Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 529113 times)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #8920 on: April 16, 2024, 01:07:57 pm »
TBF to Hoeness, when he took them over, the team had sold the likes of Joelinton, Schulz and Demirbay and didn’t do a good job replacing them.   Hoffenheim will always be a small village team at the end of the day, and apart form a few outliers are very much the definiton of a mid-table team, as they where under Hoeness. Also it was his first head coach job.

What he’s done this season at Stuttgart is genuinely mad. Rightly Alonso and Leverkusen get the plaudits, but taking that Stuttgart team into the CL is even more incredible.

Yeah, I'm sure there is extenuating circumstances but the Hoffenheim stuff just looks very, very average - and maybe even bad.

Agree on the Stuttgart stuff. I just think most big clubs will want to see him repeat that feat (or drop a little but do alright in the CL/EL) before diving in and handing him the reins. I actually didn't appreciate that he coached Hoffenheim in the EL, in his first season. They actually won their group comfortably, albeit the other teams were Red Star, Slovan Liberec and Gent so not particularly strong. They then went out to Molde in the first knockout round. Again, think we'd want a bigger/better sample size of European achievement from the new manager, given the expectation is that we'll be in the CL every season.

Don't think Amorim massively ticks boxes here either but has much more experience - got Sporting through their CL group in 21/22 before being eliminated by City, failed to progress from their CL group in 22/23, but then got to the quarters of EL and eliminated Arsenal in the process before going out to Juve. Then this year, finished second in their EL group to Atalanta before then being narrowly eliminated by them in the round of 16... which given last Thursday doesn't look too bad.

Point being, we love data and I just don't think we have enough of it to make a call on Hoeness.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8921 on: April 16, 2024, 01:12:42 pm »
That's interesting from Ornstein that.

Amorim in but maybe not necessarily top candidate.

Hoeness may be in contention.

The comment of going left field and "not looking for applause but to get it right" may mean someone very different than what we expect.

Names that come to mind on this:

Frank
Motta
Fonseca
Kovac - although isn't he quite a defensive manager, and also not really that good in his last jobs
Hoeness
Slot
Roger Schmidt
Emrey

Would add Marco Rose to this list as well

Online dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #8922 on: April 16, 2024, 01:20:00 pm »
Rafa for 12 months, then Xabi?

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8923 on: April 16, 2024, 01:21:59 pm »

Rafas time as a top football manager has unfortunately passed, wouldn't want him anywhere near the managers job now

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8924 on: April 16, 2024, 01:50:04 pm »
Ornstein is a bluffer. He was saying Alonso is strong preference a day before he ruled himself out.

In other words: nobody has a clue.

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8925 on: April 16, 2024, 02:02:28 pm »
Ornstein is a bluffer. He was saying Alonso is strong preference a day before he ruled himself out.

Not defending him because I don't give a fuck, but in fairness he's not a mind-reader is he? Alonso probably was a strong preference. His decision was out of our hands.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8926 on: April 16, 2024, 02:02:38 pm »

This isn't the 00's anymore. Rafa is done.

I think it will be Amorim. They are jsut trying to throw diffrent names at us now.

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #8927 on: April 16, 2024, 02:05:42 pm »
I would be very surprised if Michael Edwards/FSG do not know their man by now. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is all but wrapped up behind the scenes. For whatever reason, it’s all being kept water tight from anyone outside that circle. I reckon whoever it is, they are currently in a job and we won’t know until their season finishes.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8928 on: April 16, 2024, 02:06:10 pm »
This isn't the 00's anymore. Rafa is done.

I think it will be Amorim. They are jsut trying to throw diffrent names at us now.
Yup. We’ve seen it quite often where we’ve been linked with players with a lot of noise coming from foreign journalists (as is the case with Amorim) while local journos etc were downplaying the links. It’s just how we operate. We saw it with Nunez, Alisson, Szoboszlai etc.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8929 on: April 16, 2024, 02:06:26 pm »
Not defending him because I don't give a fuck, but in fairness he's not a mind-reader is he? Alonso probably was a strong preference. His decision was out of our hands.

