Author Topic: PL: Fulham 2 v Liverpool 2 Mitrovich 33' 72' (p) Darwin 64' Salah 81'  (Read 35125 times)

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: PL: Fulham 2 v Liverpool 2 Mitrovich 33' 72' (p) Darwin 64' Salah 81'
« Reply #600 on: August 7, 2022, 03:49:01 am »
Disappointing today. Too many below par. Not enough fight, not enough football on our end.

It might actually end up being a gift to us. We have been so good, for a while now, that the temptation is there to think we will win just by virtue of turning up. But that is never the case. You have to fight, and match their fight, and then if your quality is better it will come through.

Far too many of our players were too lackadaisical. If we respond well then today might actually prove to have been of use to us, for the season ahead.

It seems obvious we will refresh the midfield next summer. This summer? Today it felt like we needed one.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #601 on: August 7, 2022, 04:12:02 am »
Looking at that, you wouldn’t be surprised if the first choice midfield by the end of the year is Fab, Carvalho and Elliot.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: August 7, 2022, 04:12:25 am »
We played relatively poorly,  but even so we still got a draw, whereas Fulham were at the races, got in our faces went 1 up against us twice, and still only got a draw.

We will have better days than this and better opposition too, where we can smash them to bits. We just weren't at it today.

Onwards and upwards.

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #603 on: August 7, 2022, 05:16:19 am »
Players and team can always have bad performances. The lack of effort especially from midfield and defense was very alarming.

Diaz and Robertson atleast put up some sort of fight. Nunez completely changed the game and milner also had a very positive impact. As klopp said, the only positive was getting a point from an abysmal performance overall. I dont think few players will be able to overcome a total lack of effort from others on the field.

It will be interesting to see who klopp picks for the next game. Hope Nunez gets the nod ahead of firmino for the games to come.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #604 on: August 7, 2022, 06:16:47 am »
We went 28-8-2 last season and lost the league by a point.

A very simplistic point but going 29-6-2 from here would win the league, all other things remaining equal.

This team is definitely capable of that
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: August 7, 2022, 06:24:20 am »
Thought Fulham did well, tactically well set-up bar the few occasions when they should have made the call to drop deep but played a mid block and made it easy for our through passes when the pressure from their attackers + midfielders went missing, even for a couple of seconds. Got our goals there, from our moves starting at that point.

Well organised in pressing our backline, especially when our players were on the turn looking to face play, got their numbers in units covering the passing options accurately, won it back a fair bit. Silva's a much better manager than his Everton stint.

While we look at what we could've done better, ultimately it's two sides contesting the game. Fulham did well, earned their point.

Great start for Nunez, Elliot looks useful cutting in from wide, picking passes into the final third. Trent has been shite since his buff Prince of Persia makeover...

« Last Edit: August 7, 2022, 06:27:51 am by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: August 7, 2022, 07:04:10 am »
You can draw an infinite number of lines through a single data point. Take a deep breath. We won’t know much about who we are for a few more weeks.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #607 on: August 7, 2022, 07:17:01 am »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=351186.msg18111205#msg18111205

That was at least in January. Did not expect that the same thing would be said in August.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: August 7, 2022, 07:21:40 am »
One thing ill say about city players compared to ours, and i watch pretty much as much footy on tv as i can - its not that teams roll over for city….rather its that city never ever turn up to a game thinking all they need to do is turn up to win. Whether theyre playing us at home or away to rochdale in the cup, they put max effort in. Pep demands that and he has those kinds of players who will listen and hang on to every word of his. Klopp is equally demanding but i just get the feeling that sometimes players like trent, robbo (who has been shit for a while now), virgil (who also has shown signs of severe regression last season) end believing their own hype too much and play lazily. City never ever play lazily, thats why they win easily whilst we struggle at times. How many games have we conceded first in now in the last 20 league games? Anyone know? Its down to laziness and arrogance sometimes. Something that pep and his players dont ever suffer from. Yes they come across as pretentious twats, but they never are arrogant in the sense that they feel like the game is already won and they can play with their sunglasses and swimming kit on
Maybe it’s just that Pep’s magic juice works better than our inhalers.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: August 7, 2022, 08:32:49 am »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=351186.msg18111205#msg18111205

That was at least in January. Did not expect that the same thing would be said in August.

