Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 46526 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Rugby League
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2021, 07:42:23 am »
Some matches were scheduled to be held at Anfield, but expansion of the stadium has put paid to that.
#Sausages

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2021, 04:50:20 pm »
RFL and Super League have signed a 10 match deal with Channel 4 to broadcast matches free to air from next season.

What's the fuckin' point of the BBC? To show more Bowels?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2021, 04:52:36 pm »
RFL and Super League have signed a 10 match deal with Channel 4 to broadcast matches free to air from next season.

What's the fuckin' point of the BBC? To show more Bowels?

Only I’m more darker episodes of Casualty.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 7, 2022, 08:41:12 pm »
It's been announced today France will host the 2025 Rugby League World Cup.

We might have a half decent squad by then.  ::)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2022, 03:47:32 pm »
Officially confirmed! Would love to do this trip.  :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/59954758

France will host the 2025 Rugby League World Cup, 71 years after hosting the inaugural tournament in 1954.

The tournament will consist of four versions of the World Cup format; men's, women's, wheelchair and youth, and will take place across 40 cities.

Luc Lacoste, president of the French Rugby League Federation, said: "It is wonderful news.

"We are extremely proud. Together, we will make France 2025 a huge success. The story starts today."

France 2025, which will be staged in October and November, will be the 17th Rugby League World Cup and third in France following 1954 and 1972.

Following the announcement of the hosting by French Prime Minister Jean Castex, chief executive of the RFL Ralph Rimmer said: "I am delighted for Luc Lacoste and his team."

Rimmer added: "It was the imagination and determination of French Rugby League pioneers such as Paul Barriere which established our sport's World Cup in 1954, and it has taken similar qualities to allow this announcement to be made 50 years since France last staged the competition.

"With rugby league in France enjoying a golden year in 2021 this is another major boost to rugby league in Europe and the Northern Hemisphere."

France bid for the event in July after initial plans for the tournament to be held in North America for the first time were scrapped.

The tournament will be the third major sports event to be held in France in consecutive years, following rugby union's World Cup in 2023 and the Olympics in Paris in 2024.

France's hosting of the World Cup will succeed the delayed 2021 staging, a tournament that was put back because of the Covid-19 pandemic and both Australia and New Zealand withdrawing from the initial scheduling.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:49:07 pm by Samie »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2022, 11:21:32 am »
Just seen that Leigh, Warrington and GB absolute legend Des Drummond passed away yesterday aged 63.

First player I remember watching RL and thinking OH wow!, was Des.  I’ve always supported Warrington ever since because of him.

A phenomenal athlete and power lifter who could also run a 10.85 100m.

RIP

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2022, 12:01:01 pm »
Just seen that Leigh, Warrington and GB absolute legend Des Drummond passed away yesterday aged 63.

First player I remember watching RL and thinking OH wow!, was Des.  I’ve always supported Warrington ever since because of him.

RIP

Proper Ray French commentating on Grandtand in the mid 80s vibes with that name. Sad news.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #167 on: February 3, 2022, 12:19:55 pm »

RIP

Sad news. A great player - fast as fuck and tough as teak. I remember being at Saints as a lad when I'd not been going to games that long. He was tackled stood up, and the Saints defenders literally picked him up and began to carry him towards the touchline. Drummond was going apeshit and just began butting the Saints player whose face was closest.

Always a player I would have loved Saints to sign.

I remember him on Superstars, too. I've had to check this, but he came second overall (probably beat by Brian Jacks and his insane squat technique  ;D)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #168 on: February 9, 2022, 05:59:34 am »
Super League starts tomorrow night & annoyingly BT moved our match to tomorrow night, that it clashes with Saints vs Catalan :no , Saturday Channel 4 have a live match, Leeds vs Warrington 12.30pm kickoff
#Sausages

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2022, 01:25:11 pm »
Channel 4's coverage was half decent start. 

