Author Topic: The Gym  (Read 35165 times)

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Gym
« Reply #320 on: July 22, 2023, 07:58:28 am »
Some great points there.

I can’t think of a single time the gym hasn’t boosted my mental state. Even if it’s just for the rest of a day, all those days add up over time. I’ve found it works for cardio and weights.

It’s an investment of an hour into myself, so I’m able to have the mental capacity and clarity to thrive the rest of the day.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #321 on: July 22, 2023, 08:07:12 am »
Sometimes it can be tough to find the motivation to train, but once you break that mental barrier, the hard work is done.

There is never a time that you regret training (as long as you have fuelled correctly and don't get injured of course)

The benefits, mental and physical, are just fundamental to my wellbeing now, I could not live without them.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: July 22, 2023, 08:39:24 am »
Yeah, the hardest thing about the gym is dragging my ass there. 
Once that is done, its all downhill.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2023, 08:51:16 am »
Those days I’m not feeling it, it’s lighter weights and higher reps all the way. Weight machines are good on days like this. And my favorite tunes on the headphones. The hardest part of these workouts is normally from the front door of the house to the front door of the gym.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #324 on: January 4, 2024, 04:14:50 pm »
Just joined back up with JD gyms in town. Been done up with a lot more machines.

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2024, 12:10:03 pm »
How is everyone coping with their new years resolutions to go to the gym more often/start going?
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: January 23, 2024, 12:55:58 pm »
How is everyone coping with their new years resolutions to go to the gym more often/start going?

I managed 170 sessions in 2023. My goal for 2024 is 250 sessions. Currently more/less on track, banging out 5 sessions a week. I'm constantly tweaking my program because my shoulders can't keep up with the pace and I'm having major issues maintaining full range of motion in my left shoulder especially. Will see a physio about that, but I'm not stoping anyway. Even if I have to do 5 leg days a week.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #327 on: February 6, 2024, 08:32:00 am »
I managed 170 sessions in 2023. My goal for 2024 is 250 sessions. Currently more/less on track, banging out 5 sessions a week. I'm constantly tweaking my program because my shoulders can't keep up with the pace and I'm having major issues maintaining full range of motion in my left shoulder especially. Will see a physio about that, but I'm not stoping anyway. Even if I have to do 5 leg days a week.
I have a similar problem with my shoulder since about April

Go to a physio or massuese

I only managed 50 gym visits in the year but to be fair I played about 30 games of football and I mainly do outside running, sometimes three times a week so probably 150 work outs

Anyway today I am starting with a PT, am 41 years old. Weighed 19 stone after xmas, target to lose 42 pounds.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #328 on: February 8, 2024, 04:26:28 pm »
I'm predominantly into running and playing football, but I wanted to make my upper body a bit stronger so last year I did pull ups and press ups most days. The results were great to be honest. I managed to build a lot more muscle than I thought I would on my arms and shoulders, and my stomach became more toned too. I'm fortunate in that I've always seemed to put muscle on quite easily (I also gain and lose weight quickly).

I slackened off over winter and now I want to get back into doing the pull ups and press ups, and maybe incorporate some more bodyweight exercises. However, the only thing putting me off is the fatigue I suffered last time. I don't have a special kind of diet, in any sense. When I'm just running I feel fine, never overly tired. I remember getting really knackered when I was doing both though. The bodyweight exercises themselves didn't feel too strenuous, but there would just be a lingering sense of tiredness.

One thing I can do is get more sleep, I'll work on that. The other though is making some dietary changes. Is what I describe a common problem, and if so what sort of foods should I be looking to introduce to reduce the fatigue? Sorry if all that is a bit vague.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: February 8, 2024, 04:55:52 pm »
I'm predominantly into running and playing football, but I wanted to make my upper body a bit stronger so last year I did pull ups and press ups most days. The results were great to be honest. I managed to build a lot more muscle than I thought I would on my arms and shoulders, and my stomach became more toned too. I'm fortunate in that I've always seemed to put muscle on quite easily (I also gain and lose weight quickly).

I slackened off over winter and now I want to get back into doing the pull ups and press ups, and maybe incorporate some more bodyweight exercises. However, the only thing putting me off is the fatigue I suffered last time. I don't have a special kind of diet, in any sense. When I'm just running I feel fine, never overly tired. I remember getting really knackered when I was doing both though. The bodyweight exercises themselves didn't feel too strenuous, but there would just be a lingering sense of tiredness.

