Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 335575 times)

Offline Hash91

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Xabi Alonso
« Reply #3400 on: December 28, 2017, 05:33:16 am »
That's terrific. I'm stupidly pleased by his answer.

People talk a lot about 'the Liverpool way' and some of it is bullshit. But some of it is very real too. When Xabi mentions how well received he was at Anfield from Day 1 that is an example of 'the Liverpool way' in action. He was loved from the start because we're an educated lot and most of us could see something incredibly special within 20 minutes of that debut (at Bolton I think). He was also playing in a classic Liverpool style. The old pass n move groove. Shades of Stevenson, shades of Souness, shades of Molby.

Absolutely.

I still remember one of his earliest home games against Fulham (or Norwich was it?). He fucking ran the show from midfield! What an impact he made.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3401 on: December 28, 2017, 06:13:22 am »
https://twitter.com/BobbyFirmino9/status/945451012889960448

Xabi Alonso on which club he preferred out of Bayern, Madrid and Liverpool:
‘I would say Liverpool. It was strange because I thought I’d feel at home in Madrid due to it being my country but compared to Liverpool it wasn’t. Liverpool is like my 2nd home’

Alonso on why he loved Liverpool so much:
‘Ah. Thats simple. The fans were amazing with me since day 1. They make you feel like you know them all personally. You would do anything for them. Winning a game would give me that extra feeling of happiness as it pleases the fans’

Would he go back to be on Klopp’s coaching staff?:
‘Jurgen has a great set of staff that I know personally from their time in Germany. I think it’s too early for me to go into an elite club and be part of the first team coaching team. Who knows for the future?’

On Liverpool’s #UCL hopes this season:
‘I’ve watched their journey so far and they’ve completed the group stage in style. I think the team suits this competition. The dream for me? Liverpool vs Bayern/Madrid in the final. That would be a special moment for me and my family.’

Who would he support in his dream final?:
‘Whoever wins (laughs). I’d be happy for any of the 3 to win it, honestly. If I had to pick one? Liverpool because they haven’t won anything for a while. I’m sure Jurgen will bring the good times back though’

On who he thinks is Liverpool’s best player:
‘Salah has been the player of the season so far in England. Firmino has been crucial to their Champions League campaign. I would have to say Coutinho though. In Spain, we rate him as one of the best players in the world.’

I dunno if I love him or just wish I was him. Such a great guy and probably overall my favourite player from the last 10 years. Was gutted he left. Wish he'd spent the rest of his career here along with Mascherano and Gerrard.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3402 on: December 28, 2017, 02:04:49 pm »
I dunno if I love him or just wish I was him. Such a great guy and probably overall my favourite player from the last 10 years. Was gutted he left. Wish he'd spent the rest of his career here along with Mascherano and Gerrard.

Echo this.  Would give anything to look like that in a tux, or to be able to lift up that left hand and know I'm about to drop a 60 yard pass on a pinhead.  Ye gods what a man.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #3403 on: December 29, 2017, 10:26:34 am »
Underrated.

Can't believe they have all these best midfielders in the PL discussion and he never gets a look in.

Was better than the kamikaze tackling ginger c*nt but the way the media plays tricks on people is  ::).
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3404 on: December 29, 2017, 10:35:30 am »
Absolutely.

I still remember one of his earliest home games against Fulham (or Norwich was it?). He fucking ran the show from midfield! What an impact he made.

That was Norwich, won 3-0 and he bossed it. Around bat time was Fulham away when he came on and sparked the 4-2 comeback. Here you go: https://youtu.be/xA57Hlkl1ZI

There’s also that YouTube clip of the Spurs game from that season. Absolutely ridiculous number of amazing passes in one game, would have been a season’s worth of highlights for most.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:41:07 am by Arl St Nickleback at a shite works do they'll never forget »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3405 on: December 29, 2017, 10:35:35 am »
Xabi Alonso is the dogs danglies and always will be, also from a straight guy, he's incredibly good looking AND he is super classy.

