Author Topic: Holidays 2024 - What's your plans?  (Read 9552 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holidays 2024 - What's your plans?
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2024, 10:42:06 am »
Hugely jealous. I’m setting aside money for a ‘big’ trip next year, but we’re wrestling between Japan and Vietnam alongside Cambodia.

For me, 4 nights in Berlin coming up which has become a logistical nightmare due to the footy fixtures. I was stupid really, Liverpool v City was never going to be a Saturday 15:00, but I didn’t think it would be moved to the slot it has, completely forgetting the Europa League. As such, because we had separate bookings, I’ve cancelled my flight, my partner will still head to Berlin on our Sunday morning flight, while I race from Anfield to Manchester airport in order to follow her out there. Should be fine, we’ve done similar stuff before.

Then Costa Brava in July for a week for a friend’s wedding. Hopefully can fit another City break or quick winter sun in before the end of the year.
Cambodia is brilliant. You'll enjoy it for sure. Wasn't in my mind until Mrs mentioned it.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2024, 03:03:40 pm »
Cambodia is brilliant. You'll enjoy it for sure. Wasn't in my mind until Mrs mentioned it.
I’ve always wanted to see Angkor Wat and I think we could really pack out two weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia, with it also likely being cheaper than Japan. Long term I intend to do both, maybe the best idea is Cambodia now in case it becomes increasingly westernised or we end up having to delay, as I feel Cambodia would be tougher than Japan when we’re older.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2024, 03:42:48 pm »
I’ve always wanted to see Angkor Wat and I think we could really pack out two weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia, with it also likely being cheaper than Japan. Long term I intend to do both, maybe the best idea is Cambodia now in case it becomes increasingly westernised or we end up having to delay, as I feel Cambodia would be tougher than Japan when we’re older.
Angkor Wat is stunning. In general I'm glad we did it recently when we did rather than delaying it. Definitely want to go Japan as well. Feel like many people say that. How much there is to do for children there tho I'm not sure.

Offline blink

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2024, 07:36:10 am »
Off to Japan a month today.

I have lived here for a long time; happy to help with any questions you may have.

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2024, 11:41:13 am »
Anyone been to Marseille? 

It seems to have a bit of a reputation but at the same time lots say its a beautiful place and very safe, particularly in the touristy areas where you'd spend most of your time anyway.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2024, 12:34:02 pm »

:thumbup

Big thanks for the recommendations, Rob

Dunno if you are into watching tribute acts and stuff, but if you are, download ABC Tenerife - its an app where you can see who is on where every night. EG, if you want to see Comedy Elvis, you just look on his page and its shows where he is, or you can look at a specific place and see who is on each night.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2024, 01:11:10 pm »
Anyone been to Marseille? 

It seems to have a bit of a reputation but at the same time lots say its a beautiful place and very safe, particularly in the touristy areas where you'd spend most of your time anyway.
Went to see the Reds play there once. It was very nice down by the Old Port. Found it very friendly. We even gatecrashed the Marseille supporters club bar and were welcomed with open arms. Like any big city there’s areas to be a bit careful in, especially at night. If I went again I’d be tempted to combine it with a trip to some of the surrounding areas as well. I’m saying that like I know where to go, but I don’t!

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2024, 02:26:55 pm »
Went to see the Reds play there once. It was very nice down by the Old Port. Found it very friendly. We even gatecrashed the Marseille supporters club bar and were welcomed with open arms. Like any big city there’s areas to be a bit careful in, especially at night. If I went again I’d be tempted to combine it with a trip to some of the surrounding areas as well. I’m saying that like I know where to go, but I don’t!

