Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2042802 times)

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #14880 on: November 12, 2022, 08:52:18 pm »
There's no way Bobby is still the press monster he used to be. A new contract would be idiocy. Lets enjoy him this season though!

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14881 on: November 12, 2022, 08:56:15 pm »
Bobby was chewing gum all through the game today.  never seen him do that before. 

don't like it - it's dangerous ffs.  get banged, or fall, the wrong way, and a fast intake of breath could have the chewy stuck in your windpipe.

no idea why he'd start all of a sudden.

Probably quit smoking. ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14882 on: November 12, 2022, 11:49:03 pm »
Probably quit smoking. ;)
ah, that explains why people are moaning about him losing a step.  makes sense now.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14883 on: November 12, 2022, 11:52:27 pm »
"Idiocy" :lmao

People love talking exaggerated shite don't they?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #14884 on: November 12, 2022, 11:53:18 pm »
Apparently the club has started negotiations to extend Bobby’s contract.

Source = Fabrizo Romano

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14885 on: November 13, 2022, 12:08:04 am »
Apparently the club has started negotiations to extend Bobby’s contract.

Source = Fabrizo Romano

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says talks are taking place with forward Roberto Firmino about extending the 31-year-old's contract at the club, with the Brazil international's current deal running out in the summer. (Liverpool Echo)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14886 on: November 13, 2022, 12:21:28 am »
Loves/hates the South coast teams doesn’t he? 5 in 3 against them this season.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14887 on: November 13, 2022, 12:31:47 am »
He usually makes things tick like no other player we have in the final 1/3. One of those you can normally trust to keep hold, pass, move and receive in tight areas etc
Been an absolutely brilliant player for us, and probably has another couple of years in him

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #14888 on: November 13, 2022, 12:34:44 am »
Crazy decision considering that pigeon wanker is going without a league goal to his name.
Or a Brazil goal if I’m not mistaken.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #14889 on: November 13, 2022, 01:12:34 am »
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says talks are taking place with forward Roberto Firmino about extending the 31-year-old's contract at the club, with the Brazil international's current deal running out in the summer. (Liverpool Echo)

Yes please.  If he's sensible/kind enough to take presumably less money for a role where he won't figure every week (basically what he's doing now), it'd be, dare I say, 'idiocy' not to keep him.

Love the man, and been excellent this year.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #14890 on: November 13, 2022, 01:21:29 am »
Wonder what Bobby's wages are? does he need a pay cut considering what he brings to the team?? i wouldnt have thought so{unless he is on  180-200k P/W.. the man has everything in his locker. vision, touch awareness{ok maybe not the speed but a quick brain doenst need fast legs} if it came to letting "senior" players go, id rather OX  and Hendo than Bobby.
speaking of midfielders. hows Tyler Mortons loan getting on?  he looked like he had the potential to step up before his l;oan. wonder if he is JK's long term plans?

JFT 96

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #14891 on: November 13, 2022, 01:26:57 am »

What do we think would be sensible here then? One year with an option for a second? Two with an option for a third, to lock in a bit of sell-on value if we decide to part ways in 2024?

He's not about pace and dynamism, and his form this season suggests that suggestions that he was 'finished' were premature. Even if the Premier League proves to much for him in a couple of years' time, you'd think there'd be leagues out there that he could be a real asset in. Wonder what he wants in the medium term - he left Brazil over eleven years ago now.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #14892 on: November 13, 2022, 01:38:41 am »
Thiago and Bobby are our two most reliable players to break down other teams. Neither one relies on pace. Neither one are under 30.

Jurgen relies on both.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14893 on: November 13, 2022, 08:30:23 am »
Thiago and Bobby are our two most reliable players to break down other teams. Neither one relies on pace. Neither one are under 30.

Jurgen relies on both.

Not a great position to be in then is it?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14894 on: November 13, 2022, 08:31:14 am »
Wonder what Bobby's wages are? does he need a pay cut considering what he brings to the team?? i wouldnt have thought so{unless he is on  180-200k P/W.. the man has everything in his locker. vision, touch awareness{ok maybe not the speed but a quick brain doenst need fast legs} if it came to letting "senior" players go, id rather OX  and Hendo than Bobby.
speaking of midfielders. hows Tyler Mortons loan getting on?  he looked like he had the potential to step up before his l;oan. wonder if he is JK's long term plans?

Pretty sure he is on at least £180k a week.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14895 on: November 13, 2022, 08:32:51 am »
What do we think would be sensible here then? One year with an option for a second? Two with an option for a third, to lock in a bit of sell-on value if we decide to part ways in 2024?

He's not about pace and dynamism, and his form this season suggests that suggestions that he was 'finished' were premature. Even if the Premier League proves to much for him in a couple of years' time, you'd think there'd be leagues out there that he could be a real asset in. Wonder what he wants in the medium term - he left Brazil over eleven years ago now.

