Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3308875 times)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #29040 on: April 5, 2024, 10:40:31 pm »
Must have been some graft this week putting together all the previews, reviews, Gutters etc. Excellent work.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #29041 on: April 9, 2024, 09:57:03 am »
have had problems listening to the anfield wrap show on United game via the app today...
No issue with the other shows just that specific podcast

Although am listening via spotify without issue...dunno if thats a me thing but just a heads up
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #29042 on: April 10, 2024, 09:53:42 pm »
Not quite TAW but was listening to Robbo and Copey’s TLC pod this week. Robbo mentioned he had a stalker that was a bluenose that consistently posts videos of him on Twitter, I’ve followed him on Twitter since the Well Red days but never seen him mention it on there. Anyone seen it or have a link to any of the posts? Proper tickles me up stuff like that online.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #29043 on: April 11, 2024, 11:27:49 pm »
Usually a fan of Kev Walsh but had to turn The Pink off about 3 minutes into his drunk rant about how shit Kelleher is.
:D

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29044 on: April 11, 2024, 11:33:25 pm »
Usually a fan of Kev Walsh but had to turn The Pink off about 3 minutes into his drunk rant about how shit Kelleher is.

Kelleher, Gomez, Endo, Diaz, Nunez and Tsimikas are all shit apparently.

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #29045 on: April 11, 2024, 11:36:55 pm »

He's fucking hard work once he gets going isn't he

Offline 77kop05

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29046 on: April 12, 2024, 07:16:10 am »

Same as that. The video one was much easier to listen to.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29047 on: April 12, 2024, 07:37:20 am »
Kelleher, Gomez, Endo, Diaz, Nunez and Tsimikas are all shit apparently.

He's right on Tsimikas, but he was typically massively overboard on the rest. To be honest though, as massively over-the-top as he went, and as much he sounded like he'd had too many, I don't mind him machine-gunning the whole team last night. It was such an abysmal performance that being reasonable or finding positives isn't really what I give a shit about in that situation.

For what it's worth I agreed a lot (as I often do) with Phil Blundell - I think people aren't giving Atalanta enough credit. As bad as we were, they were probably the best team I've seen at Anfield this season. I mean obviously on paper, they aren't, but they played their absolute A game and their man-to-man pressing thing totally wrecked us. The work rate and organisation was ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 07:40:14 am by decosabute »

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29048 on: April 12, 2024, 09:12:28 am »

We absolutely tear Evertonians apart for such vitriol. Unlistenable drivel.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #29049 on: April 12, 2024, 09:16:22 am »
Interesting so many jumping on Kev Walsh's back, have you seen the posts in the player threads on here?
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29050 on: April 12, 2024, 09:20:48 am »
Perhaps TAW dont view themselves as therapists but sometimes after a defeat you need some cathaercis, Neil hosting neither post United show and these drunk ramblings really dont help.

Oh well.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29051 on: April 12, 2024, 09:21:59 am »
Perhaps TAW dont view themselves as therapists but sometimes after a defeat you need some cathaercis, Neil hosting neither post United show and these drunk ramblings really dont help.

Oh well.

Yeah nothing against the contributors on both of those shows, but I was disappointed when it wasn't Neil to put things into perspective.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29052 on: April 12, 2024, 09:36:39 am »
Interesting so many jumping on Kev Walsh's back, have you seen the posts in the player threads on here?

Just checked the Tsimikas thread and no dice, all posts in there are fine, mostly supportive.

If somebody is going to bat with awful opinions, then it’s absolutely fair people have opinions on that. Opinions AOTS. If he was shouting drunkenly at Anfield, he’d be told to shut the fuck up.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #29053 on: April 12, 2024, 09:38:54 am »
Just checked the Tsimikas thread and no dice, all posts in there are fine, mostly supportive.

If somebody is going to bat with awful opinions, then it’s absolutely fair people have opinions on that. Opinions AOTS. If he was shouting drunkenly at Anfield, he’d be told to shut the fuck up.

Oh I don't particularly disagree, but you should probably check the Endo, Szobozlai, Nunez, Gakpo et al threads.  No fans are whiter than white, he just happens to have a mic in his hand.