Thanks for that!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2024, 03:12:15 pm »
I need help and advice.
Next year, 2025, Debs and I have been married for 30 years so we wanted to book somewhere in the sun and go all-inclusive. The idea was it was just going to be the two of us but now the kids and their partners and the 3 year old grandson may well be joining us.
I have looked on the LoveHolidays website (does anyone have any recommendations for using them or for not using them as the case may be?) and I found a couple of nice AI holidays in Alanya in Turkey and the Canaries.
I have put in the filters that I would like a 5* hotel with great TripAdvisor reviews and must be good for kids with water slides and the like and be good for disabled people.
There are 2 main places that have come up inside everyone's budget.
Have never been to Turkey but 2005 and all that, so that is one destination and the other is Lanzarote.

Ane recommendations and/or horror stories please?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2024, 04:05:47 pm »
How old are the kids Jase? Where in Lanzarote was it? I’ve not been there for about ten years or so but my wife’s brother has been there a few times with his young family and they love it. Playa Blanca I think.

And hello! Hope all is well! Have you not been posting so much of late?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2024, 04:51:33 pm »
I need help and advice.
Next year, 2025, Debs and I have been married for 30 years so we wanted to book somewhere in the sun and go all-inclusive. The idea was it was just going to be the two of us but now the kids and their partners and the 3 year old grandson may well be joining us.
I have looked on the LoveHolidays website (does anyone have any recommendations for using them or for not using them as the case may be?) and I found a couple of nice AI holidays in Alanya in Turkey and the Canaries.
I have put in the filters that I would like a 5* hotel with great TripAdvisor reviews and must be good for kids with water slides and the like and be good for disabled people.
There are 2 main places that have come up inside everyone's budget.
Have never been to Turkey but 2005 and all that, so that is one destination and the other is Lanzarote.

Ane recommendations and/or horror stories please?

We had a spate of going to Turkey between about 2010 and 2015 - and all the hotels we stayed in were at Lara Beach, near Antalya

Lara Beach is a purpose-built resort that's still growing (AFAIK). The first phase was building a strip of hotels fronting onto the beach, and that was finished in the 00's. Subsequent phases have built landwards from there. I'll just talk about the beach-fronting ones cos that's where we stayed.

They range a bit in size, with some 5* and some 4*. The * rating isn't really that accurate in terms of opulence by UK/USA standards (knock perhaps half a * off)

Most have the own small pier, and most of those have a bar on it that's included in the AI, plus water sports (some are included; others like jetski you need to pay for) and the beach is Blue Flag and sand (quite coarse, though). All have great pools & a variety of water slides and fairground rides (usually only open in the evening). All seem great with kids activities. Entertainment on a night is pretty generic and often Eastern European dancing/acting along to a pre-recorded show.

Food is the potential spanner in the works. Standard is the buffet-format. I always found loads I liked (loved the carvery meats) - but Mrs R is more fussy and would probably only give a 6/10. It's a Muslim country, so pig-derived products are out (some did one day a week as 'English breakfast' with proper bacon) All tend to have multiple small outlets through the day serving different things (kebab, sandwiches, pide, jacket spuds, ice cream, etc) and free - but different ones sometimes open at different times.

Antalya is about 30 mins by taxi and has a lot of historical cultural things to sightsee (like Hadrian's Gate). Very convenient for the airport.

When we went, we stayed in either the Royal Wings or Delphin Diva, both of which were good.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2024, 05:31:32 pm »
How old are the kids Jase? Where in Lanzarote was it? I’ve not been there for about ten years or so but my wife’s brother has been there a few times with his young family and they love it. Playa Blanca I think.

And hello! Hope all is well! Have you not been posting so much of late?

Hiya Nick. All is as well as can be expected. Still buzzing after Sunday.

I took a fair old break - seems nobody missed me ;)

When I say kids, they are both grown adults now. James is 27 this year and Jess just turned 29. My grandson will be 3 when we go.

Yes mate, Playa Blanca.
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2024, 05:34:15 pm »

We had a spate of going to Turkey between about 2010 and 2015 - and all the hotels we stayed in were at Lara Beach, near Antalya

Lara Beach is a purpose-built resort that's still growing (AFAIK). The first phase was building a strip of hotels fronting onto the beach, and that was finished in the 00's. Subsequent phases have built landwards from there. I'll just talk about the beach-fronting ones cos that's where we stayed.

