Poll

The incoming Tory Tax Cuts..

Brilliant! With everyone struggling at the moment, a few hundred quid would be most welcome
Maybe a small one, but money should be spent on failing public services
I am an egg and I like cheese and fluffy squirrels called Bob. Bob the Fluffy squirrel is my fave babes.
There shouldn't be a tax cut when public services are already so broken. Keep spending what we are
Far more investment is needed in this country. Spend the money where it's needed now and fuck this stupid Austerity shite.

Author Topic: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES  (Read 1317449 times)

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Re: Aren't Tories Wankers!
« Reply #21920 on: February 5, 2023, 09:22:21 am »
Why’s she even been given the platform to speak? She should be viewed by all and sundry as a laughing stock. Forget about what she’s saying, who’s letting her have her say, and why?

Someone who wants to outdo you Nick for laughs.

I read her comeback piece early this morning and found myself laughing at each paragraph as her finger pointed at more and more people and departments for downing her brilliant ideas and policies.

Don’t worry though, your one liners will outlive her attempt to make us all 😂

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #21921 on: February 5, 2023, 10:58:08 am »
I assume Sunak can choose to sack her if he so wished?

Leaders can't sack MPs, as they've been voted into parliament by their constituencies, not appointed by the party (it's this system that means we don't get byelections when MPs quit the party of their own accord).

The most the Tories could do is withdraw the whip, but that's only done for disloyalty, of the MP has done something so shameful that it reflects badly on the party itself. Being generally useless isn't considered enough!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #21922 on: February 5, 2023, 11:08:57 am »
The Torys are split, I think both sides know...

For what it's worth, I think there are more than two main 'sides' in the Tory party presently. You've got the current group of Sunak supporters (who may only back him because more mutinies in a single election cycle would look terrible), you've got Truss's low-tax zero-regulation 'growth at all costs' lot and you've got Johnson's "stoke culture wars and make any kind of promise to limp over the GE line and keep our seats" faction.

This is without factoring in smaller divisions such as the ERG kicking off over any threat to implement the NIP they voted for, as well as any possible remaining rump of sensible Tories who actually want a workable NI solution.

Because I sincerely believe the Tories see no difference between their party and the country, they are one and the same in their self-entitled, born to rule pig fucking minds.

One of the main apects of Right Wing thinking is that there a group of people who naturally 'should' be in power and making decisions (which is of course them) and everyone else who shouldn't. It's totally antithetical to their sense of how the world 'should' work that others get to tell them what to do (how much tax to pay, introduce laws they don't support, all that stuff).

The actual governance aspect is secondary to ensuring that the 'right' people are in charge. The trouble for them right now is that they are deeply divided on the best way to retain that power.

Ulimately this is what's driving Sunak's inaction on anything important, he can't be sure of support from the party. So all they focus on is the small boats issue, Ukraine, and trying to associate Labour with the strikes in general, and Starmer with Corbyn specifically.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21923 on: February 5, 2023, 12:04:53 pm »
Reading Truss back - a few things spring to mind beyond the fact she’s a fucking cretin.

1) A PM apppinted outside an election doesn’t need a new one to be PM. They absolutely do if they want to pursue a “mandate” seperate to their manifesto. It’s a horrible mixture of deluded and dangerous that the majority of the Tories believe their membership can give that. (Slightly different with Starmer dumping the Labour manifesto, or indeed Corbyn dumping Milibands as they were roundly rejected and ultimately make no difference to anything).

2) This talk of shadowy forces and mysterious establishments is as far-right a trope as you can possibly get. (And let’s not even get into what those tropes usually end up meaning)

Online Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21924 on: February 5, 2023, 12:47:17 pm »
The Tory Party and their backers are the establishment though, that’s what is so bizarre about it, and in recent years the likes of Mogg and Boris making out they’re rebellious outsiders taking on the system, rather than privately educated born-to-rule insiders.

Truss is possibly more of an outsider than those two given her comparatively humble background (by politician standards) but she got to be PM despite having no real clue what she was doing, so it’s obvious this shadowy establishment wasn’t fighting very hard to stop her - until she trashed the economy to the point the Bank of England had to step in to protect pension funds. That’s why she was booted out, because she fucked up catastrophically.

