Author Topic: HBO's The Watchmen  (Read 9478 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
HBO's The Watchmen
« on: October 21, 2019, 06:28:12 am »
What the fuck did I just watch?

Spoiler
It's about white supremacy now, I guess? Showed Tulsa, and then Regina was hunting racists. No clue at all how any of this ties back in to the original comic. Bizarre.

Really good episode though, I'm interested to see where they take it.
[close]
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: HBO's The Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 08:14:58 am »
Got it recorded. Will watch later. Know nothing about it to be honest.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 09:04:34 am »
Read a review/preview at the weekend and it said that you will be a bit lost if you haven't read the graphic novel. Would recommend giving it a read if you haven't already.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:18:32 pm »
Haven't read the novel, but looks like there's going to be a bit more world building in the next episode.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:37:29 pm »
Enjoyed the first episode. I'll watch anything with Regina King in it. She's ace.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 10:32:05 pm »
Quite enjoyed the first episode. Think it will take 3 or 4 episodes to really get into it so hopefully it continues at a decent level.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 07:34:49 am »
What the fuck did I just watch?

Spoiler
It's about white supremacy now, I guess? Showed Tulsa, and then Regina was hunting racists. No clue at all how any of this ties back in to the original comic. Bizarre.

Really good episode though, I'm interested to see where they take it.
[close]

Spoiler
I guess that it will be kind of a remake, in a reverse world. The white police officer add the dead comedian, Regina as Rorschach...
[close]

As the original material, it will open up add it goes.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 08:38:26 am »
Spoiler
I really enjoyed the episode and loved their take on the Tulsa Riots, probably 7-8 years since I first read about it in the Atlantic, it's great to see it finally be portrayed on screen. The dynamics between the characters and the town's racial tension were fascinating to say the least. Watchmen was so steeped in grotesque, Cosmic Grandeurs and urban Hellhole experiences, none of which was found in the show so far. I couldn't help but wonder if the Watchmen lore might be holding back what this southern Superhero show could be. It might have been better for Lindelof to have created his own superhero lore just for this show. Plus to do the Watchmen graphic novel true justice I felt it needed someone with more of a cinematic vision than a visionary writer. More like Denis Villeneuve than Lindelof. 

But then I read the Watchmen IP was going to be force to made into something soon by the Time Warner executives. So I guess Lindelof is better than the majority of hacks out there. And I'm now wondering how they will incoporate the theoretical physics and casuality ideas from the novel into the show. I enjoyed those moments from Lost.
[close]
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 09:59:16 am »
Really enjoyed this, looks like a good beginning with lots of threads to pull on.

The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 10:27:54 am »
I'm re-reading the novel before watching! Forgot how good it is.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 09:37:50 am »
Even though I am unfamiliar with the DC comic limited series, I went into this blind and loved the first episode and cant wait to watch Ep2 tonight.

Comic book purists who are familiar with the Watchmen series may even be a bit more confused watching this than us uninitiated.

Saying that, I wasn't actually too confused and think they did a great job with the opener.  I think in the main it didn't screw with out heads too much.  As someone else mentioned the world narrative may be opened up more in episode 2 and beyond.

Only taken from Wiki but still relevant:

"Lindelof likened the television series as a "remix" of the limited series; while a sequel taking 34 years after the events of the limited series within the same alternate reality, Lindelof wanted to introduce new characters and conflicts that create a new story within the Watchmen continuity, rather than creating a reboot"

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 09:37:41 am »
What did you make of episode 2 guys?  Slightly more confusing than the opener but still very good and I think I'm still with it.  Obviously the world is expanding and characters such as Adrian Veidt (Jeremy Irons) and DR Manhattan don't mean much to me so its therefore confusing when they are either on screen or mentioned.

I appreciate if i'd read the original graphic novel all this would make sense.