They range a bit in size, with some 5* and some 4*. The * rating isn't really that accurate in terms of opulence by UK/USA standards (knock perhaps half a * off)

Most have the own small pier, and most of those have a bar on it that's included in the AI, plus water sports (some are included; others like jetski you need to pay for) and the beach is Blue Flag and sand (quite coarse, though). All have great pools & a variety of water slides and fairground rides (usually only open in the evening). All seem great with kids activities. Entertainment on a night is pretty generic and often Eastern European dancing/acting along to a pre-recorded show.

Food is the potential spanner in the works. Standard is the buffet-format. I always found loads I liked (loved the carvery meats) - but Mrs R is more fussy and would probably only give a 6/10. It's a Muslim country, so pig-derived products are out (some did one day a week as 'English breakfast' with proper bacon) All tend to have multiple small outlets through the day serving different things (kebab, sandwiches, pide, jacket spuds, ice cream, etc) and free - but different ones sometimes open at different times.

Antalya is about 30 mins by taxi and has a lot of historical cultural things to sightsee (like Hadrian's Gate). Very convenient for the airport.

When we went, we stayed in either the Royal Wings or Delphin Diva, both of which were good.

I read somewhere that Lara Beach was described as Las Vegas like. Not too fussed on an overly busy resort which is why we picked Alanya hopefully.

I really like the look of the Delphin Deluxe Hotel in Alanya - https://delphinhotel.com/360sanaltur/deluxe/en/

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2024, 06:21:34 pm »
Hi Jason. We’ve been to Alanya (not far from Antalya) in August and I remember it being very hot and humid (not surprising really!) So that’s something to bear in mind if you suffer in the heat, depending on when you’re thinking of going (or also if you love the heat of course, go!)

We’ve also been to Lanzarote, Playa Blanca, in April and it was very nice. More my kind of temp, low 20s. Decent resort, not amazing for beaches but there’s nice ones nearby. Liked the evening strolls along the very long waterfront with views of Fuertaventura. And the volcano trip was fun if you like that sort of thing. Out of the two I’d probably go back to Lanzarote, BUT there’s loads of other places in Turkey (my sister loves it) so definitely one to consider. You perhaps get more bang for your buck there as well.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2024, 07:41:44 pm »
We went to Side Star resort in Side Oct 2023, AI - food was good, had 3 a la carte meals which were excellent, but I'd not go back. I like to go for walks and there was nothing outside the hotel, although there was a bar over the road and the owners were brilliant, so we watched footy in there most nights, hotel itself was lovely but the biggest killer for me was the sunbed situation, nearly every bed had a towel on it by 7:30am, fucking English are the worst in the world for this. We were lucky that we made friends with a couple from Altrincham and he woke at 6am every morning, proper morning person, so he used to get us beds otherwise we'd have been getting 5 hrs kip at most. The Bazaar was good though, missus got tons of jarg Nike and Adidas stuff for the kids. Missus would go back, but would be either Marmaris or Fethiye

Done Puerta Del Carmen on Lanzarote twice and will go back - the prom is lovely for walks. We don't go AI there as there are so many places to eat and drink
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2024, 01:50:59 pm »
I read somewhere that Lara Beach was described as Las Vegas like. Not too fussed on an overly busy resort which is why we picked Alanya hopefully.

