Author Topic: French riots  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: French riots
« Reply #40 on: July 1, 2023, 11:03:42 am »
Exactly.  It was the final straw.  It seems some can't grasp that concept.
No wonder this world is such a depressing, shambolic mess when people believe the way to address something like this is to terrorise your community, smash it up, rob its equally fed-up citizens and pretend it's all in support of the victim of another crime.

It's the actions of selfish manchildren, opportunistic thieves, local gangs and anti-social scumbags.

People need to grow the fuck up. "Oh, I'm unhappy and I don't have the emotional intelligence to channel that anger in any other way than destruction and violence towards my own community and the neighbours who are trying to also get by in an unjust world."

Yes, grow up for fucks sake. No wonder this world is screwed.  :butt

You don't get back at 'the man' by burning down your own neighbourhood. That's called shooting yourselves in the foot.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2023, 11:07:32 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #41 on: July 1, 2023, 11:08:19 am »
No wonder this world is such a depressing, shambolic mess when people believe the way to address something like this is to terrorise your community, smash it up, rob its equally fed-up citizens and pretend it's all in support of the victim of another crime.

It's the actions of selfish manchildren, opportunistic thieves, local gangs and anti-social scumbags.

People need to grow the fuck up. "Oh, I'm unhappy and I don't have the emotional intelligence to channel that anger in any other way than destruction and violence towards my own community and the neighbours who are trying to also get by in an unjust world."

Yes, grow up for fucks sake. No wonder this world is screwed.  :butt

Well said. Whilst the police’s actions are despicable why trash your community centre’s and libraries? Why not attack a police station or the Elysee Palace?

The looting displays the same feral action as the mobs who plundered our fans a year ago.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 1, 2023, 11:14:17 am »
Have to agree with Son of Spion. There's a lot to admire about the French and their willingness to get out there and protest but seems the actions here are just counter productive to their own cause.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 1, 2023, 11:15:10 am »
Well said. Whilst the police’s actions are despicable why trash your community centre’s and libraries? Why not attack a police station or the Elysee Palace?

The looting displays the same feral action as the mobs who plundered our fans a year ago.
Yep, the actions of the police in this case was shameful and they need to be held fully accountable. That, I'm 100% behind.

What I cannot abide is the idea that destroying your own already downtrodden neighbourhood and looting shops for tellys and an armful of Nikes is the way to address it.

That, I'm afraid, is primitive level feral opportunism.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 1, 2023, 11:20:01 am »
Have to agree with Son of Spion. There's a lot to admire about the French and their willingness to get out there and protest but seems the actions here are just counter productive to their own cause.
I do admire how the French seem to stand their ground when they feel their government wrong them. We could do with more of that in this country.

I cannot, however, get behind the minority in this case who have used the tragic death of a seemingly innocent young man to justify terrorizing, robbing and looting communities all over France. It's the ordinary citizens who are suffering. The police will simply enjoy cracking heads and go home to their safe neighbourhoods afterwards.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: July 1, 2023, 11:20:07 am »

From the BBC

I’m looking at what remains of a big office building. About 500 people worked here: it was an important part of the community.

Rioters broke in and set it on fire. One part of the building is completely charred, and has collapsed onto the street. Broken glass and debris is everywhere. We can still see and smell the smoke coming out.

All the people who work here have lost their offices and their belongings.

Just across the road is a pharmacy, which is also a health centre - and one of very few places in the neighbourhood where people can get treatment when they’re ill.

It’s been looted, and partially destroyed.

Many residents of Roubaix told us: “what’s the point of damaging pharmacies, offices, theatres? This is not the right way to demand justice for Nahel.”