Honestly was devastated when he left, still enjoyed watching his footie, his passing ability and the way he struck a ball was excellent and effortless.

He could also ping in a shot like!

Also, if you google "Xabo Alonso Cool" it tells you all you need to know, the guys was fucking boss!

Also, compare this attitude to someone like that vile c*nt Giggs who thinks he should walk into coaching United or something:

Would he go back to be on Klopp’s coaching staff?:

‘Jurgen has a great set of staff that I know personally from their time in Germany. I think it’s too early for me to go into an elite club and be part of the first team coaching team. Who knows for the future?’
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:41:07 am by PhilV »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3406 on: December 29, 2017, 10:41:56 am »
Almost certain I'd turn for him  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3407 on: December 29, 2017, 10:52:55 am »
Almost certain I'd turn for him  ;D

He does have a fridge that needs shifting funnily enough.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3408 on: December 29, 2017, 12:09:33 pm »
Underrated.

Can't believe they have all these best midfielders in the PL discussion and he never gets a look in.

Was better than the kamikaze tackling ginger c*nt but the way the media plays tricks on people is  ::).

Probably due to how long he was actually in England combined with the fact he's not one of the 'class of 92' or whatever it was

Alonso is certainly one of the best midfielders ive seen play in my lifetime (mid 20's)

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3409 on: December 29, 2017, 06:41:13 pm »
He does have a fridge that needs shifting funnily enough.

:lmao

Not everyone's gonna get that.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #3410 on: January 10, 2018, 08:56:13 pm »
Alonso says he wants to manage Liverpool, but that Gerrard has to be manager first https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/951174317127090178

It's a pity how people think a better player has to have the first shot. That's a problem in England, based on reputation... I had a long conversation last year about how in England they don't know how to assess a good manager/coach. They base their view on flavour of the moment, and then they think you're shit if you're not flavour of the moment. Do they know how to assess a quality manager?

Take this into account: A manager can be brilliant even if his team is relegated. You have to take into account proper factors, properly look at his methods, philosophy, look at how he really transforms players or not, and so many other factors...

I've often seen in England that a manager is hailed for a local Cup run and then shortly after, sacked for a bad run in the league.

It's like a teenager choosing a wife based on how good he thinks she looks, and then when he lives with her for a few weeks, he realises they are not compatible. Did he have a proper scout? Looking at proper attributes.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3411 on: January 10, 2018, 11:22:18 pm »
Alonso says he wants to manage Liverpool, but that Gerrard has to be manager first https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/951174317127090178

It's a pity how people think a better player has to have the first shot. That's a problem in England, based on reputation... I had a long conversation last year about how in England they don't know how to assess a good manager/coach. They base their view on flavour of the moment, and then they think you're shit if you're not flavour of the moment. Do they know how to assess a quality manager?

Take this into account: A manager can be brilliant even if his team is relegated. You have to take into account proper factors, properly look at his methods, philosophy, look at how he really transforms players or not, and so many other factors...

I've often seen in England that a manager is hailed for a local Cup run and then shortly after, sacked for a bad run in the league.

It's like a teenager choosing a wife based on how good he thinks she looks, and then when he lives with her for a few weeks, he realises they are not compatible. Did he have a proper scout? Looking at proper attributes.

Who says either of them deserve to be manager? Xabi may make a good manager further down the line. Same as Stevie.

I mean, it's not like Stevie's doing the Giggs route of waiting for the job to fall into his lap.
We are Liverpool!

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3412 on: January 11, 2018, 06:15:43 am »

Why is this relevant, Gerrard is the one that's actually managing our youth teams, Alonso has just retired.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #3413 on: January 11, 2018, 09:40:45 am »
Why is this relevant, Gerrard is the one that's actually managing our youth teams, Alonso has just retired.

Sorry, I will tell Alonso to get that Tweet and interview deleted. And also inform him that he shouldn't have mentioned Gerrard in this exact context again because it's not good enough for the Former LFC Players thread.
And, I will not comment on the poor assessment of English managers ever again, but only wait until Paul Merson discusses it on TV, so then it will be relevant.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:43:22 am by SteveZissou »
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3414 on: January 11, 2018, 12:24:00 pm »
As much as I loved Suarez/ Torres/ Gerrard etc etc, since the Fowler days, Alonso is probably the player I enjoyed watching the most.