I guess we have completely abandoned the idea of pressing as a side then? Just have individuals playing their own game.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14896 on: November 13, 2022, 09:19:44 am »

1-year rolling contract.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #14897 on: November 13, 2022, 09:46:45 am »
Not a great position to be in then is it?
It's not ideal of course, but if we lose Firmino and replace him with someone younger it would easily cost us 50M. I'd rather spend that on the midfield, where we have much bigger problems.
One way to put it is that Firmino has been better this season than any of our midfielders.

I can see the comparisons with Milner, but Milner is 5 years older. Also, Milner was an important player for us for much longer than anyone expected. I think the last extension was probably a mistake, but up until that all the extensions have given us great value.

I think Bobby will get 2 years and then I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 year contracts like Milner.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14898 on: November 13, 2022, 09:48:30 am »
It's not ideal of course, but if we lose Firmino and replace him with someone younger it would easily cost us 50M. I'd rather spend that on the midfield, where we have much bigger problems.
One way to put it is that Firmino has been better this season than any of our midfielders.

I can see the comparisons with Milner, but Milner is 5 years older. Also, Milner was an important player for us for much longer than anyone expected. I think the last extension was probably a mistake, but up until that all the extensions have given us great value.

I think Bobby will get 2 years and then I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 year contracts like Milner.

I dont have any sympathy with how much it would cost to invest. If we are serious about challenging again, then we will need to spend. Otherwise we can continue this tactic of penny pinching in the transfer market.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14899 on: November 13, 2022, 10:21:58 am »

there is no way we are spending 50m on a 5th choice attacker, especially when you consider the 4 out of the 5 players ahead of him in the pecking order cost less than that.  If doak, carvalho and possibly Elliot work hard and improve then we might not need to buy a firmino replacement at all. Klopp speaks a lot about creating space in the squad for youngsters, we will see what happens here.  If Carvalho/Elliot aren't good enough to be a 5th choice attacker at 20+ having been in the 1st team sqaud 2/3 yrs, then they probably won't make it and we should see if we can sell and raise funds

We certainly need to invest in midfield and any contract extensions diminish our ability to do that.

90% of the blame for this season and the state we are in is due to FSG, but the recruitment team should have known what FSG are like and one of the biggest mistakes the recruitment team have made is not  selling/not renewing contracts for older players. The midfield rebuild could have started already if we didn't have certain players on the books with their wages

If we offer bobby an extension on EXISTING terms considering inflation, that would be a DECREASE of about 30% approx IMO, a 30% cut is in reality a 60% cut, considering he signed about 3 yrs ago, I'm not sure he would want that anyway, it would be close to an insult, to a premier league footballer to offer someone a cut of over 50% wages, even if we decided to go down this short termish approach
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 10:29:10 am by markmywords »

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #14900 on: November 13, 2022, 03:30:52 pm »

Jurgen relies on both.

All top level players rely on pace to some extent
They all need to be able to get a yard of space to get off a pass or shot or keep possession
What goes as they get older is that 10/20% of explosiveness that gave them that edge

And actually in Firminos case he’s decently quick - he’s doesn’t have elite pace but it’s always been a mistake to view him as slow (anyone who feels like it can check out some of our counter attacks in 2017/18 or 18/19) and his shorter distance movement has always been sharp
As with every 30+ year old you’re hoping it doesn’t decline quickly or decline too much while paying them a lot more than younger players

Bottom line is extending 30+ year olds is bad for a club like ours unless our entire business model is about to change … we can’t compete with wealthier clubs consistently if we’re going to continually spend our wage budget on post pals players

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14901 on: November 13, 2022, 03:44:29 pm »
"Idiocy" :lmao

People love talking exaggerated shite don't they?

This season is an object lesson in not allowing a team to get too old. You avoid that by being very selective about who you carry into their 30s. Given Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho, Salah, Van Dijk we can't be paying top end wages on another 30+ player well into their 30s. So yes, extending him would be pretty idiotic assuming he's not going to take a colossal pay cut.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14902 on: November 13, 2022, 04:14:16 pm »
Not so much for this thread but in general the whinging going on about FSG and transfers and we have to many players over the age of 30.

Just what the hell do you think the club has been doing but planning for the future and getting the average age down.

2022 transfers: Diaz, Nunez, Ramsey, Carvalho, Doak, Melo ( loan). Any of these that we've bought ready for a pension?

2021 transfers: Bajcetic, Davies, Kabak ( loan), Gordon, Konate. Again, other than a loan, the club have gone for younger players.

2020 transfers: Minamino, Tsimikas, Thiago, Jota, Pitaluga. Ahhh, found one Thiago was an oldie when we bought him. Should have never.

The problem with those who whinge about transfers is, it's always about a new shiny toy not about young players making their mark. Sure when transfer windows come around Jurgen will see if it makes sense to dip in and spend. But we're not the Galactico's buying the next global superstar. Get used to it.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14903 on: November 13, 2022, 04:17:19 pm »
This is a classic of the genre. Someone should tell Klopp about this mind. He's very keen on transfers. Probably worth posting in the transfer thread where it belongs. You can find Klopp's comments about transfers there too.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14904 on: November 13, 2022, 04:17:37 pm »

Sure when transfer windows come around Jurgen will see if it makes sense to dip in and spend.