Absolutely mind boggling anybody could support these kind of actions. It is indefensible what kind of things the rioters are targeting. Buildings, people, organisations with absolutely no connection to the terrible act committed. It’s just mindless violence by people who see an opportunity to get onto the streets and have chosen the tragic killing of a young man as their cause to do so. Shame on them.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #46 on: July 1, 2023, 11:57:56 am »
Going to Paris in November, as long as they've stopped by then.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 1, 2023, 11:58:35 am »
Just seen a piece on Reuters about a motorbike shop completely looted and then set on fire. Owner sitting outside in tears no jobs for his 8 employees now. These rioters are mindless scum and now we have the far right organising and fighting back in certain areas it's recipe for disaster. A complete sh it show of a situation.

There are videos of gangs walking around the streets last night with heavy caliber machine guns ffs and Macron is going to Elton John concerts. Has there ever been a leader so out of touch with reality.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2023, 12:01:47 pm by Mister Flip Flop »
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 1, 2023, 12:41:55 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all the underlying issues surrounding the fact that immigrants being multi-generational non-nationals will be fixed by by then.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 1, 2023, 12:44:27 pm »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all the underlying issues surrounding the fact that immigrants being multi-generational non-nationals will be fixed by by then.

;D

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #50 on: July 1, 2023, 12:50:34 pm »

Brilliant. I can sleep easier now. Thanks

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 1, 2023, 01:03:26 pm »
It's all a bit stupid. There will be a very small minority of the rioters who give a shit about the kid being shot. It's just an excuse to destroy the city.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 1, 2023, 01:18:24 pm »
Just seen a piece on Reuters about a motorbike shop completely looted and then set on fire. Owner sitting outside in tears no jobs for his 8 employees now. These rioters are mindless scum and now we have the far right organising and fighting back in certain areas it's recipe for disaster. A complete sh it show of a situation.

There are videos of gangs walking around the streets last night with heavy caliber machine guns ffs and Macron is going to Elton John concerts. Has there ever been a leader so out of touch with reality.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 1, 2023, 01:34:16 pm »
Wasn’t it the ‘yellow vest’ mob that hijacked riots in France a couple years back?  They love a riot hijack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 1, 2023, 01:40:20 pm »
Wasn’t it the ‘yellow vest’ mob that hijacked riots in France a couple years back?  They love a riot hijack

I think the ‘gilets jaunes’ were a political protest that turned into a riot.

This is a riot which has turned into an unauthorised shopping spree.

Great publicity for the Olympics though.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #55 on: July 1, 2023, 02:36:33 pm »
Be a great time to go, just be safe & soak it in & take your camera & a high vis with press on it  ;D

And repeatedly scream Journaliste, Journaliste...

Back to the ongoing violence, this is all part of a reckoning the French state have to deal with, due to how it has treated French-Algerians in the country ever since Independence and the war that preceded it.

France, like Britain doesn't like looking back at its unsavoury, colonial past.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2023, 02:38:46 pm by Commie Bobbie »
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #56 on: July 1, 2023, 05:41:51 pm »
And repeatedly scream Journaliste, Journaliste...

Back to the ongoing violence, this is all part of a reckoning the French state have to deal with, due to how it has treated French-Algerians in the country ever since Independence and the war that preceded it.

France, like Britain doesn't like looking back at its unsavoury, colonial past.

I don’t think you can even compare the experiences of someone of a colonial background in the UK to France. Things ain’t perfect here but we are light years ahead of France and most of Europe, they are literally 20 or 30 years behind us in most of Europe.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 1, 2023, 05:53:14 pm »
I don’t think you can even compare the experiences of someone of a colonial background in the UK to France. Things ain’t perfect here but we are light years ahead of France and most of Europe, they are literally 20 or 30 years behind us in most of Europe.

I think the difference is France us that there is still an older generation who were personally involved in the war in Algeria with huge casualties and an urban warfarin campaign much more violent than Northern Ireland.

Whilst there is racism about immigrants to the UK it’s not exacerbated by recent memories of a full scale war.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #58 on: July 1, 2023, 08:30:51 pm »
Managed to cancel trip. EasyJet were surprisingly helpful.

