Author Topic: Animal Rights Activists  (Read 11015 times)

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
Animal Rights Activists
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:40:02 pm »
Fighting the good fight or obsessive fundemental cretins?

Bit on the news now about a farm growing guinea pigs for medical research having to close because of a sustained terror campaign including threats against the family, vandalism and even digging up the grave of the guys mother.

Not a fan of animal testing myself but the spokesman for the group was a twat, comparing the farm and it's activities to the holocaust.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Animal Rights Activists
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 10:45:50 pm »
Hopefully the people who dug up the grave will die slow agonising deaths, preferably knowing that drugs tested on animals could have saved them.

Twats  :wanker

The rest of them are all pretty weird to.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 10:46:37 pm »
If it wasn't for animal testing we wouldn't be as developed as we are. We are animals and we feed off of other animals in whatever way shape or form necessary to ensure survival.

These ironic pricks with signs held high probably use countless products daily that wouldnt have been so if not for animal testing.

Survival of the fitest, guinea pigs are little ugly furballs.  :P
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline ThingOnASpring

• Legacy Fan
  • Young man! There's no need to feel down.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:51:26 pm »
I wouldn't say that the campaign against animal testing is necessarily a bad one, and I daresay that the industry could perhaps do with more investigation and regulation to ensure that everything they do is necessary. However, when the campaign moves onto the level of violence, and in at least one case desecration, then I think it destroys the credibility of the campaigners.
Done through legitimate channels, then I have no objection, but some of the stunts that have been pulled are sickening.
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Offline Baz1LFC

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 10:51:30 pm »
Did you see that prick comparing the culling of 800 Guinea Pigs to the Holocaust. What a gang of weirdos.

Offline chipbuttie

• Kopite
  • 5 times....... 'tis true
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 11:07:31 pm »
If animal testing was not absolutely necessary, believe me, the pharmaceutical companies that conduct the tests wouldn't do it. The cost of housing, animal husbandry, and the regulatory requirements are astronomical.

I worked for a company developing software for animal labs and we were even targeted. Though they have a case in promoting the development of new, safe, alternative forms of testing, animal right campaigners are largely ignorant, misguided pricks. What will they force to close down next?

We should all put pressure on the pharma companies to find alternatives to testing through the government, but at the same time string these terrorists up by the bollocks/tits  :wanker

Pheeny

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 11:25:15 pm »
To compair it to the Holocaust is sick but testing on animals is also sick!

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 01:09:55 am »
The remains have been 'missing' since last October. She had been dead 7 years.

Bunch of sicko's who did this.

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 02:08:00 am »
Fighting the good fight or obsessive fundemental cretins?

Bit on the news now about a farm growing guinea pigs for medical research having to close because of a sustained terror campaign including threats against the family, vandalism and even digging up the grave of the guys mother.

Not a fan of animal testing myself but the spokesman for the group was a twat, comparing the farm and it's activities to the holocaust.

The latter in many cases

Not a massive fan of cosmetic testing despite that, but at the end of the day animal testing is often necessary

Some of these people take protest to extremes...threatening people for allegedly harming animals...with harm! Cant see the logic in that really ::)

Offline harmar

• Red Red Wine....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 02:09:30 am »
Hopefully the people who dug up the grave will die slow agonising deaths, preferably knowing that drugs tested on animals could have saved them.

Twats  :wanker

The rest of them are all pretty weird to.

Here, Here.
"To be prepared is half the victory"   Miguel Cervantes

Offline NYkopite

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 02:48:57 am »
If animal testing was not absolutely necessary, believe me, the pharmaceutical companies that conduct the tests wouldn't do it. The cost of housing, animal husbandry, and the regulatory requirements are astronomical.

I worked for a company developing software for animal labs and we were even targeted. Though they have a case in promoting the development of new, safe, alternative forms of testing, animal right campaigners are largely ignorant, misguided pricks. What will they force to close down next?

