Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1414874 times)

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title, Chasing Manchester City
« Reply #240 on: November 2, 2018, 12:29:45 pm »
It's crazy that we're even having this discussion. We haven't won the league in almost 30 years. Came close, maybe twice, in '08-'09 and the second half of the 2013-14 season and are only 10 games into this one. Why is this a thing? Stop doing this to yourself and each other.  If this is March and we're within 5 points of City, maybe then we can have all this angst. It's ridiculous that we're hand wringing this early. I'm 49 this year and I'm just enjoying the ride. I think we all should.

I hope Klopp has got the whole club focused on winning one match at a time. Imagine if the players started over thinking it like us? They'd start tripping over their own bootlaces.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2018, 12:32:43 pm by The_Nomad »
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: November 2, 2018, 12:45:58 pm »
Someone told me ManC have had 6 CS on the bounce in the league. That's crazy and show's what we are up against. Teams are not having much joy against them both ways. Ideally away games is where they will lose it, and i'm hoping that more teams will be able to play like Wolves.

I think it helps when the likes of Fernandinho and Kompany are immune to yellow and red cards.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #242 on: November 2, 2018, 12:55:15 pm »
It's crazy that we're even having this discussion. We haven't won the league in almost 30 years. Came close, maybe twice, in '08-'09 and the second half of the 2013-14 season and are only 10 games into this one. Why is this a thing? Stop doing this to yourself and each other.  If this is March and we're within 5 points of City, maybe then we can have all this angst. It's ridiculous that we're hand wringing this early. I'm 49 this year and I'm just enjoying the ride. I think we all should.

I hope Klopp has got the whole club focused on winning one match at a time. Imagine if the players started over thinking it like us? They'd start tripping over their own bootlaces.

I'm a little older and well remember the decades when we routinely lifted the title come May. Like you, I'm just enjoying the ride. In a way, I think this thread shows just how far we have come in recent years. When we consider where we were when we had the two cowboys in charge and where we are now, it's remarkable. Finally being in a place where we can actually compete is something to celebrate and talk about. I dare say that for many of our fans who weren't around when we picked up leagues most years, our current situation is extremely exciting, and so is speculating how it might pan out over the season. As I said though, I'm just enjoying the ride, as you are. Too many false dawns have come and gone for me to do anything else, really. I also buy right into the old LFC philosophy of strictly focusing on one game at a time. Focus on winning your next game everytime, and if you are good enough, the season looks after itself. That was always the philosophy at Anfield.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #243 on: November 2, 2018, 01:04:43 pm »
I really appreciate both this point and the OP. From my perspective, I've focused a lot on how strong City are because it helps me to keep things in perspective - namely not to be despondent if we don't happen to win the league, by understanding that, actually, it's never been more difficult to do so. This doesn't negatively affect my enjoyment or support at all, in fact it's quite the opposite - it's a release of pressure that I find helps me to take each game as it comes. That said, I totally get that turning every game into a must-win, turning this into a race where we cannot afford to stumble even the tiniest amount, is likely to make everyone edgy when we should really be enjoying this team.

And what a team to enjoy. At 37 years old, I wasn't paying close enough attention to Liverpool to have really appreciated our great 80s teams. My fandom really started with Evans' side. I can safely say that this team of Klopp's is already the best I've ever seen. It's better in attack than the best of Evans and Rodgers, and it's better in defense even than peak Houllier and Rafa. And this is without having spent top fees on attackers (like Evans could) or playing a defensive system (as Houllier, in particular, did). Furthermore, we're still yet to consistently see a Klopp midfield at full capacity.

We're an increasingly complete team from front to back, with squad depth really looking like the only glaringly obvious area we could improve. We're at the point where any replacements for the first 14 or so would have to be world-class to improve on what we already have. We've got great team spirit and a real balance between competition for places and unity of purpose and enjoyment in each other's company and the work we do. For the first time in my life we've got a team that isn't rotting from the head down, but rather where the type of professionalism, ruthlessness and ambition at the very top has filtered down to all those below - mainly by hiring the right people, and giving them both the structure and the autonomy to excel at what they do. This process has now gone far enough that we're in a position to do things like hire a part-time throw-in coach to try and give us marginal gains in niche areas, to try and push the boundaries to find new edges to have over our rivals.

