Author Topic: The Drinkwater option  (Read 3248 times)

Offline spartan2785

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Drinkwater option
« Reply #40 on: November 1, 2023, 06:44:35 pm »
I don't know if the players that go out constantly on loan really qualify for this type of distinction.  To me it sounds like a miserable life by the standards of a footballer, never having a home really, constantly trying to learn new teammates, coaches, other staff.  At least if you're on loan, you're most likely still expected to contribute to whatever club you're at, Drinkwater and guys like the 4th string goalkeeper who's at some club for purely homegrown status aren't going to be expected to actually compete or maintain a standard of form.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 1, 2023, 06:47:28 pm »
Alex Teixeira. (I suppose he just chose the money after Shakhtar rebuffed our offer.)
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #42 on: November 1, 2023, 07:10:35 pm »
one of his new teammates at Shanghai Port is - Oscar! From a nailed on starter for Chelsea across four seasons - winning two league titles - and keeping the in-form Coutinho out of the Brazil team, he took the money and headed to China as a 25-year old.  To be fair he wasn't the only one but he's a rarity in that he's still there seven seasons later.  Needless to say he's not added to his 48 Brazil caps but he's presumably incredibly rich without exerting too much energy.

Relevant reasonably recent article on Oscar:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/28/oscar-chinese-super-league-saudi-boom-era
Oscar’s Chinese purgatory offers players cautionary tale in Saudi boom era
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #43 on: November 1, 2023, 08:09:50 pm »
There's a handful of goalies who accepted offers to be number 2 or 3 at clubs simply due to their nationality. Scott Carson comes to mind.
The number 3 keeper is the dream job.

Offline vladis voice

• Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: November 1, 2023, 08:46:19 pm »
Agree about the ageing reserve keeper gig, although to be fair I’ve always seen that as a kind off natural justice as even top keepers never seem to command the kind of wages that middling outfield players do so that long career tail feels like karma.

Rodwell best shout for me so far for pure mercenary refusal to move on, there’s a few ex evertonians that spring to mind though - Jeffers went to Arsenal and barely played throughout his years on the books there, Barkley at Chelsea (+ random loans) etc.