Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 506877 times)

Online whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2024, 11:33:36 am »
I can only see Alonso and I actually hope it is him as he'll get pretty much full backing from the fans too. Plus given time and resources to mould his team.
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2024, 11:34:02 am »
The other thing about Xabi is, he could grow with the team. He is my number one choice but that's not to say others shouldn't be looked at. The coach at Sporting Lisbon Rúben Amorim is overperforming against richer opposition in Portugal as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2024, 11:35:46 am »
Gotta be Xabi for me, not sure why sentiment keeps getting talked about with him, maybe a tiny bit of it but he's one of the outstanding candidates even if you ignore his playing history, look on any teams forum who want a new manager like Utd and he's the one everyone wants.

Do think De Zerbi has had a lot of unfair stuff written about him on here over the last day or so though, I'd be very happy with him if we couldn't get Xabi, he's been a fascinating coach long before he even turned up at Brighton. Feels like it's assumed he's another Potter when they aren't really that alike in playing style and definitely not personality wise. If we don't get him hopefully he doesn't end up in Manchester.

De Zerbi and Potter are light years apart. Potter can't get his teams to score goals, whilst De Zerbi can't get his teams to stop conceding them (other than ironically their last game, which was their first clean sheet at home for like a year).

I'd be content with De Zerbi because we have Van Dijk and Alisson. I'd throw myself off a building with Potter.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2024, 11:37:13 am »
Gotta be Xabi for me, not sure why sentiment keeps getting talked about with him, maybe a tiny bit of it but he's one of the outstanding candidates even if you ignore his playing history, look on any teams forum who want a new manager like Utd and he's the one everyone wants.

Do think De Zerbi has had a lot of unfair stuff written about him on here over the last day or so though, I'd be very happy with him if we couldn't get Xabi, he's been a fascinating coach long before he even turned up at Brighton. Feels like it's assumed he's another Potter when they aren't really that alike in playing style and definitely not personality wise. If we don't get him hopefully he doesn't end up in Manchester.

That's the shame, because people have set their hearts on Alonso there appears to be this need of rubbishing the other candidates, rather than people having an open debate about different coaches. None of them, even Xabi are a like for like replacement for Klopp as there isn't one. So everyone is going to have both good and negative points but people should be a bit more open minded about considering other candidates. At the end of the day the owners will decide, not us.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2024, 11:39:19 am »
I think it will be Xabi Alonso or De Zerbi.

I hope Alonso gets the job, and think he’ll be the club’s preferred candidate, but I’d be happy with De Zerbi. For me, they’re the two obvious standouts of the names that have been, and will be, linked with the job.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2024, 11:39:40 am »
Xabi is the only one that makes sense. It's pretty obvious that there needs to be an emotional connection between manager and fans of this club, and I think FSG get that and will do what's right here.

He's the only one we will give the time to, and he has a really good platform to do well. Anyone else after Jurgen will be on a hiding to nothing not only from the performance levels, but also trying to integrate themselves into the hearts of the fans.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2024, 11:42:49 am »
thinking he might bring Kylian in his carry-on? I could get on board with that ;D

Fine by me ;D

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2024, 11:46:06 am »
I imagine we will want to move quickly as Utd will be after a manager soon.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2024, 11:47:23 am »
Alonso has been a senior team manager for 18 months and the clamour for him is as if he's won everything over a 20 year period

We are being far too emotional, will get us into all sorts of bother that. United did it with Solksjaer
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2024, 11:48:38 am »
Like most people, Alonso is far and away my number one choice. He feels like, at the minute, the only one who doesn't fill me with overwhelming pessimism.

As of right now, nobody else excites me. The likes of De Zerbi, Frank or Nagelsmann could all theoretically be successful, but 9 years of Klopp not only succeeding on the football pitch but cultivating a proper emotional relationship with the fans and the city leaves me feeling a bit cold to all 3 of them.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2024, 11:50:13 am »
I'm hoping we get Alonso.  He's been really smart with the start of his management career staying at Real Sociedad B for 3 seasons learning the trade before making the jump to 1st team manager at Leverkusen where he has been great.  Maybe one additional year there would have been the best case scenario for him but, the best case scenario rarely happens so I really think we need to make him the top choice for our next manager.   