On the pitch we're a joy to watch - obviously when we're in full flow but, newly this season, our obduracy has been something akin to the best Italian sides of the 90s, where if we make the decision to try and control the match by sitting back and shutting the game down, what that means isn't 45 minutes of terror as we desperately struggle to put our fingers in a bursting dam, but rather a total shutting down of the match where one team makes ineffectual passes in it's own 2/3rds of the pitch, trying increasingly desperately to breach a two-banked wall of red in front of them, which retains the capacity to metamorphose almost instantly into a scarlet cobra striking unnervingly at our opponent's vulnerable spots.

We've shown already this season, in just ten games, the capacity to destroy teams, to hold leads, to win tight games with late goals, to scrap for the points when we're not playing well, and we've done this against both the best and the worst, at home and away. We're the very definition of a complete team - and we still have more to come. If we're a six-gear supercar, we've hardly had to go beyond our 4th to gain the record points we have, thus saving valuable fuel for when we really do need to run ourselves into the red for a while. Psychologically, we've gone from looking weak, to flawed, to strong to, increasingly, iron-willed. Players like Alisson and Van Dijk wouldn't lose their cool if they were playing in the midst of a zombie attack. Players like Henderson and Mane wouldn't lose their combativeness if they were up against Godzilla. Gini looks more and more like he's playing his own game at his own pace, one which every other player is forced to adapt to, rather than the player who sometimes seemed on the periphery of events.

This is where sport can be cruel - because it's defined by results, by runs and ultimately, by trophies. But we shouldn't let trophies define this team. This is once-in-a-generation football that we're witnessing and we'll be lucky to see it's like again. Enjoy it while it lasts, because football this good never does. Not forever.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: November 2, 2018, 01:07:10 pm »
I think it helps when the likes of Fernandinho and Kompany are immune to yellow and red cards.
Just like Barca under Pep (and probably Bayern, I didn't watch them much!) City are experts at bundling opposition players over before a counter-attack can be launched.  Being the wrong side of the ball and almost falling onto the opposition, enough to impede but not as blatant as a shirt pull that results in a yellow card.  The opposition are usually so grateful for the respite the free-kick brings that they don't get in the ref's ear to get his cards out.

To be fair we do the same with Firmino and Milner but City do it all across the midfield and forward line.  It's why so few teams escape their own third in order to expose the vast emptiness in the remaining two thirds of the pitch.

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #245 on: November 2, 2018, 01:12:29 pm »
I'm a little older and well remember the decades when we routinely lifted the title come May. Like you, I'm just enjoying the ride. In a way, I think this thread shows just how far we have come in recent years. When we consider where we were when we had the two cowboys in charge and where we are now, it's remarkable. Finally being in a place where we can actually compete is something to celebrate and talk about. I dare say that for many of our fans who weren't around when we picked up leagues most years, our current situation is extremely exciting, and so is speculating how it might pan out over the season. As I said though, I'm just enjoying the ride, as you are. Too many false dawns have come and gone for me to do anything else, really. I also buy right into the old LFC philosophy of strictly focusing on one game at a time. Focus on winning your next game everytime, and if you are good enough, the season looks after itself. That was always the philosophy at Anfield.

Indeed I can understand the excitement of both young and not-so-young.  ;D I just don't think it's time to micro-analyse the permutations this early. It can't be helped I know. I don't live in the UK and can only hope that this over thinking doesn't start infecting the terraces on match day as the match goes on and it's 0-0 or we're trailing 0-1. We remember the boos when we drew to go top of the table back in 08-09. I really do NOT want to see that again. Klopp has done an amazing job not just with the squad but at getting Anfield to back and cheer the players no matter what kind of match it's turning out to be. That turn around cannot go to waste just because us supporters start getting anxious and edgy. For those lucky enough to be at the matches, just keep cheering till you're hoarse while I do the same thousands of miles away.  :D
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: November 2, 2018, 01:14:07 pm »
Just like Barca under Pep (and probably Bayern, I didn't watch them much!) City are experts at bundling opposition players over before a counter-attack can be launched.  Being the wrong side of the ball and almost falling onto the opposition, enough to impede but not as blatant as a shirt pull that results in a yellow card.  The opposition are usually so grateful for the respite the free-kick brings that they don't get in the ref's ear to get his cards out.

To be fair we do the same with Firmino and Milner but City do it all across the midfield and forward line.  It's why so few teams escape their own third in order to expose the vast emptiness in the remaining two thirds of the pitch.

