Author Topic: Amazon's 'Wheel of Time' (series based on Jordan's novels)  (Read 5006 times)

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Re: Amazon's 'Wheel of Time' (series based on Jordan's novels)
« Reply #40 on: December 4, 2021, 08:46:02 pm »
Not sure what the plan was with this latest episode, there wasn't really enough going on to further draw in those who haven't read the books and this latest round of changes are not going to endear them to fans of the books either, which is a shame as after a somewhat iffy first episode it has been steadily improving for the last three before this one.

Latest episode is garbage. Going to give it one more chance with the next episode

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: December 5, 2021, 01:19:18 am »
I don’t know - I’m liking it a lot so far.

I like using the false dragon to help explain parts of the story. Agreed that the last episode - at least the back end with the warders was slow.

They are trying to engage a wider audience than just the books - so someone like my wife is enjoying it so far because she has no idea about what is or isn’t supposed to happen.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2021, 12:11:50 am »
If this becomes big it’ll get bitched about something chronic because it doesn’t follow the books word for word. The Witcher is already getting pelters

It may seem hard to swallow, but tv adaptations are made for tv audiences. People who already know the story are also in mind but they do come 2nd.

I was going to start on the books until I found out the author died before completion. Not something I’m going to invest time in now . I’d rather watch the show tell it’s story
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 12:13:53 am by rushyman its only a few sleeps to Xmas »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2021, 03:06:25 am »
If this becomes big it’ll get bitched about something chronic because it doesn’t follow the books word for word. The Witcher is already getting pelters

It may seem hard to swallow, but tv adaptations are made for tv audiences. People who already know the story are also in mind but they do come 2nd.

I was going to start on the books until I found out the author died before completion. Not something I’m going to invest time in now . I’d rather watch the show tell it’s story

Brandon Sanderson finished the series. He’s possible the most famous fantasy writer around right now.

I really really enjoyed it (and I’ve read all the books and was bored by the middle 3 or so).

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2021, 11:53:02 am »
Brandon Sanderson finished the series. He’s possible the most famous fantasy writer around right now.

I really really enjoyed it (and I’ve read all the books and was bored by the middle 3 or so).

The worst thing for me is watching these things per year

My head is not made for it. I can’t watch things like lock & key, shadow and bone, the Witcher and just forget it fir a whole year. Then watch 8/10 episodes and wait another year. To me it’s like turning a film off after 45 mins.

Wheel of time I’m just going to have to wait a decade. It’s madness

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2022, 10:56:23 pm »
Watched all 8 since Friday

Hasn’t done it for me. Horribly explained, your just supposed to know what and who certain things are

The entire thing feels like you’ve started watching in season 4. References are so scratchy. They’re clearly missing huge clumps of story from the books and trying to just reference it without any sort of rhyme or reason. I’m not even sure I understand fully what the hell is going on now

The other thing is I’m afraid the acting absolutely stinks to high heaven. The younger actors make me feel like I’m watching Eastenders

Jurgen Klopp

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2022, 10:46:23 pm »
Telling that this thread for the “new GoT” was down at page 5.

Have watched the first 6 episodes and while it’s not as offensively bad as something like Picard, it’s criminally boring. I also couldn’t name or care about a single one of the characters. I’ll stick with it for the last 2 of course, and the end of 6 might suggest it’s going to get more interesting. Some of the cinematography is very good at least, and the special effects for the trollocs were decent. Also I’m not as outright baffled as I was watching Witcher season 2. I just wish the cast of Witcher could have been transplanted into this.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2022, 12:08:27 pm »
Some footage has been released of the 2nd series and they already commissioned a 3rd series.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2022, 04:02:56 pm »
Some footage has been released of the 2nd series and they already commissioned a 3rd series.
link please?

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2022, 04:12:25 pm »

Holy shit, I thought for sure they would have cancelled this abomination.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2022, 04:25:02 pm »
How the bloody hell does this shite get renewed and Night Sky get's cancelled after 1 season?

Amazon  :butt

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2022, 04:36:30 pm »
I liked this show, thought it finished quite strongly, looks like it got good viewing figures if they've already commissioned a season 3.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2022, 05:22:34 pm »
I liked this show, thought it finished quite strongly, looks like it got good viewing figures if they've already commissioned a season 3.