To say the title chances are  dead is madness, I just dont think anyone actually has..
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #610 on: August 7, 2022, 09:00:19 am »
In the last 7 games last season we conceded the first goal , besides Chelsea 0-0

Madrid
Wolves
Southampton
Chelsea 0-0
Villa
Spurs
Villarreal

I also remember Trent in a interview talking about complacency at times  , are we a bit complacent thinking we can come back and win which were more than capable of doing.
As with City they try to win it in the first 15-20 mins

« Last Edit: August 7, 2022, 10:04:05 am by rocco »

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #611 on: August 7, 2022, 09:28:47 am »
I guess today city is going to play their league winning game

Everyone who started and the gaffer had a bad day... It happens. Next game won't be the same. Everything we've seen and we know what will happen. We'll get better
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #612 on: August 7, 2022, 09:33:15 am »
In the last 7 games last season didn’t we concede the first goal , besides Chelsea 0-0

Madrid
Wolves
Southampton
Chelsea 0-0
Villa
Spurs
Villarreal

I also remember Trent in a interview talking about complacency at times  , are we a bit complacent thinking we can come back and win which were more than capable of doing.
As with City they try to win it in the first 15-20 mins

City use up a lot less energy by winning games early. Most of the time it feels like we have to go flat out till the 90th minute to get the win. We rarely fly out the traps and blow teams away.

Looking at our games in the league post-Christmas last season it was only Leeds and Man United at home that weren't a grind. Even Norwich at home we were losing till the 64th minute. And earlier last season it was giving 2 goal leads away that was part of the problem, rather than falling behind and having to come back.

We need to start quicker. And if we want to pace ourselves more we have to manage the game properly and not give anything away.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #613 on: August 7, 2022, 09:35:46 am »
Yesterday was a day were squad depth wasn’t to blame. It was a day where too many of our regular players had poor games or poor moments. Van Dijk, Trent, Matip, Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho and Firmino can all be thrown into that category. The goalie doesn’t cover himself in glory either.

There’s an argument that the better players were generally the subs. Milner, Elliott and Nunez all made an impact to a varying degree.

My over arching feeling though is that you can’t go to a promoted team away, score 2 and only get 1 point. Largely 2 areas to blame. The 1st 50 minutes and a really lack of control by the midfield (and I’d include Firmino in that assessment). The 2nd is defensive lapses from Matip and the van Dijk once we were in control of the game. We can all have an opinion on whether their 2nd was a pen or not but what isn’t arguable is that it’s a poor pass from Matip and really poor 1-on-1defending from VvD that costs us.

The good thing is that we know these players can bounce back. The nagging doubt is that this type of performance in the 1st half of last season,  characterised by lack of control in midfield AND some poor moments defensively, is probably the reason why we came up short by 1 point.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2022, 09:38:07 am by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: August 7, 2022, 09:42:37 am »
It was surprising in some ways how we came out and performed yesterday, taking into account the way we played v City. Whether it was intentional from City to not put so much effort in or whatever but to go from that and then the drop off against Fulham was bad. I know there would be a case as well that Fulham were very much up for it and they showed that by not letting us play but it must be said that we were very laboured throughout the game and I would honestly say also quite lucky to have walked away with a point.

It is 2 points dropped and if we have ambitions of winning the league then we will be hurt by this, unfortunately the way games are nowadays and with how City are, every point counts… we certainly can’t afford to drop many more points from now on and now we will be putting pressure on ourselves which is going to impact.

I would also say that for instance Bobby Firmino yesterday was quite frankly dire and if that was his idea of grasping an opportunity to start games then he’s done it a lot of harm. I would have said similar about Salah esp first half but we don’t have many options to replace him… but Darwin Nunez I think will now likely start more games. our midfield is also looking a bit light esp in light of Thiago’s injury and I wonder if we do need to dip into the market this window to pick up someone to supplement it as otherwise it’s risky really. Possibly going slightly overboard but you never know.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: August 7, 2022, 09:49:58 am »
We really won’t have to wait long to see where we are after this disappointing performance. Palace will be desperate not to lose at Anfield and will put up a fight. Then we’re off to Old Trafford where Ten Haag will do his best to set down a marker and show an improved Manchester United. Basically any whiff of complacency in these games and we could easily drop more points. Hopefully the punch in the nose from Fulham was enough to wake the team from whatever the fuck that was in first 60 minutes.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: August 7, 2022, 09:52:33 am »
Seen it all before. If our fullbacks aren't at it, we struggle badly. And oh boy, they were both utterly woeful yesterday. That's why I'd like Klopp to change things up slightly and add a bit more pace, guile and creativity to our midfield. Teams now know if they can keep our fullbacks quiet they stifle a big part of our attacking game. We need something else to cause the oppo problems. Hopefully, Carvalho and Elliot can be our answer to that.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: August 7, 2022, 09:55:28 am »
Why can't we play a similar style? They do win more titles and game than us?