Yeah, Firmino pretty good at that, although I've never seen him do four or five yellow/red card challenges a game or do a flying kick on an opponent and and not even get booked as Man City players have done in recent weeks.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: November 2, 2018, 04:47:20 pm »

To be fair we do the same with Firmino and Milner but City do it all across the midfield and forward line.  It's why so few teams escape their own third in order to expose the vast emptiness in the remaining t

two thirds of the pitch.

You're absolutely on the nose with this mate. Fernandinho is the best in the league at that. Was a very very evident tactic Monday night. Pep is by all accounts  big on winning the ball quick and launching a quick fire attack, he knows what it can do, so if he stops others doing it....
Its a big factor in why their defensive record is so good. It's smart

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #248 on: November 2, 2018, 04:49:40 pm »
I think it was Palace and Spurs (remember seeing an article last week)

Cheers. Putting the pressure on, even back then!

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: November 2, 2018, 08:36:28 pm »
We go out to win every game we play.  We are on target for 98 points at present at 2.6 points per game.  If we average 2.3 points per game for the remainder of the season we are still looking at 90 points which is a remarkable achievement whatever City do.  All we can do is keep our momentum going.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: November 2, 2018, 11:06:48 pm »
When I ponder what separates us from City now, the main thing for me is they have way more options when it comes to creativity in the midfield. They have a little more depth when it comes to the front 3 too, but not sure we are miles apart there.

The things I would do if it meant we could get Modric!

I have high hopes for Keita in this regard, but we could really do with a Fekir type. Only thing we are missing really.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #251 on: November 2, 2018, 11:12:32 pm »

When I ponder what separates us from City now, the main thing for me is they have way more options when it comes to creativity in the midfield. They have a little more depth when it comes to the front 3 too, but not sure we are miles apart there.

I have high hopes for Keita in this regard, but we could really do with a Fekir type. Only thing we are missing really.

Ponder!......Fuck-in ponder?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #252 on: November 2, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
It’s also hard because the only injuries that could possibly hurt their points are Ederson or Fernandinho
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #253 on: November 2, 2018, 11:44:10 pm »

Klopp went out an bought an entirely new midfield. Given our experience with how he beds players in, and what they do after being properly bedded, I think it is fair to assume by January the midfield will be a few levels up on now
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #254 on: November 3, 2018, 12:34:44 am »
It’s also hard because the only injuries that could possibly hurt their points are Ederson or Fernandinho

Yeah Fernandinho is the one.... completely pivotal to them and no replacement or even close in their squad ... get the voodoo going people

Offline rise of the rest

• Kemlynite
  • Straw hat pillock
« Reply #255 on: November 3, 2018, 12:47:55 am »
Id love to see someone break down wijnaldums game

He's an astonishingly good player

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: November 3, 2018, 01:55:31 am »
Klopp shrugs off stress of Liverpool's title chase and hails "probably most exciting season for years"

Boss whose Reds can go top for 24 hours with Saturday win at Arsenal refusing to worry about how good Man City are

By David Maddock

Klopp insists his club can't fear Manchester City perfection... and should instead simply enjoy “the most exciting title race in years”.

Liverpool's unbeaten start to the season has been almost faultless, dropping points only to champions City and Chelsea, and yet they are not top, and have three more of the big guns snapping at their heels.

As the Reds head to Arsenal for Saturday evening's top four showdown, that tense race brings massive pressure in every game. But their German coach is adamant he has seen enough from his side to trust they can take the Premier League fight down to the very end.

“It's like it is, and hopefully it stays like this until the end of the season. It is probably the most exciting season for years,” Klopp said with a smile.

And asked if he believes Liverpool's almost-perfect start can continue, he added: “Yes, but it doesn't mean it will be like that. But who should I doubt in that team at the moment?

“They all try everything and it's not my job to look at each detail and think. 'He could be a little bit better'. because they are all human beings. We are in a good place, and we have to see it is just exciting.

“I am a football fan as well and for a football fan it's great. It will probably be a fight at both ends of the table until the last match-day. It is our job to be ready for that. At the moment it looks like we are ready, but we have to prove that many times this season.”

But the manager has told his side they can't think about leaders City's incredible form, and their ability to keep winning virtually at will... because that will only induce a pressure they can't cope with.

“For us, it is not important what other teams are doing, only if we play them. We are really focused on us, really focused on us, and that's the only way I know it will work,” he explained.