I really like the look of the Delphin Deluxe Hotel in Alanya - https://delphinhotel.com/360sanaltur/deluxe/en/

I guess it depends on what you do. We only left the hotel once, to go visit a couple of shops because our girls (who were young back then!) wanted the belly-dancer outfits. There's a long stretch of road runs parallel to the beach that's lined with hotels and malls, so I get the Vegas comparison. If you want to be bobbing out of the hotel of a night to do a walk along touristy bars and the like, it's not really the place (but then, tramping through touristy bars isn't really my idea of a great holiday time anyway)

Like I said, though, Antalya's a totally different proposition.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2024, 01:58:44 pm »
We went to Side Star resort in Side Oct 2023, AI - food was good, had 3 a la carte meals which were excellent, but I'd not go back. I like to go for walks and there was nothing outside the hotel, although there was a bar over the road and the owners were brilliant, so we watched footy in there most nights, hotel itself was lovely but the biggest killer for me was the sunbed situation, nearly every bed had a towel on it by 7:30am, fucking English are the worst in the world for this. We were lucky that we made friends with a couple from Altrincham and he woke at 6am every morning, proper morning person, so he used to get us beds otherwise we'd have been getting 5 hrs kip at most.

The two hotels we were at would go round at 8.30am'ish every morning and remove any towel, etc that was left unattended. Was brilliant.

I got into the habit of getting up before 8am and bobbing down on my own with towels and stuff to reserve 4 beds. I'd grab a beer and a coke from the [complimentary] minibar fridge and a book and sit there slowly waking up properly. Once the pool guys had done their rounds, I'd toddle off down to the beach, wander onto the pier, grab another beer just as the pier-bar was opening, chill for half an hour, then head back to wake the family up and we'd head down for brekkie.

I absolutely loved that routine.

(I only generally get 6-7 hours sleep a night anyway)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2024, 03:01:11 pm »

The two hotels we were at would go round at 8.30am'ish every morning and remove any towel, etc that was left unattended. Was brilliant.

I got into the habit of getting up before 8am and bobbing down on my own with towels and stuff to reserve 4 beds. I'd grab a beer and a coke from the [complimentary] minibar fridge and a book and sit there slowly waking up properly. Once the pool guys had done their rounds, I'd toddle off down to the beach, wander onto the pier, grab another beer just as the pier-bar was opening, chill for half an hour, then head back to wake the family up and we'd head down for brekkie.

I absolutely loved that routine.

(I only generally get 6-7 hours sleep a night anyway)

Sadly there was none of that, wish they would just lash the towels in the pool :no

When we went to Dubai in 2019, I used to go down the pool while the missus and kids were getting up, with my kindle, grab 4 loungers, the pool staff used to come out and put the towels on for you and I'sd sit and chat with him and the fella who cleaned the pool. The guy who did the towels was from Northern India and the pool guy was from Tibet and we had some great chats, they'd tell me about where the came from, family life etc- I'd then read until one of the kids came to get me and we go for breakfast
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2024, 03:05:43 pm »
Heading back to the Canaries this Easter. Went to Tenerife a couple of years back, still had to wear masks in places, but had such a great time with the kids that we thought we would try Fuerteventura this time.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2024, 03:26:05 pm »
Heading back to the Canaries this Easter. Went to Tenerife a couple of years back, still had to wear masks in places, but had such a great time with the kids that we thought we would try Fuerteventura this time.

No masks at all required in the Canaries now, just had a week in Tenerife and its fine. They're struggling with a drought though on Tenerife, so do wonder if they'll try and discourage tourists in the summer.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2024, 03:39:02 pm »
Fellow sunbed procurer here. Normally go down to grab 3 between the 4 of us (I’m not too greedy) and have a read before the rest of the lazy fuckers in my family get up just in time to get to breakfast before it closes!

Where in Fuerteventura are you going Trumps? We are thinking about going there in October. Been before to Corralejo.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2024, 03:48:07 pm »
Heading to Corralejo. We couldn't decide on whether to base ourselves in the north or south of the island for awhile but Corralejo just had the better options for keeping the kids entertained.

We tend to try and get pool view/side rooms so we can spy how many loungers are free and if we need to make a move to grab some  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2024, 04:11:02 pm »
Heading to Corralejo. We couldn't decide on whether to base ourselves in the north or south of the island for awhile but Corralejo just had the better options for keeping the kids entertained.