One thing I can do is get more sleep, I'll work on that. The other though is making some dietary changes. Is what I describe a common problem, and if so what sort of foods should I be looking to introduce to reduce the fatigue? Sorry if all that is a bit vague.

Drink lots of water throughout the day and eat before and after your workouts. Carb-heavy beforehand and protein-heavy afterwards.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: February 9, 2024, 04:29:05 pm »
Started work with PT

has been doing loads of different exercises, improving technique, even stuff I can do at home

He is brilliant. I started eating better last week, our work was delayed as we both got sick

However even since Tuesday am already down 5 pounds, difference already is unreal

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: March 1, 2024, 08:31:10 am »
^

3 meetings with my PT

Another 7 booked

A stone off already

He has really got me tuned in

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: March 1, 2024, 08:57:21 am »
You go man!
What type of work are you doing?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: March 1, 2024, 09:43:53 am »

I was doing ok for a bit in January but had a break up so gone off the wagon and been out on the ale a good bit.

Re-joining a new gym tomorrow and getting back to it because I was doing great around the summer last year (when I was single).  ;D

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: March 1, 2024, 10:05:36 am »
You go man!
What type of work are you doing?

Previously just running and aimlessly doing weights, like a headless chicken.

We met and he arranged a workout. So in my own time I try get a run in and play football once a week, he said to try get in the gym three times a week for his full body work out that he mapped out for me.

Elevated leg press
Hamstring curl
Goblet squats  (all legs)

Diverge Lat pull down
Bench press
Dumbbell lateral raise
(all upper body)

Last one I really like
Rope lat pull down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuVA0gs3EI

and then straight into this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5x5M1x1Gd0

Wont bore you with weight amount

2 sets of 12 each, last set 15

However going forward this week
3 visits a week to gym

1 upper body
1 lower body
1 cardio

obviously monday to friday, I am really watching what I eat

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: March 1, 2024, 10:34:41 am »

Previously just running and aimlessly doing weights, like a headless chicken.

We met and he arranged a workout. So in my own time I try get a run in and play football once a week, he said to try get in the gym three times a week for his full body work out that he mapped out for me.

However going forward this week
3 visits a week to gym

1 upper body
1 lower body
1 cardio

obviously monday to friday, I am really watching what I eat

That all sounds very fun and upper, lower split is pretty good for beginners. You should really savour the early gym days and enjoy the easy wins and progress you'll be making. My one advice is to always, every single week - look at progressing your workout. So either add reps, sets or lift weight even by little bit. But I assume your PT will do that for you for now.

I'm now at early intermediate stage, where I'm basically having to work pretty hard for gains, but embedding that practice of 'every week push it more' has really helped. Also it adds a gamification element to my gym sessions, which makes it fun. Can I top what I felt was my maximum from last week? Strangely, answer is almost always - yes. But just enjoy yourself really. I find it such a great way to forget about anything else going on. There is no room in my head for worrying or scheming when I'm in last three reps of a challenging set.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: March 1, 2024, 10:51:36 am »
Yes he said If I find one exercise easy then dont be afraid to up the weights.

He has been very encouraging and positive, literally within an minute of meeting him you couldnt help but feel positive. Told him I wanted three stone off, he went through everything with my exercise and diet, wrote it down, took 3 seconds and went "yeah I can get you them results".

It really is great when you feel it week by week getting better and better.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: March 22, 2024, 04:40:09 pm »
I suffered a calf strain/tear a couple of weeks ago and the inability to run on the tredmill is driving me mad. I can run now but i feel some tightness in my calf still and all protocols seem to indicate that two weeks is too early.

Are there any other pieces of kit i can use? Someone mentioned the cross trainer but that seemed to work the calves as well. Cant do cycling so is it just the rowing machine?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: March 22, 2024, 10:12:03 pm »
KH all the best cardio machines are going to involve some sort of utilisation of the calves. You’d be better off just not doing anything to inflame them. You could instead do some sort of high intensity routine involving high rep range/body weight exercises. So crunches, push ups, pull ups or anything with a pair of dumbbells. The main thing is moving from one set to another without much rest, keeping the heart rate up.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: March 22, 2024, 10:13:59 pm »
KH all the best cardio machines are going to involve some sort of utilisation of the calves. You’d be better off just not doing anything to inflame them. You could instead do some sort of high intensity routine involving high rep range/body weight exercises. So crunches, push ups, pull ups or anything with a pair of dumbbells. The main thing is moving from one set to another without much rest, keeping the heart rate up.