It was reported that the club knew Alonso’s intentions early on.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8930 on: April 16, 2024, 02:09:04 pm »
Imagine thinking FSG not knowing who they want as our new manager when they are about 4 weeks from announcing it.  ;D

The way we are set up with our data and analytics team and with Michael Edwards being back unofficially since December, we've known who it will be for a while now.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8931 on: April 16, 2024, 02:13:14 pm »
Imagine thinking FSG not knowing who they want as our new manager when they are about 4 weeks from announcing it.  ;D

The way we are set up with our data and analytics team and with Michael Edwards being back unofficially since December, we've known who it will be for a while now.

Spot on Samie.

We're just waiting for Man Utd to sack him first so we don't have to pay compensation.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #8932 on: April 16, 2024, 02:15:52 pm »

Do you really think Xabi will want to follow Rafa after he royally fucked him over during the Gareth Barry saga?
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #8933 on: April 16, 2024, 02:16:21 pm »

Correct. He words his statements in such a way as to leave all options open, because he doesn’t have a scooby. The club are clearly keeping their cards close to their chest because they don’t want to upset a manager who is still in a job.

Offline singerj

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8934 on: April 16, 2024, 02:33:32 pm »
Can’t really stand to listen to Ornstein talk. Pompousness at unlistenable levels.

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8935 on: April 16, 2024, 03:03:10 pm »

Fuckin hell when you see it written down like that it's not long till Klopps gone
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8936 on: April 16, 2024, 03:10:22 pm »
Fuckin hell when you see it written down like that it's not long till Klopps gone

Yeah, 16th April man. The last game is May 19th......

Or is it??????
👀🤓🥷
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8937 on: April 16, 2024, 03:20:58 pm »

Page 224.....

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #8938 on: April 16, 2024, 03:22:17 pm »
we won’t know until their season finishes.

Or they have won their league (and anything else they are in for)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #8939 on: April 16, 2024, 03:43:50 pm »

Or they have won their league (and anything else they are in for)

Exactly what I’m wishfully thinking. :D
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Online dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #8940 on: April 16, 2024, 03:53:29 pm »
Do you really think Xabi will want to follow Rafa after he royally fucked him over during the Gareth Barry saga?

no not really, it was just with the snippet that it could be a name that hadn't been mentioned. It was more the idea of seasoned manager who could plug the gap until the right candidate comes along, as has been alluded to. i don't think things ever work out quite that way in reality though. i think better to believe in potential, and back it. If the 'oven-ready' candidate isn't obvious or available, then go with someone young, intelligent and adaptable. i'm assuming our interview process will involve more than just a quick chat with an agent. given our data models, i'd hope it involves time discussing how we work with data, and how the manager plans to utilise it, and probably plugging in that managers footprint with our current setup and pouring over the models and simulations.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #8941 on: April 16, 2024, 04:11:11 pm »
We’re sleeping on Xavi still are we?
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8942 on: April 16, 2024, 04:12:47 pm »
Neil Jones has just name dropped Niko Kovac.

:lmao Yeah, no.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #8943 on: April 16, 2024, 04:44:28 pm »
Neil Jones has just name dropped Niko Kovac.

Jones said: “I saw the headline and it made more sense for his agents who have been sounding out Premier League clubs. That feels like an agent-led story to me. I don’t think Liverpool will be in the running for Niko Kovac. It will be someone with a lot more recent pedigree.”

Looks like he was casting a bit of doubt on it.

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8944 on: April 16, 2024, 04:59:27 pm »
Still have a little suspicion/hope/delusion that Xabi will U-Turn after winning the league (and possibly Europa?)

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8945 on: April 16, 2024, 05:05:10 pm »
Still have a little suspicion/hope/delusion that Xabi will U-Turn after winning the league (and possibly Europa?)

How I would love that...but not a chance.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8946 on: April 16, 2024, 05:25:59 pm »

Niko Kovač: “There’s no truth to Liverpool links emerged in the recent days”.

“It’s not true”, told Sport & Talk at Hangar 7 on Servus TV.

:D

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8947 on: April 16, 2024, 05:32:29 pm »
Yeah, I'm sure there is extenuating circumstances but the Hoffenheim stuff just looks very, very average - and maybe even bad.