We tend to try and get pool view/side rooms so we can spy how many loungers are free and if we need to make a move to grab some  ;D

Where abouts? Have you been before? There’s a fairly decent water park there we spent a long afternoon at. There’s also some beaches which are nice, but very rocky of trying to get into the sea. Nice little old town and marina with plenty of restaurants if you’re looking to eat out of the hotel. You might know all this already. :D

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2024, 04:24:03 pm »
Hi Jason. We’ve been to Alanya (not far from Antalya) in August and I remember it being very hot and humid (not surprising really!) So that’s something to bear in mind if you suffer in the heat, depending on when you’re thinking of going (or also if you love the heat of course, go!)

We’ve also been to Lanzarote, Playa Blanca, in April and it was very nice. More my kind of temp, low 20s. Decent resort, not amazing for beaches but there’s nice ones nearby. Liked the evening strolls along the very long waterfront with views of Fuertaventura. And the volcano trip was fun if you like that sort of thing. Out of the two I’d probably go back to Lanzarote, BUT there’s loads of other places in Turkey (my sister loves it) so definitely one to consider. You perhaps get more bang for your buck there as well.

Thank you for replying.

I have been messing around with Google's AI and asking it for recommendations and while it will not commit to one or the other, it is producing some good answers to my questions.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2024, 04:26:01 pm »

I guess it depends on what you do. We only left the hotel once, to go visit a couple of shops because our girls (who were young back then!) wanted the belly-dancer outfits. There's a long stretch of road runs parallel to the beach that's lined with hotels and malls, so I get the Vegas comparison. If you want to be bobbing out of the hotel of a night to do a walk along touristy bars and the like, it's not really the place (but then, tramping through touristy bars isn't really my idea of a great holiday time anyway)

Like I said, though, Antalya's a totally different proposition.

The missus and the daughter will probably want to go shopping at some point and the shopping is said to be very good at Alanya and close to the hotel I like.

We will more than likely stay in the resort for much of the holiday. I do like taking in some local history but the rest of the party is not so keen.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2024, 05:20:07 pm »
Where abouts? Have you been before? There’s a fairly decent water park there we spent a long afternoon at. There’s also some beaches which are nice, but very rocky of trying to get into the sea. Nice little old town and marina with plenty of restaurants if you’re looking to eat out of the hotel. You might know all this already. :D

We haven't been before. We did make our call based on the waterpark, restaurants and beaches. The waterpark isn't going to match Siam Park but looks good enough. There is also the big dunes, which look cool

Online Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2024, 07:00:04 pm »
Off to Marrakesh in a few weeks, anyone been on one of the day trips into the Atlas Mountains? Any recommendations?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 29, 2024, 08:26:46 am »
Thank you for replying.

I have been messing around with Google's AI and asking it for recommendations and while it will not commit to one or the other, it is producing some good answers to my questions.

My missus always checks Tripadvisor (Googles AI is probably doing exactly the same) and makes her decisions based on reviews on there - she can usually weed out the crying arses who complain for the sake of it. It helped us swerve two horrendous hotels in Orlando.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 29, 2024, 09:37:55 am »
Tripadvisor - she can usually weed out the crying arses who complain for the sake of it.

Some of the 1 star reviews on trip advisor are mental - the things people complain about. I remember one about a hotel in Greece we stayed in and the review was 1 star because the AC wasn’t working which is fair enough but the hotel reply on trip advisor was they came and asked your husband if you wanted to change rooms but he said no you were fine  ;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2024, 09:41:51 am »
saw a review about a hotel the other day, the guy was complaining about cockroaches in his room and calling the place every name under the sun.

the hotel replied pointing out that (a) he never told any of the staff about any insects at all during his stay and (b) they asked him to leave because it's a non-smoking place and he refused to stop smoking in his room, the restaurant and the pool.

not a single other review ever posted for the place backed up his "cockroaches" story.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:44:56 am by SamLad »

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2024, 05:03:45 pm »
Off to Japan a month today.

