Author Topic: Steve Earle  (Read 1811 times)

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Steve Earle
« on: July 7, 2006, 03:22:56 pm »
I know he's been going for years but has anyone heard much by Steve Earle?

I have downloaded an awesome track called 'Johnny Come Lately' which features backing instrumental from the Pogues.

Definitely want to listen to more of his work.

Any recommendations?

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
Re: Steve Earle
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2006, 03:25:18 pm »
I've got a CD of his called "El Corazon" which is pretty good. Lots of his early stuff was quite political, would like to hear a bit more of it.
Legacy fan

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2006, 03:38:13 pm »
I've got a CD of his called "El Corazon" which is pretty good. Lots of his early stuff was quite political, would like to hear a bit more of it.
Cheers DBD

That album actually gets bloody good reviews (on Amazon at least).

Looks like he's led a chequed life and 'El Corazon' is AFTER the drugs and prison stage!!

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2006, 03:41:24 pm »
In my little world, Steve Earle's work can be divided into three periods.

For the best of his early, pre-addiction period , check out "Copperhead Road".

Then for the best of his clean-and-outta-jail work, you have to have his three best albums which are:

"El Corazon" -- worth the money just for his duet with Siobhan Maher-Kennedy (ex-River City People) on "Poison Lovers"

"I Feel Alright" -- complete with a duet with Lucinda Williams on "You're Still Standing There ")

"Transcendental Blues"

From the same period, I'd also recommend looking out for his duet with the marvellous Iris DeMent ("I'm Still In Love With You") which is on a album he recorded with the Del McCoury Band.

The last and current period is his too self-righteous-for-words period. I'm not too enamoured of this really. But the recommended release has to be "The Revolution Starts Here".

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2006, 03:59:17 pm »
Thanks for this^^^^^^^

I had a feeling you might have some input into this thread. ;D

Will check out Copperhead Road this weekend.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2006, 04:13:45 pm »
Sweetheart.....nice summary, and right on!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2006, 04:43:07 pm »
Copperhead Road is an excellent album, hightly recommended.  Heard Steve Earle and Lloyd Cole for the first time on the same day in 1985.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 7, 2006, 04:43:33 pm »
only know three of his songs

The Devils Right Hand, from Brokeback Mountain
The Revolution Starts Here, from Faranheit 9/11
Copperhead Road

and they are all class! Have been meaning to get more
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 7, 2006, 05:07:17 pm »
his biography is called "hardcore troubador" mad junky thru the years and its a bit long.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2006, 09:26:40 pm »
I love Copperhead road, Guitar Town is pretty good too...

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:12 am »
This thread definitely needs reviving.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gu25JZL9l08" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Gu25JZL9l08</a>

Catching up with season two of Treme, nice to see Steve Earle make an appearance.

America's Sweetheart's post above from 2006 is on the money, and he's still making great albums. There's very few contemporary artists I'd wax lyrical about, Steve Earle's one of them.

Offline mer_socal

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 06:08:26 am »
Cooperhead Road is a classic, great album!! The deluxe edition of it released in 2008 includes a few additional songs inclucing "Guitar Town" one of my favorites
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:13:02 am by mer_socal »
This thread seems to make you all act like dickheads. Get a fucking grip.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:58:45 am »
Catching up with season two of Treme, nice to see Steve Earle make an appearance.

I had of course heard of him, but I hadn't really listened to his stuff until today (except his I Feel Alright closing off Season 2 of The Wire).  I'd heard "Galway Girl" in the Magners commercial, needless to say his version is miles ahead. His Copperhead Road stuff was a bit hit and miss for me but some of his other stuff is absolutely sublime:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4cNiEplXuM?" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p4cNiEplXuM?</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4WOys7sWvU?" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p4WOys7sWvU?</a>

Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 09:24:48 pm »
Plays a drug counsellor in "the wire"
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40