AGAIN, Why the fuck hasn't the BBC got live Rugby League coverage here?

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2022, 01:29:31 pm »
Channel 4's coverage was half decent start. 

AGAIN, Why the fuck hasn't the BBC got live Rugby League coverage here?

Would be great for the sport if sky were fucked off and it was all on free to air. So many people would get into it I feel.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2022, 02:30:27 pm »
Agreed mate but the problem is Sky have put money into Rugby League (However little that is) the Beeb wouldn't put more into it than Sky to be honest.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2022, 10:10:38 am »
How not to deliver the ball to the ref

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atb0_XkSldY

:lmao
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2022, 10:14:45 pm »
Big crackdown this season on fouls that cause impact to the head. A few already sent off.

But also seem to be trying to penalise general snide/cheapshot stuff.

Great to see.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2022, 10:16:56 pm »
WRT Super League, after the opening couple of rounds, I can't see past Saints making it 4 on the bounce.

They look miles ahead of everyone else.

I know the pie twats and Wire have won 2 from 2 as well, but both have been gifted wins.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2022, 10:50:04 pm »
Do people who watch this stuff ever graduate to watching real rugby?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2022, 10:51:57 pm »
Yer filthy scruff, get back to watching fat bastards who are gassed after running 10 metres.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2022, 12:37:18 am »
Yer filthy scruff, get back to watching fat bastards who are gassed after running 10 metres.
Answer the question or sling it you numbskull dork.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2022, 11:43:06 am »
Sad news that Va'aiga Tuigamala - Inga the winger - has died aged just 52.

Born in Samoa, he played rugby union in New Zealand and went on to represent the All Blacks 19 times.

When he switched codes to join Wigan in 1993, he became a powerful and destructive running centre or wing. I saw him play live a few times when his team played us. Deeply religious, Jason Robinson has always been open that it was Tuigamala and religion that helped him turn his life around.

After rugby union had given up the 'shamateurism' pretence, he moved to Wasps, then onto Newcastle for a record fee, where he helped them win the league for their only time.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2022, 11:43:17 am »
RIP Va'aiga Tuigamala.

What a player he was, in both codes.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2022, 11:47:21 am »
That’s a real shame. As said, a superstar in both codes and the first ‘giant’ winger I can remember. RIP

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2022, 11:47:28 am »
Do people who watch this stuff ever graduate to watching real rugby?

Normally the other way round.

People who, after being bored watching rugby yawnion, see league and realise it's a refined version of the sport of rugby, focusing on running, tackling, passing, after doing away with all the archaic technical crap like scrummaging, line-outs, rucks and mauls.

Kick & clap at it's very best:

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1479371539825012738

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2022, 05:46:51 pm »
One of the earliest players I remember watching.

He was immense... and I say that as a Leigh fan.

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2022, 05:55:08 pm »
RIP

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2022, 06:13:12 pm »
Incredibly sad news. He was a sensation when he first broke through. RIP Inga

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2022, 06:18:33 pm »
That backline he was part of with Radlinski, Offiah, Robinson, Paul, Edwards and Botica was the reason I got into Rugby league as a youngster, loved watching them play, very sad news that

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2022, 12:58:12 am »
That backline he was part of with Radlinski, Offiah, Robinson, Paul, Edwards and Botica was the reason I got into Rugby league as a youngster, loved watching them play, very sad news that

They'd still tear it up today. They were dynamite.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2022, 02:36:37 am »
Gutted by this. Really gutted.

He was one of my first heroes.

He was a monster for the all blacks, the original Lomu. I was a kid then, watching him was a highlight of my introduction to rugby.

Then he went on to be a legend in league for Wigan. Bulldozer with brilliant hands.

Then from everything I've heard he was a real gentleman as well.

Really hit by this.