For me it seems like a coaching limitation and Pep just doing things better. We don't lack technical players.

Jesus fucking christ is there a block button for this absolutely fucking shite.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: August 7, 2022, 10:01:43 am »
That is one horrific take, to be fair.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: August 7, 2022, 10:33:27 am »
We really won’t have to wait long to see where we are after this disappointing performance. Palace will be desperate not to lose at Anfield and will put up a fight. Then we’re off to Old Trafford where Ten Haag will do his best to set down a marker and show an improved Manchester United. Basically any whiff of complacency in these games and we could easily drop more points. Hopefully the punch in the nose from Fulham was enough to wake the team from whatever the fuck that was in first 60 minutes.

Looking at the first block of games we need to win all our home games. Going into the season you thought we could maybe carry 1 or 2 draws from Everton and United away (who will treat it like a final) and take it from there. Yesterday's result puts pressure on us needing to win those games.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: August 7, 2022, 10:38:41 am »
Looking at the first block of games we need to win all our home games. Going into the season you thought we could maybe carry 1 or 2 draws from Everton and United away (who will treat it like a final) and take it from there. Yesterday's result puts pressure on us needing to win those games.

We really need to be winning our next 4.

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: August 7, 2022, 10:40:47 am »
We weren't up to it but credit should be given to Fulham. They were fantastic and I think that rattled us a little. I'm assuming the team just thought that Fulham would run out of steam, especially in the first game of the season. They didn't though, and Mitrovic was thoroughly excellent up top.

I'm alright with a draw away to a newly promoted side 1st game in. The injury to Thiago is the only thing I'm worried about.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: August 7, 2022, 10:43:09 am »
We weren't up to it but credit should be given to Fulham. They were fantastic and I think that rattled us a little. I'm assuming the team just thought that Fulham would run out of steam, especially in the first game of the season. They didn't though, and Mitrovic was thoroughly excellent up top.

I'm alright with a draw away to a newly promoted side 1st game in. The injury to Thiago is the only thing I'm worried about.

Thing is, as we saw last season, drop points to these sides and you have to make it up by beating the top sides, which we didnt do all that well last season.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: August 7, 2022, 10:43:49 am »

Thry clearly dropped off after our first goal and would have struggled to get back in the game if we scored the next goal. They did well but the ref helped too.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: August 7, 2022, 10:45:56 am »
To be honest I was nervous as you could see that goal coming but when we equalised I thought only one winner here .
We did hit the post twice and on another day just like most games we win it .

Just a bit concerned, how relaxed /complacent we look in a lot of games in the first half for a while now and when Trent says it in a interview, you wonder why we don’t come out all pumped up .

Take City , there like dogs in the first 15/20mins and a lot of times the game is won by then and they can just try and manage the game , which turn keeps them a lot fresher for the season .

Klopp has evolved us tremendously and over the last few seasons , it’s about energy saving and not running out of steam like we had in previous seasons after our full metal football but feel at times we have maybe lost the balance .

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #625 on: August 7, 2022, 11:05:26 am »
Sometimes you play badly and take what you can get. I completely understand it’s 2 points dropped. But had we managed to get a point at West Ham or Leicester we’d have won the league. That’s my attempt at a positive spin. Good day all. :D

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: August 7, 2022, 11:06:16 am »
So we can't question coaches on this forum? Is that what is it?

And I personally like how Pep's team play. But I guess a different view ain't acceptable on this forum either?
Sure, but you have to be intellectually honest about it - or it's pointless and (ultimately) boring - and most people aren't.

A well-followed twitter LFC account who was previously very active on here has long had a problem with Henderson. He obscures it occasionally by saying Henderson's a better 6, but if he was rotating solely at 6, he'd be highlighting how he's inferior to Fabinho (despite a decline in Fabinho's performance over the last 18 months or so, but I digress).

Yesterday, he was 'explaining' how the best 8's are more adept at turning on the ball, working through the lines, comfortable under pressure, etc. The usual criticisms of Henderson. But he did so by contrasting him with a player like Silva (I assume he meant Bernado rather than David, but it doesn't really matter).

That's not intellectually honest: because I'm pretty sure that Klopp knows Henderson isn't Bernado Silva.

Criticising a player for not being what you want in a given role is pointless. If the manager is picking him in that role, what does that suggest the manager wants in that role? That's the more interesting question - and more difficult, in many ways, than just saying "Silva/Bellingham/Tchoumani/Tielemans would be better 8s".

