Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12333848 times)

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #106840 on: February 19, 2024, 01:30:29 pm »
Good to see Gordon and Danns still in form and playing. No sign of Koumas - part of first team travelling squad maybe? Massive incentive for these guys to out in some quality at training!

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #106841 on: February 21, 2024, 09:21:36 pm »
Someone get Danns his own thread! Kid looks at it

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106842 on: February 21, 2024, 09:42:35 pm »
X2

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #106843 on: February 21, 2024, 09:57:50 pm »
I don't think Danns broke into a sprint at any point tonight.  Touch looked great, though.  Think he'll have to get used to not having the physical advantage he does at youth level, might be good for a loan next season to get used to playing with men.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #106844 on: February 21, 2024, 10:06:13 pm »
I don't think there should be a rush to loan him out yet. Let him settle a bit more at u21 level and asses shwere he could get minutes in January if needed.

Chelsea out the youth cup tonight to Millwall. Shame our game is the night after the Fa cup as were probably going to have weaker side out if a few are needed with the first team. Definitely have a chance of winning it given who's left.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #106845 on: February 21, 2024, 11:16:56 pm »
Love how McConnell and Clark are not just on the periphery of the first team, but also displaying good performances when given the chance.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106846 on: February 21, 2024, 11:32:30 pm »
I don't think Danns broke into a sprint at any point tonight.  Touch looked great, though.  Think he'll have to get used to not having the physical advantage he does at youth level, might be good for a loan next season to get used to playing with men.
The fact that he's had a growth spurt in the last year means he's never relied on his physicality coming up through the age groups. It should stand him in good stead for the future.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #106847 on: February 22, 2024, 03:52:15 am »
x3

Only 10 minutes on the pitch but what a ball that was for Cody that eventually led to Harvey's goal. He looks a proper unit too.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #106848 on: February 22, 2024, 04:07:42 am »
x3

Only 10 minutes on the pitch but what a ball that was for Cody that eventually led to Harvey's goal. He looks a proper unit too.
Watching his games for the U18/U21's, he reminds me of Harry Kane with his playing style ...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106849 on: February 22, 2024, 04:08:18 am »

Danns got onto the pitch in the second half, making his first-team debut as a substitute for Diaz in the 89th minute. It was a special moment for the 18-year-old striker and he was congratulated by Klopp after the full-time whistle.

The TV camera caught Klopp embracing the young forward with a grin on his face before Luton manager Edwards appeared. He tapped Klopp on the shoulder and could be seen saying "I played against his dad!" before the Liverpool manager burst out laughing.

Before becoming a coach, Edwards was a well-travelled player for the likes of Wolves and Blackpool and he also won 15 caps for Wales. It was there that he came across Jason Danns, the father of Jayden, who has now come through the Reds’ academy to make his bow.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106850 on: February 22, 2024, 08:46:08 am »
He didn't look fazed at all but you can tell he's still getting accustomed to his own body after his growth spurt. 

All wibbly, bendy arms and legs like a puppet 😁

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106851 on: February 22, 2024, 09:57:44 am »

Strange, Wikipedia says he's the son of Tranmere assistant manager Neil Danns: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Danns

Anyone know who's right?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #106852 on: February 22, 2024, 10:10:36 am »
Strange, Wikipedia says he's the son of Tranmere assistant manager Neil Danns: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Danns

Anyone know who's right?

Thats Neil Danns, who is Jayden Danns dad.

The article is talking about Lewis Koumas. His dad is Jason Koumas who played for Wales.

And then Bobby Clark is the son of Lee Clark, who played for Newcastle

And if we could stop talking about it, cos its going to make a lot of us feel annoyingly old.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106853 on: February 22, 2024, 10:17:22 am »

The article is talking about Lewis Koumas. His dad is Jason Koumas who played for Wales.

And then Bobby Clark is the son of Lee Clark, who played for Newcastle

And if we could stop talking about it, cos its going to make a lot of us feel annoyingly old.
It only gets worse with the next intake of u18 players (depending on who gets a scholarship I guess)

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106854 on: February 22, 2024, 10:51:07 am »
Great scenes last night after Harvey scored, a glimpse in to the future.. McConnell, Danns, Clark, Quansah and Harvey all celebrating together, think the oldest is Quansah at 21. Klopp and his staff deserve massive amounts of credit for giving these lads a chance, I know I know injuries have sort of forced our hand but the boys certainly are taking their opportunities to shine.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106855 on: February 22, 2024, 10:54:49 am »

Ah. Of course. But you can see from the post I quoted that someone has got themselves all in a twist. Where did that quote come from, BC?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #106856 on: February 22, 2024, 11:40:54 am »
Great scenes last night after Harvey scored, a glimpse in to the future.. McConnell, Danns, Clark, Quansah and Harvey all celebrating together, think the oldest is Quansah at 21. Klopp and his staff deserve massive amounts of credit for giving these lads a chance, I know I know injuries have sort of forced our hand but the boys certainly are taking their opportunities to shine.

