Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1841253 times)

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #19120 on: January 12, 2023, 11:08:28 am »
I've seen asthmatic sloths move with more speed and purpose than Youri Tielemans.

I for one, am interested in Asthmatic Sloths, and firmly believe if we sign one, we may see a dramatic improvement in our performance at the upcoming 2nd International Sloth Symposium.

The 1st one was a blast.
https://m.facebook.com/events/700798757766147/
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19121 on: January 12, 2023, 01:07:13 pm »
Am i the only one that thinks one midfielder would transom our midfield?
could give us a window of opportunity I guess.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19122 on: January 12, 2023, 09:19:47 pm »
Tielemans is not good enough for us and we really need to get some proper quality in there, not stock up on more sub par players in that area.

We need Caicedo in, right now. Why we haven't pulled the trigger on him already is beyond me. Quality, young, versatile - what are FSG / Klopp waiting for?

Would be happy to see Caicedo. Certainly a hard grafter, runs a lot, covers ground and space.

Would be more effective for us than all our midfielders.

Offline grenny158

• Main Stander
  • Be kind.
« Reply #19123 on: January 13, 2023, 05:53:10 am »
Would be happy to see Caicedo. Certainly a hard grafter, runs a lot, covers ground and space.

Would be more effective for us than all our midfielders.

Without a shadow of doubt.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #19124 on: January 13, 2023, 10:35:58 am »
Am i the only one that thinks one midfielder would transom our midfield?

It won't, and it won't transform our defence or suddenly get us pressing like a well oiled machine again either.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #19125 on: January 13, 2023, 10:48:10 am »
It won't, and it won't transform our defence or suddenly get us pressing like a well oiled machine again either.

One god signing is unlikely to solve all the problems but it might go a long way to solve most of them. If Thiago doesn't have to do as much tracking back then he'll be better placed to be creative. If more tackles can be won in midfield then we will cut down the number of counter-attacks etc.

There's one thing that is certain, our midfield is not working and it is showing. Improvements here will have a knock on effect which will be much greater than bring in another player in any other position.
#JFT97

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #19126 on: January 13, 2023, 11:19:23 am »
One god signing

Not sure Robbie Fowler is what we need right now.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #19127 on: January 13, 2023, 12:24:15 pm »
So if there isnt going to be any signings, we have to do something drastic or creative.

Thiago - fabinho - henderson

is seen as the first choice midfield. in theory, this does actually have the right balance of energy, attack and defense. but its aged so badly. The other players, Arthur, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliot, one or two of them need to step up. Only Curtis Jones has the physical prowess similar to Henderson. But he is too inconsistent. Harvey has technical ability, engine, but not quick enough to get the ball, his winning of the ball is lacklustre too. Ox in his peak would probably fit this midfield a lot, pace, power, creativity and shooting all good. But his touch and passing has been off for a few seasons now. Keita just needs to sort his future out, in my mind, he's a goner, and his recent good appearances, is simply for the shop window.

Arthur is a wildcard. We dont even know what he can bring to this midfield, lad hasnt even played in a half season, with a world cup break too. Its actually mad. He has a similar profile to Thiago, but can he run as good?

For me, the profile of Trent Alexander-Arnold fits the midfield engine role, he's big, strong, quick, technical, dynamic. It could be a temporary solution to get this team moving.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19128 on: January 13, 2023, 12:30:48 pm »
Play Klopp in midfield because at this point fuck it.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19129 on: January 13, 2023, 12:32:27 pm »
Play Klopp in midfield because at this point fuck it.
Just go 5-0-5 and go full Wimbledon

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #19130 on: January 13, 2023, 12:33:54 pm »
If we don’t get top 4, Klopp walks sadly.

He will never call the owners out and if he walks he will talk about intense years have took it’s toll on him and I wouldn’t blame him. He looks done in :(

Oh well, he’s gave me the best years of my life and if it’s back to 8th then atleast we have the net spend cup and morals.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #19131 on: January 13, 2023, 01:23:06 pm »

He will never call the owners out and if he walks he will talk about intense years have took it’s toll on him and I wouldn’t blame him. He looks done in :(

Oh well, he’s gave me the best years of my life and if it’s back to 8th then atleast we have the net spend cup and morals.

he wouldn’t.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #19132 on: January 13, 2023, 01:32:25 pm »
The midfield is definitely an issue but in the context of the tactical setup making it hard to have any compactness at all. The way were set up, it opens up the middle of the pitch so much that, with the current legs there, its impossible to close down space. Add in that we don't seem to press much from the front, like we used to anyway, the midfield, with its current personnel, becomes a huge issue.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 01:37:09 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19133 on: January 13, 2023, 01:36:46 pm »
Jurgen is shifting the teams style away from counter pressing and intensity to a more possession based ‘death by football’ playbook. Many ways to skin the cat.

It is a vision that collectively will take time to implement especially as many of the older squad are used to playing in the old intensity-based press. But he’s shifting away from it to be more expansive. It was always a transitional season in that regard.

We would need athletic physical midfielders if we were trying to play the old pressing way, but it doesn’t look like we are do maybe such midfielders aren’t required anymore.

It’s speculation of course because only two or three people here actually have insight into what he wants. But circumstantially the evidence is compelling. Look at Pep’s book! No way that would’ve been allowed to be released unless it was a bait and switch to deceive teams into formulating a strategy against how Klopp teams used to play as opposed to how they will be playing.

So tell me, then, why Klopp, an all time great, thinks it's a good idea to implement a system that we don't have the players for. to me, that's doing it backwards.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19134 on: January 13, 2023, 01:40:47 pm »

Yeah that's his character to a tee.  :butt

Only way I can see him walking is if he loses the match going crowd and Anfield ends up as full of lunatics as the internet. He'll think that is unfixable.
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19135 on: January 13, 2023, 01:43:34 pm »
One midfielder won't suffice. We need 3, even 4 over the two coming summers. We might need 2 BEFORE the summer, in January if we are to salvage anything from this season.

Hendo is finished as a starter, Milner is just finished, Ox is leaving thank god), Keita, as good as he is, is leaving, Elliott is not a midfielder. That's 3 leaving and 2 not good enough, 5 in total. So a minimum of 3 in the near future is a must.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #19136 on: January 13, 2023, 01:48:07 pm »
One midfielder won't suffice. We need 3, even 4 over the two coming summers. We might need 2 BEFORE the summer, in January if we are to salvage anything from this season.

Hendo is finished as a starter, Milner is just finished, Ox is leaving thank god), Keita, as good as he is, is leaving, Elliott is not a midfielder. That's 3 leaving and 2 not good enough, 5 in total. So a minimum of 3 in the near future is a must.

Apparently, either Klopp doesn't agree with you or we are so skint we cannot fund a £20-30 million transfer from France, Germany or Brazil.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19137 on: January 13, 2023, 01:49:16 pm »
Apparently, either Klopp doesn't agree with you or we are so skint we cannot fund a £20-30 million transfer from France, Germany or Brazil.

Can't touch the Bellingham money.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan

• Legacy Fan
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #19140 on: January 13, 2023, 02:09:26 pm »
he wouldn’t.
Did he not walk out of Dortmund because it got too much?
I don’t blame him but let’s not kid ourselves that there’s a possibility he might call it quits.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19141 on: January 13, 2023, 02:13:33 pm »
he wouldn’t.
nope.  no way in hell would he do that.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #19142 on: January 13, 2023, 02:15:06 pm »
Yeah that's his character to a tee.  :butt

Only way I can see him walking is if he loses the match going crowd and Anfield ends up as full of lunatics as the internet. He'll think that is unfixable.
He’s never losing the crowd though? Btw I’d keep him here forever but it’s not fair for him to constantly be the underdog with each year it getting harder.
Look at dortmund, he was there for 7 ‘intense’ years as he calls it. He left because he needed the break.
Why would he put himself through it here, if the by the sounds of his comments then he’s very restricted.

In November there was a good feeling about investment. Todays interview was probably the lowest I’ve ever seen him. He knows there problems, he knows transfers can help but he hasn’t got that option. It kills me because I’ve accepted 8th when he goes. But to fall out when he’s in charge, really kills me that he’s been let down.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #19143 on: January 13, 2023, 02:15:56 pm »
LFCJayy has a pretty strong track record guys, I'd be inclined to believe it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19144 on: January 13, 2023, 02:19:15 pm »

Well the club better be reimbursing me for my 'Normal One' mug. Fuming.

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19145 on: January 13, 2023, 02:30:28 pm »
He’s never losing the crowd though? Btw I’d keep him here forever but it’s not fair for him to constantly be the underdog with each year it getting harder.
Look at dortmund, he was there for 7 ‘intense’ years as he calls it. He left because he needed the break.
Why would he put himself through it here, if the by the sounds of his comments then he’s very restricted.

In November there was a good feeling about investment. Todays interview was probably the lowest I’ve ever seen him. He knows there problems, he knows transfers can help but he hasn’t got that option. It kills me because I’ve accepted 8th when he goes. But to fall out when he’s in charge, really kills me that he’s been let down.

He isn't a victim. He's in the room when decisions are made and his opinion probably holds the most weight in that room i'd imagine. There is a financial reality, yes - but come on.

If he is low, I'd imagine it's because at the moment it's a good job we have bad luck because otherwise we'd have no luck at all. Every time somebody moves a hamstring snaps. That's the product of playing 7000 games last season, a midseason world cup - and in my opinion, a hefty preseason that seems like it was a terrible idea. And I reckon that preseason was his idea rather than FSGs.

We can't sign anyone because our squad is full. No room at the inn. Contracts running down. Massive injury lists. We can't move anyone on.

We're all low. Everyone connected with the club is low. It's a pisser. But I'd be shocked if he walked.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #19146 on: January 13, 2023, 02:35:11 pm »
?? For saying I wouldn’t put it past our manager walking if it gets too much?
Find it strange how people don’t think it’s not a possibility.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19147 on: January 13, 2023, 02:37:01 pm »

I was backing you mate, don't know why anyone else was doubting what you were saying.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #19148 on: January 13, 2023, 02:42:03 pm »
He isn't a victim. He's in the room when decisions are made and his opinion probably holds the most weight in that room i'd imagine. There is a financial reality, yes - but come on.

