Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 341929 times)

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #6200 on: April 1, 2024, 05:06:26 am »
This was the deleted, which was any way quoted, to which you referenced afterwards.

--Refusing to see the point?

Has your team acchieved enough, or are you projecting to what you might?

How much more has Arteta delivered when compared to Rodgers

Which one of those you describe as a joke, and which as a second coming of wenger

Do you see why people see your opinions as reationary, and generally full of shit" --

Which, while I see the only thing that was offensive on that, was me calling his opinion as shit, though he has his right to hold that opinion, I disagree.

No offence taken mate.

I disagree with your disagreement  :D

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #6201 on: April 1, 2024, 05:33:07 am »
Why would you suggest we replace Arteta with?

That's the thing, I don't know.

Who's your Torres since you built your new stadium.

Who's the Vieira of emirates.

I, coming from the outside, don't know. Arteta is everton, marginally yours.

I figured why I fear/hate him this past weekend, he looks like the actor in Slayers "playing with Dolls" dvd from the limited edition "World Painted  Blood" album from 2009. the lack of emotion, the look of norman bates in the shower, I'm sorry, but that's what I see. and the general appearance of a daffodil.

I mean if you want a name, I love Wright as a pundit, I would respect him as a manager.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #6202 on: April 1, 2024, 05:34:31 am »
No offence taken mate.

I disagree with your disagreement  :D

Opinions, assholes, we all love our own..

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6203 on: April 1, 2024, 05:46:56 am »
Yes. There are no easy fixtures at this point.

If it’s still between us and yourselves going into the last 2 games of the season you couldn’t have 2 easier fixtures

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6204 on: April 1, 2024, 06:01:17 am »
According to the alternative PL table a draw at your rivals is a good result. And I reckon according to the table as it actually is it’s a good result too. Sure they now need us to slip up but there’s still 9 games left.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6205 on: April 1, 2024, 07:17:56 am »
According to the alternative PL table a draw at your rivals is a good result. And I reckon according to the table as it actually is it’s a good result too. Sure they now need us to slip up but there’s still 9 games left.

I’m fairly sure we won’t win them all. But I’m fairly sure Arsenal or City won’t either. So hopefully yesterday’s results gives us some ‘margin for error’. A lot of that probably
Comes down to who drops points first though.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6206 on: April 1, 2024, 07:26:59 am »
Have you ever won at man city in the league since Pep joined them?
Have you? Otherwise pretty dumb retort.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6207 on: April 1, 2024, 07:32:56 am »
Hopefully that Arsenal player that collapsed in the ladies final is okay.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6208 on: April 1, 2024, 07:57:01 am »
I’m fairly sure we won’t win them all. But I’m fairly sure Arsenal or City won’t either. So hopefully yesterday’s results gives us some ‘margin for error’. A lot of that probably
Comes down to who drops points first though.

Both have to play Brighton away within the next month. Hopefully De Zerbi will be out trying to prove a point.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6209 on: April 1, 2024, 08:41:27 am »
That was a bit cowardly but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6210 on: April 1, 2024, 08:48:27 am »
Both have to play Brighton away within the next month. Hopefully De Zerbi will be out trying to prove a point.

His head might be elsewhere

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6211 on: April 1, 2024, 08:53:28 am »

They still have a chance of Europe.
Top half - Europe
Bottom half - Fighting for survival
Mid-table - Pride

There are no gimmes

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6212 on: April 1, 2024, 08:54:57 am »
His David Guest-esque head might be elsewhere

Hope not. Not sure why but there's something about him that rubs me up the wrong way. It's not even anything tangible. I'm sure I'll change my tune if we do hire him though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6213 on: April 1, 2024, 09:04:19 am »
Hope not. Not sure why but there's something about him that rubs me up the wrong way. It's not even anything tangible. I'm sure I'll change my tune if we do hire him though.

It might be nothing, but Klopp was like gushing over him yesterday, it seemed more than just praise, it seemed like a vote of confidence.

I think hes a good manager, the right manager in terms of ideas, background, age and progressive football. Italian managers do very well here, and his football is anti italian, throws caution to the wind and plays attacking football.

Ticks all the right boxes, until you think of him replacing Jurgen Klopp, then it becomes a silly idea!

