Author Topic: Luis Díaz (Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda)  (Read 427611 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Luis Díaz (Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda)
« Reply #4280 on: March 29, 2024, 10:14:51 am »
Luis Diaz every time for me. A brilliant footballer - and a fighter. For the same reason I'd have Jota in my 'prestige Liverpool XI'. And obviously Mo on the right. Darwin to come on and face tired legs for the last 20 minutes.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #4281 on: March 29, 2024, 01:51:56 pm »
Maybe because he has scored 6 goals in the league? I’m a big fan of his but that type of output isn’t hard to replace.

Very reductive just to judge on that really - his pressing, chance creation etc are all big parts of how we play
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4282 on: March 29, 2024, 03:39:24 pm »
this is very similar to the Virgil and Gomez situations.

it took quite a while for them to get back to normal strength and confidence following their bad injuries, and so a lot of ppl started to write them off.

same's happening now with Lucho. we've seen him be a lot more physical in his play in the last month or so.  he is a very important player for us.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4283 on: March 29, 2024, 05:26:36 pm »
He's a fantastic player, people being so blasé about seeing the back of him boggles my mind.

I'm not blasé about seeing the back of him from a footballing perspective. Some players just don't 'click' with me in the sort of way that would make me miss them when they leave. Jota would be another example. If you told me we had to sell one of Diaz, Jota, and Tsimikas, I'd obviously go with Tsimikas, but I'd feel worse about it than either of the others.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #4284 on: March 29, 2024, 05:42:39 pm »
I'm not blasé about seeing the back of him from a footballing perspective. Some players just don't 'click' with me in the sort of way that would make me miss them when they leave. Jota would be another example. If you told me we had to sell one of Diaz, Jota, and Tsimikas, I'd obviously go with Tsimikas, but I'd feel worse about it than either of the others.

Genuinely curious why you’d feel worse about a back up left back who hasn’t pulled up any trees in his time here leaving the club over two players who have at times been our best players for periods of time?

Not taking the piss, I’ve just never heard something like that before

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4285 on: March 29, 2024, 05:59:36 pm »
He's a fantastic player, people being so blasé about seeing the back of him boggles my mind.

It's crazy, he's brilliant.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4286 on: March 29, 2024, 07:33:53 pm »
Genuinely curious why you’d feel worse about a back up left back who hasn’t pulled up any trees in his time here leaving the club over two players who have at times been our best players for periods of time?

Not taking the piss, I’ve just never heard something like that before

The simple answer is that I like Tsimikas and I don't have feelings either way toward Diaz or Jota. A big part of that is that Tsimikas seems like he cares a lot more about being a Liverpool player than they do. Not a slight on them, for the record - just a reason to like Tsimikas more.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4287 on: March 29, 2024, 07:43:11 pm »
Yep Jota - Nunez - Salah would be my first choice.

That is hugely imbalanced though. That is essentially playing with three out-and-out strikers. Diaz for me has a far higher work rate, drops deeper and gets more involved in the build-up play. He also holds a wider position than Jota.

I think Jota is a brilliant finisher and is more of a threat but tends to play more like an inside forward than Diaz and is far less involved in games than Lucho.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4288 on: March 29, 2024, 07:46:07 pm »
That is hugely imbalanced though. That is essentially playing with three out-and-out strikers. Diaz for me has a far higher work rate, drops deeper and gets more involved in the build-up play. He also holds a wider position than Jota.

I think Jota is a brilliant finisher and is more of a threat but tends to play more like an inside forward than Diaz and is far less involved in games than Lucho.

Playing three forwards shouldnt be an issue and Jota is very switched on defensively as he illustrated against City in the home game last season. For me there isnt a question that Jota is better.

For all of Diaz’s work, he is still a level below Jota in output and the attributes he does bring are not of a high enough quality to justify him starting ahead of him.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4289 on: March 29, 2024, 07:56:18 pm »
Playing three forwards shouldnt be an issue and Jota is very switched on defensively as he illustrated against City in the home game last season. For me there isnt a question that Jota is better.

For all of Diaz’s work, he is still a level below Jota in output and the attributes he does bring are not of a high enough quality to justify him starting ahead of him.

Jota's output isn't consistent though. I mean not so long ago he went a year without scoring.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4290 on: March 29, 2024, 08:13:39 pm »
Jota's output isn't consistent though. I mean not so long ago he went a year without scoring.

