Author Topic: Roy ignored advice from LFC board (Purslow) over selling players.  (Read 49506 times)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roy ignored advice from LFC board (Purslow) over selling players.
« Reply #560 on: December 14, 2010, 08:47:27 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/KwfQ2.gif

Roy's facerub redone, seriously funny!

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: December 14, 2010, 08:52:54 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/KwfQ2.gif

Roy's facerub redone, seriously funny!
Brilliant..Fucking brilliant.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline gandt

• Kopite
  • just lFC
« Reply #562 on: December 14, 2010, 08:57:11 pm »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #563 on: December 14, 2010, 09:35:39 pm »
Read with interest the thread regarding Gerrard and Carra's involvement in Rafa's demise since throwing my own two penneth in earlier on. Still don't buy it. Granted, Purslow may have sounded them out and received a less than favourable response about him which would only have confirmed what was apparent, Rafa was having problems back stage with some of the squad. Benny, Babel, Riera were three but he could swat them like flies and did. Torres, who knows but safe to say he was having his own crisis regarding fitness and was probably past caring either way. Pepe, who would be the best gauge, being Spanish Scouse, signs an extension to his contract which still had a couple of years to run, which made me think, all was well. How wrong I was. Was he not aware of this potential mutiny against his mentor?

As has been mentioned by others, Broughton had no choice but to side with Purslow against Rafa, knowing losing Purslow would mean the cowboys being able to co-opt one of their own to the board just as interest warms up for the sale of the club. It also suited Broughton's main objective. Purslow knows this too and rips Rafa's heart out Nasty, vindictive, bastard, that's true, but under differing circumstances it could have gone the other way and Rafa would not have blinked as he twisted the knife. Where was Kenny in all this I have often wondered? A friend to Rafa who brought him back into the fold. Mates also with Purslow apparantly. Could he not have used his good offices to counsel both? If Carra and Gerrard were driving this as some claim, Kenny would have to have known, for Gerrard and him are close, not sure about Carra. Would Kenny not have been a shoe in for the job in the aftermath? How the fuck did Hodgson get in the frame??

My guess is it was Broughton. He backed Purslow, so Purslow had to swallow it in return, for Broughton knew it would be better to have someone lukewarm, neutral, insipid like Roy at the helm, who could be easily disposed of if and when new owners deemed it necessary without the furore that sacking a populist manager like a Rafa, or a Kenny, or, God forbid, a Mourinho could ignite,  putting off potential buyers. It's a long game Broughton played and he played a blinder. It also helped that Roy was popular with journo's for we had had our fill of negative and downright malicious attacks on the club during and after Rafa's reign. Let's not jump on another bandwagon regarding Gerrard and Carra's involvement. There just ain't enough evidence. Pawns maybe, but instigator's?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #565 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:39 pm »
Yes.
We need a new manager to unite the team. If he can only do that by selling players, that's what he has to do. But he should give everyone a chance first.
No.

He is only selling players to cover his own arse. When we win he says the squad is better than Purslow advised and he's glad he used his own judgement to keep these players.

Then after anothe defeat in which he displays the coolness and clear thinking of a man with an hand grenade strapped to his bollocks he comes out with, nobody can do better with this set of players.

Fuck off Hodgson, you are an embarrassment. When exactly is anything your fault ?

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: December 14, 2010, 11:46:38 pm »
Yes.
We need a new manager to unite the team. If he can only do that by selling players, that's what he has to do. But he should give everyone a chance first.

We do need a manager who can unite the team and the appointment must be without input from the players.

I am pretty certain Purslow didn't compile that list on his own.

Hopefully a new manager will put an end to the input from senior players.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: December 15, 2010, 01:04:54 am »
I think he's a fucking liar and a snake.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt over the Rafa issue which I put down to being misinformed but was nevertheless annoyed by what I considered someone who didn't know the facts mouthing off.  Now however, he has contradicted himself a bit too many times for me to take his words at any face value.  During the summer whenever he was quizzed about transfers, it was Purslow who was running the operations.  Now however, he recounts a tale of extreme bravery where he stood up to the evil MD and didn't listen to his recommendations.  Which one is it ?  Before too long, I fully expect him to come out and say that Purslow was the one who decided and handled all the transfers in the summer and it was he who put a stop to it when he realises that by claiming he didn't heed to Purslow's advise, he would be clearly indicating that the dud transfer window we had was down to him.  He's self serving as they come.  Always ready to shift the blame on everyone else apart from himself and he has a bunch of media lapdogs who actually buy his bull shit and spout off about how a nice man has been treated unfairly etc.  He might be a nice guy in private but when it comes to managing he's nothing like a nice man.  He's a snake and the sooner we get rid of him, the better. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #568 on: December 15, 2010, 01:45:44 am »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #569 on: December 15, 2010, 08:35:39 am »
Did he have a plan? Was it Hodgson from earlier in the year as has been suggested? He clearly didn't realise the strength of feeling Dalglish would have about being the right man for the job or (unbelievably) he didn't have private chats with Dalglish beforehand saying what he was going to do.