Alternatively - the argument isn't really about the player, it's about the manager. It's not that Henderson isn't good enough to play at 8, it's why Klopp plays someone like Henderson at 8. But most critics don't (yet) have the balls to put that argument - "Klopp's an idiot if he thinks XYZ".

Henderson had a poor game yesterday - he didn't execute much well (though he did contribute possibly the best pass by a Liverpool player in the game, late in the first half). The intercepted attempted pass that led to their goal was a good example of what he's in the team to do - but consistently berated for by those who emphasise control at all times - which just wasn't quite executed. But criticising, as many do, what he tries to do and the style in which he does it, when he has an off game, misses the point. That's the type of player he is, and to be regularly picked in that role, arguably still first choice there when everyone's fit, he must infact be doing more or less what the manager wants; when he's playing well.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: August 7, 2022, 11:17:14 am »
Sometimes you play badly and take what you can get. I completely understand it’s 2 points dropped. But had we managed to get a point at West Ham or Leicester we’d have won the league. That’s my attempt at a positive spin. Good day all. :D

That’s the point , we dropped points imo as we have come out not quite at it in the first half .

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #628 on: August 7, 2022, 11:18:29 am »
So we can't question coaches on this forum? Is that what is it?

And I personally like how Pep's team play. But I guess a different view ain't acceptable on this forum either?
Klopp is a superior coach to Guadiola. He has never had the spending power that Guardiola has enjoyed at almost every club he’s managed. He’s instead had to use his coaching and tactical abilities to make his sides competitive.

Guardiola wouldn’t have had the success here that Klopp has brought us.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: August 7, 2022, 11:20:06 am »
Sure, but you have to be intellectually honest about it - or it's pointless and (ultimately) boring - and most people aren't.

A well-followed twitter LFC account who was previously very active on here has long had a problem with Henderson. He obscures it occasionally by saying Henderson's a better 6, but if he was rotating solely at 6, he'd be highlighting how he's inferior to Fabinho (despite a decline in Fabinho's performance over the last 18 months or so, but I digress).

Yesterday, he was 'explaining' how the best 8's are more adept at turning on the ball, working through the lines, comfortable under pressure, etc. The usual criticisms of Henderson. But he did so by contrasting him with a player like Silva (I assume he meant Bernado rather than David, but it doesn't really matter).

That's not intellectually honest: because I'm pretty sure that Klopp knows Henderson isn't Bernado Silva.

Criticising a player for not being what you want in a given role is pointless. If the manager is picking him in that role, what does that suggest the manager wants in that role? That's the more interesting question - and more difficult, in many ways, than just saying "Silva/Bellingham/Tchoumani/Tielemans would be better 8s".

Alternatively - the argument isn't really about the player, it's about the manager. It's not that Henderson isn't good enough to play at 8, it's why Klopp plays someone like Henderson at 8. But most critics don't (yet) have the balls to put that argument - "Klopp's an idiot if he thinks XYZ".

Henderson had a poor game yesterday - he didn't execute much well (though he did contribute possibly the best pass by a Liverpool player in the game, late in the first half). The intercepted attempted pass that led to their goal was a good example of what he's in the team to do - but consistently berated for by those who emphasise control at all times - which just wasn't quite executed. But criticising, as many do, what he tries to do and the style in which he does it, when he has an off game, misses the point. That's the type of player he is, and to be regularly picked in that role, arguably still first choice there when everyone's fit, he must infact be doing more or less what the manager wants; when he's playing well.
Did you notice how incisive we were when Harvey came on? The 8 doesn't suit Hendo at this stage of his career because he isn't agile and isn't as quick as he used to be. He's a fantastic passer when he has space which he'll get as a 6.

He plays because the captain is more likely to play and we already have a good 6. Also, Ox and Keita are simply not good enough nor fit enough to dislodge him.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2022, 11:22:09 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #630 on: August 7, 2022, 11:20:10 am »
A very surprising, borderline alarming, display...last time I saw such a lack of urgency was when we'd won the league and mentally/physically downed tools for the remainder of the season...just have to chalk it off as an opening day aberration and start the season proper with the Palace game.....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: August 7, 2022, 11:21:04 am »
To be honest I was nervous as you could see that goal coming but when we equalised I thought only one winner here .
We did hit the post twice and on another day just like most games we win it .

Just a bit concerned, how relaxed /complacent we look in a lot of games in the first half for a while now and when Trent says it in a interview, you wonder why we don’t come out all pumped up .