R.I.P. Inga the winger.
20 and 7

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2022, 06:34:59 am »
What a player. RIP Inga.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2022, 11:56:03 pm »
As we do not have a game until October I will switch my full attention to the business end of the Rugby League Season

Semi Final 1 Wigan v Leeds Friday 16th 8pm Sky
Semi Final 2 St.Helens v Salford Saturday 17th 1pm Channel 4 and Sky

Final (Old Trafford) Saturday 24th 6pm Sky

You can watch the Australian equivalent as well if you like watching sport in the morning

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2022, 12:01:51 am »
Aye tasty fixtures mate. Salford are dark horses for me.

World Cup next month too. I'll be updating the thread soon with squad announcements...hopefully.  :D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2022, 12:24:29 pm »
Saints v Salford was indeed tasty and tight.

Despite the fact that Saints finished 1st and Leeds way down I think tomorrows final (6pm) is 50/50, Leeds are on fire and that matters with Rugby League. Saints will have to be properly up for this or they will get a shock.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2022, 12:43:50 pm »
Just bought tickets for Cook Islands vs Tonga at The Riverside for the World Cup.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2022, 01:40:33 pm »
Come on Leeeeeeeds

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2022, 10:16:03 pm »
Come on Leeeeeeeds

Tough shit.

Totally outclassed by one of - If not the - the best sides in SL history.

Saints barely had to get out of second gear.

Saints have had a season hugely disrupted by both injury and suspension, and never got the credit thsy deserve.

Woolf has had 3 seasons at Saints and won Superleage 3 times. We're going to miss him, and I just hope Wellens is up to it. Last time we promoted from within, it was a disaster. The Boot Room we aint.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2022, 11:07:34 pm »

Tough shit.

Saints have had a season hugely disrupted by both injury and suspension, and never got the credit thsy deserve.

Woolf has had 3 seasons at Saints and won Superleage 3 times. We're going to miss him, and I just hope Wellens is up to it. Last time we promoted from within, it was a disaster. The Boot Room we aint.

Yeah, 4 in a row, first time ever in super league era, first time Saints have beaten Leeds in a final too i think, Saints have had a load of injuries & suspensions & still managed to win it all, so as a Saints fan myself it feels great. ;D

#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2022, 12:07:53 am »
Yeah, 4 in a row, first time ever in super league era, first time Saints have beaten Leeds in a final too i think, Saints have had a load of injuries & suspensions & still managed to win it all, so as a Saints fan myself it feels great. ;D

Indeed although I think they were in top gear from the first minute, they knew Leeds were a threat and would last 80 minutes so they were on their game and once they had a 12 point lead they had more control. If that forward pass had not been given it would have been a tasty last few minutes but Saints have a class and intelligence, notably through Roby, that gives them the edge in big games these days. Only seems like 5 minutes since Welsby was a promising young kid, he's a beast now.

yeeeeees
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2022, 12:11:31 am »
Australian NRL Play Off Finals

If you've not been watching the NRL play offs, you can watch 4 minutes highlights here of each games without the scores, the link is set to week 1 but you can go to week 2 or week 3

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/?competition=111&round=26&season=2022&subType=Match+Highlight

Well worth watching if you want to see the Australian (and other countries players) that we will see in the WC or you want to see what faces Saints in the WC match in 2023, or you just want to see Mullets galore
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2022, 07:07:07 am »

Tough shit.

Nice to finally get one over Leeds, they were certainly due one. Can the Saints win five in a row to avenge the five consecutive grand final losses!?

Got to be the best side of the Super League era, that Bulls side was special but this Saints side have just been incredible. Top level consistency for four years, nobody really coming close to them in that time. That was such an emphatic, dominating win last night and against the in form team.

I’d have thought they’d find another coach from down under but at least if Wellens takes it, he’s worked under both Holbrook and Wolfe and will have Roby staying on for another year to support.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2022, 07:49:02 am »
Wanted Leeds to win just for the absolute stupidity of Knowles being allowed to play. Didn’t really care either way though, have no emotional attachment to any of the teams. Just a decent watch every so often.