There was a live interview with a BBC Radio 5 Live journalist on a Sunday morning with Purslow. The journalist referenced a telephone conversation he'd had with Purslow in Easter over Hodgson as a possible Liverpool manager.

To be honest, I think the plan was to replace Rafa with an anodyne replacement who would have the media onside (look at the difference the media coverage underwent in the run up to the takeover) and who'd at least keep heads above water should things go totally to pot. Doesn't excuse it, but there does seem to be a rationale behind it and it had been building all season and probably only delayed because of the strength of support shown to Rafa by the Kop on eg the Spurs match night.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #570 on: December 15, 2010, 11:30:59 am »
There was a live interview with a BBC Radio 5 Live journalist on a Sunday morning with Purslow. The journalist referenced a telephone conversation he'd had with Purslow in Easter over Hodgson as a possible Liverpool manager.

To be honest, I think the plan was to replace Rafa with an anodyne replacement who would have the media onside (look at the difference the media coverage underwent in the run up to the takeover) and who'd at least keep heads above water should things go totally to pot. Doesn't excuse it, but there does seem to be a rationale behind it and it had been building all season and probably only delayed because of the strength of support shown to Rafa by the Kop on eg the Spurs match night.

It definitely wasn't a football decision, from this time last year when the Hodgson for Liverpool bandwagon started Roy's Fulham took a pathetic 20 points from their last 21 League games and didn't win any of the their last 18 away games.

As for the change in the media coverage I think we mustn't overlook the fact that after Benitez's departure the Senior players called off their media hounds and the said journalists suddenly became pro-liverpool again.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #571 on: December 15, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »
It definitely wasn't a football decision, from this time last year when the Hodgson for Liverpool bandwagon started Roy's Fulham took a pathetic 20 points from their last 21 League games and didn't win any of the their last 18 away games.

As for the change in the media coverage I think we mustn't overlook the fact that after Benitez's departure the Senior players called off their media hounds and the said journalists suddenly became pro-liverpool again.

Don't disagree with you Al, but football seems to have had little to do with the decisions made last season and this summer just gone. Just saying that there does seem to be an underlying rationale rather than it being a power hungry CEO gone mad - Rafa's card had been marked long before the Hodgson bandwagon had started.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #572 on: December 15, 2010, 12:27:51 pm »
Don't disagree with you Al, but football seems to have had little to do with the decisions made last season and this summer just gone. Just saying that there does seem to be an underlying rationale rather than it being a power hungry CEO gone mad - Rafa's card had been marked long before the Hodgson bandwagon had started.

The only thing that seems to make any sense to me is that Hicks and Gillet brought Purslow in with the sole intention of undermining and removing Benitez. I think something that is getting lost in the carnage of last season is that Purslow was Hicks and Gillet's man and that he accomplished the thing they wanted most the removal of the man standing in the way of selling players to repay their loans.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Captain Wolf Biscuit

• There's a really funny story behind this actually. I'm captain of my local team and at one xmas party I wolfed down a soggy biscuit and behold! My username was born!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long Live The King
"Liverpool is my home and I will be back" - Rafa Benitez

An Internet Terrorist and proud of it.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: December 15, 2010, 12:53:50 pm »
The only thing that seems to make any sense to me is that Hicks and Gillet brought Purslow in with the sole intention of undermining and removing Benitez. I think something that is getting lost in the carnage of last season is that Purslow was Hicks and Gillet's man and that he accomplished the thing they wanted most the removal of the man standing in the way of selling players to repay their loans.

I agree with a lot of what you've said recently Al, but if Purslow was H&G's man then why did he bum them over the sale? I always thoguht he was a bank appointment really?

