Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5738984 times)

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #51720 on: January 12, 2019, 11:19:09 pm »
Aubameyang is great. Let's not kid ourselves he's just had a few bad games. His goal record speaks for itself.
By the time they sort this mess out he'll be well past his prime.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51721 on: January 13, 2019, 12:58:50 am »
Poor result & performance, It'll be a big ask for us to get 4th now given the way we are playing just now.

In a way I think that's for the best, I don't think we're at a level to make any decent fist of the competition, the main disappointment is qualifying for it would have helped raise funds to assist in the rebuild.

I don't know why people are so outraged mind you, most sensible fans realised that it wasn't going to be plain sailing, that there would be quite a few days like this. The team and squad need a lot of work, it was said at the end of last season & nothing has changed since. I'm intrigued to see how it develops. The new regime needs time, we all should know that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:01:03 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51722 on: January 13, 2019, 01:04:49 am »
You'll qualify for it anyway via EL.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51723 on: January 13, 2019, 01:28:43 am »
i get that ozil goes a bit missing some goes but leaving him out the squad etc seems quite extreme considering the lack of creativity they showed in todays game!

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51724 on: January 13, 2019, 02:14:26 am »
i get that ozil goes a bit missing some goes but leaving him out the squad etc seems quite extreme considering the lack of creativity they showed in todays game!

Leaving him out of the squad makes sense if you don't intend to start him in a particular game, you can always sub him if he is starting, but it seems quite risky to be relying on him to come on and win the game for you.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #51725 on: January 13, 2019, 02:23:18 am »
They vastly overperformed during the first half of the season and seemed to be racking up plenty of results while not playing well at all. It's caught up with them. I think having a decent season with a 5th or 6th placed finish and a good cup run was probably just about what was to be expected of Emery before the season began. Anything else, such as winning the Europa, would be a massive bonus and they'll be ahead of schedule in their development.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #51726 on: January 13, 2019, 02:25:37 am »
I wouldn’t mind Ozil and aubameyang on our bench tbf

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #51727 on: January 13, 2019, 02:30:14 am »
Should sell Ozil asap. I've always thought he was a bit overrated even though he does get a lot of stick. In terms of numbers he might make a few chances but in front of goal himself he's not very efficient. Someone somewhere will pay over the odds for him, and considering he's 30 odd now, it's a good time to get rid and re-invest it into replacements for him and Ramsey.

Aubameyang looked well off the pace today as well, there's some games where he just doesn't affect it whatsoever, as seen as Anfield. That being said I think in front of goal he's one of the best in the world and will score more goals than Lacazette, who to be fair, is usually putting a shift in whenever I see him.

Xhaka shitness doesn't surprise me anymore, baffling as to how bad he's been in the prem. Even more surprising that he's been given so many games.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #51728 on: January 13, 2019, 03:16:00 am »
I wouldn’t mind Ozil and aubameyang on our bench tbf

I thought that about Özil too in the past, but that ship has sailed!

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51729 on: January 13, 2019, 07:44:37 am »
Plenty of rebuilding work to be done. Not in a good place. That early season feel good factor is now gone
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #51730 on: January 13, 2019, 07:48:40 am »
I thought that about Özil too in the past, but that ship has sailed!

Yep Ozil is far too lazy,which Klopp won't put up with.
#Sausages

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51731 on: January 13, 2019, 09:27:53 am »
Ozil cost them over £18m a year in wages.

He's going to cost them another £45m before he leaves.

They won't be selling him, unless they get offer from China where he can increase his wages even more. No one in Europe pays anywhere near that for him.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51732 on: January 13, 2019, 01:08:48 pm »
Ozil cost them over £18m a year in wages.

He's going to cost them another £45m before he leaves.

They won't be selling him, unless they get offer from China where he can increase his wages even more. No one in Europe pays anywhere near that for him.

Think the point is, they should have flogged him rather than cave to the wage demands of what is a luxury player rather than someone who grafts within a system.  I actually can see Emery having a similar problem to him with the one he had with Neymar - the pragmatism of the club to use one of its' most expensive assets vs the manager asserting his style of play on to the squad.

