Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5739787 times)

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
Re: I like the fact you underestimate Arsenal this season!!
« Reply #400 on: October 30, 2008, 10:30:01 pm »
Be prepared for 'the kids' to beat Stoke at the weekend by a hatful, so we can all go through it again. It's like 'Groundhog Week' or something. One match you're playing good football, winning the game comfortably, media falling over themselves to cup Wenger's balls and stroke his pecker etc. Then a few days later all of your weaknesses are exposed within 90 minutes, Wenger blames immaturity/overly-physical tactics/bad refereeing, doesn't give anyone any credit ever, etc.

BUT does anyone question this? Does anyone say Wenger's close to the sack? Do the papers make up stories about someone replacing him? Do you see anyone writing them off for the title? Do you see any mention of the word 'rotation'? Do you see anyone ripping certain players to shreds and putting more and more pressure on them to perform?

NO. NOTHING. NADDA. ZIP.

It beggars belief how Rafa can get so much stick over the last few years while Wenger remains untouchable. It's absolutely criminal infact.

I honestly don't think Wenger will ever learn from his mistakes. I think he'll just keep going trying to bring in youngsters and win games with 'beautiful' football until you win something. Which is fine because he'll never receive any pressure from anywhere while doing so, it would seem. Rafa can't afford to fuck about this season and win nothing, because as soon as that happens he'll be under all the pressure the muppet media can muster, leading to our stupid owners thinking a change of manager is what we need. Wenger will continue to keep his job while blaming the entire world around him for his short-comings, and the worst of it is people listen and believe him.

Incredible.

It's pretty simple really, Wenger has won the league multiple times while Rafa hasn't really been close. Not saying it's a good argument, as its not an apples to apples comparison, but it explains why Wenger gets the benefit of the doubt.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #401 on: October 30, 2008, 11:09:31 pm »
It's pretty simple really, Wenger has won the league multiple times while Rafa hasn't really been close. Not saying it's a good argument, as its not an apples to apples comparison, but it explains why Wenger gets the benefit of the doubt.

Three times in ten years isnt that great a return...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #402 on: October 30, 2008, 11:33:05 pm »

Was about to post the same.

So Rafa should never be under any pressure from all and sundry then, seeing as he won us the biggest club trophy in Europe not long ago? Shame the media don't seem to realise it.
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #403 on: October 30, 2008, 11:37:15 pm »
Was about to post the same.

So Rafa should never be under any pressure from all and sundry then, seeing as he won us the biggest club trophy in Europe not long ago? Shame the media don't seem to realise it.

He's also gotten us to a final and semi final since...furthest Wenger's gotten in Europe is two final defeats(UEFA and CL)
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #404 on: October 31, 2008, 01:51:10 am »
Getting Yaya Toure would have you as title contenders.
I wonder if Wenger gets that eye operation for Christmas and can see it in time.
They need a centre back first and foremost to organise Gallas. Gallas is not a leader, he wasn't at Chelsea he was Terry's side kick or a full back. Good player but not an organiser.

They also need a midfielder with strength and legs and probably a keeper.

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #405 on: October 31, 2008, 04:55:26 am »
In a nutshell, uncomposed in defense & no "hardman" type player to lead the team.

Offline St Skrtel

• Kopite
  • Skrtel doesn't smile?
« Reply #406 on: October 31, 2008, 04:57:32 am »
I like the fact you overrate Arsenal this season

Offline redwood32

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: October 31, 2008, 05:10:31 am »

What a load of bollocks.

I'm no Wenger sympathiser, can't stand the media beat up for Arsenal. Don't particularly like the man either too much whingeing for me...but he's a good manager and can build talented teams. If 3 titles and 4 FA cups in 12 years isn't good enough, fuck me.

Just looking at it on paper, Shankly managed 3 titles, 2 FA cups and 1 UEFA cup in 15 years. Wenger has 3 titles, 4 FA cups in 12 years. Shankly obviously had a far, far greater task. Reforming the whole club, bringing us up from division 2, etc.. Earned far more respect and did a far greater job. But the number of awards both won are similar. Situations were different, obviously. Nobody from Liverpool would have ever called for Bill's head though, and rightfully nobody from Arsenal should call for Wenger's either.