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2024, 11:50:56 am »
It's Xabi Alonso. I just hope we get the right DOF and structure in for him to work with.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2024, 11:52:36 am »
Alonso has been a senior team manager for 18 months and the clamour for him is as if he's won everything over a 20 year period

We are being far too emotional, will get us into all sorts of bother that. United did it with Solksjaer

There are really no other outstanding candidates out there right now.  There are a lot of managers just under that "elite" level that we'll be looking at but nobody that really stands out.  Alonso is actually in his 5th years as manager as he spent 3 years managing Real Sociedad B team.  Yes, it would be ideal if he had another year or two at Leverkusen but that's not the case. 

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2024, 11:52:55 am »
It's Xabi Alonso. I just hope we get the right DOF and structure in for him to work with.

If it is we have months for chats and approval (DOF?) for people put in place around him

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2024, 11:53:29 am »
Not sure at all. I kind of hoped Ancelotti could have been a consideration but thats of course never happening now. Spaletti is a possibility as well but does he ever consider leaving Napoli?

The obvious one seems Alonso but until he wins anything I am throwing him in the group along side Gary O’Neill and De Zerbi, possible talented managers who have won fuck all.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2024, 11:54:31 am »
Surprised Postecoglou isn’t being mentioned more.

He would bring loads of what we love about Jurgen IMO. He formed an unbelievable connection with the fans at Celtic, in the same way that Klopp reflects the mindset and ethos of Liverpool. He’s also excellent with media, takes no bullshit which is a huge element of being a manager in the modern era.

And he’s doing a really good job at Spurs, playing excellent football. Would be committed to supporting the youth coming through, would work well with a Director of Football - he’s happy to look in less fashionable leagues for quality players.

Think we’d absolutely love him as a man, question is whether he can become a truly elite coach. I’m not sure - and for that reason think it’ll end up being someone like Alonso where the upside is huge - but Postecoglou would win the fans over quickly if he came I think. Also a massive Liverpool fan apparently.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 11:56:45 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2024, 11:57:15 am »
There are really no other outstanding candidates out there right now.  There are a lot of managers just under that "elite" level that we'll be looking at but nobody that really stands out.  Alonso is actually in his 5th years as manager as he spent 3 years managing Real Sociedad B team.  Yes, it would be ideal if he had another year or two at Leverkusen but that's not the case. 

I know he's managed b teams that's why I said senior manager

Just throwing a club legend at it and hoping he sticks to the window is as I say emotional at best

If there's no one I would much rather the reigns handed over to Pep Lijnders . Knows the team, knows Klopps tactics, formations and his way

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2024, 11:58:17 am »
What Xabi is doing in Germany as a young coach is sensational.

Frankly I couldn't care less whether he was our player or not, would have wanted him regardless.

That's the key question here. Strip Alonso of all Liverpool connections, would you want him to be the next manager?

I'm with you, his work at Leverkusen is exceptional, remember this is a club that's never won the Bundesliga and he's got them above a Munich who have won the last 11 titles. And he started out in the relegation zone less than 2 years ago.

His status at Liverpool as a player and his love for the city is like the cherry and the icing on top of an already tasty cake. A no brainer IMO. After listening to his conference yesterday I'm almost certain it's already done.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2024, 11:58:18 am »
If The Athletic is correct and Spearman was tasked in November with finding a manager whose philosophy matched our playing profile, I'd imagine we'll get some managers that aren't been discussed much in the media

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2024, 11:58:40 am »

Jűrgen does a lot  :P
Pics or it didn’t happen :)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2024, 11:58:43 am »

Just throwing a club legend at it and hoping he sticks to the window is as I say emotional at best

Go and look at the Bundesliga table.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2024, 11:59:12 am »

If there's no one I would much rather the reigns handed over to Pep Lijnders . Knows the team, knows Klopps tactics, formations and his way

Alonso would be a top contender even if he’d never played for Liverpool though. He looks like he could be the next elite manager given what he’s doing at Leverkusen, that would intrigue any big club on the lookout for someone.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2024, 11:59:52 am »

He’s 64 games unbeaten.. he’s managed 68 games..