So jealous

We had booked 3 weeks in Hong Kong and Japan for our honeymoon, were due to fly out on the 13th March 2020 and just couldn't because of COVID. Will do it eventually but will be taking our daughter along next time so will wait until she's a bit older

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #151 on: March 1, 2024, 03:32:21 pm »
I have never been to Japan and it is one that I would love to do sometime soon as well!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: March 1, 2024, 04:01:35 pm »
On my bucket list, too (along with NZ)

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #153 on: March 1, 2024, 04:15:24 pm »
Just booked two weeks in Thailand from mid April, cant wait its been 10 years since I last went somehow...
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 1, 2024, 04:49:55 pm »
saw a review about a hotel the other day, the guy was complaining about cockroaches in his room and calling the place every name under the sun.

the hotel replied pointing out that (a) he never told any of the staff about any insects at all during his stay and (b) they asked him to leave because it's a non-smoking place and he refused to stop smoking in his room, the restaurant and the pool.

not a single other review ever posted for the place backed up his "cockroaches" story.
Can't trust Tripadvisor reviews, most of them are snobby families who want to be able to eat their dinner off the floor. And another thing I've noticed is one of them will leave a 1-star review, then the wife, then the son, and so on.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #155 on: March 1, 2024, 06:42:09 pm »
Just booked two weeks in Thailand from mid April, cant wait its been 10 years since I last went somehow...

Whereabouts?

My first time last June and absolutely loved it.

Online slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 1, 2024, 09:14:51 pm »

Songkran is mid april and is celebrated all over the country. Some places its a bit more mental than others. Its basically a massive party and water fight and a lot of people love it. Its not my scene and i am going mid march to the start of April because i wanted to avoid Songkran.

Another thing to take into consideration is there have been indications that March and April are going to be scorchers. Thailand is like this anyway but they reckon temperatures are going to reach over 40C and with humidity high you need to be sensible. Cover your head, keep extra hydrated etc.

The air pollution is also some of the worst in the world during this time due to burning season which is December to the end of April especially in the North but also Bangkok is bad as well. I know of numerous people who have been really ill in December and January over there with bad coughs and chest infections. The doctors and Pharmacies all said it was due to the air pollution.

The good thing is you can buy Anti-Biotics over the counter if you get sick over there. Also the AC in hotels can cause you to get sick because you have to leave them on during the night due to the heat and it really isnt good for your throat and chest. I would often wake up during the night and would make sure i was drinking plenty of cold fluids to counteract the dryness of my throat from the AC.

You say you have been before so you probably know most of this anyway. Have a great time.

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 5, 2024, 08:17:54 pm »
I've booked apartments for all the family (wife, kids, in-laws) in Lanzarote in August through booking.com. Still need to book flights and just trying to work out whether to get it boxed off now or whether to leave it nearer the time. Do more flights get released as the year goes by or is what's on sale now just about my lot? The flight times I've seen are ok but not ideal and we've little kids and OAPs so I'm not wanting to go any further afield than Manchester or Liverpool airports.

Any advice appreciated.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 5, 2024, 08:34:39 pm »
I've booked apartments for all the family (wife, kids, in-laws) in Lanzarote in August through booking.com. Still need to book flights and just trying to work out whether to get it boxed off now or whether to leave it nearer the time. Do more flights get released as the year goes by or is what's on sale now just about my lot? The flight times I've seen are ok but not ideal and we've little kids and OAPs so I'm not wanting to go any further afield than Manchester or Liverpool airports.

Any advice appreciated.

Personally, with it being school holidays, I wouldn't be leaving it too late, I wouldn't be prepared to risk not getting seats for everyone.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 5, 2024, 08:49:11 pm »
Personally, with it being school holidays, I wouldn't be leaving it too late, I wouldn't be prepared to risk not getting seats for everyone.

Cheers pal
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."