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6214 on: April 1, 2024, 09:06:29 am »
They still have a chance of Europe.
Top half - Europe
Bottom half - Fighting for survival
Mid-table - Pride

There are no gimmes

Agreed, some players playing for contracts, others for a move, others to try to make euros squads. Some play better without pressure. There are no gimmes.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6215 on: April 1, 2024, 09:07:41 am »
It might be nothing, but Klopp was like gushing over him yesterday, it seemed more than just praise, it seemed like a vote of confidence.

I think hes a good manager, the right manager in terms of ideas, background, age and progressive football. Italian managers do very well here, and his football is anti italian, throws caution to the wind and plays attacking football.

Ticks all the right boxes, until you think of him replacing Jurgen Klopp, then it becomes a silly idea!

I don't take too much notice of that, Klopp gushes over literally everyone, when asked about them. He was even more fulsome in his praise of Hodgson earlier on this season (around the time he left Palace). He also had some amazing things to say about Alonso a few weeks ago and that didn't exactly go according to plan!

Edit: De Zerbi done have the opportunity to go up massively in my estimation next weekend.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2024, 09:11:04 am by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6216 on: April 1, 2024, 09:10:20 am »
8/12 points against the best teams in the country.

The other two teams got 3/12.
Do you get a trophy for that?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #6217 on: April 1, 2024, 09:14:16 am »

Why, has he turned down the Saudicastle job ? :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6218 on: April 1, 2024, 09:15:07 am »
Why, has he turned down the Saudicastle job ? :)

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #6219 on: April 1, 2024, 09:17:25 am »
The result itself on paper isn’t terrible.

Arsenal haven’t won at Anfield since 2012. That hasn’t stopped them going full beans the last couple of seasons, throwing everything into it, going uber-cheat with the diving and faking injuries, Arteta launching himself up and down the touch line.

Now it could be that it’s just styles, but considering their consistent approach against Abu Dhabi it does come across that Arteta doesn’t really want to damage the very strong relationship he has with Man City by giving them a really nasty, unpleasant game. That’s what was called for yesterday, with most of their first choice back four out and another hobbling off early on. They’ll never get a better chance to win there.

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #6220 on: April 1, 2024, 09:39:46 am »
Everybody ignoring the fact we had plenty lining up before and after our recent game against City *at home* to say that a point was a good result. You could say v similar things three weeks ago about City being there for the taking. We went for the win obviously in a way arsenal didn't, but we were at home, and plenty were willing to take the point and stay ahead of City.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6221 on: April 1, 2024, 09:50:24 am »
Honestly, Ive seen some nonsense spouted in here since yesterday.

A draw at Man City is only acceptable as a good result only if you go out all attack for the win and have to settle for a draw. 

Only wins are enough in a title race….despite Liverpool going back to the top of the league after drawing their previous league game, ironically at home to Man City.

Man City were there to be got at with that weak defence….aye it must have really hurt them only having to start a defence of Akanji - Dias -  Gvardiol - Ake. Oh the adversity, imagine them having to play a Rob Holding against someone like Haaland?!

I’m sure these views are mostly to wind up the resident Gooners, which is fair enough. Im more worried about folk on here if they genuinely believe them.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6222 on: April 1, 2024, 09:51:36 am »
Everybody ignoring the fact we had plenty lining up before and after our recent game against City *at home* to say that a point was a good result. You could say v similar things three weeks ago about City being there for the taking. We went for the win obviously in a way arsenal didn't, but we were at home, and plenty were willing to take the point and stay ahead of City.

A point was acceptable, because it still kept us joint top and we had the games vs the top 3 out of the way. Arsenal lost the lead at the top by sitting there and defending. Not that they had to go gung ho, but there was zero ambition beyond 0-0.

Also, while maybe people called it an acceptable point in our case, everyone was a bit disappointed we didn't win, because - very much unlike Arsenal in either game vs City - we actually went for it and properly had them on the rack.

City might respect Arsenal a little more than they did a year ago, but they don't fear them. Arsenal haven't done anything in any of the big games that makes them fearsome. For all their goals in January and February against shite, they're still definitely a defence-first team.

It's totally fair that Arsenal fans say a point is a good result, but the context is that City had a lot of injuries, look like they're ageing and definitely don't have the same aura at the moment. In that context, to not even attempt to win is not particularly brave. Especially when Arsenal still have the toughest run-in and CL to juggle.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6223 on: April 1, 2024, 09:54:36 am »

A draw at Man City is only acceptable as a good result only if you go out all attack for the win and have to settle for a draw. 