Offline Willo99

• Kemlynite
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2024, 12:00:08 pm »
I can’t believe people can keep a straight face suggesting Lijnders

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2024, 12:00:33 pm »
Fernando Diniz?
Relationism is the "next big thing" in football tactics and FSG are all about the next big thing, wouldn't surprise me at all and prizing him away from Fluminense into the premiership shouldn't be an issue
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2024, 12:02:03 pm »
Fernando Diniz?
Relationism is the "next big thing" in football tactics and FSG are all about the next big thing, wouldn't surprise me at all and prizing him away from Fluminense into the premiership shouldn't be an issue

He prefers Ederson to Alisson, he's a clown.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2024, 12:02:21 pm »
Not sure at all. I kind of hoped Ancelotti could have been a consideration but thats of course never happening now. Spaletti is a possibility as well but does he ever consider leaving Napoli?

The obvious one seems Alonso but until he wins anything I am throwing him in the group along side Gary O’Neill and De Zerbi, possible talented managers who have won fuck all.

Bit hard for Spalleti to coach Italy by not leaving Napoli killer.  :P

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2024, 12:02:42 pm »
I reckon Hansi Flick will be someone they look at. Won it all at Bayern, then went to the German national team and it didn’t work out but not sure how much stock you can put in that.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2024, 12:04:13 pm »
Kenny did it with zero managerial experience, yes he had the backroom to assist, but he was very much his own man, Xabi has been picking up experience, he's tearing up the Bundesliga and he wants to manage us, so I'm not worried about it if the club want Xabi - if he doesn't mind paying the taxes that is ;)

I did think Pep would step up, but maybe he sees his future in club management abroad, maybe Spain, or he wants to be assistant to Klopp in the German National setup?
Jurgen YNWA

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2024, 12:04:58 pm »

Why?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2024, 12:05:41 pm »
That's the key question here. Strip Alonso of all Liverpool connections, would you want him to be the next manager?

And the answer to that is absolutely not. I don't think your trying hard enough to strip him of those LFC ties

Frankly a lot of people are as with many teams fans, only dreaming of what could be instead of looking at it objectively. It's one thing taking low expectations of Bayer and running with it, it's quite another when you are expected to win every game you play, it's a cauldron

I'd love Alonso to come in and be a success, but Klopp has built something here we want to continue. Someone like Alonso would've been a good fit after Kenny, not after a guy who's just rebuilt the entire club back to its glory.

As I've mentioned United did this with Ole. That's enough to fill me with dread

Jurgen Klopp

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2024, 12:06:41 pm »

Such a disrespectful post.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2024, 12:06:48 pm »
And the answer to that is absolutely not. I don't think your trying hard enough to strip him of those LFC ties

Frankly a lot of people are as with many teams fans, only dreaming of what could be instead of looking at it objectively. It's one thing taking low expectations of Bayer and running with it, it's quite another when you are expected to win every game you play, it's a cauldron

I'd love Alonso to come in and be a success, but Klopp has built something here we want to continue. Someone like Alonso would've been a good fit after Kenny, not after a guy who's just rebuilt the entire club back to its glory.

Hopefully we've got lucky with the timing of Mourinho's departure from Roma, he can have a break and be fresh in June.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2024, 12:07:03 pm »
I reckon Hansi Flick will be someone they look at. Won it all at Bayern, then went to the German national team and it didn’t work out but not sure how much stock you can put in that.

Yep should be considered.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2024, 12:07:12 pm »

As interim? Why

What a horrible fuckin post

Jurgen Klopp

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2024, 12:08:12 pm »
As interim? Why

What a horrible fuckin post
The wums are out in force.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2024, 12:09:07 pm »

What he's done/is doing at Leverkusen is pretty impressive though.  He's the outstanding candidate in my opinion.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2024, 12:09:11 pm »
Surely Zidane would be up for it?

Wouldn't want him anywhere near the job.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2024, 12:12:25 pm »

As I've mentioned United did this with Ole. That's enough to fill me with dread

I think you are entirely estimating how rare it is for any manager to stop Bayern from winning the Bundesliga, only Klopp himself has achieved that in the past, twice. If Alonso manages to achieve that, he becomes even hotter property. Considering there is no like for like replacement for Klopp as he is a one off, it opens the level of candidates rather than closing them down. We could  no longer dismiss Xabi than a number of other choices. Whose to say with the right people around him he can't take the club forward, he would have the opportunity to grow with a young team, which if successful would lead to stability, which is crucial in any setup.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2024, 12:13:15 pm »
Go and look at the Bundesliga table.

I watch Bundesliga every week and am more than aware of how Alonso is doing

Jurgen Klopp