Take City , there like dogs in the first 15/20mins and a lot of times the game is won by then and they can just try and manage the game , which turn keeps them a lot fresher for the season .

Klopp has evolved us tremendously and over the last few seasons , it’s about energy saving and not running out of steam like we had in previous seasons after our full metal football but feel at times we have maybe lost the balance .

If you're going to conserve energy you've got to manage the game properly. We were perfect at it in 19/20 with mostly the same players.

We make games too exciting and open which gives opponents encouragement. We had a batch of 2-2/3-3 draws in the first half of last season as well.

City basically bore the opposition to death.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: August 7, 2022, 11:26:54 am »
If you're going to conserve energy you've got to manage the game properly. We were perfect at it in 19/20 with mostly the same players.

We make games too exciting and open which gives opponents encouragement. We had a batch of 2-2/3-3 draws in the first half of last season as well.

City basically bore the opposition to death.
We were doing okay until the ref didn't blow for the foul on Hendo.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: August 7, 2022, 11:39:23 am »
Did you notice how incisive we were when Harvey came on? The 8 doesn't suit Hendo at this stage of his career because he isn't agile and isn't as quick as he used to be. He's a fantastic passer when he has space which he'll get as a 6.
Did you notice that Fulham's press dropping off in the second half also coincided us with getting on the ball? Or that Elliott barely played 'as an 8', but stayed wide and we triple-teamed that flank with Salah and Trent to create overloads and created most of our second half chances from there?

He plays because the captain is more likely to play and we already have a good 6. Also, Ox and Keita are simply not good enough nor fit enough to dislodge him.
Sure, Klopp only plays him because he's the captain.

An interesting point then arises with the mention of Ox - that's the same role he was bought for, that he was eventually playing pretty well in, before the bad injury. Was he a Silva type, playing on the half turn under pressure? No, he got on the ball and drove at the opposition, made runs into the box, played the low-percentage through balls (plenty of which get cut out). Similarly Keita, with a bit more guile and a little less pace. Maybe Klopp just doesn't want a Silva. I'm sure he'd love a De Bruyne.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #634 on: August 7, 2022, 11:47:24 am »
Across the Internet all media groups

‘Jurgen Klopp: The pitch was dry’

He said that in 1 second purely as a fact of the match not as an excuse

But that’s all they needed. Everything out of context, no mention that he said we were poor and deserved nothing but a draw at best

The press really do run society.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #635 on: August 7, 2022, 11:48:26 am »
A very surprising, borderline alarming, display...last time I saw such a lack of urgency was when we'd won the league and mentally/physically downed tools for the remainder of the season...just have to chalk it off as an opening day aberration and start the season proper with the Palace game.....

Yup they’ve got a week to put it right
The obvious worry, especially for the older first eleven palyers, is that they’re coming off possibly the most demanding season of all time (63 games in a condensed schedule plus internationals) with minimal break

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: August 7, 2022, 11:49:07 am »
Also it's 7th August.

We're we great yesterday? No.
Did we lose? No.

Point picked up. Move on.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: August 7, 2022, 12:03:32 pm »

Wouldn't we have finished 2nd on goal difference?  Sorry Nick!
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: August 7, 2022, 12:22:16 pm »
Did you notice that Fulham's press dropping off in the second half also coincided us with getting on the ball? Or that Elliott barely played 'as an 8', but stayed wide and we triple-teamed that flank with Salah and Trent to create overloads and created most of our second half chances from there?
Sure, Klopp only plays him because he's the captain.

An interesting point then arises with the mention of Ox - that's the same role he was bought for, that he was eventually playing pretty well in, before the bad injury. Was he a Silva type, playing on the half turn under pressure? No, he got on the ball and drove at the opposition, made runs into the box, played the low-percentage through balls (plenty of which get cut out). Similarly Keita, with a bit more guile and a little less pace. Maybe Klopp just doesn't want a Silva. I'm sure he'd love a De Bruyne.
Fulham's high press was not sustainable and they inevitably dropped off but you can't argue that Harvey creates a lot more than Hendo. The interpretation of 8 depends on the player's qualities but physical attributes like pace, agility(to evade opponents) help. Ox was quick and had the agility to beat his man.

If the options are good enough, we've shown that we are willing to phase players out like Firmino and Milner. Maybe Hendo is playing because Ox and Keita are not good enough to take his spot?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: August 7, 2022, 12:23:35 pm »
Wouldn't we have finished 2nd on goal difference?  Sorry Nick!

haha. facts.