Author Topic: Any vinyl junkies out there....?  (Read 72696 times)

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: Any vinyl junkies out there....?
« Reply #240 on: April 15, 2017, 09:13:42 am »
There's 3 or 4 records I want but I've just moved to Kingston and people always queue outside Banquet Records from about 9pm the night before so I don't know if I can be arsed with it. The prices are a joke as well

Same with my shop too - people started queueing at 6pm last year and mate left his house at 3 AM and was 200th in the queue.

Pointless.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: April 15, 2017, 11:36:33 am »
Record Store Day actually stops loads of new interesting vinyl being pressed due to the massive backlog of reissues and "special editions". I'd generally rather hear the new stuff.

Offline Lager

• Main Stander
« Reply #242 on: April 15, 2017, 12:13:52 pm »
I've just had a look and the three records I want will cost just shy of 70 quid, load of bollocks.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #243 on: April 15, 2017, 02:33:20 pm »
Record Store Day actually stops loads of new interesting vinyl being pressed due to the massive backlog of reissues and "special editions". I'd generally rather hear the new stuff.

Not entirely true considering there are more plants are around to press records.

Plus the smaller labels will know about it and plan accordingly.

RSD is a good idea in concept but gets ruined but novelty releases and touts.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2017, 03:08:48 pm »

Not entirely true considering there are more plants are around to press records.

Plus the smaller labels will know about it and plan accordingly.

RSD is a good idea in concept but gets ruined but novelty releases and touts.

I disagree with most of that apart from the last sentence which is spot on.

The Quietus from a couple of years ago

http://thequietus.com/articles/15031-record-store-day-2014-problems-distribution-vinyl

Flavorwire

http://flavorwire.com/514623/what-most-music-fans-dont-realize-about-record-store-day

Factmag

http://www.factmag.com/2015/04/14/record-store-day-problem-or-solution/

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2017, 03:21:41 pm »
Anything that puts beer and free bands where there isn't normally beer and free bands can only be a good thing indeed!

Surely people aren't still scared of record shops though? Pete Burns hasn't worked in Probe for time.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2017, 04:22:59 pm »

I disagree with most of that apart from the last sentence which is spot on.

The Quietus from a couple of years ago

http://thequietus.com/articles/15031-record-store-day-2014-problems-distribution-vinyl

Flavorwire

http://flavorwire.com/514623/what-most-music-fans-dont-realize-about-record-store-day

Factmag

http://www.factmag.com/2015/04/14/record-store-day-problem-or-solution/

They are old articles.

Was speaking to Bella Union about it and they said it is not as bad before.

However, the pricing is a fucking joke.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2017, 04:30:54 pm »
There's over 500 releases this year.

Two of them are Cocteau Twins rereleases that Simon Raymonde (of Bella Union) knew nothing about.

http://www.factmag.com/2017/03/23/cocteau-twins-simon-raymonde-record-store-day-reissues/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:34:26 pm by cloggypop »

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2017, 06:31:35 pm »
There's over 500 releases this year.

Two of them are Cocteau Twins rereleases that Simon Raymonde (of Bella Union) knew nothing about.

http://www.factmag.com/2017/03/23/cocteau-twins-simon-raymonde-record-store-day-reissues/

That is dreadful.

I think I am going down later in the day rather than queueing.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2017, 06:49:28 pm »
You can always buy anything you miss on Ebay for 3 times the price!

Enjoy Sea Power.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2017, 07:42:27 pm »
You can always buy anything you miss on Ebay for 3 times the price!

Enjoy Sea Power.

Or buy when it is released normally in two months

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2017, 10:02:40 pm »
There's a few places in Liverpool doing it this year, not seen anything specific I want this year so probably turn up in the afternoon to see what's left.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2017, 02:59:35 pm »
Looking to get back into vinyl after my record player broke last year thanks to a family party.
The one I had was fairly basic & i'm now looking for a slight upgrade, what do you guys think of this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRURRR3/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3MCD5G5F0X89T&coliid=I3VHG8RVBEIIO8

Or should I set my sights elsewhere? Most I can roughly afford for one at this time is around the £150 mark so any help would be appreciated.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »
If you can stretch another £30, or can get a discount this is a champion for the price and will see you right for ages:

https://www.whathifi.com/pro-ject/primary/review

Go for the Project or save and wait as it is a beauty.