Agreed - it was decent overall - and since the books are very good - it's great to see how they are going to bring it to life.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2022, 05:24:42 pm »
I gave this a try but just couldn't stay with it for some reason, nice for those who wanted to see more of it though.  :)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2022, 05:55:04 pm »
link please?

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/S9OKqDS_MC4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/S9OKqDS_MC4</a>
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 06:00:42 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2022, 06:57:58 pm »
Didn't mind season one. Didn't love it.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2022, 06:59:16 pm »
Honestly loved the books, got bored of this after episode 2.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2023, 09:56:43 am »
I only saw last night that they snuck Season 2 out. Surprised they have persisted with it. Still can't get over how badly some characters have been cast. It starts with another awkward jump forward with poor to little explanation. At least the production levels have stayed reasonably high, probably why they are carrying on - they've sunk so much money into it already.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2023, 05:56:40 pm »
I read the books but I quite enjoyed Season 1 - at least its not put me off S2 which Im looking forward to

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2023, 12:31:30 am »
I stuck with the first season out of nothing more than "I started so I'll finish" and wasnt arsed about it being renewed or not.

Seen it pop up on my Firestick and 4 episodes in, its so much better than the first season.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 6, 2023, 09:38:26 pm »
Got to hold my hands up, second series is MUCH better

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #61 on: October 7, 2023, 01:23:47 am »
Agreed. I found myself becoming a lot more engaged with this season than the first.

It might help that 3-4 episodes in I looked up a map of the world and a bit of a grounding in who the characters/factions are.

But that was a damn good final episode, even if some parts of S2 were still a bit dull
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 7, 2023, 01:19:34 pm »
I really enjoyed season 2 more than season 1, even though I preferred the 1st book to the 2nd. What I really loved in the last episode is how they introduced certain characters. They looked great. And I really prefer the new Mat over season 1 Mat. In the books he is a scallywag, a cheeky chap with a few vices, but deep down a good man. Season 2 Mat fits much better than season 1 Mat with the books. Season 1 Mat was too morose and moody, not enough cheeky chappy.

But loved the ending of this season. Things are really gonna start kicking off now. Car'a'carn, Stone of Tear, Callondor, Aiel Waste should all be coming in season 3.

By the way what Forsaken do you think are going to be used in the show. They have cut it down from 13 to 8 from what I can tell. We have Ishamael, Lanfear, Moghedian, Graendel was mentioned. I think Demandred is too important to keep out. Plus Sammael and Semhirage. Who would be the last male? I think they will merge 2 together but which ones I don't know.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 8, 2023, 10:49:15 am »

It might help that 3-4 episodes in I looked up a map of the world and a bit of a grounding in who the characters/factions are.

I need something like this. I am increasingly enjoying the show but feel like I haven't clue whats going on or what the significance of some of the stuff they are talking about is.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 9, 2023, 10:14:25 am »

By the way what Forsaken do you think are going to be used in the show. They have cut it down from 13 to 8 from what I can tell. We have Ishamael, Lanfear, Moghedian, Graendel was mentioned. I think Demandred is too important to keep out. Plus Sammael and Semhirage. Who would be the last male? I think they will merge 2 together but which ones I don't know.

Mesaana is a pretty important plot driver later on.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 9, 2023, 10:35:21 am »

They are all important, maybe not initially but..

Spoiler
Their re-incarnations are important such as Aginor (Osan'gar), Balthamel (Aran'gar) later on and I don't see how you merge them, then Asmodean is a huge part of Rand learning his powers, Rahvin introduces Caemlyn. Maybe Be'lal as he dies pretty early in the stories and doesn't come back
[close]

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #66 on: October 9, 2023, 10:37:27 am »
I need something like this. I am increasingly enjoying the show but feel like I haven't clue whats going on or what the significance of some of the stuff they are talking about is.

Be aware that because there are so many books and the characters are a long way from where the TV show is there are some inherent spoilers in even a basic list of the main & principle supporting characters.

And I don't think there's an official map but enough info that fan-made ones can point you reasonably towards the distances and directions that the characters have been travelling to get a sense of things.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 8, 2023, 10:43:28 am »
Season 2 is much improved than Season 1, really enjoyed it.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2023, 08:18:29 pm »
agreed - just started Season 2.

I forgot how convoluted the books were in middle.