Art in motion. 

Was absolutely gutted when he left.

Signing him was huge for us and I'm hoping the signing of Keita can have a similar impact on our midfield.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3415 on: January 12, 2018, 05:42:41 am »
Absolutely.

Fulham

The 4-2 where we were down 2-0 at half time. He ran the show and scored from a free kick, IIRC.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3416 on: January 12, 2018, 06:07:35 am »
Fulham

The 4-2 where we were down 2-0 at half time. He ran the show and scored from a free kick, IIRC.

I remember it as the Norwich game. Fucking ridiculous, most midfielders don't make these passes over the course of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA57Hlkl1ZI

That pass at 1:32 though  :o

Offline Hash91

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3417 on: January 12, 2018, 06:43:40 am »
I remember it as the Norwich game. Fucking ridiculous, most midfielders don't make these passes over the course of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA57Hlkl1ZI

That pass at 1:32 though  :o
Yes this is the one! Thanks for this mate!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3418 on: January 12, 2018, 10:34:26 am »
When Klopp leaves Gerrard and Alonso as his no.2 please
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3419 on: January 13, 2018, 04:21:01 pm »
A suave bastard and could play a tiny bit too, what a player.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3420 on: January 14, 2018, 02:32:30 pm »
Sorry, I will tell Alonso to get that Tweet and interview deleted. And also inform him that he shouldn't have mentioned Gerrard in this exact context again because it's not good enough for the Former LFC Players thread.
And, I will not comment on the poor assessment of English managers ever again, but only wait until Paul Merson discusses it on TV, so then it will be relevant.

Steven Gerrard is taking his coaching badges and is the manager of our Youth teams. Xabi Alonso is doing fuck all bar pretending he's the boss of some Tango League team or some shit like that.

So in the management game it's 1-0 to Stevie.   :wave

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3421 on: January 15, 2018, 03:43:23 am »
Steven Gerrard is taking his coaching badges and is the manager of our Youth teams. Xabi Alonso is doing fuck all bar pretending he's the boss of some Tango League team or some shit like that.

So in the management game it's 1-0 to Stevie.   :wave

I wasn't aware there was a competition going on between the two of them. Xabi's actually said in the interview that Stevie will be first because he's already here.

Isn't it nice to just enjoy that a fan favourite and genuine world class player wants to come back and manage the team one day?

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #3422 on: January 17, 2018, 07:36:17 pm »
I could picture Alonso and Gerrard being a good coaching partnership:  One bringing passion and drive, the other staying cool and bringing intellect. 
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3423 on: January 17, 2018, 08:37:17 pm »
I could picture Alonso and Gerrard being a good coaching partnership:  One bringing passion and drive, the other staying cool and bringing intellect.

And who brings the actual coaching ability?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3424 on: January 17, 2018, 08:50:57 pm »

As long as it's somewhere in England, not considered really necessary... ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #3425 on: January 19, 2018, 02:52:20 am »

Why that would be you! ;-)
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3426 on: January 19, 2018, 02:56:28 am »

They're both doing their badges aren't they?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3427 on: January 19, 2018, 03:01:55 am »
They're both doing their badges aren't they?

That doesn't mean "coaching ability" though. Ryan Giggs has his coaching badges. As does Gary Neville. If you're an ex-pro on those courses, you get walked through them, learning nothing (especially at the FA).

I think people are projecting WAY too much into our ex-players. Coaching ability has next to no relation to playing ability (or the things people say as pundits).

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3428 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:26 am »
Why that would be you! ;-)

I'll be too busy driving the cab, and running the Edgworth Under 11s. I simply won't have the time.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3429 on: January 19, 2018, 06:05:57 am »
That doesn't mean "coaching ability" though. Ryan Giggs has his coaching badges. As does Gary Neville. If you're an ex-pro on those courses, you get walked through them, learning nothing (especially at the FA).