What speakers and amp you got?

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2017, 12:28:43 pm »
Looking to get back into vinyl after my record player broke last year thanks to a family party.
The one I had was fairly basic & i'm now looking for a slight upgrade, what do you guys think of this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRURRR3/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3MCD5G5F0X89T&coliid=I3VHG8RVBEIIO8

Or should I set my sights elsewhere? Most I can roughly afford for one at this time is around the £150 mark so any help would be appreciated.

I bought one of these in Silver for £99.99, think it was on offer at the time. Definitely worth it for the casual user, has a prebuilt pre amp so can just plug my speakers in with no messing about.

Obviously you get what you pay for but for the price I think it gives a decent sound.

Offline Lager

• Main Stander
« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2017, 02:42:46 pm »

You'll be hard pressed to do better than this for £150 mate

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pro-ject-essential-2-turntable-149-richersounds-vip-only-store-telesales-only-2669488

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2017, 05:13:43 pm »
Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye is getting a vinyl Record Store Day release. Worth keeping an eye out for for any Roky Erickson fans. I've got the original release but this has 3 extra tracks that didn't make it last time.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2017-04-21/record-store-day-unearths-a-roky-erickson-rarity/

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2017, 04:44:22 pm »
J Spaceman and Sonic Boom have come out asking people not to buy the reissues of the Spacemen 3 albums as its their former manager basically ripping them off as they don't own the rights.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2017, 04:46:45 pm »
J Spaceman and Sonic Boom have come out asking people not to buy the reissues of the Spacemen 3 albums as its their former manager basically ripping them off as they don't own the rights.
Saw that - it will still sell out

What you after mate?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2017, 04:55:47 pm »
First thing they've agreed on in years!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2017, 04:57:35 pm »
Saw that - it will still sell out

What you after mate?

I'm barred this year, I've spent too much on vinyl already.

I really wanted the 'loser edition' of the French Press EP by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever but I think it was already released and seems to be sold out everywhere.

Looking at the RSD releases, I'd be tempted by Vic Chestnutt, the Sun Records compilation, probably loads more, I'd best not look too hard ;D

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2017, 06:35:43 pm »
I'm barred this year, I've spent too much on vinyl already.

I really wanted the 'loser edition' of the French Press EP by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever but I think it was already released and seems to be sold out everywhere.

Looking at the RSD releases, I'd be tempted by Vic Chestnutt, the Sun Records compilation, probably loads more, I'd best not look too hard ;D

Happy to pick anything up for you dude

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:52 pm »
I've never been to a RSD event. Living in a village is probably one reason I know, but when it started up it I was an urbanite and it seemed like a pretty good idea to me - supporting independent record shops etc... where do I sign? There used to be one record shop in my home town called Spinadisc, and it was a very good shop. Friends used to travel up and down to stay with me, with one eye on being able to spend an afternoon record shopping (late 80's/early 90's). I moved away, and returned a good few years later and it had become two stories of CD's, with only half a floor of vinyl, and not very interesting either. It dwindled further and further until vinyl all but disappeared completely. It folded soon after.

In its hey day, it was rammed floor to ceiling. Posters on the wall, graffiti, 7"'s, signed LP's on the walls etc... fag butts on the floor, the smell of beer, grumpy 'too cool for school' shop assistants. Racks of vinyl with categories you didn't know anything about, and categories you did... categories you were only just discovering and finding out about and categories that you simply passed by. Most towns had a record shop just like it, cities had a few more. Fast forward tho, and that had been replaced by a clean, almost sterile shopping experience where the R.E.M section of CD's appeared vast, but was in fact filled with 8 copies of each album. Those slightly more obscure names had dissappeared almost completely. Some of the joy had gone. Still... at least the shop was vaccumed.

So I was behind RSD all the way. To me, it was about supporting the outer edges of music a bit more - the homemade, truly independent stuff. It was anti corporate without making any kind of statement as such about corporations, it was just that some were actually starving! ;D  Come and support music, and let's give a hand to those actually out there trying to make this stuff. But it's miffed off a HELL of a lot of people. There's this whole tedious fucking debate about vinyl v CD thing to contend with too. OH FUCKING YAWN YOU GAYLORDS. Vinyl is sex? CD's are infinitely better sound quality wise so shut up?  :boring

Why would anyone want to queue? That's my only gripe. Sorry, but I'm not queuing. Ugh.