He's also gotten us to a final and semi final since...furthest Wenger's gotten in Europe is two final defeats(UEFA and CL)

And last time I checked, getting to finals and semi-finals means fuck all in the scheme of things. Wenger has been runner up for the title no less than 5 times over at Arsenal. If you're going to say Rafa shouldn't be under pressure for getting us to final and semi-final appearances, at least use your measuring stick to assess Wenger in the league as well. Some of these arguments are comedy at it's finest.

I despise Wenger as a person. But I'm not stupid enough to say 3 titles in "10 years" isn't good enough. Nor am I stupid enough to say Arsenal should be calling for his head. 3 titles and 5 second place finishes in 12 years...sign me up any manager that has such a steady record over that long of a period please.

Modern day football fans. It's all about now, now, now. Doesn't matter what you've done for the club, it matters what you've done in the last 10 games.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #408 on: October 31, 2008, 05:53:05 am »
What a load of bollocks.

I'm no Wenger sympathiser, can't stand the media beat up for Arsenal. Don't particularly like the man either too much whingeing for me...but he's a good manager and can build talented teams. If 3 titles and 4 FA cups in 12 years isn't good enough, fuck me.

Just looking at it on paper, Shankly managed 3 titles, 2 FA cups and 1 UEFA cup in 15 years. Wenger has 3 titles, 4 FA cups in 12 years. Shankly obviously had a far, far greater task. Reforming the whole club, bringing us up from division 2, etc.. Earned far more respect and did a far greater job. But the number of awards both won are similar. Situations were different, obviously. Nobody from Liverpool would have ever called for Bill's head though, and rightfully nobody from Arsenal should call for Wenger's either.

And last time I checked, getting to finals and semi-finals means fuck all in the scheme of things. Wenger has been runner up for the title no less than 5 times over at Arsenal. If you're going to say Rafa shouldn't be under pressure for getting us to final and semi-final appearances, at least use your measuring stick to assess Wenger in the league as well. Some of these arguments are comedy at it's finest.

I despise Wenger as a person. But I'm not stupid enough to say 3 titles in "10 years" isn't good enough. Nor am I stupid enough to say Arsenal should be calling for his head. 3 titles and 5 second place finishes in 12 years...sign me up any manager that has such a steady record over that long of a period please.

Modern day football fans. It's all about now, now, now. Doesn't matter what you've done for the club, it matters what you've done in the last 10 games.

What he said

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #409 on: October 31, 2008, 05:53:22 am »
Just the fact that Gallas is a captain after that defeat last year, you know, the one where they weren't top of the table anymore?  Threw it away at the end?  Can't remember who they were playing, just remember they blew it, and Gallas had a proper fit right in front of all the fans, all the cameras.  That's some captain.  And that's some manager that keeps him there.  Wenger has impressed in the League without a doubt, but at some point, he turned into a complete moaning, complaining twat who isn't paying attention: the game's faster and more physical than it was 4 years ago.  So buy a fucking defensive midfielder and shut up.
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: October 31, 2008, 06:15:07 am »
I think Wenger is a fantastic manager etc., but he is somewhat maniacal about his image as a magician who turns noname players into world stars. That's the only reason how I can explain his hesitance to go out and buy needed players.
Silvestre? Fucking joke, isn't it?! Not buying any good midfielder since Vieira, Edu and Gilberto times etc.

The way it is going, he will never win another trophy in his time in Arsenal. Because all young stars would want to leave the club, once they see Wenger's maniacal pursuit of noname young players. Next summer, it's Adebayor, at least, who is leaving.

Offline matchyg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2008, 06:34:15 am »
Wenger is one of my favourite managers seeing him losing it like this makes me very very sad.  :'(  :'(
I also think Emirates may be jinxed for the home team. Arsenal are always getting bad results at home recently, and good results away. Wenger needs to address this. Come on Wenger step it up!
As above, so below.  As within, so without.
Magna est veritas et prevalebit

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: October 31, 2008, 07:45:11 am »
Let me address some points

I've said it before, but the thing that amazes me is Wenger's policies in the transfer market. I mean, how do you judge what a manager does when buying players? Is buying a failure worse than not prioritising on the positions you're in desperate need of improvement? There is no doubting Walcott and Nasri can become great players, but they cost a combined total of over £20m.

Ok we didn't so much need Walcott at the time but Nasri we needed . The buys we got we tended to need or young players for future like Vela, the problem is the buys we, for whatever reason, didn't get

Bear in mind we lacked a poacher when we got Eduardo and would have had a strikeforce of Ade, Van Persie, Nic and Walcott if we hadn't brought him in.