That was a freak occurrence and either side of that he has been incredible. Even with that form he still out performs Diaz.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #4291 on: March 29, 2024, 08:33:05 pm »
Very reductive just to judge on that really - his pressing, chance creation etc are all big parts of how we play
His pressing and ability to carry the ball up the pitch are valuable, but he doesn't really create chances.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4292 on: March 29, 2024, 08:41:05 pm »
His pressing and ability to carry the ball up the pitch are valuable, but he doesn't really create chances.

His shot creating actions are not bad are they?

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4293 on: March 29, 2024, 08:49:27 pm »

Salah is not an out and out striker though.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4294 on: March 29, 2024, 08:53:34 pm »
Salah is not an out and out striker though.

Salah has almost no defensive responsibilities. For me, he plays as a wide creative striker. Since Salah arrived we have played with a lopsided formation with the right side pushed higher up the pitch and with Salah far less involved defensively than the left-sided attacker.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4295 on: March 29, 2024, 09:00:29 pm »
Salah has almost no defensive responsibilities. For me, he plays as a wide creative striker. Since Salah arrived we have played with a lopsided formation with the right side pushed higher up the pitch and with Salah far less involved defensively than the left-sided attacker.
He's been found in the RB position far more of late than in previous seasons. It's harsh to say that he has almost no defensive responsibilities.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4296 on: March 29, 2024, 09:18:04 pm »
He's been found in the RB position far more of late than in previous seasons. It's harsh to say that he has almost no defensive responsibilities.

Ending up in the right-back position and being tasked with tracking your opposite number are completely different things though. Salah is allowed to let his man go because we believe that Salah is far more dangerous than the player he lets go.

Mane and Diaz haven't been given that freedom on the left and have been tasked with far more defensive work. That isn't a role that really suits Jota. Jota is really good at pressing but isn't as good defensively as Diaz or Mane for me.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4297 on: March 29, 2024, 09:20:54 pm »
Ending up in the right-back position and being tasked with tracking your opposite number are completely different things though. Salah is allowed to let his man go because we believe that Salah is far more dangerous than the player he lets go.

Mane and Diaz haven't been given that freedom on the left and have been tasked with far more defensive work. That isn't a role that really suits Jota. Jota is really good at pressing but isn't as good defensively as Diaz or Mane for me.

But Jota gives more output and thats in a team that has included Nunez and Salah. For me its not even close as to who starts. Diaz is a good player but not at Jota’s level.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4298 on: March 29, 2024, 09:27:56 pm »
But Jota gives more output and thats in a team that has included Nunez and Salah. For me its not even close as to who starts. Diaz is a good player but not at Jota’s level.

What do you mean by output?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4299 on: March 29, 2024, 09:31:15 pm »
What do you mean by output?

Scoring goals, getting good chances, creating chances.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4300 on: March 29, 2024, 09:33:45 pm »

But that's what I meant, Al. Salah end us in the RB position by tracking all the way from upfront when the RB is in front of him or just being passed by the attacker. You watch the games, you must have seen that. In fact, Darwin does that on the other side often too. Diaz tries, but he's not tracking back with such efficiency as Salah and Darwin. Agree with you on Jota being boss in that aspect.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4301 on: March 29, 2024, 09:54:41 pm »
Scoring goals, getting good chances, creating chances.

This season Diaz has made slightly more key passes than Jota. He has also made more passes at a far higher completion rate. Has made more crosses and is involved far earlier in our build-up. For me they are different types of players. Diaz is far more a traditional wide midfield player. His role now especially without Jones in the team is almost a hybrid winger/controller.

Jota is far more of a forward and is at his best when he doesn't really get involved in the build-up phase but drifts into space in a kind of old-fashioned inside forward role.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4302 on: March 29, 2024, 09:58:28 pm »
This season Diaz has made slightly more key passes than Jota. He has also made more passes at a far higher completion rate. Has made more crosses and is involved far earlier in our build-up. For me they are different types of players. Diaz is far more a traditional wide midfield player. His role now especially without Jones in the team is almost a hybrid winger/controller.

Jota is far more of a forward and is at his best when he doesn't really get involved in the build-up phase but drifts into space in a kind of old-fashioned inside forward role.

And i would say with Mo, Jones, Szobozslai and Mac Allister on the field, we need more that kind of player. I would like a winger at the club but he would have to be providing more in the other aspects of the game than Diaz is to replace Jota.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4303 on: March 29, 2024, 09:58:40 pm »
But that's what I meant, Al. Salah end us in the RB position by tracking all the way from upfront when the RB is in front of him or just being passed by the attacker. You watch the games, you must have seen that. In fact, Darwin does that on the other side often too. Diaz tries, but he's not tracking back with such efficiency as Salah and Darwin. Agree with you on Jota being boss in that aspect.