Only wins are enough in a title race….despite Liverpool going back to the top of the league after drawing their previous league game, ironically at home to Man City.

Man City were there to be got at with that weak defence….aye it must have really hurt them only having to start a defence of Akanji - Dias -  Gvardiol - Ake. Oh the adversity, imagine them having to play a Rob Holding against someone like Haaland?!

I’m sure these views are mostly to wind up the resident Gooners, which is fair enough. Im more worried about folk on here if they genuinely believe them.

Or Jarrell Quansah.

City without Stones and Walker is a pretty big loss for them, two stalwarts of their defence. Guardiola dropped Dias against him because he didn’t trust him but a year or two back they were claiming him as the next defender in the league. They’re weird.

All that said, and despite a few digs from me (some of the other posts are very OTT), a point at City is clearly a decent/acceptable result. But if you do end up second by a point or two would you look back then and wish you terrier for the in a bit more (possibly not, as TNB fairly said, you’ll be looking at the Fulham and West Ham results more).

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6224 on: April 1, 2024, 09:54:54 am »

I think you’ve got to show willing to adapt during a game. Bit like a lion seeing an injured buffalo, normally wouldn’t have a go on its own but much better chance now it’s hobbling. Many teams in the league would have had more of a go yesterday in those circumstances, I think it is just Arteta and that relationship he has with Manchester City. It’s not a terrible point but the win would have almost taken Abu Dhabi out of contention.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6225 on: April 1, 2024, 09:57:57 am »

Poor city, they were down to their last 21 world class players. “There for the taking“ . They had hardly any first teamers, well apart from Rodri Foden De Bruyne Bernardo Haaland , and Grealish Doku and Alvarez on the bench. Bare bones you could say.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6226 on: April 1, 2024, 10:05:21 am »
Everyone is getting too emotional

Quite :D ;)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6227 on: April 1, 2024, 10:05:49 am »

The difference is that Liverpool battered City and but for poor finishing and some iffy refereeing, it would have been a win - a repeat of the Arsenal game ironically. The main point people are making is about the approach in that Liverpool are brave enough to have a go and would rather get beat than to wonder 'what if'. And we as a fanbase have bought into that approach, we want to win but also be entertained which is why the likes of Mourinho and Hodgson will never be a fit for us as a club.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6228 on: April 1, 2024, 10:06:03 am »
Poor city, they were down to their last 21 world class players. “There for the taking“ . They had hardly any first teamers, well apart from Rodri Foden De Bruyne Bernardo Haaland , and Grealish Doku and Alvarez on the bench. Bare bones you could say.

Haaland is playing shite. DeBruyne looks half fit and finally showing his age. Bernardo is run into the ground from playing every game because they've lost important players and bought mediocre players in the summer. Grealish is on one of Pep's 6 month jail sentences. City are still obviously dangerous, but they aren't anything like what they were a year ago.

But you know, go ahead and do your lap of honour to celebrate defending for 0-0 with ten men behind the ball, Saka and Trossard playing as full backs. If you showed just a bit of bollocks beyond 28% possession, then you might actually win the league. Now I'd be pretty surprised if you can.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6229 on: April 1, 2024, 10:06:22 am »
Or Jarrell Quansah.

City without Stones and Walker is a pretty big loss for them, two stalwarts of their defence. Guardiola dropped Dias against him because he didn’t trust him but a year or two back they were claiming him as the next defender in the league. They’re weird.

All that said, and despite a few digs from me (some of the other posts are very OTT), a point at City is clearly a decent/acceptable result. But if you do end up second by a point or two would you look back then and wish you terrier for the in a bit more (possibly not, as TNB fairly said, you’ll be looking at the Fulham and West Ham results more).

If we win the next 9 and dont win the league, then fair play to Liverpool . Beyond that, yesterday was our toughest game left so if we drop points in any of the next 9 that would be a bigger disappointment, than at the home of the treble winning cheats that win the league every season.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6230 on: April 1, 2024, 10:07:02 am »
Haaland is playing shite. DeBruyne looks half fit and finally showing his age. Bernardo is run into the ground from playing every game because they've bought mediocre players in the summer. City are still obviously dangerous, but they aren't anything like what they were a year ago.

But you know, go ahead and do your lap of honour to celebrate defending for 0-0 with ten men behind the ball, Saka and Trossard playing as full backs. If you showed just a bit of bollocks beyond 28% possession, then you might actually win the league. Now I'd be pretty surprised if you can.