Dunno if it's just me but I'm not sure last nights game warrants individual analysis of key players, just a 'we were fucking shite across the park' would cover it.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #29054 on: April 12, 2024, 10:01:40 am »
Post match show was interesting, if only to hear very different perspectives of the game and the players. Kev was in full chimp-out mode, with hot takes about footballers that have mostly got us joint top of the league. The others were more circumspect and saw it for what it was - abysmal against an excellent team performance.

For a fanbase that rarely experiences defeat compared to nearly every other club, I think we’re becoming increasingly intolerant of moments of imperfection and disappointment. It’s mainly because City have changed the parameters of success, but I’m broadly irritated how badly some contend with bumps in the road. It can make the general post-match space a no-go-area.

Lad on the TAW Facebook group was suggesting that the players need therapy because of the FA Cup defeat, which apparently killed the season.

This isn’t sane and rational. It’s unhinged and stupid.

It’s not the league, which is a relief. Onwards.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29055 on: April 12, 2024, 10:09:31 am »
Yeah nothing against the contributors on both of those shows, but I was disappointed when it wasn't Neil to put things into perspective.

Same. It's difficult because he can't be doing every show but since Robbo left Neil really is head and shoulders above the rest for immediate and visceral post-match reaction, especially after a harrowing defeat.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29056 on: April 12, 2024, 10:13:03 am »
Same. It's difficult because he can't be doing every show but since Robbo left Neil really is head and shoulders above the rest for immediate and visceral post-match reaction, especially after a harrowing defeat.

There’s still a load of great contributors. Won’t name my favourites  because that’s unfair on any I leave out. Neil is a great host obviously, but I still enjoy the shows he doesn’t do.

Sometimes as Kenny says, a post match show can be cathartic, but I wasn’t ready to listen to last night’s. Probably says more about me than whoever was on there!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29057 on: April 12, 2024, 10:35:18 am »
There’s still a load of great contributors. Won’t name my favourites  because that’s unfair on any I leave out. Neil is a great host obviously, but I still enjoy the shows he doesn’t do.

Sometimes as Kenny says, a post match show can be cathartic, but I wasn’t ready to listen to last night’s. Probably says more about me than whoever was on there!

I really, really  like Mo Stewart, but hes not the man for a 2-2 defeat at Old Trafford
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #29058 on: April 12, 2024, 10:58:19 am »
The Pink was fine in my opinion. Though I didn’t agree with Kev Walsh (everyone’s rubbish and always have been opinion) or Phil’s (Atalanta were just so good and it’s a one off opinion). Think I’m somewhere in between.

But I suppose the Pink is meant to capture the potential range of opinions that are out there following a game. I thought Sian did a job hosting and bringing it all together, given the disparate opinions.

More generally I agree with the comments about Neil. More and more TAW is about Neil’s contribution. For me anyway. He’s probably one of the only contributors that consistently raises opinions or comments that are thought provoking. Josh Williams is arguably the only other who does this. Potentially Rob Gutmann but in a different way also.It happens with some other posters on occasions but it’s few and far between.

Doesn't necessarily mean I don’t enjoy hearing other contributors efforts, it’s just more that the other opinions generally are things you think yourself already or are things you’ve heard (and probably not given much credence to) elsewhere. Without Neil I think it would all be relatively bland, when it comes to discussing the current team.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29059 on: April 12, 2024, 11:35:28 am »
Speaking of Guttman, I actually did a proper laugh out loud (LOLz) at the start of yesterday’s gutter when they managed to get Amorim’s name down to the Rim-meister General. Excellent work all round.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29060 on: April 12, 2024, 11:39:42 am »
Speaking of Guttman, I actually did a proper laugh out loud (LOLz) at the start of yesterday’s gutter when they managed to get Amorim’s name down to the Rim-meister General. Excellent work all round.

There are certain ones who regardless of their opinion are just excellent at podcasting - Guttman is one of them

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #29061 on: April 12, 2024, 12:47:30 pm »
There are certain ones who regardless of their opinion are just excellent at podcasting - Guttman is one of them
Gutmann simultaneously takes it very seriously while being very unserious.

I remember Neil doing a Ted-talk style thing at some convention a few years ago - on YouTube - and he said that a great piece of advice he’d got was that this is not deadly brain surgery or something to that effect; in that it’s supposed to be a fun pursuit that should be treated as such. The point is that TAW works because it does well to get the balance right most of the time. Seriously unserious.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29062 on: April 12, 2024, 12:53:54 pm »
Gutmann simultaneously takes it very seriously while being very unserious.