Air B n B and the host are being awkward though.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #59 on: July 1, 2023, 08:31:22 pm »

Going in 3 weeks  :-\
Believer

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 1, 2023, 08:34:19 pm »

You should be free to cancel anytime up until a few weeks before, no ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #61 on: July 1, 2023, 08:35:21 pm »

During the riots in Liverpool a decade or so back, my wife had to go up to Liverpool with a couple of her colleagues.  She was in the Radisson blue (or one near it), her work mate flew in from the US was staying for longer …

They rented him a flat… Were riots outside it… (think it was on allerton road?). How they laughed! 

Well.. he didn’t, but my wife did
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #62 on: July 1, 2023, 09:06:07 pm »
Going in 3 weeks  :-\
I’m there now, flew in this afternoon. Was getting slightly nervous about it but there’s not a hint of bother or tension anywhere I’ve been. Saw one police car but that’s it. Obviously I’m not heading out to the banlieues if I can help it.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #63 on: July 1, 2023, 09:15:03 pm »
You should be free to cancel anytime up until a few weeks before, no ?

Depends on hosts policy.

Don’t feel comfortable going if I will be on edge the whole time.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 1, 2023, 10:36:20 pm »
During the riots in Liverpool a decade or so back, my wife had to go up to Liverpool with a couple of her colleagues.  She was in the Radisson blue (or one near it), her work mate flew in from the US was staying for longer …

They rented him a flat… Were riots outside it… (think it was on allerton road?). How they laughed! 

Well.. he didn’t, but my wife did

Riots on Allerton Road?

Sure it wasn’t a couple of yummy mummies arguing over a parking space? ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #65 on: July 1, 2023, 10:42:35 pm »
Riots on Allerton Road?

Sure it wasn’t a couple of yummy mummies arguing over a parking space? ;D
I may have the road wrong to be honest… long time ago …
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 2, 2023, 02:17:35 am »
I may have the road wrong to be honest… long time ago …
There were definitely problems on Smithdown Road and Lawrence Road that year. Riots, looting, arson etc...

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #67 on: July 2, 2023, 09:32:24 am »
I have never liked him. The fact that he's stood against Marine Le Pen gives people the perception that he's politically to the left and an all round "nice chap" but I don't think that's the reality

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 2, 2023, 09:34:37 am »
I have never liked him. The fact that he's stood against Marine Le Pen gives people the perception that he's politically to the left and an all round "nice chap" but I don't think that's the reality

What was it South Park said “A choice between a turd sandwich and a douchebag”.

Mind you imagine the response if Le Pen had got in…..

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #69 on: July 2, 2023, 09:43:27 am »

We were in New Zealand during the last big earthquake. Due to "the exceptional circumstances", the ferry company (that operates between the North and South Island) gave us a full refund on our non-refundable tickets and our Air B n B hosts gave us a full refund on our non-refundable accommodation booking. Air B n B proved extremely difficult to contact as circumstances were changing, they were very unhelpful and they also kept their cut of the unused accommodation booking. It's the first and last time we dealt with them. Won't touch them with a barge pole.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #70 on: July 2, 2023, 09:48:58 am »
Depends on hosts policy.

Don’t feel comfortable going if I will be on edge the whole time.

I am glad you've managed to sort it Nick. As you say no point in going if you couldn't enjoy it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 2, 2023, 09:50:59 am »
What was it South Park said “A choice between a turd sandwich and a douchebag”.

Mind you imagine the response if Le Pen had got in…..
And that's it. It was Macron, or, Le Pen. One - even if he is to the right, a bit strange, and what few here would choose in an ideal world - is still within the relatively normal range of politics. And one is an extreme right-winger. That was the choice, and Macron only squeaked home when we would hope for Le Pen to be swept aside and assigned to history. That's France. But there is much to like about France too.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 2, 2023, 11:08:09 am »
And that's it. It was Macron, or, Le Pen. One - even if he is to the right, a bit strange, and what few here would choose in an ideal world - is still within the relatively normal range of politics. And one is an extreme right-winger. That was the choice, and Macron only squeaked home when we would hope for Le Pen to be swept aside and assigned to history. That's France. But there is much to like about France too.