In a way the club needs a FSG 'moment' where they decide to back the manager in 1-2 windows and strengthen multiple areas of the squad.  The way it has worked with Chelsea, City and Liverpool is that money was focused over 1-2 seasons so everyone is staying and the top players are more likely to sign to play with other top players.  By the time Auba and Ozil are 32 it isn't good enough you're just starting to replace your centre-backs.  It's harder and harder to play catch-up, although Ramsey and Ozil are potentially two players who could have catalyzed the squad akin to the Sterling and Coutinho sales - instead it is a squandered opportunity.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51733 on: January 13, 2019, 01:19:59 pm »
Think the point is, they should have flogged him rather than cave to the wage demands of what is a luxury player rather than someone who grafts within a system.  I actually can see Emery having a similar problem to him with the one he had with Neymar - the pragmatism of the club to use one of its' most expensive assets vs the manager asserting his style of play on to the squad.

In a way the club needs a FSG 'moment' where they decide to back the manager in 1-2 windows and strengthen multiple areas of the squad.  The way it has worked with Chelsea, City and Liverpool is that money was focused over 1-2 seasons so everyone is staying and the top players are more likely to sign to play with other top players.  By the time Auba and Ozil are 32 it isn't good enough you're just starting to replace your centre-backs.  It's harder and harder to play catch-up, although Ramsey and Ozil are potentially two players who could have catalyzed the squad akin to the Sterling and Coutinho sales - instead it is a squandered opportunity.

yeah - you likely could have gotten 50-65m for the two of them and reinvested in at least 1 top player or 2 up and coming players (like Torreira).

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #51734 on: January 13, 2019, 02:25:11 pm »
Not happy campers on Arsenal fan tv...
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51735 on: January 13, 2019, 02:28:22 pm »

In hindsight, the squad / contract / transfer mismanagment of the last couple of seasons of the Wenger / Gazidas reign was poor. Im not sure I believe it of Wenger, but with Gazidas it's almost as if he knew he would be leaving soon & wanted it to be as pain free for him personally as possible, rather then what was best in the long term interests in the club.

I think for this team the year Leicester won the league was almost a sliding doors moment. Buying just Cech in the summer & Elneny in winter when people were crying out that a player or 2 of real quality that could make all the difference. This team was top in January & beat Leicester to go a couple of points off them in the middle of February. Since then we've bought poor, sold poor, poor decisions over contracts, we've dropped out the top 4, lost key players, and had a regime change. Now its time to build a new team.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51736 on: January 13, 2019, 03:05:11 pm »
By the time they sort this mess out he'll be well past his prime.

Yep been saying this since the summer.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51737 on: January 13, 2019, 06:24:48 pm »
In hindsight, the squad / contract / transfer mismanagment of the last couple of seasons of the Wenger / Gazidas reign was poor. Im not sure I believe it of Wenger, but with Gazidas it's almost as if he knew he would be leaving soon & wanted it to be as pain free for him personally as possible, rather then what was best in the long term interests in the club.

I think for this team the year Leicester won the league was almost a sliding doors moment. Buying just Cech in the summer & Elneny in winter when people were crying out that a player or 2 of real quality that could make all the difference. This team was top in January & beat Leicester to go a couple of points off them in the middle of February. Since then we've bought poor, sold poor, poor decisions over contracts, we've dropped out the top 4, lost key players, and had a regime change. Now its time to build a new team.

It was a massive moment, even in January when it was clear nobody else seemed any good and Leicester would likely persist as rivals - the board were stuck frozen in time, expecting them to eventually fail - because it's Leicester, right?  An assertive, driven board wold have backed the club and pick up a classy player who could put the nail in the coffin.  It's been absolutely shocking since then for years now, not least in the insane contracts these players are on but the rummaging around in the bargain bin which reminds me of the Liverpool side of 2012/13 which I such took the piss out of.  Sure, Aub and Laca were statements of intent, but if you don't back it up by strengthening the spine then you're in trouble.  The selling though... jesus christ.  Wilshere, Ramsey and Sanchez all gone on a free when they should have been flogged is bad enough - but then flogging wonderkids like Gnabry for a pittance then having overpriced 'average' players hanging around for years really beggars belief.  It's more that the spineless board have taken a look at City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool digging into their pockets and have bottled it - comfortable with a seat at the table, rinsing the fans every game and realising top 6 'isn't that bad really', hoping the manager can swing a couple of cups to keep the peasants from their door.