I remember Neil doing a Ted-talk style thing at some convention a few years ago - on YouTube - and he said that a great piece of advice he’d got was that this is not deadly brain surgery or something to that effect; in that it’s supposed to be a fun pursuit that should be treated as such. The point is that TAW works because it does well to get the balance right most of the time. Seriously unserious.

Neil also said we should sign Dele Ali. Football isnt fun, Football is life.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #29063 on: April 12, 2024, 12:57:59 pm »
Neil also said we should sign Dele Ali. Football isnt fun, Football is life.

I once did a thread defending Hodge.

We all have receipts… :P

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29064 on: April 12, 2024, 01:00:55 pm »

True

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29065 on: April 12, 2024, 01:49:25 pm »

Always knew you were a wrong’un.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #29066 on: April 12, 2024, 01:53:37 pm »
Always knew you were a wrong’un.
It’s been in the works for over a decade!!

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29067 on: April 12, 2024, 02:19:41 pm »
The Pink was fine in my opinion. Though I didn’t agree with Kev Walsh (everyone’s rubbish and always have been opinion) or Phil’s (Atalanta were just so good and it’s a one off opinion). Think I’m somewhere in between.

But I suppose the Pink is meant to capture the potential range of opinions that are out there following a game. I thought Sian did a job hosting and bringing it all together, given the disparate opinions.

More generally I agree with the comments about Neil. More and more TAW is about Neil’s contribution. For me anyway. He’s probably one of the only contributors that consistently raises opinions or comments that are thought provoking. Josh Williams is arguably the only other who does this. Potentially Rob Gutmann but in a different way also.It happens with some other posters on occasions but it’s few and far between.

Doesn't necessarily mean I don’t enjoy hearing other contributors efforts, it’s just more that the other opinions generally are things you think yourself already or are things you’ve heard (and probably not given much credence to) elsewhere. Without Neil I think it would all be relatively bland, when it comes to discussing the current team.

I'd agree with a lot of your post, and I do think that TAW is hugely dependent on Neil's contributions, probably more than it used to be. I do think though, that there are a few others who do also offer something different.

- The other two on the Review, especially Sean Rodgers, will always offer something tactically that I may not have thought of myself.

- Mo Stewart is so knowledgeable about European football and so reasoned in his thinking that he offers information and a degree of sense that really adds something I feel.

- For all that he's funny too, Gutmann actually thinks a little outside the box, is strong in his views, and isn't afraid of a mad shout, which is great.

- The two football writers, Neil Jones and Josh Williams are both really good and actually add thoughts I may not have otherwise had when they're on. Beth Lindop also a good addition, and while I don't think she necessarily says anything groundbreaking, I like her measured way of discussing things.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #29068 on: April 12, 2024, 02:57:23 pm »
I'd agree with a lot of your post, and I do think that TAW is hugely dependent on Neil's contributions, probably more than it used to be. I do think though, that there are a few others who do also offer something different.

- The other two on the Review, especially Sean Rodgers, will always offer something tactically that I may not have thought of myself.

- Mo Stewart is so knowledgeable about European football and so reasoned in his thinking that he offers information and a degree of sense that really adds something I feel.

- For all that he's funny too, Gutmann actually thinks a little outside the box, is strong in his views, and isn't afraid of a mad shout, which is great.

- The two football writers, Neil Jones and Josh Williams are both really good and actually add thoughts I may not have otherwise had when they're on. Beth Lindop also a good addition, and while I don't think she necessarily says anything groundbreaking, I like her measured way of discussing things.

I purposefully tried to keep it less specific on contributors on my original post but the ones you highlighted are standouts for me. I think Phil B is always the voice of reason and measured. Similar to Beth in that regard, who has been a good addition. Damien Kavanagh is similar also and brings that old wise head element. Ben J is funny and brings something different.

A lot of good contributors (including loads I haven’t mentioned)but they are all complementary to having Neil or potentially Rob on the same show. Without Neil or Rob it all becomes a bit bland, and that’s with thinking 90% of the contributors speak well and have reasonable if differing points of view. Only a small handful of contributors I struggle with individually.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #29069 on: April 14, 2024, 07:41:29 am »
It shouldn't be needed to be said. But as a gentle reminder, don't expect any output from the girls and guys tomorrow

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29070 on: April 14, 2024, 09:23:38 am »
Dan Morgan's insertion of Blue Nile lyrics in to his latest article - beautiful.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #29071 on: April 14, 2024, 09:33:14 am »

Yep, but to be fair, the kind of people that rip into our players are all dickheads. So there is that.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #29072 on: April 14, 2024, 11:13:49 am »
Yep, but to be fair, the kind of people that rip into our players are all dickheads. So there is that.