I think people are projecting WAY too much into our ex-players. Coaching ability has next to no relation to playing ability (or the things people say as pundits).

What is an indicator of coaching ability though? While playing football doesn't necessarily mean you make a good coach, I can't imagine it is a hindrance either. Can being an ex-player help in being a good manager? I believe it can. Is it an indicator of someone being a good manager, most certainly not. I think it is similar to some extent with coaching although a manager with playing experience might benefit more from their experience.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3430 on: January 19, 2018, 06:12:15 am »
What is an indicator of coaching ability though? While playing football doesn't necessarily mean you make a good coach, I can't imagine it is a hindrance either. Can being an ex-player help in being a good manager? I believe it can. Is it an indicator of someone being a good manager, most certainly not. I think it is similar to some extent with coaching although a manager with playing experience might benefit more from their experience.

Working at smaller clubs and having some success relative to resources is usually a decent indicator. And that means managing and coaching actual clubs, rather than academies. It worked for Pep, but he's both a rare sort, and also walked into one of the biggest clubs in the world with some of the best players in the world (same as Zidane). In those situations, then ex-players are almost preferable, because they understand the mentality of top, top players who don't require much in the way of skill and tactics training, but instead require more man-management.

Unfortunately, we're not that club. We're the club that builds teams through coaching and astute buys, so our future managers and coaches have to have a little bit more about them, and history doesn't show much favour on "greatest players of an era" having a huge amount of success with circumstances like that. The successful coaches of those kinds of clubs usually come from much lower player experiences, and entry into the coaching ranks at an age that the top players are still just reaching their playing peak.

It would be great if Gerrard and Xabi could be a dream team, but the odds are that they wouldn't be, and it's an unnecessary burden to put on them to think they might be.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3431 on: January 19, 2018, 12:01:20 pm »
Working at smaller clubs and having some success relative to resources is usually a decent indicator. And that means managing and coaching actual clubs, rather than academies. It worked for Pep, but he's both a rare sort, and also walked into one of the biggest clubs in the world with some of the best players in the world (same as Zidane). In those situations, then ex-players are almost preferable, because they understand the mentality of top, top players who don't require much in the way of skill and tactics training, but instead require more man-management.

Unfortunately, we're not that club. We're the club that builds teams through coaching and astute buys, so our future managers and coaches have to have a little bit more about them, and history doesn't show much favour on "greatest players of an era" having a huge amount of success with circumstances like that. The successful coaches of those kinds of clubs usually come from much lower player experiences, and entry into the coaching ranks at an age that the top players are still just reaching their playing peak.

It would be great if Gerrard and Xabi could be a dream team, but the odds are that they wouldn't be, and it's an unnecessary burden to put on them to think they might be.

If w need an ex-player profile, I'd look for mediocre footballers who've managed to play above their level due to their brain (Klopp) who have a good grounding in physiotherapy (Paisley, Benitez). Richie Partidge, perhaps? Another plus is he used to be a midfielder, unlike the brainless fancy dans up front or the primitive hulks at the back.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3432 on: January 19, 2018, 12:31:27 pm »
Xabi is "coaching" the adidas tango team isn't he, I believe they are a team of fives or seven a side or something along them lines of promising amateur kids

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3433 on: January 19, 2018, 12:43:26 pm »

The hindrance having been a brilliant player produces is a frustration or failure to understand how players can't do things that the former player turned coach could do when he played.

Pep and Zidane have proven to be exceptions, as has Cruyff, but contrast those examples with something like the carnage that was Maradona's service as Argentine manager. Glenn Hoddle wasn't up to much sensible, either.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3434 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:53 pm »

Pep and Zidane have proven to be exceptions, as has Cruyff

Ever heard of a bloke called Kenny Dalglish?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3435 on: January 19, 2018, 03:08:41 pm »

Yes, that's very true.

