for a headliner ever. And the other artists don't look great either.

I would much rather listen to SZA than Dua Lipa.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2024, 06:36:04 pm »
Nice to see Michael Kiwanuka on the Pyramid.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2024, 06:38:28 pm »
SZA, Burna Boy, Little Simz Paloma Faith, Janelle Monae,Michael Kiwanuka  looks like a great lineup to me, but maybe not one in line with traditional Glastonbury lineups, more Rnb than Rock.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2024, 07:34:07 pm »
Probably depends what kind of music you like but traditional rock bands have been on the decline for years so it’s probably no massive surprise that there aren’t many coming through to headline a festival like Glastonbury.

I’m an indie type so have probably felt this particularly badly but looking at the headliners for Reading / Leeds, which is traditionally a rock festival, and it’s got Lana del ray, Gerry cinnamon (who I’ve never heard of ;D ), catfish and the bottlemen (who seemed to peak about 8 years ago), Liam Gallagher (who peaked many years ago ;D ), blink 182 (ditto) and Fred again (who I’ve again never xx heard of and seems to be a dance producer).

I’ve plucked the line up from 2005 at random and you’ve got pixies, foo fighters, iron maiden, killers, kings of Leon, Marilyn Manson, QOTS, razor light, the coral, elbow, the charlatans, iggy and the stooges, kasabian, bloc party, babyshambles, etc. An unbelievably different vibe, a variety of different kinds of rock / guitar music, some legends, some mainstream successes, some up and coming bands. Just seems a million miles away from the current offering.

I think I’m just getting old :lmao

😁 Well we are all getting old however it's definitely not just that. There's loads of factors; the way we consume music, changes in our going out habits, demographic changes. Plus as art form popular music may have reached one of those creative cul de sacs where we are waiting for a bulldozer like punk or rave in the past to smash through a new direction. Who knows!

The weird lineup you highlighted at Leeds shows there's a market amongst the young for older acts, they are just a strange collection. I'd only be interested in seeing Lana out of that lot.

Going back in time the only time I went to that festival was for just the Sunday in 2003 and looking at the lineup for that day we had Blur, The White Stripes, Beck, Doves, The Streets, The Libertines, The Darkness, The Thrills and Jet. All on one day! No one can convince me things are hunky dory in the festival/music scene comparing that to today's lineups.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 07:35:51 pm by Bobsackamano »

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2024, 08:52:18 pm »
I would much rather listen to SZA than Dua Lipa.

I'm just talking about how big they are as artists. Dua Lipa has had hits for several years and is huge here and in the US. SZA just doesn't have the hits or the profile to headline Glastonbury.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 01:00:40 am »
They should have a tribute act stage the only other tribute act I can remember playing Glastonbury was The Bootleg Beatles on the early Sunday afternoon on the main stage
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2024, 07:13:36 am »
Never heard of SZA 🤔 I am an old miserable  bastard though
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2024, 09:22:32 am »
IDLES on the Other vs Fontaines at the Park. Stinker of a clash, pretty big crossover in fan bases there.

SZA is an interesting headliner although will likely pull the smallest crowd of the 3. 

Plenty of Irish representation which is brilliant to see: Kneecap, Newdad, Mary Wallopers, Lankum, Fontaines, TDCC. Seems to be a bit of a musical boom on the isle.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2024, 02:25:31 pm »

10 years ago really? Coldplay are bigger than they have ever been

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2024, 02:26:09 pm »
Never heard of SZA 🤔 I am an old miserable  bastard though

Never heard of her either, Apparently she's Madonna's replacement....

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2024, 08:33:15 pm »
10 years ago really? Coldplay are bigger than they have ever been

They're not, their last really big album was 2015 (sold over 2m copies) - the last two albums have sold about a quarter of that.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2024, 01:01:32 pm »
They're not, their last really big album was 2015 (sold over 2m copies) - the last two albums have sold about a quarter of that.
That's only because everyone streams singles these days instead of buying albums

Have you not seen their last couple of tours?? They sold out 6 nights in Wembley just only two years ago, 4 nights in Manchester last year, Only Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Ed Sheeran earned more in the summer of 2023
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadellatto/2023/10/13/the-top-earning-summer-concert-tours-2023-taylor-swift-beyonce/

And they've still got dates this year to finish off the tour which includes 4 sold out shows in Dublin (Croke Park)

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2024, 05:59:45 pm »
That's only because everyone streams singles these days instead of buying albums

Have you not seen their last couple of tours?? They sold out 6 nights in Wembley just only two years ago, 4 nights in Manchester last year, Only Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Ed Sheeran earned more in the summer of 2023
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadellatto/2023/10/13/the-top-earning-summer-concert-tours-2023-taylor-swift-beyonce/

And they've still got dates this year to finish off the tour which includes 4 sold out shows in Dublin (Croke Park)

Streaming singles still counts towards album sales though, anyway they haven't really had any big singles since 2015. Maybe that one with BTS. Obviously they still sell out tours and are still big, but they're not bigger than ever. They were everywhere between about 2005 and 2015, but they're not anymore. I don't hate them but it's the laziest choice ever, especially when they've already done it four times. The Killers would've been a better choice if they were going down that route.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 06:44:43 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2024, 10:35:38 am »

Coldplay's last 2 albums or the singles from them weren't among the best sellers in the yr they were released, the only top 10 singles would have had younger acts featuring on them, in that period.  People still watch them live in big numbers, but they are largely a nostaliga act. But nostalgia is huge, Bruce springsteen also has big sold out tours, but hasn't had a hit single since in 90's

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2024, 08:29:25 am »
Streaming singles still counts towards album sales though, anyway they haven't really had any big singles since 2015. Maybe that one with BTS. Obviously they still sell out tours and are still big, but they're not bigger than ever. They were everywhere between about 2005 and 2015, but they're not anymore. I don't hate them but it's the laziest choice ever, especially when they've already done it four times. The Killers would've been a better choice if they were going down that route.
They are also playing radio 1 big weekend on top of a masssive tour still to finish! 75.3 million monthly listeners on spotify too ;)

I agree with the Killers shout, But i think the problem in this day and age is there aren't many "headliners" coming through,  especially when it comes to Bands, Who could potentially headline in the future? Taylor Swift? Harry Styles? I think Sam Fender is definitely headliner material but who else?