To be fair, Angela Abar (Regina King) is also looking for answers and is just as confused as the viewer.  I expect we find answers to questions at the same time Angela does which is cool. :)

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 09:48:02 am »
What did you make of episode 2 guys?  Slightly more confusing than the opener but still very good and I think I'm still with it.  Obviously the world is expanding and characters such as Adrian Veidt (Jeremy Irons) and DR Manhattan don't mean much to me so its therefore confusing when they are either on screen or mentioned.

I appreciate if i'd read the original graphic novel all this would make sense.

To be fair, Angela Abar (Regina King) is also looking for answers and is just as confused as the viewer.  I expect we find answers to questions at the same time Angela does which is cool. :)
I enjoyed it mate. I haven't read the graphic novel but I did watch the film which I thought was good so I know what's gone on but it is a slow burner at the moment.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 10:08:35 am »
I haven't read the comic/novel whatever you wanna call it but I basically just read the wikipedia page for it so I understood the background before watching this and it helped alot.

I saw the film when it came out but the show doesn't follow on from the film it follows on from the comic as far as I know.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 11:50:14 am »
Spoiler
It was clear as day Mr Miami Vice was a klan member or upto no good but yeah im with you Buck mate,its all a bit murky at the minute. I know its basically starting from scratch and just introducing us to new characters apart from Irons whos gone a bit doolally since we last saw him over 30 years ago ,compared to the fleem but,im enjoying it and know its only gonna get better. Love it
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 01:59:39 pm »
Ah Capo,

Big spoilers for first 2 eps below:

Spoiler
I'm still not totally 100% convinced the Chief of Police (Don Johnson) was an actual Klan member up to no good.  Its a long shot and I am purely guessing here but he may have been going undercover as KKK member, hence the robes in his closet.

Saying that, its more probable he could have orchestrated the "White Night" massacre which explains how he survived along with Angela.

Angela had 2 assassins go for her that night and we saw her kill one and was then on the floor about to have her head blown off by another.  What actually happened there will be very interesting.  Was she spared out of sympathy by the surviving assassin or did her hubby rescue her?  Maybe she was spared so the Chief wasn't the only survivor and it didn't look too suspicious.

[close]

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 02:14:50 pm »
Ah Capo,

Big spoilers for first 2 eps below:

Spoiler
I'm still not totally 100% convinced the Chief of Police (Don Johnson) was an actual Klan member up to no good.  Its a long shot and I am purely guessing here but he may have been going undercover as KKK member, hence the robes in his closet.

Saying that, its more probable he could have orchestrated the "White Night" massacre which explains how he survived along with Angela.

Angela had 2 assassins go for her that night and we saw her kill one and was then on the floor about to have her head blown off by another.  What actually happened there will be very interesting.  Was she spared out of sympathy by the surviving assassin or did her hubby rescue her?  Maybe she was spared so the Chief wasn't the only survivor and it didn't look too suspicious.

[close]
Spoiler
Her Gramps didnt kill him for no reason but i do agree with the scenario you mentioned were it might be best to keep her alive due to it not looking like an inside job. Clint Eastwoods wife might be the bad guy here as i think itll come out shes having an affair with the cop who angela was introduced to at the party and i think both are also involved. Gorra feeling Looking Glass is not what he seems and might be a sith. it could all be Ozymandias meddling again like in the fleem playing everyone off against one another to get an outcome he wants
[close]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:19:13 pm by Capon Debaser »

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 02:31:39 pm »
Speculation on Angela's grandad...

Spoiler
Read some pretty compelling speculation that Angela's grandad is the original Hooded Justice. Works age wise, he wears the same colour scheme, the use of the noose... feels quite likely after they gave the character so much focus on the show-within-the-show.
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 03:47:16 pm »
Spoiler
I might be mistaken here but Grandad has not admitted to lynching Chief Crawford? In fact I'm sure he said he didn't kill the Chief.
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 1, 2019, 07:28:16 pm »
Spoiler
I might be mistaken here but Grandad has not admitted to lynching Chief Crawford? In fact I'm sure he said he didn't kill the Chief.
[close]

I thought he said that it was him every time she asked.

Can't wait for it to end so I can binge the lot.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 2, 2019, 12:40:12 am »
I thought he said that it was him every time she asked.