I think Vieira's days were numbered and selling him might not have been the end of the world for Arsenal, but why didn't they get a proper replacement for him? That's what confuses me as it is clear they are not far off being a fantastic side.

I think there was hope Diaby would take that role but injuries have slowed his progress  and at the time, we had Gilberto brilliantly shielding the defence and a young Cesc. Problem with that is Gilberto and Cesc lacked muscle, something Flamini gave last season but if Flamini was more then a short term answer I'm not sure

We did try to get a dm but now must force Song to sit back, at gun point if need be. Half way line a no no Song ;)

Does anyone say Wenger's close to the sack? Do the papers make up stories about someone replacing him?

Ok maybe you need to consider the boards at the club. Benitez got under pressure before but with Parry then Hicks/Gillet not to fond of Benitez, people could believe that. Jose close to being sacked could be because of arguments with Roman. People can believe that.

Now imagine a journalist goes "Arsene Wenger is facing the sack. Even though he has completed the board objectives of 4th place in league and CL group stage last season and completed one of the two objectives already, I say due to a few bad results the board will sack him. Even though they didn't when Arsenal looked set for 5th at last season at Highbury, even though the board have never indicted being unhappy, even though they have backed him, even though Wenger has been hamstrung by lack of money they lack of Director of Football. I say he will be sacked." He will be openly mocked and the men in white coats will come for him. Everyone knows the board of Arsenal are not going to sack Wenger, they might as well do something more credible. Like George Bush has cured cancer

Do you see anyone writing them off for the title?

BBC, 4-4-2, the Times? Aside from everyone at these three places?

Do you see anyone ripping certain players to shreds and putting more and more pressure on them to perform?

Gallas?

Silvestre? Fucking joke, isn't it?! Not buying any good midfielder since Vieira, Edu and Gilberto times etc.

He has done quite well so far and for 500k, if he can sort out the height problem, add a bit more expirience to the side and form an effective partnership, he will be bargain. As for not getting in decent's cm's, what is Cesc exactly? Ramsey? Diaby? Denilson is actually good. We haven't got a dm but that isn't for want of trying

I also think Emirates may be jinxed for the home team. Arsenal are always getting bad results at home recently, and good results away.

we tended to be better away then at home even at Highbury.

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #413 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:06 am »
All this reminds me to some extent of the great Brazil side of the 1982 World Cup, probably the side best collection of attacking players  the world has seen they destroyed USSR, Scotland, New Zealand and then Argentina before meeting Italy.

The Italians played a packed defence and hit hard on the counter attack and often used some quite brutal tackling especially from Gentile (a wonderfully oxymoronic name for a player who in his pomp would make Skretl look quite tame) the Brazilians could not deal with it and didn't have an organiser on the pitch to stiffen their resolve and they went out.

Arsenal seem much the same to me, they can be mouth watering when they are allowed to play the game they want to play and totally at a lose when the oppositions doesn't let them.

Before I am buried by a mountain of abuse, I am not suggesting that Arsenal are equal to the Brazil 1982 side, because they aren't, I am just drawing a general comparison.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:27:14 am by Camina Camina »
Borussia Park, Sud Tribune, Block 4 Rechts, Reihe 24, Platz 9

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #414 on: October 31, 2008, 08:21:02 am »
If Arsenal had a spine of Reina, Carragher and Mascherano, they'd probably win the league. I was watching Lassana Diarra yesterday for Pompey and he was easily their best player. It's criminal that Chelsea and Arsenal didn't give him much playing time as he is comfortably good enough to play for a top four side. In fact, if we didn't have Mascherano, I'd be desperate for his signature.

I've said it before, but the thing that amazes me is Wenger's policies in the transfer market. I mean, how do you judge what a manager does when buying players? Is buying a failure worse than not prioritising on the positions you're in desperate need of improvement? There is no doubting Walcott and Nasri can become great players, but they cost a combined total of over £20m. Manchester United overpaid for Hargreaves, but signing a player like him would have been more beneficial for Arsenal. Same goes for Mascherano. Who, for the record, signed for a similar fee that they spent on Eduardo Da Silva.

Anyone with any knowledge of football could see Pires, Ljungberg, Henry, Wiltord, Bergkamp and whoever else is remembered would not have had the same freedom without a fantastic backline and the defensive cover of Patrick Vieira. I think Vieira's days were numbered and selling him might not have been the end of the world for Arsenal, but why didn't they get a proper replacement for him? That's what confuses me as it is clear they are not far off being a fantastic side.