“It doesn’t make sense to think like that, because it puts you in a situation where you feel like you are not in charge. You react on what they do. They win and you think about the pressure being more on us because they have won already.”

Instead, Klopp will rely on his side to keep doing what they have done – and he believes they are better equipped than ever to deal with the pressure of matching City: “Last year a few teams played really good seasons but there was no chance to catch City because, by October-November last year, they were clear.

“That's why I say, 'So far, so good.'

“We don't feel satisfaction. We don't feel, 'Wow! We are really good'.

“'We won. Cool, let's go again' — that's exactly how it is. We have learned to deal with that after maybe a few years where it was not that obvious that the players can cope with that situation. We have grown together.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/-klopp-shrugs-stress-liverpools-13524826?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: November 3, 2018, 05:40:57 am »

Ponder!......Fuck-in ponder?

I was going to go with “ruminate on” but thought that may be a little much...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: November 3, 2018, 05:44:16 am »
Klopp went out an bought an entirely new midfield. Given our experience with how he beds players in, and what they do after being properly bedded, I think it is fair to assume by January the midfield will be a few levels up on now

I hope so. It is fair enough that it takes a while to settle. Klopp’s system must be hard to get to grips with. I have faith that Keita will be truly special when he is properly integrated. I do think the next buy should be a number 10 type and ideally we would have a fourth top class option for the forward three.

Very difficult to improve on what we have now of course. The better we get the more difficult it is to improve.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: November 3, 2018, 08:13:06 am »
You're absolutely on the nose with this mate. Fernandinho is the best in the league at that. Was a very very evident tactic Monday night. Pep is by all accounts  big on winning the ball quick and launching a quick fire attack, he knows what it can do, so if he stops others doing it....
Its a big factor in why their defensive record is so good. It's smart

Yes I've started noticing it more and more. It's perhaps why we have greater joy than most teams against them - we're not shy of playing the ball forward to Mo and Mane quickly and bypassing that midfield area if we need to.

Offline rise of the rest

• Kemlynite
  • Straw hat pillock
« Reply #260 on: November 3, 2018, 08:43:49 am »

Jesus seems to have tailed off a bit, I pegged him to push on this season

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: November 4, 2018, 10:36:02 am »
I've not read the entire thread but just looking at our side has got me thinking

A lot on here are having a go at some for not being ecstatic after yesterdays result and in some ways I can understand as it can be viewed in a way that makes anyone disappointed seem ungrateful but the bigger point for me is look how far we have come! We've seen some tough times here, management issues, ownership issues, top players leaving, the unthinkable almost happening and us almost going under... You look at the contrast for all of that to where we are now, one of the best managers in the world, great owners, top players stating how much they love being here, everyone pulling in the same direction and big names turning down other top sides to come and play under Klopp. City are a great side, Guardiola is building something exceptional there and going toe to toe with them is no easy task, when you look at their squad, the fact we are competing with them tells you all you need to know about how far we have come.

I was looking at our squad earlier and the thing that struck is me not only how good of a squad we have built but how well balanced it is. We have built a strong side full of talented players, its at the point where barring a mass of injuries, its difficult to pick the best side for a lot of games which shows the depth we have.

We are currently top of the league with only 5 league goals conceded, our front 3 still looking a little stop start and new players still settling and getting used to our style of play. City may go and win today and overtake us but there is so much for us to be optimistic about.

Its also very exciting when you look at what could be still to come, we reached a CL final last season and everyone took notice of our progression, this is being shown by players reactions to being linked with us. We are doing well in our champions league group again and look in a strong position to make it out of one of the toughest groups in the competition.

Whether we go on to win the title this season remains to be seen, but we've come a long long way from what might have been and we're in an incredibly strong position not just for this season, but for the future too.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: November 4, 2018, 10:56:58 am »
Well said
bollocks

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #264 on: November 4, 2018, 11:52:33 am »
I've not read the entire thread but just looking at our side has got me thinking

A lot on here are having a go at some for not being ecstatic after yesterdays result and in some ways I can understand as it can be viewed in a way that makes anyone disappointed seem ungrateful but the bigger point for me is look how far we have come! We've seen some tough times here, management issues, ownership issues, top players leaving, the unthinkable almost happening and us almost going under... You look at the contrast for all of that to where we are now, one of the best managers in the world, great owners, top players stating how much they love being here, everyone pulling in the same direction and big names turning down other top sides to come and play under Klopp. City are a great side, Guardiola is building something exceptional there and going toe to toe with them is no easy task, when you look at their squad, the fact we are competing with them tells you all you need to know about how far we have come.