Got a hell of a talent pool at 17-22 range. Its the way they're developed as well and the confidence that first team places will open up. That isn't there at City or Arsenal to the same degree, although theyll also have a ton of talent.

The fact we have an injury crisis every year helps. Unfortunately that's also hit Gordon, Doak and Bajcetic with long term injuries.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #106857 on: February 22, 2024, 12:48:18 pm »
x3

Perfect timing and weight on the pass, glorious...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106858 on: February 23, 2024, 03:00:50 pm »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/02/23/jamie-carragher-liverpool-academy-alex-inglethorpe/

At Liverpool's academy a ‘car clause’ has been introduced limiting engine sizes to 1.3 litres, a warning of the dangers of too much, too soon.

[@TeleFootball]

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106859 on: February 23, 2024, 03:18:48 pm »
Alex Inglethorpe is doing an incredible job leading the Academy.  The number of players that have come through the past few years has been impressive. 

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #106860 on: February 23, 2024, 03:40:02 pm »
Reading about Danns apparently he went from 5 foot 7ish to 6 foot over 6 months and he couldn’t play whilst his body adapted to his new frame.

He's like an inflatable robot, that's insane! Wonder how may Weetabix and snickers that took? Not to mention Penguin bars.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #106861 on: February 23, 2024, 07:06:02 pm »
What type of midfielder is Bobby Clark? I haven’t really watched the youth teams in recent years and I’m struggling to get a handle on what his skillset is.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106862 on: February 23, 2024, 07:07:53 pm »
What type of midfielder is Bobby Clark? I haven’t really watched the youth teams in recent years and I’m struggling to get a handle on what his skillset is.

A creative 8 from the (albeit limited) bits I've seen of him.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106863 on: February 23, 2024, 07:20:21 pm »
He's like an inflatable robot, that's insane! Wonder how may Weetabix and snickers that took? Not to mention Penguin bars.

5 foot 2 to 6 foot!

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/meet-academy-get-know-goalscoring-and-superstitious-jayden-danns

He details: "In the space of such a short time, I think I went from 5ft 2in to 6ft. I was out for like eight months with Osgood and that was a tough time for me. You're thinking, 'Why's this happening to me?'

Must have caught asthma..

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106864 on: February 23, 2024, 10:34:04 pm »
5 foot 2 to 6 foot!

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/meet-academy-get-know-goalscoring-and-superstitious-jayden-danns

He details: "In the space of such a short time, I think I went from 5ft 2in to 6ft. I was out for like eight months with Osgood and that was a tough time for me. You're thinking, 'Why's this happening to me?'

Must have caught asthma..
;D

If you're going to be out for eight months then having a growth spurt is one of the better reasons!  I doubt he'd be near our first team if he was 5ft 5ins.  Jay Spearing is one that would have had more of a top flight career if he'd shot up a few inches.

My old man was very good friends with the dad of the current Oxford Utd captain.  I'm a few years older but used to kick about with him from time to time and he was a winger throughout his youth days at Leicester.  He was earmarked to be released by Leicester at 16 but then had a wild growth spurt to 6ft 5ins and was reinvented as a central defender.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106865 on: February 23, 2024, 10:51:54 pm »

He can play as an a 8 or a 10. He is a pressing monster. Very creative and a tidy player.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #106866 on: February 24, 2024, 05:05:50 am »
He can play as an a 8 or a 10. He is a pressing monster. Very creative and a tidy player.

Not seen a whole lot of him, but he seems like a Curtis Jones regen, with similar skill sets.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106867 on: February 24, 2024, 07:53:27 am »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #106868 on: February 24, 2024, 09:26:07 am »
Hopefully Inglethorpe gets kept on and the struture and rules remain

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106869 on: February 24, 2024, 09:35:21 am »
;D

If you're going to be out for eight months then having a growth spurt is one of the better reasons!  I doubt he'd be near our first team if he was 5ft 5ins.  Jay Spearing is one that would have had more of a top flight career if he'd shot up a few inches.

My old man was very good friends with the dad of the current Oxford Utd captain.  I'm a few years older but used to kick about with him from time to time and he was a winger throughout his youth days at Leicester.  He was earmarked to be released by Leicester at 16 but then had a wild growth spurt to 6ft 5ins and was reinvented as a central defender.

I was the opposite, grew to 5 foot 7 quickly, then never grew again.. Can't play top tier rugby as a forward after 14/15 unless you're pushing 6 foot!

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #106870 on: February 26, 2024, 04:16:26 pm »
I'm well impressed with how the academy coaches have taught the young players to use their bodies to overcome older, stronger players. It was on full display yesterday with Bradley, McConnell, and Clark in particular. Caicedo and Enzo are units. They are strong as hell. The young lads didn't have to many issues overcoming that strength with good use of their bodies to gain leverage and space. Fresh legs helps, but Morton does it well, too. Seems like something that is consistently showing up in the youth players now who are near the first team.   