Denilson, Nasri, Rosicky, Van Persie, Walcott, Fabregas, Adebayor etc are all great players, but without someone who'll roll their sleeves up and get stuck in, they won't win a thing.
No point in myself posting , all said above ;)

Offline I Like Boobs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: October 31, 2008, 08:45:08 am »
I'm very glad that Alonso didn't join Arsenal in the summer. He's been superb for us and would have given them a lot in the midfield.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: October 31, 2008, 08:47:24 am »
Wenger should not be under pressure. Just because the press put Benitez under pressure doesnt mean then that Wenger should get it.

He has won numerous trophies with Arsenal and he, like us, is competing with Chelsea and Man Utd, two clubs with vast more resources than Arsenal and ourselves.

He has pretty much created 3 different teams (although he obv had help with the first one). The previous 2 have been successful, while the current one hasnt as yet.

However, it is full of fantastic players, most of whom are all young with bags of potential. If Wenger left now, who wouldnt be excited in taking over his team?

As people have mentioned, they are only short of 3 players. A goalkeeper, a centre back who can lead the team and a defensive, battling midfielder (criminal that he let Diarra go). Its probably Arsene's own stubborness in not wanting certain players that lets him down, but major surgery on that team is not that is required. Lets not forget that last season they were in the title race until march!

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #417 on: October 31, 2008, 09:15:10 am »
Wenger should not be under pressure. Just because the press put Benitez under pressure doesnt mean then that Wenger should get it.

Very true
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline I Like Boobs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: October 31, 2008, 09:30:39 am »
Wenger should not be under pressure.
Years without a trophy. Any manager of a top club should be under pressure.

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #419 on: October 31, 2008, 10:47:20 am »
Years without a trophy. Any manager of a top club should be under pressure.

Exactly.
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: October 31, 2008, 11:48:23 am »
William Gallas has ruled himself out of Arsenals' Premier League clash at Stoke after an angry row with manager Arsene Wenger.

The Arsenal boss furiously turned on Gallas and his central defensive partner Mikael Silvestre after the Gunners threw away a 4-2 lead to draw 4-4 in Wednesday's dramatic clash with Tottenham.

Gallas has claimed he has a hamstring injury, and won't play at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday.

Sources at Arsenal have revealed that there was a furious dressing room bust-up after the derby clash at the Emirates Stadium, with Wenger hitting out at his central defenders and striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1082030/Gallas-claims-hamstring-injury-rules-Stoke-clash.html

:rollseyes
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #421 on: October 31, 2008, 11:55:19 am »
What a load of bollocks.

In comparison to Rafa getting slated for no leagues in 4, it equates pretty much the same...

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #422 on: October 31, 2008, 11:56:22 am »
Wonder when Wenger will start getting some stick about not winning stuff?  Oh year, he is the greatest manager in the world because his kids win the odd game in the champs league group stages and carling cup first round.

Offline Balance

• Spirit Leveled.
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's no "what should be", there is only what is
  • Super Title: Raised by wolves, but taught by Aston Villa
« Reply #423 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:29 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1082030/Gallas-claims-hamstring-injury-rules-Stoke-clash.html

:rollseyes

I'm really glad we didn't get Gallas, if we were ever seriously in for him. He's a great defender but his attitude seems to be terrible. Not the right "mentality" for Benitez at all.
"He's so un-hip that when you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas! Whoever he was...
The man ain't got no culture"

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #424 on: October 31, 2008, 12:07:55 pm »
If Arsenal had a spine of Reina, Carragher and Mascherano, they'd probably win the league. I was watching Lassana Diarra yesterday for Pompey and he was easily their best player. It's criminal that Chelsea and Arsenal didn't give him much playing time as he is comfortably good enough to play for a top four side. In fact, if we didn't have Mascherano, I'd be desperate for his signature.
I am not sure whether having our spine would help Arsenal so much.  They need to add some professionalism to their game.  They probably would have won the title last season with a little professionalism and that must come from both the manager and senior players on the pitch (i.e. Gallas).

I have always rated Diarra.  Thought he had so much potential a couple of years back looks and to be fulfilling it now (think there is a thread somewhere where this has been discussed).