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon 2M Red Piano something. Had it for three years in a box... mint condition. Think it cost me £180. They say it's the bozboz for the bracket... some other suckers in here it seems ;D It's gonna sound good to me.

My brother used to be a sound recordist for the BBC. He knows his analogues and his digitals. His 'stuff' is in nearly every format imaginable. Film too. I remember once when I was 19/20 - (he's 16? years older than me), when I started talking about vinyl with him, and he put on a whining sarcastic Python-esque old age pensioner voice wagging his finger at me 'well you do know that cd's are better audio quality don't you?' Sums it up for me.

Keep it coming tho ;D

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:31:06 pm by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2017, 11:30:40 pm »
I also understand that tomorrow is also 'International Earth Day'. My wife tells me that we're all supposed to spend the day in total darkness and switch off our phones and computers. Oh OK. Sounds a bit militant but er... Earth Day? Yep. Now I don't believe for one moment that Earth Day would be in any way shape or form some sort of militant regime, this'll be a tabloid spin that she's heard (and understood to be), but found that ironic nonetheless.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:37:51 pm by Filler. »

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2017, 01:51:30 pm »
Working today so can't have a browse. In general will there be much left tomorrow or will most stocks go today?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »
@jonnytrunk: 11:45am, over 1700 Record Store Day 2017 releases already on eBay UK, over 750 already listed and sold.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2017, 04:14:43 pm »
I have been and got all I wanted.

Got up at 4.15 AM!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2017, 08:26:31 pm »
@jonnytrunk: 11:45am, over 1700 Record Store Day 2017 releases already on eBay UK, over 750 already listed and sold.

Jesus! Scalpers move fast. Oily Bastards!

I have been and got all I wanted.

Got up at 4.15 AM!

Go on, what did you get?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:44 pm »

Go on, what did you get?

Evan Dando
Lou Reed
Iggy Pop
David Bowie - Cracked Actor
Morby single
Midlake debut - signed by Tim Smith
War On Drugs
Felice Brothers

I went mental but have redundancy money still so got to enjoy life :-)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2017, 11:05:34 pm »
With some mirth I had to drop off some stuff at a charity shop today, and spotted two cases of vinyl. Ah... RSD I thought. They are now taking the piss with their prices ;D Felt like Tony Handcock... FIVE POUNDS!? There was one record that was £15! Should be a law against it.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2017, 08:39:07 pm »
Just sorting my vinyls for a house move...going through them keep on coming across stuff i forgot I had...like I didnt realise I had White Stripes Elephant and Ive never played it....long forgotton Lp's that I wish I could put on straight away..so I decided to opt for one group whilst sorting ...The Room/Benny Profane...what a great group, why wern't they bigger?

anyhoo!... just sorting records and havent bought any boxes yet... seen stuff on line but perefer a recommendation?
Not moving them myself have movers doing it but want them boxed well.

Come across these handsome dudes too!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:55:41 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2017, 11:59:55 pm »
Come across these handsome dudes too!

Damn. Not on Spotify. ;D Everyone loves a Premi, let's face it.

Gone are the days sadly of going to charity shops and buying the daftest cover you can find for a quid for a mate's birthday sadly. Found and received some crackers - one find was on that 'worst covers' site that still exists I think. I have a great Tom O'Conner LP with a signed postcard insert for £1.

Am building my shelf for my vinyl soon. Finally, it's been agreed. Shit me, she's a tough nut to crack. It's only 3 metres of vinyl. In my head it's a vast cave, - 3 metres is pathetic, but with 6 years of not listening to my records  behind me now - with dozens not on YouTube or Spotify, even if it is only 7 boxes in a house where there's no room for them, and living with a wife who likes things very simple and clean in her design mode + having kids and the amount of utter shite that gets collected and with their grubby little fingers everywhere, has forced me to go skywards. I also like things clean and crisp too, which doesn't help. If I was more monstrous, I'd have sorted this shit out earlier. But just hasn't worked out like that.