Sick to death of it to be fair, if Emery does manage to pull something out to win the Europa I'll count it as a huge achievement for what is a club struggling to have -any- first half performances with any cohesion and we're approaching February soon.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51738 on: January 13, 2019, 06:40:17 pm »
Arsenal should put all eggs in the Europa basket now, there is no chance they could finish top 4 IMO,
Believer

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #51739 on: January 13, 2019, 06:45:44 pm »
they didn't steer clear cos he wasn't great though, cos he is a really good player.

They steered clear cos at 56 mill or whatever it was, he cost too much for a player his age and skillset. Plus, he acted like a prize dick later in his time at Dortmund, which likely put a few off.

Yep. Only one club was really interested in giving Aubameyang that sort of money. And he pissed Dortmund off shortly after signing a new deal. Also they had spunked a club record fee on Lacazette months earlier

Additionally, there was no other club willing to give Özil that type of money. Now they are lumbered with him. Last January's moves were more about short-term pulling power after losing Sanchez to show they still had pulling power, rather than laying down a long-term vision

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #51740 on: January 13, 2019, 06:45:57 pm »
It's more that the spineless board have taken a look at City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool digging into their pockets and have bottled it

Arsenal have spent a lot of money over the last few years....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51741 on: January 13, 2019, 07:02:33 pm »
Arsenal have spent a lot of money over the last few years....

Again this keeps on coming up, but they haven't been reaping anything in via sales to compensate which massages the figures somewhat with net spend.  Undoubtedly it's still a tonne of money, but perhaps not considering the need to rejuvenate the squad substantially at the moment.

If you look at the incoming transfer figures from CIES since 2010:

Spurs  £530.98m
Everton £538.19m
Arsenal £604.90m
Liverpool £965.50m
United £993.45m
Chelsea £1.310bn
City £1.325bn

It would seem until the club can reap some value by actually offloading players after they've improved/peaked then there's a substantial gap to make up, especially if you're losing a lot of talent for free which doesn't contribute to investment in the playing squad.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51742 on: January 13, 2019, 07:22:44 pm »
The selling though... jesus christ.  Wilshere, Ramsey and Sanchez all gone on a free when they should have been flogged is bad enough - but then flogging wonderkids like Gnabry for a pittance then having overpriced 'average' players hanging around for years

Joel Campbell (remember him) another perfect example. Had a good World Cup, was never really going to make the breakthrough here, clubs were willing to pay £12M-£15M for him. Instead, we turned it down, he played a few games, then disappeared out on loan for the next couple of years.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51743 on: January 14, 2019, 01:47:08 am »
https://youtu.be/nBuY1_ov8qA
1.52 in, good to see Claude has kept his humour

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #51744 on: January 14, 2019, 09:27:38 am »
They're in a big mess.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #51745 on: January 15, 2019, 11:24:14 am »
Cech to retire at the end of the season. Done everything in the game and given 15 years to Arsenal. Top class keeper

Wonder if Arsenal keep him on as coach.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51746 on: January 15, 2019, 12:17:43 pm »
Cech to retire at the end of the season. Done everything in the game and given 15 years to Arsenal. Top class keeper

Wonder if Arsenal keep him on as coach.

Blimey time flies :D

The right move to call it a day although he could probably still do a half decent job for a bottom half team. At his peak he was second only to Schmeichel in the list of best top flight keepers I've seen in England.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51747 on: January 15, 2019, 03:56:58 pm »
Some rumours of Sven Mislintat leaving Arsenal for Bayern Munich  :o A break down in relationships at ARsenal being cited as the reason.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-news-sven-mislintat-latest-transfer-bayern-munich-epl-a8729001.html

Bayern Munich want to take Arsenal head of recruitment Sven Mislintat back to Germany, and feel they can do a deal before the end of the season.

The 46-year-old is credited with having created one of the most sophisticated talent-spotting operations in world football at Borussia Dortmund, and was part of a grand plan to do similar at Arsenal on being appointed just a year ago, but Bayern believe that he would already be open to leaving.

Sources close to both the German champions and the Arsenal set-up say that the relationship between Mislintat and the new regime - headed by Director of Football Raul Sanllehi - has not gone as smoothly as anticipated.

Mislintat has put forward some strong recommendations for players that have not been followed up.

That comes at a time when Unai Emery is said to have taken a more active role regarding transfer targets than the German had anticipated, especially in a structure that was designed to dilute the influence of any head coach in that regard, after the all-encompassing power of Arsene Wenger.