She just can’t accept that fact, or more likely is prepared to front it out in order to keep her worthless career going for awhile longer.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21925 on: February 5, 2023, 12:50:09 pm »
The Tory Party and their backers are the establishment though, that’s what is so bizarre about it, and in recent years the likes of Mogg and Boris making out they’re rebellious outsiders taking on the system, rather than privately educated born-to-rule insiders.

Truss is possibly more of an outsider than those two given her comparatively humble background (by politician standards) but she got to be PM despite having no real clue what she was doing, so it’s obvious this shadowy establishment wasn’t fighting very hard to stop her - until she trashed the economy to the point the Bank of England had to step in to protect pension funds. That’s why she was booted out, because she fucked up catastrophically.

She just can’t accept that fact, or more likely is prepared to front it out in order to keep her worthless career going for awhile longer.

This is a woman who has been humiliated at various stages throughout her life. If she has one quality (and i use the term quality loosely), its the ability to keep plowing on and keep coming back no matter how much she is shown up.

I was hoping she actually was suffering a lot as over the autumn there were articles stating that she was in a bad place personally due to the ridicule. But again, like a scum cockroach, she keeps crawling back.

That said, she is a laughing stock, so there is hopefully more humiliation for her round the corner.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #21926 on: February 5, 2023, 01:01:30 pm »
This is a woman who has been humiliated at various stages throughout her life. If she has one quality (and i use the term quality loosely), its the ability to keep plowing on and keep coming back no matter how much she is shown up.

I was hoping she actually was suffering a lot as over the autumn there were articles stating that she was in a bad place personally due to the ridicule. But again, like a scum cockroach, she keeps crawling back.

That said, she is a laughing stock, so there is hopefully more humiliation for her round the corner.

She’s not coming back into frontline politics this side of a general election, she’ll do the rounds on Talk TV and GB News for a week or two and then people will get bored. After the election is another matter as she has a very, very safe seat and if a lot of the current known faces like Raab, Johnson get the boot she might make a reappearance I suspect in a shadow cabinet depending on whether defeat moves the Tories to the centre or further to the right.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21927 on: February 5, 2023, 01:26:28 pm »
She’s not coming back into frontline politics this side of a general election, she’ll do the rounds on Talk TV and GB News for a week or two and then people will get bored. After the election is another matter as she has a very, very safe seat and if a lot of the current known faces like Raab, Johnson get the boot she might make a reappearance I suspect in a shadow cabinet depending on whether defeat moves the Tories to the centre or further to the right.

Given she tonked the economy overnight alongside her nutjob chancellor I don’t know how safe her seat is anymore.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21928 on: February 5, 2023, 01:38:50 pm »
Given she tonked the economy overnight alongside her nutjob chancellor I don’t know how safe her seat is anymore.

I’d like to think you were right but her majority of 26k is probably safe as is probably my own local MP Kwasi Kwarteng with a similar majority. Our area isn’t particularly wealthy, or rural or any of the things you would assume makes an area very Tory but for some reason that’s what it is.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21929 on: February 5, 2023, 01:43:48 pm »
...she has a very, very safe seat...

from Wiki:

SW Norfolk is a "Strong Right" seat characterised by socially conservative values and strong support for Brexit.

Those folks aren't voting Lib Dem or Labour anytime soon

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21930 on: February 5, 2023, 02:10:27 pm »
For what it's worth, I think there are more than two main 'sides' in the Tory party presently. You've got the current group of Sunak supporters (who may only back him because more mutinies in a single election cycle would look terrible), you've got Truss's low-tax zero-regulation 'growth at all costs' lot and you've got Johnson's "stoke culture wars and make any kind of promise to limp over the GE line and keep our seats" faction.

This is without factoring in smaller divisions such as the ERG kicking off over any threat to implement the NIP they voted for, as well as any possible remaining rump of sensible Tories who actually want a workable NI solution.

One of the main apects of Right Wing thinking is that there a group of people who naturally 'should' be in power and making decisions (which is of course them) and everyone else who shouldn't. It's totally antithetical to their sense of how the world 'should' work that others get to tell them what to do (how much tax to pay, introduce laws they don't support, all that stuff).

The actual governance aspect is secondary to ensuring that the 'right' people are in charge. The trouble for them right now is that they are deeply divided on the best way to retain that power.