And even though the next Presidential elections are four years away you can bet your bottom dollar these riots will play right in to Le Pen’s hands.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #73 on: July 2, 2023, 12:07:24 pm »

I cannot, however, get behind the minority in this case who have used the tragic death of a seemingly innocent young man to justify terrorizing, robbing and looting communities all over France. It's the ordinary citizens who are suffering. The police will simply enjoy cracking heads and go home to their safe neighbourhoods afterwards.

I don't think they give a shit about their neighbourhoods. There are plenty of shit holes around paris. Some very rough and extremely poor neighbourhoods. Crime is pretty rife and governments do not give a shit about them. Most of the rioters probably don't give a shit about a boy being shot and see it as an opportunity to riot and loot.

I always remember someone telling me this. If you treat people like c*nts, don't be surprised when they start acting like c*nts.

I don't agree with rioting, looting etc but I am not surprised by the behaviour. If these people have got nothing to lose why would they care. Until we have a society where everyone has equal opportunities these things are always going to happen. You can't just fuck off a certain segment of society and forget about them and hope they go away.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2023, 12:10:08 pm by Fruity »
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 2, 2023, 02:01:57 pm »
Anyone who witnessed what happened in Paris for the champions league final will know something is very wrong with their society. You had a situation where it was obvious the security forces of the state had lost control of the area in and around the stadium and it was only due to our fans that a disaster didn't happen.

How is it fixed i don't know as you have a section of their population who just don't care about the law or the area they live in for various reasons. The nightmare scenario is Le Pen getting in but right now i don't see Macron as strong or smart enough to fix the current issues before that happens.

Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 2, 2023, 02:13:15 pm »
I don't think they give a shit about their neighbourhoods. There are plenty of shit holes around paris. Some very rough and extremely poor neighbourhoods. Crime is pretty rife and governments do not give a shit about them. Most of the rioters probably don't give a shit about a boy being shot and see it as an opportunity to riot and loot.

I always remember someone telling me this. If you treat people like c*nts, don't be surprised when they start acting like c*nts.

I don't agree with rioting, looting etc but I am not surprised by the behaviour. If these people have got nothing to lose why would they care. Until we have a society where everyone has equal opportunities these things are always going to happen. You can't just fuck off a certain segment of society and forget about them and hope they go away.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #76 on: July 2, 2023, 02:27:31 pm »

qu'ils mangent de la brioche
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: July 2, 2023, 08:24:34 pm »
Seems like these lads are only succeeding in promoting anti immigrant attitudes in France. Their lives will be an awful lot worse when the likes of Le Pen come to power.. and they will come to power. These riots guarantee it.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 2, 2023, 10:49:05 pm »

I think tourists have a certain romantic view of Paris and the authorities seemingly work very hard to protect that image.  I've stayed with an aunt-in-law in the Paris suburbs a few times (whilst gormlessly soaking up the sights of Paris...) and I think the levels of poverty there must be amongst the worst in Europe, certainly relative poverty compared to the centre of the city.

I completely agree that most of those rioting and looting have no particular feelings towards Nahel but are taking advantage of the chaos.

It's not all that long ago - 2011 - that we had similar riots and looting across English cities after the shooting of Mark Duggan.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #79 on: July 3, 2023, 01:20:48 am »
In my experience the French police leave local people alone when they are law abiding. They are only interested in the scumbags. As it should be.

Those poverty stricken Paris and Marseilles suburbs were once award winning new neighbourhoods with tree lined avenues and schools, libraries, public areas, butchers, bakers, bars, coffee shops. They were good places to live for new immigrants to France. Much better than equivalent places in the UK. What has happened to them since is down to the people who live there, not the people of France who housed them in the first place.