Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius Arrested Over Fatal Shooting of Reeva Steenkamp  (Read 149295 times)

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Oscar Pistorius Arrested Over Fatal Shooting of Reeva Steenkamp
« Reply #1800 on: July 8, 2016, 06:33:19 pm »
Anything concrete on record at the time he got his license? my point is simply to counter your assertion that authorities should have known this was going to to happen and denied him a license at the time he applied. I just don't think they could have reasonably, nothing more nothing less.
That is not where this started when you said "You can't go to prison for being an idiot" though is it?
When I pointed out that if you act like an idiot with a firearm you very certainly can go to jail you began hopping around all over the show and changing the point.
Edit - Just need to add the fact that under South African law a license can be refused for a whole litany of reasons some of which include intemparite character or habits, unsound mind, unfit character and a simple lack of need for a firearm. In fact stats show that over 50% of applications are rejected.
What you do not need to be rejected is a criminal record.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2016, 06:42:12 pm by marko35s »

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1801 on: July 8, 2016, 06:56:07 pm »
The truth is the guy had the perfect mix of anxiety issues, irrational paranoia over crime and recklessness with fire arms for this clusterfuck to happen rather than willful malice imo.
That maybe your truth, but OP wasn't convicted of murder for being "reckless". He deliberately shot and killed his girlfriend through a bathroom door.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1802 on: July 8, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »
That is not where this started when you said "You can't go to prison for being an idiot" though is it?
When I pointed out that if you act like an idiot with a firearm you very certainly can go to jail you began hopping around all over the show and changing the point.
Edit - Just need to add the fact that under South African law a license can be refused for a whole litany of reasons some of which include intemparite character or habits, unsound mind, unfit character and a simple lack of need for a firearm. In fact stats show that over 50% of applications are rejected.
What you do not need to be rejected is a criminal record.

I was merely pointing out that his reckless idiocy doesn't show he's a threat to society in of itself. I then responded to another poster on another point which you then decided to get involved in so I didn't flop flop anything. My final point is that OP was granted a license in 2010. He was briefly denied one due to a spurious assault allegation for which he was never charged and then accepted upon appeal. The authorties found nothing in the litany of reasons you mention to reasonably deny him a license and thus couldn't have forseen what was to happen.

Look I can see this descending into some tit for tat thing I'm not interested in getting into and I'd hope you feel the same. I'd rather just end the discussion here on reasonably good terms.

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
« Reply #1803 on: July 8, 2016, 07:05:07 pm »
I was merely pointing out that his reckless idiocy doesn't show he's a threat to society in of itself. I then responded to another poster on another point which you then decided to get involved in so I didn't flop flop anything. My final point is that OP was granted a license in 2010. He was briefly denied one due to a spurious assault allegation for which he was never charged and then accepted upon appeal. The authorties found nothing in the litany of reasons you mention to reasonably deny him a license and thus couldn't have forseen what was to happen.

Look I can see this descending into some tit for tat thing I'm not interested in getting into and I'd hope you feel the same. I'd rather just end the discussion here on reasonably good terms.
Fair enough.
Although I'm guessing he may struggle for a renewal...

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1804 on: July 9, 2016, 07:51:31 pm »
I'm guessing he may struggle for a renewal...
I dunno. Depends which judge decides his application?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1805 on: November 24, 2017, 08:40:36 am »
Sentence extended to 13.5 years. Minimum 15 term for murder less time served.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:11 am »
That's a bit more reasonable
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1807 on: November 24, 2017, 08:56:51 am »
As long as he's not out in half that for good behaviour.  Still think it's a sickeningly short sentence for pre-meditated murder of somebody locked in a bathroom who had lived in fear and just wanted their life back.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: November 24, 2017, 10:03:21 am »
As long as he's not out in half that for good behaviour.  Still think it's a sickeningly short sentence for pre-meditated murder of somebody locked in a bathroom who had lived in fear and just wanted their life back.

I didn't think he was found guilty of premeditated murder, was he?

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #1809 on: November 24, 2017, 10:46:14 am »
A much better sentence, but still not long enough.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1810 on: November 24, 2017, 06:51:54 pm »
I didn't think he was found guilty of premeditated murder, was he?

I'd have to read the thread again.  My memory of the trial is along the lines of whoever was behind the door was irrelevant - he shot into a confined space several times with intent, so that made it premeditated. 

He claimed he thought it was a burglar.  My own opinion is that he knew it was Reeva in there and that she was getting ready to leave him.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1811 on: November 24, 2017, 09:17:42 pm »
I'd have to read the thread again.  My memory of the trial is along the lines of whoever was behind the door was irrelevant - he shot into a confined space several times with intent, so that made it premeditated. 

He claimed he thought it was a burglar.  My own opinion is that he knew it was Reeva in there and that she was getting ready to leave him.

Said at the time of the trial, you wake up and your partner isn't next to you in bed and you hear a noise in the bathroom you immediately think they've gone to loo and roll over and go back to sleep. You do not get up, get the gun and fire through a locked door.

Only he knows why he murdered her, but I've no doubt it was a premeditated murder and the whole burglar lie was something he believed the law would buy. Should have got life.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1812 on: November 24, 2023, 11:35:31 am »
Oscar Pistorius to be released from prison 10 years after killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp
Parole Board approves former Paralympic champion's bid to be released early

Oscar Pistorius will be released from prison after nearly a decade behind bars for murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp after winning his case at a parole board hearing.

The former Paralympic champion shot and killed his partner in 2013, and was jailed for 13 years for her murder in 2016.

Today, he was granted parole, and will be released on January 5. He will be given therapy for anger management and will remain under supervision until the end of his sentence.

Rob Matthews, spokesperson for Ms Steenjamp’s mother June, addessed the media after the decision. He said: “The parole board are of the opinion that he met the criteria for release on parole and I believe June will be fine with that, but I can’t read inside her mind, I can only interpret what she said.”

It was the 37-year-old’s second bid for parole after a hearing in March wrongly ruled him ineligible for early release due to an error over when his prison sentence officially started.

More here...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-parole-prison-murder-b2452817.html

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1813 on: November 24, 2023, 11:38:38 am »
So, seven years and a bit of loose change is "almost" 10 years in prison now? I would have thought anything over 9 years would be almost 10 years, but there ya go.

But yeah, anger management is what he needs.  ::)

Popcorn's Art

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1814 on: November 24, 2023, 12:12:41 pm »
If you're ever going to murder someone, I guess South Africa is the place to do it!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1815 on: November 24, 2023, 12:49:23 pm »
A vile, spoilt brat of a scumbag.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1816 on: November 24, 2023, 01:11:46 pm »
Really hope this scumbag disappears from the public eye forever, but I suspect we'll end up with another fucking Rittenhouse.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1817 on: November 24, 2023, 01:42:01 pm »
I think she was going to leave him...she was probably sick of his bullshit.
They had a row that night, he got violent or really angry, she ran into the bathroom, locked the door, he tried breaking it down with a cricket bat..said if you don't come out i'll get my gun and blow it open, she probably said fuck off stumpy or something, and he decides fuck it, you're not leaving me and shoots her through the door.

He is full of shit. He says I shouted through the door and screamed at the burglar....bollocks, you would have heard your gf calling back saying it's me.
He says when I left the bed  I told Reeva to get down and call the police...why would you not think it odd she didn't reply saying ok love.

The whole thing stinks and it is an act.
Kill the humourless

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1818 on: November 24, 2023, 02:19:03 pm »
A friend of mine has been having a spat with Mark Williams-Thompson on Twitter, over the release of the murderer