Ulimately this is what's driving Sunak's inaction on anything important, he can't be sure of support from the party. So all they focus on is the small boats issue, Ukraine, and trying to associate Labour with the strikes in general, and Starmer with Corbyn specifically.
Yeah, they are split but am talking about how they move forward after Truss destroying the Torys safe pair of hands, some MPs including the ERG want her to front it out and defend her tax cuts trickle down budget. others know it will never work as the public believe she is too blame.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21931 on: February 5, 2023, 02:43:30 pm »

from Wiki:

SW Norfolk is a "Strong Right" seat characterised by socially conservative values and strong support for Brexit.

Those folks aren't voting Lib Dem or Labour anytime soon

Probably not but some may be feeling the effects of the ongoing state of the country.  Then we have Johnson scraping about in search of a safe seat, as his current seat doesn’t appear too safe.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-allies-plotting-find-27594449

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21932 on: February 5, 2023, 02:56:58 pm »
It's hard to be sure what IS a safe Tory seat right now. Some of those polls during the dingbat's ill fated reign pointed the Tories being almost completely wiped out.

Of course, that was never realistic, but the polls are hardly encouraging for them. Tories not bothering to vote at all may be as crucial as voters who switch.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #21933 on: February 5, 2023, 05:13:28 pm »
Vote Rishi - but who will be the PM in a year's time? Johnson? Truss?

Looking good for the GE.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21934 on: February 5, 2023, 05:19:08 pm »
Vote Rishi - but who will be the PM in a year's time? Johnson? Truss?

Looking good for the GE.

Why next year? The latest the Tories can call an election is Jan 2025. They can easily fit another couple of PMs in during that time.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21935 on: February 5, 2023, 05:35:15 pm »
Why next year? The latest the Tories can call an election is Jan 2025. They can easily fit another couple of PMs in during that time.
No, I'm saying, 'Vote Rishi - but who will be the PM in a year's time?' as an election slogan.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21936 on: February 5, 2023, 05:38:32 pm »
No, I'm saying, 'Vote Rishi - but who will be the PM in a year's time?' as an election slogan.

Ah, That's a good one.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21937 on: February 5, 2023, 06:12:31 pm »
Reading Truss back - a few things spring to mind beyond the fact she’s a fucking cretin.

1) A PM apppinted outside an election doesn’t need a new one to be PM. They absolutely do if they want to pursue a “mandate” seperate to their manifesto. It’s a horrible mixture of deluded and dangerous that the majority of the Tories believe their membership can give that. (Slightly different with Starmer dumping the Labour manifesto, or indeed Corbyn dumping Milibands as they were roundly rejected and ultimately make no difference to anything).

2) This talk of shadowy forces and mysterious establishments is as far-right a trope as you can possibly get. (And let’s not even get into what those tropes usually end up meaning)
This is the only bit I really care about. For the most part now she's just an amusing kind of non-entity we can just laugh at, with no chance of getting any power or influence anymore. Like the Tory version of Diane Abbott.

The 'shadowy elite' chat is dangerous though and we all know where that leads.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21938 on: February 5, 2023, 06:51:41 pm »
This is the only bit I really care about. For the most part now she's just an amusing kind of non-entity we can just laugh at, with no chance of getting any power or influence anymore. Like the Tory version of Diane Abbott.

The 'shadowy elite' chat is dangerous though and we all know where that leads.

She’s also a very useful attack line for Labour, next time they come out with the ‘you lot thought Corbyn should be PM’ the obvious retort back should be ‘you lot actually made Truss PM’, but unfortunately Labour do seem to play a bit too nicely for my liking so they probably won’t.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21939 on: February 5, 2023, 06:59:08 pm »
She’s also a very useful attack line for Labour, next time they come out with the ‘you lot thought Corbyn should be PM’ the obvious retort back should be ‘you lot actually made Truss PM’, but unfortunately Labour do seem to play a bit too nicely for my liking so they probably won’t.
It's even better than that because she's still a member of the Tory party and it's not impossible that they might elect her as leader again. I don't know if there's a market for next leader of the opposition, but she should probably be among the favourites ;D

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #21940 on: February 5, 2023, 07:33:54 pm »