Oh I understand that Andy but, yknow, fair's fair, he's just one of the gobshites on here with a microphone at that point.

(I generally like his stuff, more a comment on the negativity)

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29073 on: April 14, 2024, 01:16:05 pm »
Good to see Konate back in the league team so Neil doesn'thave to fight Klopp

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #29074 on: April 14, 2024, 04:01:22 pm »
They should have kev Walsh on defending Curtis Jones.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29075 on: April 14, 2024, 08:37:50 pm »
Great Pink tonight. Thoughtful, insightful and, with the added knowledge of the Arsenal result from a later perspective, it ends the day with a hint of positivity (despite that first half an hour).

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29076 on: April 14, 2024, 08:52:30 pm »
Great Pink tonight. Thoughtful, insightful and, with the added knowledge of the Arsenal result from a later perspective, it ends the day with a hint of positivity (despite that first half an hour).

Everyone can have different opinions, but I wasn't into it myself. When the feeling is that raw after we've effectively fucked ourselves (probably) out of two competitions in the space of week, I just didn't understand the lack of blood to it. I don't listen to the Pink to feel better necessarily. I don't need the Pink to be measured and finding positives. And I don't think that's the point of the show either.

I want it to be as raw as I'm feeling myself. People love Damian Kavanagh on here and I understand why, but I don't think he's great on the Pink. I know him and Gibbons are glass half full guys and fair play to them, but the lack of bite in it after a week that's been as bad as this was weird - the whole thing was too subdued. I remember having a similar feeling when the same two were on after the Pickford-Van Dijk derby in 2020. That game and the one today were very emotionally difficult games to take. The Pink needs to reflect that emotion better.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 08:55:13 pm by decosabute »

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29077 on: April 14, 2024, 09:07:18 pm »
Personally, I've zero interest in podcasts that are wall to wall negativity and misery. I'm always trying to find positives, while acknowledging the negatives so I'm glad to hear the pink was in that mould.

Not forgetting, we are 2 points off top and still have a chance of progressing in Europe, albeit a slight one.

Will be a big ask to win it but we have a chance.

We've also overachieved and exceeded most peoples expectations in the league i suspect.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29078 on: April 14, 2024, 11:12:29 pm »
Everyone can have different opinions, but I wasn't into it myself. When the feeling is that raw after we've effectively fucked ourselves (probably) out of two competitions in the space of week, I just didn't understand the lack of blood to it. I don't listen to the Pink to feel better necessarily. I don't need the Pink to be measured and finding positives. And I don't think that's the point of the show either.

I want it to be as raw as I'm feeling myself. People love Damian Kavanagh on here and I understand why, but I don't think he's great on the Pink. I know him and Gibbons are glass half full guys and fair play to them, but the lack of bite in it after a week that's been as bad as this was weird - the whole thing was too subdued. I remember having a similar feeling when the same two were on after the Pickford-Van Dijk derby in 2020. That game and the one today were very emotionally difficult games to take. The Pink needs to reflect that emotion better.

I am presuming that they choose who is going to do what show in advance so as to avoid a logistical nightmare, so do you not think saying they “need to reflect” a particular emotion “better” is a bit of an unreasonable demand? Because if we are all in agreement that booking in people on a whim depending on the result is out of the picture for that particular show, then the only way you’re getting what you want is by those who are booked on changing their personalities and looking to lean in to the negativity. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of “content creators” on the Internet who are doing exactly that, but I think that the reason why a lot of people gravitate towards The Anfield Wrap (besides them being Liverpool supporters) is because it’s normal people giving normal opinions.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #29079 on: April 17, 2024, 11:41:34 am »
I know the podcast is the main deal but I really wish they'd do more writing because a) I find podcasts generally difficult to listen to because my brain is weird like that b) they have some really, really good writers - Neil's post-match reviews especially help me shift my thoughts into place when I'm not sure what to make of a game. Even if they are probably written by an extremely drunk man, idk.