Bayern hope to act on this as they begin a badly-needed overhaul of their own squad, and see Mislintat as the figure who can lead that.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51748 on: January 15, 2019, 04:16:19 pm »
Would be a good change for the club.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51749 on: January 15, 2019, 04:37:12 pm »

If they aren't going to act on his recommendations as that article indicates, it does seem like it would be a good move for both parties.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51750 on: January 15, 2019, 04:39:02 pm »

more turmoil? Yep, I agree, be a good move  ;D

At least if he goes to Bayern, he can cut out the Dortmund middle man.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51751 on: January 15, 2019, 05:33:51 pm »
more turmoil? Yep, I agree, be a good move  ;D

At least if he goes to Bayern, he can cut out the Dortmund middle man.

Hope they are making a Netflix documentary on us ala Sunderland, would be a good watch!  ;D

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51752 on: January 15, 2019, 05:44:34 pm »
Hope they are making a Netflix documentary on us ala Sunderland, would be a good watch!  ;D

;D

Kicker is reporting that Bayern haven't actually had contact regards bringing him in. No smoke without fire and all that though I suppose until someone at the club say it's BS!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51753 on: January 15, 2019, 05:46:56 pm »
It will probably never happen, but if Coutinho is available then Arsenal should move heaven and earth to try and get him.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51754 on: January 15, 2019, 06:20:59 pm »
It will probably never happen, but if Coutinho is available then Arsenal should move heaven and earth to try and get him.

That Denis Suarez reminds me a little bit like Coutinho, a similar playing style, but without the shooting power. Probably the reason he's £100M cheaper  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #51755 on: January 15, 2019, 07:24:25 pm »
Some rumours of Sven Mislintat leaving Arsenal for Bayern Munich  :o A break down in relationships at ARsenal being cited as the reason.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-news-sven-mislintat-latest-transfer-bayern-munich-epl-a8729001.html

Bayern Munich want to take Arsenal head of recruitment Sven Mislintat back to Germany, and feel they can do a deal before the end of the season.

The 46-year-old is credited with having created one of the most sophisticated talent-spotting operations in world football at Borussia Dortmund, and was part of a grand plan to do similar at Arsenal on being appointed just a year ago, but Bayern believe that he would already be open to leaving.

Sources close to both the German champions and the Arsenal set-up say that the relationship between Mislintat and the new regime - headed by Director of Football Raul Sanllehi - has not gone as smoothly as anticipated.

Mislintat has put forward some strong recommendations for players that have not been followed up.

That comes at a time when Unai Emery is said to have taken a more active role regarding transfer targets than the German had anticipated, especially in a structure that was designed to dilute the influence of any head coach in that regard, after the all-encompassing power of Arsene Wenger.

Bayern hope to act on this as they begin a badly-needed overhaul of their own squad, and see Mislintat as the figure who can lead that.

Raphael Hoenigstein now reporting this..

Seems it’s correct.

An utter disaster for for Arsenal
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #51756 on: January 15, 2019, 07:32:52 pm »
Raphael Hoenigstein now reporting this..

Seems it’s correct.

An utter disaster for for Arsenal

Yep. Telegraph too. Very strange

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51757 on: January 15, 2019, 07:57:36 pm »
Yep. Telegraph too. Very strange

so odd, cos reading the Honigstein article. it suggests that the fall out has happened because this Sanllehi guy wants to work with an extensive network of scouts and contacts. Whereas the way Mislintat works involves a lot of analysis and stats-based work.  And considering the money situation there, that apparently they aren't exactly planning on splashing the cash, you'd think that the Mislintat way is the route they need to take! I thought that was kinda the whole point. 

All very strange.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51758 on: January 15, 2019, 08:05:54 pm »
so odd, cos reading the Honigstein article. it suggests that the fall out has happened because this Sanllehi guy wants to work with an extensive network of scouts and contacts. Whereas the way Mislintat works involves a lot of analysis and stats-based work.  And considering the money situation there, that apparently they aren't exactly planning on splashing the cash, you'd think that the Mislintat way is the route they need to take! I thought that was kinda the whole point. 

All very strange.
They also bought their own stats company a couole years back, so to then not put people in place to make the most of that is poor planning.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:07:31 pm by Chris~ »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #51759 on: January 16, 2019, 01:08:24 am »
Mislintat is definitely getting his side of the story out first