We made them play shite, like we did with you. There’s a pattern developing, teams seem to “not turn up” when they play us.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6231 on: April 1, 2024, 10:11:01 am »
We made them play shite, like we did with you. There’s a pattern developing, teams seem to “not turn up” when they play us.

We only played shite when we were missing about 8 players at the Emirates, including another 3 who dropped out in the day or two before the game. Played fine and should've beaten yous at Anfield and you know it. Looking forward to the crying over a "crisis" when Arsenal get about two injuries.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6232 on: April 1, 2024, 10:14:14 am »
Or Jarrell Quansah.

Honest mate, I’d rather have a Quansah against City with all his inexperience, than a Holding. Quansah seems like he has all the traits needed in a modern central defender, we know Holding doesn’t. I don’t like picking on the guy because he seems a genuinely good bloke, but he’s made 1 EFL cup appearance for a shockingly poor Crystal Palace.

If we do end up 2nd by a point, you look at every fixture you have dropped points in and wonder if you could / should have done more.

The reality of our situation is we had won 8 on the bounce to get us to this position, to win it we might need to win 8 of our next 9. That’s why I’ve always felt we won’t win the league, because you are basically saying you need to win 16 out of 18 games, included in that games vs Liverpool and City. You are talking about a 50 point half season there or there abouts.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6233 on: April 1, 2024, 10:18:21 am »
We only played shite when we were missing about 8 players at the Emirates, including another 3 who dropped out in the day or two before the game. Played fine and should've beaten yous at Anfield and you know it. Looking forward to the crying over a "crisis" when Arsenal get about two injuries.

Saliba getting injured last season is why the wheels came off apparently.  Compare that to our lengthy list of injuries this season.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6234 on: April 1, 2024, 10:27:53 am »
That might be so, and he might not be wrong in that. But I feel that that is a different argument to the one I was replying to. When you use the logic of the Opta odds to explain why this was a good result for Arsenal then I feel that, by that same logic, it most likely is not a very good result as Arsenal after the game are still, in this model, at a major disadvantage v City. Basically the model is saying that Arsenal had much less margin for error than City. Now if you want to argue that the model might be wrong that is a slighly different discussion. Also both may be true; the model might even already have into account that City are not as good this year as the previous years.

Obviously Arsenal would also need us to slip up, and this result certainly did not help them v us. For me I am not that worried about Arsenal. I don't think they'll win it. It will be us or the cheaters.

I see your point now. One game fewer to make up the difference.
It's sport, there will  be unexpected twists and turns. As a coach you can only hope the 'luck' evens itself out.  My bet is still that they feel City are likely to drop fewer points than us in the run in. And so staying in touch with City is their best plan from this position.  Agree though that the graphic doesn't give them cause for hope. Losing that game would have left them with a mountain to climb.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6235 on: April 1, 2024, 10:35:23 am »

There will be posters upset at you not having more of a go at City because they feel we are more likely to beat you in a 2 horse race than one with City. So we're disappointed City got a point.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6236 on: April 1, 2024, 10:37:16 am »
Has Declan Rice ever been booked? He seemed to be carrying Harry Kane's free pass yesterday.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6237 on: April 1, 2024, 10:38:24 am »
Everybody ignoring the fact we had plenty lining up before and after our recent game against City *at home* to say that a point was a good result.

That's because a draw kept the title in our hands (albeit with a bit of goal difference to make up), and because we knew City vs Arsenal was coming up so at least one was guaranteed to drop points afterwards. Neither of those applies to Arsenal.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6238 on: April 1, 2024, 10:43:36 am »
Saliba getting injured last season is why the wheels came off apparently.  Compare that to our lengthy list of injuries this season.

It’s not just about the injuries you have, it’s about who you have to come in and replace them, that’s why City win leagues. It’s not about having a massive squad, it’s about having quality throughput that squad. If Van Dijk is out do you feel his loss more when the replacement is Konate or Quansah or when the replacement is Nat Phillips?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6239 on: April 1, 2024, 10:48:23 am »
It’s not just about the injuries you have, it’s about who you have to come in and replace them, that’s why City win leagues. It’s not about having a massive squad, it’s about having quality throughput that squad. If Van Dijk is out do you feel his loss more when the replacement is Konate or Quansah or when the replacement is Nat Phillips?

How did you get yourselves in a position where Rob Holding was essentially your first reserve centre back? Or were others missing too?