The whole family is getting booted out the house for a summer long splurge on the house soon. Am laying a new floor, plastering (which I can now do myself - £80/day level I reckon - beautifully flat, if a bit slow), RSJ for the records - other bits. Took a year to get to this stage. When that's done... am on the case for an amp. And finally... FINALLY, somewhere to play some records. Next year Rodney.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2017, 09:43:29 am »
Damn. Not on Spotify. ;D Everyone loves a Premi, let's face it.

Its Bhangra...bought this circa '87 when I moved away from guitar music and was listening to mostly, Reggae/Dub, electronic/dance and what would become 'World Music' ...but I just knew it as ace weird shit....think I heared some tracks on Peel....pissed myself when saw sleeve!

Am building my shelf for my vinyl soon. Finally, it's been agreed. Shit me, she's a tough nut to crack. It's only 3 metres of vinyl. In my head it's a vast cave, - 3 metres is pathetic, but with 6 years of not listening to my records  behind me now - with dozens not on YouTube or Spotify, even if it is only 7 boxes in a house where there's no room for them, and living with a wife who likes things very simple and clean in her design mode + having kids and the amount of utter shite that gets collected and with their grubby little fingers everywhere, has forced me to go skywards. I also like things clean and crisp too, which doesn't help. If I was more monstrous, I'd have sorted this shit out earlier. But just hasn't worked out like that.

The whole family is getting booted out the house for a summer long splurge on the house soon. Am laying a new floor, plastering (which I can now do myself - £80/day level I reckon - beautifully flat, if a bit slow), RSJ for the records - other bits. Took a year to get to this stage. When that's done... am on the case for an amp. And finally... FINALLY, somewhere to play some records. Next year Rodney.

I recall moving into our large semi 10 years ago with great plans for a music room...sadly never got off the ground...me , lad and missus moving to Amsterdam into an apartment so space management gonna be difficult...but my records are the one priority in all my stuff...saying that they are time locked as a colection sort of 1977 to 1990....and I dont listen to them often as a I should....that needs to change, so much great stuff Ive not listend too in years.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:35:26 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2017, 09:58:01 am »
My records have been in storage since December. Shipped over from Oz now they're somewhere in Walsall. Missing them :(.

Record store was good here. Picked up The War On Drugs and Dennis Wilson's 'Bambu'.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
im in London next weekend for the first time in years, got any record stores to recommend ?  :lickin

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2017, 10:49:18 am »
What's the appeal of vinyl?

The wife said the other day she's surprised I'm not massive into vinyl - but I don't get it - what is the appeal?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: June 1, 2017, 09:30:05 pm »
What's the appeal of vinyl?

The wife said the other day she's surprised I'm not massive into vinyl - but I don't get it - what is the appeal?

I've always wondered that myself. I buy vinyl over CD's and always have. I bought vinyl over tapes before that as everyone did. I also bought tapes and CD's along the way (still do occassionally), but I just prefer the vinyl.

It's probably the connection with my youth as much as anything else. Plus there's a connection with history perhaps. I still can't quite put my finger on why vinyl gets my tongue dangling in the way that CD's never could tho. It's multi-faceted. They seem to last longer too!

If anyone finds themself in Winchester by mistake... well worth checking out Elephant Records. Was in there very briefly today - mostly new stuff. Was with the kids so couldn't have a good browse, but some lovely stuff in there.

Online markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #278 on: June 2, 2017, 08:58:25 pm »

anyhoo!... just sorting records and havent bought any boxes yet... seen stuff on line but perefer a recommendation?
Not moving them myself have movers doing it but want them boxed well.

depends how much you are prepared to spend, but at just under £20 each these hold 50, and can be stored 5 high no problem if needed. The 70 litre crates I use at the moment are backbreakers. The advantage is that you can bulk order a big load from time to time and get 20% off, or look for deals on them from different suppliers across the net.
http://www.houseofbath.co.uk/shop/really-useful-storage-boxes-lp-box/pz469/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=6693#colour:,size:
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2017, 04:29:48 pm »
All my vinyl arrived safely..now for stage 2!

Anyone who can advise on  turntable and speakers. Im ditching my ION turntable and want a stand alone table with wi fi speakers. As well as new stuff Im gonna be playing lots of vinyl from the seventies and eighties which will include lots of scratches and hisses ( the sound of life) so Im not lookign top end.

I have noted the Audio Technica ATLP120USB USB Turntable  gets good reviews but hopefully some nerd...sorry, 'pasionate expert' on RAWk will guide me on choice.