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #106871 on: February 26, 2024, 06:42:10 pm »
I'm well impressed with how the academy coaches have taught the young players to use their bodies to overcome older, stronger players. It was on full display yesterday with Bradley, McConnell, and Clark in particular. Caicedo and Enzo are units. They are strong as hell. The young lads didn't have to many issues overcoming that strength with good use of their bodies to gain leverage and space. Fresh legs helps, but Morton does it well, too. Seems like something that is consistently showing up in the youth players now who are near the first team.   

Inglethorpe places all the youth players on stadium stairs, then releases The Nunez...

Holistic training...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106872 on: February 27, 2024, 02:24:27 pm »
As we're likely to effectively send out our under 21s tomorrow night here's a blast from the past of when we last had to take such drastic action:
Aston Villa 5 - 0 Liverpool

Aston Villa overwhelmed Liverpool's youngest-ever starting line-up to cruise into the semi-finals of the League Cup.

With the Reds' senior players in action at the Club World Cup in Qatar on Wednesday, under-23s boss Neil Critchley led a side containing five debutants and which had an average age of 19 years, six months and three days.
Hopefully we'll fare a bit better against Southampton.

The team from that game, players in bold are still at LFC:

Kelleher
Hoever - van den Berg - Boyes - Gallacher
Christie-Davies - Chirivella - Kane
Elliott - Longstaff - Hill

Subs: Winterbottom, Clayton, Dixon-Bonner, Bearne, Clarkson, Norris, Stewart

Of those that left this what they're up to now.  They all seem to still be playing professional football at some level:
Ki-Jana Hoever (22): joined Wolves for £9m in 2020 after making four cup appearances.  Currently on loan at Stoke.
Morgan Boyes (22): joined Livingstone in 2022 after making two cup appearances.  Currently on loan at Inverness.
Tony Gallacher (24): joined St. Johnstone in 2022 with his only appearance being the Villa game.
Isaac Christie-Davies (26): joined Barnsley in 2020 after making two cup appearances.  Currently at Eupen in Belgium.
Pedro Chirivella (26): joined Nantes in 2020 after 1 league and 10 cup appearances.  Very much a regular for them since.
Herbie Kane (25): joined Barnsley for £1.25m in 2020 after making two cup appearances.  A near ever present in League One for the past three seasons (including one on loan at Oxford)
Luis Longstaff (22): joined Cove Rangers in 2022 with his only appearance being the Villa game.  Moved to Inverness in 2023.
Ben Winterbottom (22): joined Brentford in 2021 without making an appearances.
Tom Clayton (23): joined Swindon in 2022 after making five cup appearances.
Elijah Dixon-Bonner (23): joined QPR in 2022 after making three cup appearances.
Jack Bearne (22): joined Greenock in 2023 with his only appearance being the Villa game.
Leighton Clarkson (22): joined Aberdeen in 2023 after making three cup appearances.
Layton Stewart (21): joined Preston in 2023 after making one cup appearance.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106873 on: February 27, 2024, 11:10:08 pm »

Yes but let’s keep in mind they didn’t play them fresh

Offline itihasas

• Main Stander
« Reply #106874 on: February 27, 2024, 11:28:53 pm »
anyone else we need to keep an eye out for?
Let noble thoughts come to me from all directions - Rig Veda

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106875 on: February 28, 2024, 08:35:39 am »
Noises on Twitter yesterday saying we are trying to tie up a deal for figueroa and see him as the next big thing

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106876 on: February 28, 2024, 08:59:17 am »
Noises on Twitter yesterday saying we are trying to tie up a deal for figueroa and see him as the next big thing
This always feels like it's been pushed by his agents a bit and his reputation is ahead of reality. He's behind Danns, Kone-Doherty, Morrison, Doak and Koumas who are all in the same age group as him.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106877 on: February 28, 2024, 09:38:10 am »
This always feels like it's been pushed by his agents a bit and his reputation is ahead of reality. He's behind Danns, Kone-Doherty, Morrison, Doak and Koumas who are all in the same age group as him.

Could be right…he hasn’t seen much game time for us but was away with international footy for quite a while

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #106878 on: February 28, 2024, 01:24:16 pm »
Figuero does look quite exciting, interesting to see what he can do.

Luke Chambers has been doing well for Wigan, got an assist and clean sheet in a 1-0 win over Bolton last night. I'd expect with him looking the part in League 1 he'll go to the Championship next season if there's a team promising starts for him. If it was true that Alonso/Leverkusen were looking to buy him in the summer then I suppose he must be pretty highly rated. Might even have a Bradley style run into the first team at some stage, you just never know!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106879 on: February 28, 2024, 02:25:03 pm »
Think he has more chance of making it as a cb, ideally in a three. He lacks a bit of pace and intensity, Beck has that over him.