Agree on the Stuttgart stuff. I just think most big clubs will want to see him repeat that feat (or drop a little but do alright in the CL/EL) before diving in and handing him the reins. I actually didn't appreciate that he coached Hoffenheim in the EL, in his first season. They actually won their group comfortably, albeit the other teams were Red Star, Slovan Liberec and Gent so not particularly strong. They then went out to Molde in the first knockout round. Again, think we'd want a bigger/better sample size of European achievement from the new manager, given the expectation is that we'll be in the CL every season.

Don't think Amorim massively ticks boxes here either but has much more experience - got Sporting through their CL group in 21/22 before being eliminated by City, failed to progress from their CL group in 22/23, but then got to the quarters of EL and eliminated Arsenal in the process before going out to Juve. Then this year, finished second in their EL group to Atalanta before then being narrowly eliminated by them in the round of 16... which given last Thursday doesn't look too bad.

Point being, we love data and I just don't think we have enough of it to make a call on Hoeness.

Think Ornstein or somebody on The Athletic podcast talked about some alternative list based on data, with Hoeness coming out top.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8948 on: April 16, 2024, 05:40:40 pm »

If Edwards and FSG were seriously considering Kovac, they need to be shot into the sun. He makes the likes of Thomas Frank look like Guardiola by comparison.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8949 on: April 16, 2024, 08:09:52 pm »
If Edwards and FSG were seriously considering Kovac, they need to be shot into the sun. He makes the likes of Thomas Frank look like Guardiola by comparison.

Thing is, if they really were considering him it would be because of next level information they have that us mere mortals aren’t privy to, so you’d have to take the idea seriously…

But it does sound like a non-story, so as you were.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8950 on: April 16, 2024, 09:23:32 pm »
Sporting 1-0 up. One hand on the league title.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8951 on: April 16, 2024, 10:08:55 pm »
Easy work for Rubes, didn't even concede a shot on target. That's a bit of me! Get it done!!

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8952 on: April 16, 2024, 10:29:40 pm »
Niko Kovač: “There’s no truth to Liverpool links emerged in the recent days”.

“It’s not true”, told Sport & Talk at Hangar 7 on Servus TV.

:D
How many jobs has he been sacked from.

Laughable how some Hack has linked him to the job.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8953 on: April 16, 2024, 10:48:04 pm »
How many jobs has he been sacked from.

Laughable how some Hack has linked him to the job.

Probably took it from Orny "outside the box" comment.

I dont whether to throw Dave Wagner into the mix why not its just as wild !

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8954 on: April 16, 2024, 11:16:30 pm »
Can’t really stand to listen to Ornstein talk. Pompousness at unlistenable levels.
Comes across as a right c*nt that fella, its something in his delivery that makes me dislike him. Happy to see his tweets but never want to listen to him.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8955 on: April 16, 2024, 11:26:03 pm »
That's interesting from Ornstein that.

Amorim in but maybe not necessarily top candidate.

Hoeness may be in contention.

The comment of going left field and "not looking for applause but to get it right" may mean someone very different than what we expect.

Names that come to mind on this:

Frank
Motta
Fonseca
Kovac - although isn't he quite a defensive manager, and also not really that good in his last jobs
Hoeness
Slot
Roger Schmidt
Emrey

Hoeness excites me. He'd be my second choice behind Amorim. The job he's done at Stuttgart is mad and the data suggests he is the ideal fit stylistically. In fact, maybe he's my first choice.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8956 on: April 16, 2024, 11:28:29 pm »
Was reading on Hoeness, seems really flexible with his formation and trusts youth.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8957 on: April 16, 2024, 11:43:14 pm »
Uli Hoeness is like 80 years old for fucks sakes.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8958 on: April 16, 2024, 11:54:15 pm »
Spot on Samie.

We're just waiting for Man Utd to sack him first so we don't have to pay compensation.

Fuck sake that genuinely made me feel ill.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8959 on: April 17, 2024, 12:13:46 am »
Uli Hoeness is like 80 years old for fucks sakes.
It's his neph... shut the fuck up Samie.