We should all put pressure on the pharma companies to find alternatives to testing through the government, but at the same time string these terrorists up by the bollocks/tits  :wanker

I've worked for drug companies and in academic research, and nobody, absolutely nobody I've met wants to do animal testing. Pharma companies especially, as was pointed out due to costs.

It's the government run regulatory agencies (not pharma companies) in all countires that require safety studies in animals before you can even think about giving a new drug to a human. Many potential drugs get binned immediately, because animal testing demonstrates they are unsafe.

Look what happened when Thalidomide got through without anyone finding out the dangers associated with it (there are now more stringent animal studies that are carried out nowadays so something like that doesn't happen again).

Unfortunately the choice is to test on a guinea pig, or on your loved ones. If people object to animal testing, then they have the right not to take ANY drugs, or undergo ANY kind of medical procedure that has been tested on an animal.

Offline Hudson66

• The Kia Ora Man - too orangely for RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 03:02:56 am »
Maybe the animal rights activists may offer their services to the future of medical research by offering up their own bodies. Pump some unknown drugs into them see what happens. They save the animals medical research conitues. If something goes wrong....Oh well they died to save the guinea pigs. I think its madness that these people will  endanger humans (who in many cases are doing a job for the benefit of others) to save an animal.

I also want to add that i see testing for 'medical' purposes to be necessary. For new fangled no smudge masscare (spelling?) i do not.

Offline Dug

• Graham Norton's favourite rent boy
  • Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
    • Reds-in-america.com
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 03:10:33 am »
Animal rights activists / vegetarians ......
As a mate of mine once said,

Fly 'em over the deepest darkest part of the Amazon rain forest (what's left of it), parachute them out totally unarmed and guess how long it would take them to figure out they've suddenly become part of the food chain, and they're nowhere near the top.
It's them or us ;)

Seriously, digging up the woman ..... you've got to be mentally fuckin unstable to do that type of shit.

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 03:13:50 am »
Save the little 'fluffballs' and experiment on paedophiles, rapists & grave-robbers instead.
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 03:40:30 am »
Save the little 'fluffballs' and experiment on paedophiles, rapists & grave-robbers instead.

not a bad idea!

Offline Eric

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 03:11:37 pm »
I would be all for the testing if it really did anything.  They haven't cured shit since polio, and the testing is used to make medicines that cure symptoms, not disease.  This way they make more money because people become dependent.

If it's not medicine it's for cosmetics which is stupid.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 03:17:11 pm »
Ever eaten guinea pig ?

these things only exist in their present form because they were one of the few domestic animals in the early andean societies. still a staple diet in Peru, where I tried it a couple of times. Tasty cross between chicken & rabbit.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 04:42:25 pm »
Thing is about this guinea pig farm being closed - do the soap dodging dreadlocked weirdos think it will 'save' the fluffy little shits living there? The ones they can't flog to Peru for kebabs will get gassed and buried in a ditch somewhere. The things only exist because the farm was breeding them - now they'll just never be born at all.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Satiric Gibbon

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 04:45:18 pm »
Save the little 'fluffballs' and experiment on paedophiles, rapists, murderers, squaddies & grave-robbers instead.

I agree

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 05:23:55 pm »
I can't see the difference meself from harming a fluffy animal and harming the bereaved!

Soft c*nts - fighting fire with fire doesn't work la
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 05:31:46 pm »
why is it anyway that people will work themselves all the way to grave robbing frenzy over guinea pigs and yet do nothing about grinding poverty for huge segments of the human population?

nutters the lot.
more lurking than posting

Offline Andy J

• Wanted One Custom Title!
  • Kopite
  • Free Michael Sheilds
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 05:56:37 pm »
These people seem to think animal testing is unnessasary irrelevant. They also propose that the results attained from such testing has no validity when generalized to humans.

What the fucking thick c*nts dont seem to realise is, its done because it DOES give the best results and fucking scientists and researchers wouldnt be wasting there fucking time if it didnt.