Can't wait for it to end so I can binge the lot.

Just watched episode 2 again.

Yeah your right i need my ears cleaning out :)

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #21 on: November 4, 2019, 06:15:54 pm »
Episode 3 is good, lots of recaps back to the movie, The Ozymandias stuff is really good
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 4, 2019, 07:35:00 pm »
Episode 3 is good, lots of recaps back to the movie, The Ozymandias stuff is really good

And a big blue dildo with attaching balls  :lmao

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: November 4, 2019, 07:43:02 pm »
And a big blue dildo with attaching balls  :lmao

Hahahahah Whatever floats your boat mate ;)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 4, 2019, 08:25:18 pm »
Really enjoyed Episode 3 and the introduction of Laurie Blake. 

Was a bit confused with a few things regarding Blake and had to read up on her former life as Silk Spectre #2 and past relationship with Dr Manhattan.  Now I sort of understand the relevance of the phone calls to Mars and big blue "thingy".

"You wear a mirror on your face, people are gonna use it" :)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 5, 2019, 06:15:14 pm »
Hahahahah Whatever floats your boat mate ;)

Is exactly what I said when she opened the case,so big that the poor lass didn't have room for many clothes.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 6, 2019, 01:32:42 pm »
Loved that episode. Felt like it's really kicked into gear now that we're a bit more comfortable in this world.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 6, 2019, 03:19:54 pm »
I know all will be revealed which is great but I have no clue what Adrian Veidt (Ozymandias) is up to. Totally bonkers

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2019, 11:55:11 pm »
Watched the first two episodes, but I'm apprehensive in continuing on with it. Reason being is the hack Damon Lindelof is writing it, and so far from what I can tell, it's got his trademark shite 'ask a question, get two questions back which leads to fuck all' style of writing stamped all over it. Ambiguity and confusion for the sake of it only serves for a frustrating watch, and episode 2 was basically that until the end.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2019, 11:56:58 pm »
Watched the first two episodes, but I'm apprehensive in continuing on with it. Reason being is the hack Damon Lindelof is writing it, and so far from what I can tell, it's got his trademark shite 'ask a question, get two questions back which leads to fuck all' style of writing stamped all over it. Ambiguity and confusion for the sake of it only serves for a frustrating watch, and episode 2 was basically that until the end.

The third ties it together much better, I'd recommend doing that one before quitting man.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 10:03:36 am »
Just watched episode 4
Spoiler
If Angela Abar/Sister Night grandfather is dead  with her great-grandparents since the Tulsa Riots according to the institute how was she and her parents born?
[close]
[/quote]
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 04:32:23 pm »
Just watched episode 4
Spoiler
If Angela Abar/Sister Night grandfather is dead  with her great-grandparents since the Tulsa Riots according to the institute how was she and her parents born?
[close]

Spoiler
he isn't dead? They just think he is but she knows better no?
[close]

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 08:03:42 pm »
Jesus, Ep 4 was a head fuck, that baby microwave WTF, had to watch this to level it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RkupRBQjeM

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2019, 08:39:46 pm »
Just watched episode 4
Spoiler
[close]

He escaped in episode 1

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2019, 08:40:29 pm »
Jesus, Ep 4 was a head fuck, that baby microwave WTF, had to watch this to level it out

The way he was tossing them back in the water  ;D

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2019, 10:26:46 pm »
Spoiler
Lube Man!
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2019, 10:47:23 pm »
Spoiler
Lube Man!
[close]

Spoiler
Has to be the agent.
[close]

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2019, 10:50:23 pm »
Spoiler
Nicely done, but waaaaaay too long.
[close]
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2019, 11:19:33 pm »
What's the verdict a few episodes in now?

I've seen the first episode and thought it was great, but the preview for the second looked batshit.

My regular viewing group hasn't convened for a few weeks, so I'll have a few saved up fairly soon.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2019, 11:42:34 pm »

Spot on, Thanks for this

The Ozy/Veidt story arc continues to get more and more bonkers :)