I was looking at our squad earlier and the thing that struck is me not only how good of a squad we have built but how well balanced it is. We have built a strong side full of talented players, its at the point where barring a mass of injuries, its difficult to pick the best side for a lot of games which shows the depth we have.

We are currently top of the league with only 5 league goals conceded, our front 3 still looking a little stop start and new players still settling and getting used to our style of play. City may go and win today and overtake us but there is so much for us to be optimistic about.

Its also very exciting when you look at what could be still to come, we reached a CL final last season and everyone took notice of our progression, this is being shown by players reactions to being linked with us. We are doing well in our champions league group again and look in a strong position to make it out of one of the toughest groups in the competition.

Whether we go on to win the title this season remains to be seen, but we've come a long long way from what might have been and we're in an incredibly strong position not just for this season, but for the future too.

A great perspective.  :wellin
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #265 on: November 4, 2018, 12:15:22 pm »
If City bribes Uefa and Fifa, why wouldn`t they bribe others? Like the FA?

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: November 4, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »

Spot on! We are a bloody good team.

We improve every year and we are always in the race for the top honours. Sometimes you just have to stand back and smile at the progress we have made and the entertainment we have been lucky to enough to be given by this team. And a lot more to come too.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: November 4, 2018, 12:51:15 pm »
Couldn't agree more Keith. The thing is there are so many things to consider when it comes to progression

Looking at our season so far, I can only see one game we deserved to lose and we've only lost 2 of them. We've addressed the most pressing issue with the side (the defence and GK) and the current issues are things that are going to come with time.

The front 3 are too good not to get goals, the defence has been excellent and we actually have decent back ups in place should we pick up injuries. The midfield is unsettled by a number of factors, Keita and Fabinho are still settling in as is Shaqiri, Henderson is of course currently injured but looks likely to return soon, Ox will be a welcome return at the end of the season and as Shaqiri gets more time here he will continue to improve... which is great as he's already contributing consistently.

The Fekir deal never came off but you only have to look at the fact he was so intent on coming here from HIS team to see the position we are currently in.

We have our weaknesses but you only have to look at the way we are now viewed to see the progression under Klopp and its only been 3 years.  Going from looking like we were falling away from the top 4 to european finals, big name signings and even opposition fans talking us up is exceptional progress and Klopp has earned our trust to have faith in him to fix whatever problems we are experiencing on the field. The way I see it time will only allow for us to remedy our current biggest issues which is a scary thought. We're not losing and we have a few gears to go up once players settle and we make the necessary tactical tweaks as and when required and by the end of this weekend we can be a max of 2 points off a side who's second choice players would get into most sides, that's something to sit up and take note of, and it seems the rest of the football world are doing exactly that

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: November 4, 2018, 12:53:16 pm »
Right now we have the defensive solidity of Rafa's peak sides and the attacking ability of Klopp together.

It's fantastic to see and they will be better, as the season goes on, I can only see this side getting better with Keita,Fabinho and Shaqiri getting better

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: November 4, 2018, 01:00:43 pm »
Anyone who is not enjoying this ride needs to give up footy, this is going to be a hell of a season.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #270 on: November 4, 2018, 02:02:00 pm »
Anyone who is not enjoying this ride needs to give up footy, this is going to be a hell of a season.
Agreed. And stupid me has realised we still have city Vs Chelsea to enjoy
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: November 4, 2018, 03:28:31 pm »
Right now we have the defensive solidity of Rafa's peak sides and the attacking ability of Klopp together.

It's fantastic to see and they will be better, as the season goes on, I can only see this side getting better with Keita,Fabinho and Shaqiri getting better
Unfortunately Man City have even more defensive solidity and much greater attacking ability at the moment and clearly their midfield is far superior to ours even without De Bruyne. When you watch them play it doesn't seem like they will struggle to score and create at all whatever system or personnel they use whereas other top teams like us and Chelsea at the moment can struggle at times to break teams down or look much more disjointed in passing in the final 3rd. Already 3-0 up at the moment vs Saints, taking the piss...