I don't think it's useful at all - the majority of Tory MPs didn't vote for Truss, it was the members who put her in post. And unless they then took a job in her cabinet then they aren't that linked to her failure. Sunak repeats his pathetic lines about Corbyn because Starmer served in the Shadow cabinet under Corbyn through two GE campaigns (implictly approving him for the job of PM) - but there aren't many Tories that would be hurt by a similar attack. Sunak himself first ran against her directly and then just hid on the backbenches during the Truss years weeks, I don't remember him doing much of anything.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21941 on: February 5, 2023, 07:42:32 pm »
I don't think it's useful at all - the majority of Tory MPs didn't vote for Truss, it was the members who put her in post. And unless they then took a job in her cabinet then they aren't that linked to her failure. Sunak repeats his pathetic lines about Corbyn because Starmer served in the Shadow cabinet under Corbyn through two GE campaigns (implictly approving him for the job of PM) - but there aren't many Tories that would be hurt by a similar attack. Sunak himself first ran against her directly and then just hid on the backbenches during the Truss years weeks, I don't remember him doing much of anything.

A better one would be "you're all that fucking useless, the membership had no choice but the elect Truss as leader and make her PM"
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21942 on: February 5, 2023, 07:43:53 pm »
I see your point, but does it matter. It will score points with Joe Public.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21943 on: February 5, 2023, 08:13:38 pm »
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21944 on: February 5, 2023, 08:26:48 pm »

We’re not up against Rishi Sunak we’re up against a political ideology and party that thought Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was PM material, and then thought the same of Truss. The Tories spend half their lives making up shit, non-affiliated unions go on strike, and they try and pin it on Labour, affiliated union donations are painted by the Tories as somehow tainted and something to be embarrassed about but how often do we hear anything back from Labour on the Tories and their links to Russian oligarchs? The next election is going to be fought in the gutter and Labour need to be ready to get in there too, lie, cheat, make shit up, bite, eye gouging, whatever it takes to twat the bastards.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21945 on: February 5, 2023, 08:44:43 pm »
There’s an article in todays Observer from Carol Cadwalladr aimed at Carol Vorderman, praising Voderman for highlighting the extent of tax dodging, etc, by Tories, including the PM.  Said article also warns Vorderman how she will be a target by the usual right wing sources including the press.

Vorderman’s been using Twitter to highlight stuff apparently.

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1622226547229790208?

« Last Edit: February 5, 2023, 09:58:33 pm by TSC »

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21946 on: February 5, 2023, 08:50:11 pm »
Polls suggest 30% of the country will still vote for this lot. Now that is seriously worrying and says alot abot the state of the country.  With their track record the tories should be less than 10%.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21947 on: February 5, 2023, 09:00:27 pm »
Polls suggest 30% of the country will still vote for this lot. Now that is seriously worrying and says alot abot the state of the country.  With their track record the tories should be less than 10%.

The only worry really is how many of the Labour and Lib Dem voters are disenfranchised by the Tories voter suppression law.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21948 on: February 5, 2023, 09:02:06 pm »

Fancy a bet?

https://betting.betfair.com/politics/uk-politics-sunaks-tories-are-on-course-for-a-disaster-worse-than-1997-050223-171.html

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21949 on: February 5, 2023, 09:12:00 pm »
The only worry really is how many of the Labour and Lib Dem voters are disenfranchised by the Tories voter suppression law.

It will have an impact but I suspect it won’t be as bad as we’re worried about because those most likely to fall foul of these new rules already have quite a low turnout.

Fancy a bet?

https://betting.betfair.com/politics/uk-politics-sunaks-tories-are-on-course-for-a-disaster-worse-than-1997-050223-171.html

Still only 57% of a Labour majority, that’s actually quite disappointing when you look at the polling. I said it a few days a ago and I’ll say it again, Sunak needs a couple of wins soon otherwise he’ll be out on his arse and the fat blonde clown will be back and then all bets are off with his weird hold over sections of the electorate.
Thinking is overrated.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21950 on: February 5, 2023, 09:34:10 pm »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunaks-election-fundraiser-mohamed-mansour-chased-by-hmrc-n9ct9tk05

Rishi Sunak’s election fundraiser Mohamed Mansour chased by HMRC

He's also been raking it in from still trading with Putin 🤷

The whole lot of 'em stink but fuck all gets done!

Oh and the Telegraph reported in December that he's wanting to buy an English football club 🤦
« Last Edit: February 5, 2023, 09:36:56 pm by reddebs »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21951 on: February 5, 2023, 09:36:22 pm »
It will have an impact but I suspect it won’t be as bad as we’re worried about because those most likely to fall foul of these new rules already have quite a low turnout.

Still only 57% of a Labour majority, that’s actually quite disappointing when you look at the polling. I said it a few days a ago and I’ll say it again, Sunak needs a couple of wins soon otherwise he’ll be out on his arse and the fat blonde clown will be back and then all bets are off with his weird hold over sections of the electorate.
Johnson seems to appeal to non-traditional Tory voters but is a turn off to many of the traditional Tory voters.  It would also be an open goal for Labour to point out that the Tories have run out of ideas.  I really, really hope it happens and Johnson undoes the kudos he received with his lies in 2019 by leading the Tories to a collapse of the blue heartlands.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21952 on: February 5, 2023, 09:38:49 pm »
Sunak needs a couple of wins soon otherwise he’ll be out on his arse and the fat blonde clown will be back and then all bets are off with his weird hold over sections of the electorate.
But at least Labour will then be able to claim to be the party of law and order.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21953 on: February 5, 2023, 09:41:33 pm »
The next election is going to be fought in the gutter and Labour need to be ready to get in there too, lie, cheat, make shit up, bite, eye gouging, whatever it takes to twat the bastards.
I like your style.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21954 on: February 6, 2023, 03:41:37 am »
You cant fight dirtier than the Tories. If Sunak was Labour leader they would go after his and his wife’s nationality, level of immigration currently etc. Anyone really think Labour would do that? If you want to go low then thats the sort of realms you need to get into.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21955 on: February 6, 2023, 08:37:35 am »
You cant fight dirtier than the Tories. If Sunak was Labour leader they would go after his and his wife’s nationality, level of immigration currently etc. Anyone really think Labour would do that? If you want to go low then thats the sort of realms you need to get into.

We won’t do that (the right wing rags might if they want Boris back) but we will and should blame everything on him even if it’s not directly his fault. We should portray him as a weak and small man unprepared for the job and frequent reminders of his wealth are fair game too. None of which should substitute for positive policies for government. It’s oft forgot that while Blair had a positive agenda he was absolutely brutal to Major. Major actually got the economy on track but took the rap for what came before and much else beside including societal issues.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21956 on: February 6, 2023, 10:50:23 am »
We won’t do that (the right wing rags might if they want Boris back) but we will and should blame everything on him even if it’s not directly his fault. We should portray him as a weak and small man unprepared for the job and frequent reminders of his wealth are fair game too. None of which should substitute for positive policies for government. It’s oft forgot that while Blair had a positive agenda he was absolutely brutal to Major. Major actually got the economy on track but took the rap for what came before and much else beside including societal issues.
My memory of that is that Major only got the economy on track when the pound was forced to devalue, which was what he had been fighting against all along with his 15% interest rates. Suddenly, imports became expensive and our exports became cheaper.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #21957 on: February 6, 2023, 11:04:48 am »
My memory of that is that Major only got the economy on track when the pound was forced to devalue, which was what he had been fighting against all along with his 15% interest rates. Suddenly, imports became expensive and our exports became cheaper.

Yeah, with the mess that was Black Wednesday, then the 93 budget, with new taxes introduced, such as VAT on fuel, add in bitter infighting on Europe, sleaze & corruption, [the sleaze & corruption with this government is on another level], by the 97 election the voters had enough, Labour won on a landslide, Tory's were wiped out in Wales & Scotland, were affectively reduced to a middle England party.
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #21958 on: February 6, 2023, 11:20:50 am »

As Bevan remarked:

"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #21959 on: February 6, 2023, 11:35:37 am »

We'd basically pegged the £ to the value of a group of European currencies, via the exchange Rate Mechanism.

The problem was, we'd locked in at too high a rate (ie, the £ was too strong). As this became apparent, an increasing number of city wankers began to short it. In 1992, Italy devalued their currency and the Bundesbank president warned other currencies needed to 'revalue'. City wankers began offloading Sterling. The government had committed to buying any and all currency at inflated prices to try to prop up the £'s value, and also began hiking interest rates to try to tempt city wankers to invest here (and therefore need £'s). It all failed. We unceremoniously exited the ERM.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"