I also wonder how many of these people eat meat.

In fact, noone can complain about animal rights if they are not a totally extreme vegan. The easiest way to shut up a fool when talking animal rights is with this point. These people have a total lack of integrity.

Its like the fucking text petitions that go around here in wales opposing TETRA masts.
I fucking love Liverpool

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 10:18:31 am »
Three in court in body theft case 

Three men are due in court charged with conspiring to blackmail the family of a woman whose grave was desecrated.

The body of Gladys Hammond, 82, was stolen from St Peter's churchyard in Yoxall, Staffs, in October last year...

Mrs Hammond's body was taken from her grave in St Peter's churchyard in Yoxall on 6 or 7 October 2004, seven years after she was buried there.

Her remains have still not been recovered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/4285488.stm

Offline Bandy

• Kopite
  • Linux Based Fun.
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 01:10:41 pm »
If these Animal Rights protestors actually meant any good and weren't just a shower of ignorant, horrible tossers they would sign their rights away and let the companies do their tests on them, thus:

1. Saving all the nice fluffy animals
2. Giving medicine the chance to fully test on humans first which is more useful anyway

And it was all going so well

Offline PiranhaBill

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005, 02:55:16 pm »
These people seem to think animal testing is unnessasary irrelevant. They also propose that the results attained from such testing has no validity when generalized to humans.

What the fucking thick c*nts dont seem to realise is, its done because it DOES give the best results and fucking scientists and researchers wouldnt be wasting there fucking time if it didnt.

If these people are so thick because animal testing does give the best results, would you mind enlightening us all on what drugs there are out there today that save human life and wouldn't  do so if they were not tested on animals....tick tock tick tock.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2005, 03:02:46 pm »
Just had a bacon sarnie brown sauce it was fuckin sound
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2005, 03:05:59 pm »
that is the worst worded question i have ever seen!

i can even work out what question you want answered ... tick?

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2005, 03:06:38 pm »
If these Animal Rights protestors actually meant any good and weren't just a shower of ignorant, horrible tossers they would sign their rights away and let the companies do their tests on them, thus:

1. Saving all the nice fluffy animals
2. Giving medicine the chance to fully test on humans first which is more useful anyway

Actually Bandy.  Many years ago, in the "smoking beadles" furore.  Lady (Whatever) said she'd be delighted.  And they said "Erm ......No.  Ta.  We'll have the beadles".  And that experiment was foul and disgusting.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline PiranhaBill

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2005, 03:08:16 pm »
that is the worst worded question i have ever seen!

i can even work out what question you want answered ... tick?

Ah the shithouse tactic. I'll put it in simpler terms for simpler folk..... Name. A. Life. Saving. drug. That. Exists. Because. Of. Animal. Testing.

Offline Bandy

• Kopite
  • Linux Based Fun.
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2005, 03:12:39 pm »
Actually Bandy.  Many years ago, in the "smoking beadles" furore.  Lady (Whatever) said she'd be delighted.  And they said "Erm ......No.  Ta.  We'll have the beadles".  And that experiment was foul and disgusting.

They got some great stuff with the coupons though

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2005, 03:16:02 pm »
no not at all, i am neither here nor there on this issue, i just thought you phrased your question very badly.

Presumably the answer to your question is actually "quite a few" as they wouldnt be let loose on people without the preliminary animal testing? I claim to know nothing about this and care less so please dont flame me as a shithouse.

Offline Bandy

• Kopite
  • Linux Based Fun.
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
The most important question would be how many drugs are out there that save people's lives or make people lives much better that weren't at one stage used in Animal Testing.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2005, 03:23:41 pm »
If these people are so thick because animal testing does give the best results, would you mind enlightening us all on what drugs there are out there today that save human life and wouldn't  do so if they were not tested on animals....tick tock tick tock.