Surely he won't want a shiny new toy?

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14905 on: November 13, 2022, 05:29:16 pm »
Surely he won't want a shiny new toy?

He won't, which will infuriate some.

Jurgen goes for toys he can polish into shiny. Like, Elliott, Carvalho, Doak, Nunez, and the rest...

Oh, and just like he did with Mo, Sadio, and Bobby.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14906 on: November 13, 2022, 05:29:21 pm »
How did he not make the Brasil squad?...
Brasil put Ederson in their last major final.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14907 on: November 13, 2022, 05:30:02 pm »

Jurgen goes for toys he can polish into shiny. Like, Elliott, Carvalho, Doak, Nunez, and the rest...

Yeah Jurgen loves those cheap not well known signings like Darwin Nunez.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14908 on: November 13, 2022, 05:30:57 pm »

What about Van Dijk, Alisson, Fabinho?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14909 on: November 13, 2022, 05:32:47 pm »

You're having a go at people for wanting shiny new toys but Nunez, Mo, Sadio etc didn't count as shiny new toys? The "shiny new toys" stuff on here gets weirder by the day, probably the only football forum I've ever seen where fans are mocked for wanting transfers to improve the team too.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14910 on: November 13, 2022, 05:33:40 pm »
What about Van Dijk, Alisson, Fabinho?

What about them.

For Fowlers sake...a few top end buys doesn't mean every fucking player has to be that way.

Jurgen want players that fit his system. Not flavours of the month. Players HE can mold.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14911 on: November 13, 2022, 05:34:12 pm »
And I want shiny new boys  :lickin not toys.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14912 on: November 13, 2022, 05:34:25 pm »
Ah yes the, 'we don't buy established talent' line. All the greatest hits are coming out here. I think he must be trolling.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14913 on: November 13, 2022, 05:36:49 pm »
Good chance of a 20 goal season in all comps.

Letting him go on a free would be madness.

If his international career is done then it can only help his longevity as well like with Milner.

Ideally Thiago, Hendo and Bobby will call it a day with their countries after the World Cup as they won't be at the next one.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14914 on: November 13, 2022, 05:42:17 pm »
You're having a go at people for wanting shiny new toys but Nunez, Mo, Sadio etc didn't count as shiny new toys? The "shiny new toys" stuff on here gets weirder by the day, probably the only football forum I've ever seen where fans are mocked for wanting transfers to improve the team too.

Mo..Chelsea has been, or should i say never made it in the PL. We got him, and no one...no one could have predicted 40 goals from him. Most were saying 15 goals would be good.

Sadio..Southampton player who showed flashes of being good. But no where near "top team" level.

Nunez..Scored 6 goals with Benfica his first season. Then 26 his second. Oh btw, Benfica have scored more goals as a team without him. But, one season and a couple of matches against us, saw Jurgen move him up the list of players to go after ( Jurgen said so). Seems history reinvents itself into everyone was after Darwin.

All were new players who needed polishing. They weren't prime Haaland/Messi/Ronaldo before we got them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:43:52 pm by 4pool »

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #14915 on: November 13, 2022, 05:48:45 pm »
Mo..Chelsea has been, or should i say never made it in the PL. We got him, and no one...no one could have predicted 40 goals from him. Most were saying 15 goals would be good.

Sadio..Southampton player who showed flashes of being good. But no where near "top team" level.

Nunez..Scored 6 goals with Benfica his first season. Then 26 his second. Oh btw, Benfica have scored more goals as a team without him. But, one season and a couple of matches against us, saw Jurgen move him up the list of players to go after ( Jurgen said so). Seems history reinvents itself into everyone was after Darwin.

All were new players who needed polishing. They weren't prime Haaland/Messi/Ronaldo before we got them.
What has that got to with Firmino?
Klopp has shown that he can keep ageing players for much longer than many expected, but also that he can let go if needed. In this case, Im pretty confident that Bobby will stay.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14916 on: November 13, 2022, 05:48:53 pm »

That isn't accurate, though.

If Mo got over 40 in his first season, then we are talking about all comps. Nunez got 14 in all comps in his first season and 34 in his second.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14917 on: November 13, 2022, 05:49:16 pm »

This is confusing, you are posting examples of great young attacking talent we signed in the transfer market and moulded in to even greater players but are also offended that people don't want a 31 year old to have his contract renewed so we could instead go and sign a "shiny new toy"?  ;D

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14918 on: November 13, 2022, 05:52:24 pm »

Mo Salah scored more than 40 goals in his debut season for us, 32 in the PL. He needed no polishing. :thumbup
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14919 on: November 13, 2022, 06:00:06 pm »
Having a 32/33 year old, not particularly quick attacker is fine as long as you’ve got plenty of pace elsewhere in attack…which we do

Having a 32/33 year old, not particularly quick midfielder is fine as long as you’ve got plenty of pace elsewhere in midfield…which we don’t

Bobby and Thiago for at least a few more seasons is fine as long as we remedy the other issues we have. Real Madrid can carry plenty of 30+ year olds because they’ve got the right players elsewhere
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.