EDIT

Here is the thread

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=206297.0
Anyone with any knowledge of football could see Pires, Ljungberg, Henry, Wiltord, Bergkamp and whoever else is remembered would not have had the same freedom without a fantastic backline and the defensive cover of Patrick Vieira. I think Vieira's days were numbered and selling him might not have been the end of the world for Arsenal, but why didn't they get a proper replacement for him? That's what confuses me as it is clear they are not far off being a fantastic side.

Denilson, Nasri, Rosicky, Van Persie, Walcott, Fabregas, Adebayor etc are all great players, but without someone who'll roll their sleeves up and get stuck in, they won't win a thing.
They have never replaced Vieira and for all his qualities this is Wenger's one major failing.  Vieira was a true leader on the pitch, Arsenal's Roy Keane type figure at the time.  He would pull Arsenal through games.

Oh and I do feel William Gallas has really let Arsenal down in his time there.  Immensely talented defender who has let down his side when they needed him.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:09:56 pm by Hank Scorpio »

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: October 31, 2008, 12:08:40 pm »

He has won numerous trophies with Arsenal and he, like us, is competing with Chelsea and Man Utd, two clubs with vast more resources than Arsenal and ourselves.

He has pretty much created 3 different teams (although he obv had help with the first one). The previous 2 have been successful, while the current one hasnt as yet.

However, it is full of fantastic players, most of whom are all young with bags of potential. If Wenger left now, who wouldnt be excited in taking over his team?

As people have mentioned, they are only short of 3 players. A goalkeeper, a centre back who can lead the team and a defensive, battling midfielder (criminal that he let Diarra go). Its probably Arsene's own stubborness in not wanting certain players that lets him down, but major surgery on that team is not that is required. Lets not forget that last season they were in the title race until march!

I totally disagree.

He should be under pressure and it's precisely because of his stubbornness.  Wenger's successes should be noted but it does not give him a blank cheque for years on end to do whatever he likes.

His team is not going forwards, it's not even standing still, his team is going backwards.  He has lost Flamini and replaced him with nobody causing their midfield to allow every team they come up against acres of space in the midfield. He was too stubborn to replace him, the Arsenal fans will tell you "he had a bid accepted for x,y and z",  the likes of Yaya Toure I disbelieve by the way as he was so good for Barca last season and only the emergence of Busquets this season has put him under pressure, and yet he still refuses to sure up the defensive midfield (why not Appiah who is on a free?).

If I was an Arsenal fan I would be pissed off.  Alot of them are quite deluded, they hide behind their "beautiful football" assuming there is an award given out at the end of the season for the team with the most completed passes, but alot of them realise that Arsenal has now turned into Arsene Wenger's pet project - can I make a team all of my own (which is bollocks by the way as they're not his, it's kids he's pinched from round the world - like Fabregas) and it's coming at the expensive of success.

They've lost this season against Hull and Fulham and they have dropped points against Spurs and Sunderland. Their next 5 matches include:
The Mancs
Villa
Man City
Chelsea

And then 3 matches later they play us.

I think you might start to hear talk of Wenger being moved to a Director of Football, or "reitring" come the end of the season if results don't go their way in this. 
They really are once again in danger of finishing 5th.
If that happens, barring a good Champions league run, Wenger is gone.

Oh and regarding his team of kids, Spurs average age the other night was younger than Arsenal's so sooner or later his myth needs to be shattered.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #426 on: October 31, 2008, 12:23:41 pm »
captain leading by example

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #427 on: October 31, 2008, 12:27:50 pm »
captain leading by example

...and Gallas isnt an example to be followed
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #428 on: October 31, 2008, 12:32:05 pm »
i wonder if Arsene raving about players all the time and never publically dressed them down has helped create the prickness level that seems to be in their squad

Gallas and Fabregas, in recent days if reports are true have both proven themself to be classless plebs

One thing I have always like with our teams in recent years is the team spirit shown, which has a lot to do with us coming back from being behind and winning the big games, at times, when we were maybe not as good a team

Arsenal seem the other way

the attitude affects their performance in a negative way

Those talking about Arsene being under pressure.... what would be considered a failure now for Arsenals season, and what would be considered a season that could result in him losing his job?