I'm keeping well out of this debate, although I would point out that British law requires all drugs to be tested on at least 2 animals, one of which must (it seems) be a large rodent. Since this law has been in place for years, it is reasonable to assume that any vaccine for polio, reubella, TB, smallpox, etc has been tested on animals.

As I say, I'm keeping out of this. I'm sure you've a well-rehearsed argument to contradict my response.

Offline PiranhaBill

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2005, 03:24:07 pm »
no not at all, i am neither here nor there on this issue, i just thought you phrased your question very badly.

Presumably the answer to your question is actually "quite a few" as they wouldnt be let loose on people without the preliminary animal testing? I claim to know nothing about this and care less so please dont flame me as a shithouse.

Apologies for the shithouse line.

The question was aimed at another poster who said people who protest about animal testing are thick then went on to say that animal testing gives the best results..... it doesn't.

You couldn't care less I know, but I'll furnish you with a recent example. Some clever blokes have managed to recreate Down's syndrome in mice. They've taken 90% of the gemes responsible and put them into mice.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4268226.stm

What for? Not vbecause it will cure anything, not because it will help anybody... but because, shit they are clever enough too. The one teeny tiny flaw in their theory..... we aren't f*****g mice !!! Simple really.

Offline Bandy

• Kopite
  • Linux Based Fun.
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2005, 03:24:46 pm »

The problem was that he tested his question on ducks first - and they gave it the bills up

Offline PiranhaBill

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2005, 03:27:33 pm »
I'm keeping well out of this debate, although I would point out that British law requires all drugs to be tested on at least 2 animals, one of which must (it seems) be a large rodent. Since this law has been in place for years, it is reasonable to assume that any vaccine for polio, reubella, TB, smallpox, etc has been tested on animals.

As I say, I'm keeping out of this. I'm sure you've a well-rehearsed argument to contradict my response.

Not well rehearsed at all. The reason for that law is because of people will sue the arse off a company if they get side affects to a drug. So, the company test it on a poodle so they can say "not our fault mate we tested it and it was fine on the poodle". They can then blame the user for a fault in their own body reacting with the drug and causeing the side affect.... Therefore saving a ton of money - which is the ONLY reason drugs are tested on animals - to save the cost of future law suits.

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2005, 03:36:28 pm »
now isnt the argument that actually we are genetically 90% odd the same as rodents and therefore that they are an indicator of a treatments effectiveness and or problems.

So to give a mouse Downs, they are actually confirming that they have identified the genes correctly that give rise to Downs in humans. In turn i suppose they think this will help in future treatment of Downs in humans. I guess i see the logic of this. You would stop this because of perceived cruelty to a mouse. I dont think I would.

Vive le difference!

Offline Bandy

• Kopite
  • Linux Based Fun.
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2005, 03:38:34 pm »
Another big questions is - "Are the mice intelligent enough to be arsed"?

Offline PiranhaBill

• Main Stander
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2005, 03:40:34 pm »
now isnt the argument that actually we are genetically 90% odd the same as rodents and therefore that they are an indicator of a treatments effectiveness and or problems.

So to give a mouse Downs, they are actually confirming that they have identified the genes correctly that give rise to Downs in humans. In turn i suppose they think this will help in future treatment of Downs in humans. I guess i see the logic of this. You would stop this because of perceived cruelty to a mouse. I dont think I would.

Vive le difference!

Vive le difference indeed but when you've only managed to put 90% of a gene into something that is 90% the same as you, then your starting point is 81% accuracy... assuming nothing else goes wrong! Yes, carry on, it's balls on guaranteed to work.

Offline Bandy

• Kopite
  • Linux Based Fun.
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2005, 03:41:30 pm »
Vive le difference indeed but when you've only managed to put 90% of a gene into something that is 90% the same as you, then your starting point is 81% accuracy... assuming nothing else goes wrong! Yes, carry on, it's balls on guaranteed to work.

So what, exactly do you propose? Stop all testing on animals and stop all production of any more drugs that might help humanity?