If he is low, I'd imagine it's because at the moment it's a good job we have bad luck because otherwise we'd have no luck at all. Every time somebody moves a hamstring snaps. That's the product of playing 7000 games last season, a midseason world cup - and in my opinion, a hefty preseason that seems like it was a terrible idea. And I reckon that preseason was his idea rather than FSGs.

We can't sign anyone because our squad is full. No room at the inn. Contracts running down. Massive injury lists. We can't move anyone on.

We're all low. Everyone connected with the club is low. It's a pisser. But I'd be shocked if he walked.
Of course he’s in the room and ye maybe he has had a part. But we can’t just sit there and play down a possibility. The club has lost a lot of important people, we have no clarity with what’s going to happen. With rumours of other clubs getting new owners and investment. This is the worst possible time to be going through our mini crisis.

Similar to Pep, once they feel they’ve gave there all they will look to see what’s best at the club. Just a question for anyone, let’s say we finish 7th this season and he’s not given funds in the summer for rebuild. Do you think he could walk or no chance?

Offline grenny158

• Main Stander
  • Be kind.
« Reply #19149 on: January 13, 2023, 02:44:44 pm »

He absolutely would not walk. He is already on record as having discussed the current team with the owners as informing them that we are a team in transition .. that is why he signed a contract extension - to oversee the transition period.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #19150 on: January 13, 2023, 02:45:53 pm »
Ah balls, so no midfielder this window is confirmed after Klopp stating it (and being annoyed as well, which says a lot).. why didn't we buy a jaysis midfielder instead of Gakpo then, if we have no money for players?!

I really hope he stays, and we just steady the ship..this is the toughest times since he came..hope him, the team (and us fans), keep it together and be all together still on the other side..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:47:46 pm by Realgman »
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #19151 on: January 13, 2023, 02:46:59 pm »

you said it with certainty - no top 4 - he will walk.   You didn’t suggest a possibility of it happening!

Any manager can leave of course, for a multitude of reasons. So long as no factors outside the football part of it, means he has to leave, then no, can’t see how he’d leave this summer just because it’s likely Liverpool won’t be in the CL next season.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #19152 on: January 13, 2023, 02:51:21 pm »
Not sure Robbie Fowler is what we need right now.

;D ;D
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #19153 on: January 13, 2023, 02:58:41 pm »
you said it with certainty - no top 4 - he will walk.   You didn’t suggest a possibility of it happening!

Any manager can leave of course, for a multitude of reasons. So long as no factors outside the football part of it, means he has to leave, then no, can’t see how he’d leave this summer just because it’s likely Liverpool won’t be in the CL next season.
Fair enough, it’s probability even though my personal thoughts is that the way it’s looking he probably will if nothing changes.

Us being in the CL is different compared to our rivals. Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United can afford it because they’ll invest in the playing squad regardless. When we was in europa we couldn’t even attract a washed up Wesley Sneijder.

Our budget is completely different, never mind signing Jude because that won’t happen without CL money. So we will be further behind our rivals and makes the job even harder. Reports is we have £250m budget (we know it’s bullshit already) if we make the CL and there’s already two lists for transfers incase we miss out.

Klopp for me is the best manager in the world for the past 5 years if you look at everything involved. For the restrictions he’s had compared to others, but when does it catch up to him and says that’s all I can do?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19154 on: January 13, 2023, 02:59:55 pm »

You've been trolling on here for a while.  ;D

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19155 on: January 13, 2023, 03:07:15 pm »

And a Premier League. And a Champions League. And a World Club Cup. And an FA Cup. And a League Cup. And some of the best seasons many of us have had in 30+ years.

We've been cheated out of 2 league titles, lost 2 other Champions League finals, a UEFA Cup final and a league cup final.

But yeah, FSG are awful and have never backed Jurgen. Can't believe he hasn't called them out and walked already.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19156 on: January 13, 2023, 03:09:38 pm »
Of course he’s in the room and ye maybe he has had a part.

Maybe :lmao

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19157 on: January 13, 2023, 03:13:43 pm »
Klopp left Dortmund because they sold his best players every single off season and expected him to keep competing.

Here we don't sell his best players, but we aren't providing the funds he needs to keep us competitive.  If FSG aren't able or willing to fund signings I think he could well end up calling it quits.  I don't believe he's the sort to settle for less than the best and his hands are tied by the owners right now.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #19158 on: January 13, 2023, 03:18:06 pm »
And a Premier League. And a Champions League. And a World Club Cup. And an FA Cup. And a League Cup. And some of the best seasons many of us have had in 30+ years.

We've been cheated out of 2 league titles, lost 2 other Champions League finals, a UEFA Cup final and a league cup final.

But yeah, FSG are awful and have never backed Jurgen. Can't believe he hasn't called them out and walked already.

Backed him with luxury signings like Davies, Kabak and Melo. As for calling them out he has done so on many occasions. Today he made it clear in the press conference that the reason we are not signing a midfield player is money.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19159 on: January 13, 2023, 03:19:25 pm »