Salah ends up in the right back position though when our right back empties that space, either Trent drifting inside or Bradley overlapping. We don't really do that on the left. Robertson or Gomez on that side play a far more conservative game. Mane or latterly Diaz have been far more tasked with becoming an extra body in midfield and sitting in front of the left back.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4304 on: March 29, 2024, 10:16:24 pm »
And i would say with Mo, Jones, Szobozslai and Mac Allister on the field, we need more that kind of player. I would like a winger at the club but he would have to be providing more in the other aspects of the game than Diaz is to replace Jota.

As I said for me Jones becomes the tipping point.

When Jones plays on the left he plays really high and provides width. He is exceptionally press-resistant and really good in the build-up phase. That allows Jota to drift inside and find pockets of space. Jones and Szobo in front of Macca provided us with real width in midfield and create the space in between the lines for Jota.

Change that to an Endo-Macca-Szob/Elliott midfield and we lack width on the left. Macca wants to tuck in and so does Jota. That is when Diaz is far more suited to the left side attacking role. Like Jones, he provides width on the left, is exceptionally press-resistant and gives us the kind of control in possession that Gini gave us.

Diaz is really good at dropping deep receiving the ball and driving inside. He draws players in and keeps the ball extremely well.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4305 on: March 30, 2024, 12:07:29 am »
The simple answer is that I like Tsimikas and I don't have feelings either way toward Diaz or Jota. A big part of that is that Tsimikas seems like he cares a lot more about being a Liverpool player than they do. Not a slight on them, for the record - just a reason to like Tsimikas more.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but this feels like the ramblings of a madman.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4306 on: March 30, 2024, 09:32:00 am »
You're entitled to your opinion of course but this feels like the ramblings of a madman.

I don't think so. It's a familiar syndrome for a football supporter. The most revered player at Liverpool in 1977 when we won our first Big One wasn't Keegan or Toshack or Heighway or Hughes or Cally. It wasn't McDermottt or Kennedy. It was Joey Jones, the most technically deficient player on our pitch.

Supporters always warm to those who seem to feel the same way about the club as they do. Tsimikas has that vibe. He's a much better player than Joey was too.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4307 on: March 30, 2024, 09:34:30 am »
I don't think so. It's a familiar syndrome for a football supporter. The most revered player at Liverpool in 1977 when we won our first Big One wasn't Keegan or Toshack or Heighway or Hughes or Cally. It wasn't McDermottt or Kennedy. It was Joey Jones, the most technically deficient player on our pitch.

Supporters always warm to those who seem to feel the same way about the club as they do. Tsimikas has that vibe. He's a much better player than Joey was too.

I sort of get that half but to say they have "no feelings either way" towards two of our best players honestly just sounds fucking mental to me.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4308 on: March 30, 2024, 02:49:49 pm »
His shot creating actions are not bad are they?
They’re decent, but his shot map isn’t great and he rarely sets up others.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4309 on: March 30, 2024, 07:40:34 pm »
They’re decent, but his shot map isn’t great and he rarely sets up others.

Yep. He has been decent but he hasnt been great for a while.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #4310 on: March 31, 2024, 02:00:19 am »
What do you guys think what Edwards makes of Diaz ?

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4311 on: March 31, 2024, 02:16:00 am »
Don’t think he would’ve signed him. He’s been a good signing and added a dimension to our attack that we didn’t have, but his underlying numbers weren’t great at Porto and haven’t been stellar here either.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4312 on: March 31, 2024, 02:29:13 am »

Edwards left in July 2022. That was six months AFTER we signed Diaz.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4313 on: March 31, 2024, 03:01:27 am »
Another Greek tragedy - a Beautiful Theory murdered by an Ugly Fact...   ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4314 on: March 31, 2024, 09:40:08 am »

Ward was running the show then. Edwards announced in October or November 21 i believe he was going to leave. The articles mentioned Ward working with him.

That said he probably had a hand in some data/analysis on Diaz. But Ward was influential and he as we know he has pictures of Figo and Jota on his wall as he loves Portugal so much.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 09:43:18 am by killer-heels »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4315 on: March 31, 2024, 09:49:56 am »
Some of you lot haven't a fucking clue.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4316 on: March 31, 2024, 11:37:38 am »
He's been one of our best players of late.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4317 on: March 31, 2024, 02:28:24 pm »

Take that back !
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4318 on: March 31, 2024, 02:28:48 pm »
Amen
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4319 on: March 31, 2024, 02:29:37 pm »