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: October 31, 2008, 12:34:06 pm »
Those talking about Arsene being under pressure.... what would be considered a failure now for Arsenals season, and what would be considered a season that could result in him losing his job?
5th and trophyless is a failure and losing his job, but not in a "You're sacked" way.
He'll be given a meaningless title such as Director of Football for Arsenal, or PSG, or some role in the Frech national team, or retire.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #430 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:49 pm »
Gallas seems like one of the biggest c*nts in the premier league

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: October 31, 2008, 01:40:06 pm »
Gallas seems like one of the biggest c*nts in the premier league

i couldn't believe so many people on here praised him for that bullshit about scoring own goals if chelsea didnt sell him. what a c*nt

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: October 31, 2008, 01:56:15 pm »
It's truely bizarre that Wenger still seems to avoid the kind of criticism Benitez often comes in for, despite us sitting top of the table unbeaten (and having beaten United and Chelsea) whilst Arsenal have lost away to Fulham, at home to Hull and have thrown away two points to a woeful Spurs side in the most suicidal display of killing a game I've ever seen.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: October 31, 2008, 04:07:52 pm »
He was too stubborn to replace him, the Arsenal fans will tell you "he had a bid accepted for x,y and z",  the likes of Yaya Toure I disbelieve by the way as he was so good for Barca last season and only the emergence of Busquets this season has put him under pressure, and yet he still refuses to sure up the defensive midfield (why not Appiah who is on a free?).

I believe it because Toure himself said so

Toure reveals Gunners snub
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_4161776,00.html
By Lucas Brown   Last updated: 18th September 2008

Yaya Toure has revealed that Arsene Wenger and his brother Kolo tried to persuade him to join Arsenal in the summer, but he did not want to leave Barcelona. he 25-year-old midfielder was reported to be the subject of interest from the Gunners in the media and now the player himself has revealed that efforts were made to make him move. However, after only one season at Camp Nou, Toure did not want to leave and had to tell both Wenger and his brother that he did not want to go to North London. "Both Wenger and my brother told me in the summer that I should join Arsenal, but I told them that I am very happy at Barcelona," he said on RAC-1 radio. In the Blaugrana's first few games of the season, Toure's chances have been limited, but he understands that he will have to be patient given the level of competition at the club.

Patient
"We cannot play with twelve. I am physically fit, but one must respect the coach's decision," he explained. "I am a professional and if I am not playing that I must be patient for the good of the team. "When you pull on a Barca shirt you are representing one of the biggest clubs in the world and you have to win every game. "The competition is good. We have two very good players for every position and that is crucial when you are playing for the best team in the world. "Now we have to play well and with real spirit. All the players are conscious that this season we have to win something."

i couldn't believe so many people on here praised him for that bullshit about scoring own goals if chelsea didnt sell him. what a c*nt

wasn't that Chelsea alleging, the famously honest Kenyon or Jose said it?

I don't think Arsene will lose his job, the objectives at the moment are to get 4th place and qualify for group stage of CL. Right now we are third and we have a lot going for us over the seasn. Arsene finally has the cash but he needs a Director who can get in the players he wants and for all Ken Friar's efforts, we have clearly not had that happen. The board are also patient with him, hopefully the next window we can get in the dm we need and we are not that far off, our attack is doing very well and it is a case of fixing one or two things defensively. I think Arsene will either promoted Fabianski or bring in a keeper in the summer for Almunia

Add a dm in January and we will be fine for this season.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:09:53 pm by MagicHat »

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: October 31, 2008, 04:25:45 pm »
I believe it because Toure himself said so
Where does that say a bid was accepted?

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #435 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:48 pm »
Amazed that no one ever puts a goalscoring midfielder down in the list of players Arsenal need. Rosicky is the Czech Kewell, Nasri's had one season where he's managed more than 5 goals, Walcott only scored his first league goal at the Library Nou this month and Fabregas has had one purple patch in his entire career.

Pires and Ljungberg were worth 25 goals between themselves, that's almost as much as their entire current midfield have managed in their careers.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:52 pm »
Why would we talk to a player who we had no right to do so? I could imagine quite a reaction by Barca towards Toure if we had done that

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: October 31, 2008, 04:31:03 pm »
Why would we talk to a player who we had no right to do so? I could imagine quite a reaction by Barca towards Toure if we had done that
When you've got his brother at your club it's easy.
Mediate through him.

Premier League club in tapping up shocker?

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: October 31, 2008, 04:34:45 pm »
Kolo Toure yes I can see that one, not uncommon at internal breaks either I imagine. Arsene Wenger on the other hand would have no right to do so

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #439 on: October 31, 2008, 04:34:49 pm »
When you've got his brother at your club it's easy.
Mediate through him.

Premier League club in tapping up shocker?

its all speculation it doesnt really go on ;)