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #575 on: December 15, 2010, 12:57:36 pm »
  During the summer whenever he was quizzed about transfers, it was Purslow who was running the operations.  Now however, he recounts a tale of extreme bravery where he stood up to the evil MD and didn't listen to his recommendations.  Which one is it ?  Before too long, I fully expect him to come out and say that Purslow was the one who decided and handled all the transfers in the summer and it was he who put a stop to it when he realises that by claiming he didn't heed to Purslow's advise, he would be clearly indicating that the dud transfer window we had was down to him.  He's self serving as they come.  Always ready to shift the blame on everyone else apart from himself

He's not helping himself, is he?

There is no mystery regarding this "List".At LFC, along with all pro clubs, since time immemorial, the Manager and the Coaching staff deliver their "end of term report" to the Board a few weeks before the end of the season. It includes those whose contracts should not be renewed,those who should be made available for transfer and a  wish list of transfer targets. Famously, a "retained list" of all of those who are and are not being offered new contracts where there currenet ones expire is pinned to the team notice board. The decision to loan Aquilani and Insua would have been made on the basis of that recommendation.

Roy was in no position to argue the toss on that list, as he had insufficient time to make his own judgement. Saying he had no say is smart - as it absolves him from blame.Saying he did makes him look stupid, firstly because he is creatin trouble for himself, and secondly because it would inevitably have been a risky call.

I suspect that the truth was that he and Purslow sat down with the list, Hodgson queried a few names, and Purslow said "oh, alright then".

I agree with those who question Roys motivation for saying what he has said. What disappoints , and bewilders me, is that at a time when he should be concentrating on results, making unneccessary comments which actively harm him undermines his own credibility.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #576 on: December 15, 2010, 01:13:45 pm »

Think that's part of the reason Al, but only part of the broader picture - the big thing going on in the background was that the owners were looking for investment (not to sell mind if Purslow's statements on the record - and off it - are to be believed) and having the manager (supported by a large part of the matchgoing fan base - let's not be revisionist here, there was a significant number of people who were putting all the blame on the manager almost right to the end) at war with the owners wasn't going to be an attractive proposition to an investor wearing a business head. Purslow said his remit from the owners (and bankers too, perhaps more tellingly) was to find stability for the club. If 'senior players' and owners are disgruntled with the manager then the CEO has an easier time achieving 'stability' by pushing out the manager. We've seen similar things at other clubs after all. If the board and manager are not at war, then it would be the players who'd normally be pushed out - financial considerations not over-riding that however, some players sell a lot of shirts after all and are considered a key part of the 'brand' of their football club.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #577 on: December 15, 2010, 01:19:59 pm »
The only thing that seems to make any sense to me is that Hicks and Gillet brought Purslow in with the sole intention of undermining and removing Benitez.
But it doesn't make sense.

G&H gave Rafa a new five year £15m contract of their own accord.Then appointing a man to sack him  a few months later is a ridiculous suggestion.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: December 15, 2010, 01:36:06 pm »
The whole thing is over. Next steps will be important. Right manager, put players into the right place in order to prevent any form of too much player power and get started again in terms of football.

We all know who was responsible for that, it´s cleas as fuck. What a difference should it make why or who brought in Purslow. He was there and than linked together with Carra and Gerrard. They had too much power because the owners didn´t care anymore. Then the whole thing blew off and lead to as many bad decisions as possible in a period of only 6 month which set us back probably about two or three season again.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #579 on: December 15, 2010, 01:51:45 pm »
But it doesn't make sense.

G&H gave Rafa a new five year £15m contract of their own accord.Then appointing a man to sack him  a few months later is a ridiculous suggestion.

Things changed very quickly over those few months though Xerxes. Rafa had been in negotiations over a new contract since November 2008, finally signing in March 2009, just after Parry announced he was leaving at the end of the season. Purslow comes in around the time the loans were being refinanced in June/July (presumably with the agreement of the banks) - according to Rafa 'things changed' then, with tighter financial restrictions put into place at a time when another push for the title was expected but the owners were scrabbling around to reduce the debt to fulfill their obligations under that refinance.

Rafa in December 2009: "When I came here I knew you could do things properly and now it’s, “We have to have this or that right now'. People with big money invest and they want success as quickly as possible. I’m really happy here. I have four-and-a-half years left on my contract and I want to extend it in the future. When I decided to sign a new contract it was because I was sure I’d have some time to improve again. But some things have changed. Now is not the time to analyse everything."

He made a similar point after he left in the summer too that something had changed with Purslow's appointment - both in terms of financial constraints but also in what the owners were demanding from the team.