As would Souness be on the other side.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3436 on: January 19, 2018, 04:03:57 pm »

Kenny didn't coach though. He took care of man-management and transfers. At Liverpool he let Evans and Moran do their thing. At Blackburn he brought in Ray Harford. On his return to Liverpool, he brought in Steve Clarke.

So there's probably little doubt that one of Gerrard or Xabi could do the man-management and transfers part. In fact, they probably do it better than the people who didn't play professionally, or to a high level. If we look at those types of managers, then it's not a surprise that a lot of them tend to end up having personality clashes with their players whenever they are managing the absolute top players. Not so much for sub-elite players though, because any success with those players creates buy-in.

But Tactics Tim can do the man-management part. I don't think there is a doubt about that facet, from either or both of Xabi or Gerrard. The question I posed, at least, was "who brings the coaching ability?". And that's where being an ex-player of some renown is of no benefit at all.

Because it's the planning of an entire season of coaching, breaking that down into blocks, breaking those blocks down into individual weeks, planning each week according to the game schedule, having an overall playing plan, breaking that plan into the various units, then the individual tasks within each unit; selling that vision to the players, keeping that vision in front of them in the face of losses, making sure the players who aren't playing are capable of retaining their interest in that vision, getting out on the training pitch and going through the specifics of that vision in an organized and varied manner. Then, choosing the right exercises to bring out the key factors of that vision such that the players are confronted with the problems and are guided to the solutions. Choosing the right fitness components to enhance that vision, whether specifically and separately, or in an integrated manner into the actual tactical and technical exercises. And then, creating feedback loops so that players can see not only their own progressions, but the progressions of their units, and then the team, so that the next block of coaching follows logically from the previous one, until a cohesive picture is built up in the player's minds of what the coach wants from them.

All of that (and that's just the surface), is why most top ex-players don't live up to expectations as coaches and managers.

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3437 on: January 19, 2018, 08:49:37 pm »
Kenny didn't coach though. He took care of man-management and transfers. At Liverpool he let Evans and Moran do their thing. At Blackburn he brought in Ray Harford. On his return to Liverpool, he brought in Steve Clarke.

So there's probably little doubt that one of Gerrard or Xabi could do the man-management and transfers part. In fact, they probably do it better than the people who didn't play professionally, or to a high level. If we look at those types of managers, then it's not a surprise that a lot of them tend to end up having personality clashes with their players whenever they are managing the absolute top players. Not so much for sub-elite players though, because any success with those players creates buy-in.

But Tactics Tim can do the man-management part. I don't think there is a doubt about that facet, from either or both of Xabi or Gerrard. The question I posed, at least, was "who brings the coaching ability?". And that's where being an ex-player of some renown is of no benefit at all.

Because it's the planning of an entire season of coaching, breaking that down into blocks, breaking those blocks down into individual weeks, planning each week according to the game schedule, having an overall playing plan, breaking that plan into the various units, then the individual tasks within each unit; selling that vision to the players, keeping that vision in front of them in the face of losses, making sure the players who aren't playing are capable of retaining their interest in that vision, getting out on the training pitch and going through the specifics of that vision in an organized and varied manner. Then, choosing the right exercises to bring out the key factors of that vision such that the players are confronted with the problems and are guided to the solutions. Choosing the right fitness components to enhance that vision, whether specifically and separately, or in an integrated manner into the actual tactical and technical exercises. And then, creating feedback loops so that players can see not only their own progressions, but the progressions of their units, and then the team, so that the next block of coaching follows logically from the previous one, until a cohesive picture is built up in the player's minds of what the coach wants from them.

All of that (and that's just the surface), is why most top ex-players don't live up to expectations as coaches and managers.

Piece of piss that POP.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3438 on: March 8, 2018, 11:23:30 am »
Some Turks have hacked his Instagram, his posts all liked by Robbie Keane

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #3439 on: March 20, 2018, 11:11:57 am »
Piece of piss that POP.

I’m not sure that’s true. If I remember right, Kenny brought in Steve Clarke as first team coach and he handled training sessions, didn’t he? A great manager doesn’t have to be a great coach, and vice versa.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.