Yep I think thats the case unfortunately. I was thinking maybe the rowing machine could be ok but may just need to stick to the weights.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: April 1, 2024, 04:01:44 pm »
I suffered a calf strain/tear a couple of weeks ago and the inability to run on the tredmill is driving me mad. I can run now but i feel some tightness in my calf still and all protocols seem to indicate that two weeks is too early.

Are there any other pieces of kit i can use? Someone mentioned the cross trainer but that seemed to work the calves as well. Cant do cycling so is it just the rowing machine?

Air ski machine, if your gym has one!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: April 1, 2024, 05:28:16 pm »
Pretty proud of myself today. Been stuck on a plateau on my favourite leg machine for months. Bloody hack squat is hard as anything. But been feeling pretty good lately, so today I went for it. Aim was to keep adding weight in 5kg increments until I can't do 3 reps. Managed to beat my record in first set with 80kgx8 set, then went all the way up to 105 kg where I buckled on the third rep. But damn it felt good to get there.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: April 3, 2024, 05:31:14 pm »
Air ski machine, if your gym has one!

Thats a cross trainer isnt it?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: April 3, 2024, 06:30:31 pm »

Likely means one of these: https://www.self.com/story/upper-body-low-impact-cardio-skierg-machine

I've never been a fan as they absolutely destroy me and really impact what I want to do elsewhere in the gym. I see plenty of people use them but never for any length of time as you would on a treadmill/rower/elliptical. To do it correctly you will be engaging the entire body.

Pretty proud of myself today. Been stuck on a plateau on my favourite leg machine for months. Bloody hack squat is hard as anything. But been feeling pretty good lately, so today I went for it. Aim was to keep adding weight in 5kg increments until I can't do 3 reps. Managed to beat my record in first set with 80kgx8 set, then went all the way up to 105 kg where I buckled on the third rep. But damn it felt good to get there.

Nothing better than breaking the plateaus, nice one. It's inexplicable sometimes how someday's you are stronger than others. I had about 5 hours sleep, gym Sunday morning was lifting more than I had done in weeks. Whereas on another occasion I'll get a full 9 hours, decent per-meal and struggle to even get under a barbell.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: April 4, 2024, 09:01:13 am »

No! It looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTv9f5dYyTA

Basically all arms and core.

As said above though they tend to be used for high intensity training, so a minute blast or something, rather than a 30-minute jog or whatever.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: April 4, 2024, 09:10:23 am »

Nothing better than breaking the plateaus, nice one. It's inexplicable sometimes how someday's you are stronger than others. I had about 5 hours sleep, gym Sunday morning was lifting more than I had done in weeks. Whereas on another occasion I'll get a full 9 hours, decent per-meal and struggle to even get under a barbell.

Yeah, it's very random. I guess the body has it's own ebbs and flows. I've just learned to take the shots when they come really. If I see an opening to go hard, I'm feeling ok, no niggles, injuries, inflamations - just go for it all the way. Chance might not come again for a while. But it does help imo to structure the week in a way that gives you the best possible shot of being fresh on all muscle groups - at least once a week. I've also recently started rotating within my day - so that for example if my day is triceps/lats, I'm not always starting with triceps. You get that extra bit of ooomph and freshness to really go for it.

But it's all very much a slow, long term game - nothing comes easy.
I do think what mostly helped me is that I did a proper deload week few weeks ago.
Also I changed my plan from 5 days a week, to a more intensive and compressed 4 day a week structure.

Sessions are definitely harder, but the extra rest day is a life saver.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: April 4, 2024, 07:05:40 pm »
No! It looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTv9f5dYyTA

Basically all arms and core.

As said above though they tend to be used for high intensity training, so a minute blast or something, rather than a 30-minute jog or whatever.

Ah ok. No havent got one of those.

Didnt do any cardio for 3 1/2 weeks which was a brutal wait. Couldnt feel any pain or tightness in my calf so tried the tredmill and after 10 minutes the tightness came back again. So this time i am doing more specific bent knee and straight knee raises to strengthen it and cycling.

Anybody know how long these things take to recover from?