Wolves were very lucky and got some ref decisions/posts fall for them against City. We will improve as the season goes on but on the way we definitely need some "luck" like we didn't get at Arsenal with the decisions and referees allowing all defenders to man handle and hold Salah while on the opposite we get punished for doing less.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: November 4, 2018, 03:41:02 pm »
Unfortunately Man City have even more defensive solidity and much greater attacking ability at the moment and clearly their midfield is far superior to ours even without De Bruyne. When you watch them play it doesn't seem like they will struggle to score and create at all whatever system or personnel they use whereas other top teams like us and Chelsea at the moment can struggle at times to break teams down or look much more disjointed in passing in the final 3rd. Already 3-0 up at the moment vs Saints, taking the piss...

Wolves were very lucky and got some ref decisions/posts fall for them against City. We will improve as the season goes on but on the way we definitely need some "luck" like we didn't get at Arsenal with the decisions and referees allowing all defenders to man handle and hold Salah while on the opposite we get punished for doing less.

Thats all great, but I am talking about us and enjoy watching us play and improve as the season goes on. I am not arsed whether or not Wolves or lucky, I just want to see this side grow and progress and whatever happens will happen.

Whatever City do won't take my personal enjoyment out of watching us play and seeing us evolve.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: November 4, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »
Thats all great, but I am talking about us and enjoy watching us play and improve as the season goes on. I am not arsed whether or not Wolves or lucky, I just want to see this side grow and progress and whatever happens will happen.

Whatever City do won't take my personal enjoyment out of watching us play and seeing us evolve.
Same, to be fair.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #274 on: November 4, 2018, 04:05:49 pm »
We’re not challenging Manchester City.... we’re challenging for top 4 again.
It’s so annoying that the times we have created a good team..... someone with Country or Oil money creates something better!!!
My biggest fear is we eventually loose Jurgen when he’s contract runs it’s course and he hasn’t quite got us that 19th title. Not because he’s not good enough but simply because there was s team that was just that little bit better.
This year we thought it would be us against Manchester City and then Chelsea and Arsenal have also improved greatly.
Because of 5is I’m finding it hard to enjoy the season so far....... we will all take points off each other and Manchester City will go on....... winning 4-1 at half time.... they will be 2 points ahead......at some point we’re going to lose.... and that’s 5 points and the way they’re playing it’s practically title over.
I’m 51.... supported Liverpool got 46 years and want this title more than anything in the world.... so fucking frustrating!!!
Before everyone goes mental and start to tell me to fuck off etc..... it’s jus5 how I’m feeling... I enjoyed last season because there was no title expectation and the champions League ‘journey’ was unexpected and spectacular!
This season I just can’t get excited because of the inevitability of Manchester City!!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: November 4, 2018, 04:07:38 pm »
We’re not challenging Manchester City.... we’re challenging for top 4 again.
It’s so annoying that the times we have created a good team..... someone with Country or Oil money creates something better!!!
My biggest fear is we eventually loose  when he’s contract runs it’s course and he hasn’t quite got us that 19th title. Not because he’s not good enough but simply because there was s team that was just that little bit better.
This year we thought it would be us against Manchester City and then Chelsea and Arsenal have also improved greatly.
Because of 5is I’m finding it hard to enjoy the season so far....... we will all take points off each other and Manchester City will go on....... winning 4-1 at half time.... they will be 2 points ahead......at some point we’re going to lose.... and that’s 5 points and the way they’re playing it’s practically title over.
I’m 51.... supported Liverpool got 46 years and want this title more than anything in the world.... so fucking frustrating!!!
Before everyone goes mental and start to tell me to fuck off etc..... it’s jus5 how I’m feeling... I enjoyed last season because there was no title expectation and the champions League ‘journey’ was unexpected and spectacular!
This season I just can’t get excited because of the inevitability of Manchester City!!

Get a grip man.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #276 on: November 4, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »

The reality is, I think we could put up a season equal to or better than the invincibles season (90 points) and still finish the season a few game behind City. That's pretty insane.

For some, City have redefined what a good season is in the league. I saw someone on twitter stating the anything less than 100 points and we have failed this season. Because we have to reasonably expect City to do that and therefore the aim in the summer was to put together a side to at least match that.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: November 4, 2018, 04:12:13 pm »

Even more sounds like a lot instead of what it actually is.

Man City
3 goals in 9 matches  (the one the saints scored today makes it 0.4)

And what do ya know.

Liverpool
4 goals in 10 matches

So us and City have the two most defensively solid sides in Europe,separated by 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: November 4, 2018, 04:12:38 pm »
Jesus seems to have tailed off a bit, I pegged him to push on this season

He'll rise again...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite