Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 72148 times)

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline biratl

• Anny Roader
  • ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
Re: Amazon Kindle
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2011, 04:55:12 am »
Lads, I'm looking to buy an ebook reader. I have too many articles to read for uni and its hard to read them all on a computer screen nor is it economical to print them all.

What's the best ebook reader out there? The kindle, the nook, or some other device? Also, I heard Amazon are holding a press conference on Sept. 28 and might possibly be releasing a new kindle. Is this information reliable? I'm looking to buy one as soon as possible but if there's something new/something that might drive down the price in the near future, I can afford to wait I suppose.

Cheers, lads.
If H&G told me the time, I'd check me watch at least 3 times.. twice to see they was telling the truth, and once to see if they'd stole it.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:24 am »
I'd say the Kindle is better.

As to whether it's any good for text books, I'm not sure. Having owned a Kindle and studied at university in the past, I'm not sure if I'd have used it for that purpose to be honest.

On the Amazon press conference, I'm pretty sure it's for the rumoured Amazon tablet - an iPad rival, if you like, and not a Kindle replacement.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2011, 12:42:58 pm »
I cant compare it to the rivals, biratl, because I've never used another, but I can't rate the Kindle highly enough. I'd be amazed if there was a better one!
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2011, 06:25:07 pm »
Lads, I'm looking to buy an ebook reader. I have too many articles to read for uni and its hard to read them all on a computer screen nor is it economical to print them all.

What's the best ebook reader out there? The kindle, the nook, or some other device? Also, I heard Amazon are holding a press conference on Sept. 28 and might possibly be releasing a new kindle. Is this information reliable? I'm looking to buy one as soon as possible but if there's something new/something that might drive down the price in the near future, I can afford to wait I suppose.

Cheers, lads.

I've recently bought a Kindle and have used other readers and there honestly is no comparison.  The screen, build quality and even the way you turn pages is just so much better.

The press conference will probably be for the tablet as someone else said, which might kock a few quid off the price.  However, if you buy from the amazon marketplace (from amazon wierdly) you can get a "refurbished" unit (mine was brand new, and so was every other person's who seems to have ordered one, it just didn't have the 3 pin adapter for the usb cable, although if you've got a smartphone you'll have one and they're about 2 quid online) for £80, which is a fantastic price in my eyes.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2011, 06:28:09 pm »

Cheers, lads.

If you can manage to put those articles from uni in a word document, just send them via mail to amazon and they will change the format for you, for free.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline biratl

• Anny Roader
  • ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2011, 02:50:57 am »
Cheers lads. Much appreciated.
If H&G told me the time, I'd check me watch at least 3 times.. twice to see they was telling the truth, and once to see if they'd stole it.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #247 on: September 28, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2011, 05:21:51 am »
Hmm that kindle fire looks tasty, and the price is fantastic as well!!

I'm probably deffo going to get one, I was gonna get an iPad but for a price like that, and the fact android UI looks fantastic and simple, is a bargain
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: September 29, 2011, 05:32:21 am »
Hmm that kindle fire looks tasty, and the price is fantastic as well!!

I'm probably deffo going to get one, I was gonna get an iPad but for a price like that, and the fact android UI looks fantastic and simple, is a bargain

Get an iPad because it actually does stuff, and anything the Fire does, the iPad does way better.

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2011, 05:50:14 am »
i'd avoid pitate bay if you're using torrents :)

Why? It's the only thing I use. And I've never had a problem with it. If you know what you're doing then it is perfectly safe

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2011, 06:37:07 am »
Get an iPad because it actually does stuff, and anything the Fire does, the iPad does way better.
Bit of a strange thing to say unless you have a Kindle Fire and an iPad to compare?
From what I have seen of the Kindle Fire on various web sites, it looks like a good peice of kit for the price and it ticks all the boxes for web browsing, app support etc.

Offline SuperScouse

• Anny Roader
  • Walk on through the wind
« Reply #252 on: September 29, 2011, 07:40:21 am »
Was thinking of buying a Kindle anyway but the new model has persuaded me, black and white non-touchscreen one that is, especially with a price cut. Don't see the need of a touchscreen really. Will have to pick one up

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2011, 08:35:12 am »
If you want an e-book reader, the e-ink screen black and white screen is superior to tablet screens. The battery life of the e-ink screen device is also brilliant - especially if you turn Wi-fi off most of the time. The Fire comes into play if books are not the principle driver.

The Fire and the IPad are in different markets. More compromises have been made on performance for the Fire - but then it is an awful lot cheaper. The Fire would not have been bought to market unless it was a very competent device - Amazon would not have risked their reputation. But no doubt it'll just be an excuse to reignite the Mac/PC fanboy wars.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:28 am »
To be fair the new ones are not that great. Improved on the the original with IPS display and touchscreen but still not access to the Android Market. Theyre releasing a 10"inch at some point but it is still a book reader. The great thing about this is price wise it will real create some good competition, especially with the recent HP Touchpad drop and Christmas coming. A touchscreen device, despite its lack of features is still dirt cheap. I'm sure some ROMs can be loaded on it since it is basically android and then you've got all features at your fingers for half the price.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2011, 11:07:14 am »
Why? It's the only thing I use. And I've never had a problem with it. If you know what you're doing then it is perfectly safe

No never used to have a problem myself either although since they were raided/busted/arrested whatever i tend to stear clear of the site. Far too public now and and far too many people watching. Use Isohunt or Demonoid myself

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:04 am »
To be fair the new ones are not that great. Improved on the the original with IPS display and touchscreen but still not access to the Android Market. Theyre releasing a 10"inch at some point but it is still a book reader. The great thing about this is price wise it will real create some good competition, especially with the recent HP Touchpad drop and Christmas coming. A touchscreen device, despite its lack of features is still dirt cheap. I'm sure some ROMs can be loaded on it since it is basically android and then you've got all features at your fingers for half the price.
  This kindle "fire" is as about as close to a book reader as the iPad, i.e. not even close to the original kindle in terms of readablilty .

And it does have access to android apps, it's just you get them from the amazon app store, which is basically the android market but more strict so there are no viruses  etc so it's more like the iOS app store.

I think this could be a hit, unlike the recent android devices that are more complex and directed at hard core users, this device is more simple (like the iPad) with a slick ui and the ability to download music,books,movies, apps on the go, just like IOS.

I'm going to get one if it turns out to be a good device, I have looked at all the specs and most of the "features" that are mission' i don't even use.

3g? I don't want another bill so this is another +

camera: I'm not going to be taking pictures with a 7 inch device, plus i haven't used a webcam in years.

I would say the biggest loss is the storage, but amazon is allowing you to upload your content into the cloud. either way, I'm would only use it for certain apps, browsing on the couch and listen to some music. For 200$ this seems like a bargain/

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »
The Fire looks superb for the price. I may get my daughter one so she'll leave my iPad alone.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline The China Fox

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2011, 12:21:44 pm »
Just got the original in the post...very, very impressive, it has to be said
This threads gone downhill fast.
It promised so much but failed dismally.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2011, 06:24:23 pm »
And it does have access to android apps, it's just you get them from the amazon app store, which is basically the android market but more strict so there are no viruses  etc so it's more like the iOS app store.

I would say the biggest loss is the storage, but amazon is allowing you to upload your content into the cloud. either way, I'm would only use it for certain apps, browsing on the couch and listen to some music. For 200$ this seems like a bargain/

For simply browsing at home while in front of the TV or walking around the house its probably perfect. Watching a film maybe then fair enough.

Just wanted to point out that although you can get some very good apps from the amazon app store the majority are not there. I think the Amazon store has 50k apps and the android market has 200,000. Never found a virus either, most likely found it apps that have only just been uploaded and they are in their own section so it can be up to the user.

The unlimited cloud storage is amazing it if turns out to be unlimited. Could even use it to store all music, films or whatever from your PC to save space on it. Don't know anything about it apart from that they claim its unlimited which would be huge for such a cheap tablet.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 1, 2011, 04:19:24 am »
For simply browsing at home while in front of the TV or walking around the house its probably perfect. Watching a film maybe then fair enough.

Just wanted to point out that although you can get some very good apps from the amazon app store the majority are not there. I think the Amazon store has 50k apps and the android market has 200,000. Never found a virus either, most likely found it apps that have only just been uploaded and they are in their own section so it can be up to the user.

The unlimited cloud storage is amazing it if turns out to be unlimited. Could even use it to store all music, films or whatever from your PC to save space on it. Don't know anything about it apart from that they claim its unlimited which would be huge for such a cheap tablet.
Unlimited cloud storage? That's great if true. Although I imagine It's restricted to content you got from amazon.

However if it isn't, that's amazing!

7 hours battery life if your watching movies,apparently, So i imagine if your just viewing the internet 10+ hours of battery life will be likely.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2011, 04:21:39 am by stevensr123 »

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 2, 2011, 05:21:51 pm »
Approx £130 for a Android tablet with a IPS screen. How can they make it so cheap? Loss leader in hope users will download/purchase from Amazon.

Apple will be worried. Yeah Apple has more users now, but Amazon has a database of 500m customers with credit card details pre-stored ready to order films via LoveFilm (that Amazon now owns) and music and books.

Offline hope_valley_parker

• Nosey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Found a better place to park....
« Reply #262 on: October 3, 2011, 07:58:35 am »
New model Kindle being advertised on Amazon. £89. That's pretty stunning value.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 3, 2011, 01:29:46 pm »
New model Kindle being advertised on Amazon. £89. That's pretty stunning value.

Not when its $79 in the US mate.

Offline hope_valley_parker

• Nosey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Found a better place to park....
« Reply #264 on: October 3, 2011, 01:55:59 pm »

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: October 3, 2011, 02:17:21 pm »
Like the look of the Kindle Fire, shame there's no news as to when we'll see it this side of the Atlantic.

That'll be without sales tax, though.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: October 3, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »

Not when the $79 version is ad-supported.

The £89 UK version is comparable to the non-ad-supported US version, which is $109. There is no UK ad-supported version yet.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: October 3, 2011, 02:27:21 pm »
Not when the $79 version is ad-supported.

The £89 UK version is comparable to the non-ad-supported US version, which is $109. There is no UK ad-supported version yet.

Aha, that makes sense then.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #268 on: October 3, 2011, 04:13:31 pm »
Right, my daughter has asked for one of these for Christmas. Do I get the 3G one, the non 3G one or the new Fire? Does the 3G one have an Internet browser on there for Facebook/Email/Surfing?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #269 on: October 3, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »
Right, my daughter has asked for one of these for Christmas. Do I get the 3G one, the non 3G one or the new Fire? Does the 3G one have an Internet browser on there for Facebook/Email/Surfing?

I have the 3g version. As an ebook reader its great, as an internet browser it struggles to be honest. The black and white screen means that its only really usable for browsing blogs and forums. However the 3g is unlimited so it is useful when abroad and you want to have a quick check on the news or whatever. I would say if your daughter is primarily looking for an ebook reader then she will be best off with the wireless version. However if she does want to do some internet browsing then the Fire might be best, but I don't know when the UK release date is.

“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #270 on: October 3, 2011, 07:00:13 pm »
Like the look of the Kindle Fire, shame there's no news as to when we'll see it this side of the Atlantic.

That'll be without sales tax, though.
sales tax is generally around the 8-9% mark, it won't add that much.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2011, 07:02:10 pm by King Richard IV »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 3, 2011, 07:16:09 pm »
I've only just found out there is a Minesweeper and Noughts and Crosses game hidden away on the Kindle
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #272 on: October 3, 2011, 07:31:35 pm »
I've only just found out there is a Minesweeper and Noughts and Crosses game hidden away on the Kindle
really? which kindle?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 3, 2011, 07:35:09 pm »
really? which kindle?

I don't the model I've got, probably the latest one.

On the Home screen hold down Shift and Alt and press M
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #274 on: October 3, 2011, 08:50:04 pm »
I don't the model I've got, probably the latest one.

On the Home screen hold down Shift and Alt and press M

Wow thanks for the heads up, I've got no idea why they don't advertise the games. Apparently there is also an image viewer:

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/kindle-3-hidden-features-include-2-games-image-viewer-screenshot-grab-20100930/
“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Pheeny

« Reply #275 on: October 9, 2011, 02:00:02 pm »
tempted to get the £89 version.Is there a way to convert other ebook formats etc so you can read them on the Kindle?

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: October 9, 2011, 02:02:36 pm »
tempted to get the £89 version.Is there a way to convert other ebook formats etc so you can read them on the Kindle?
this is the best way: http://calibre-ebook.com/

or you can email your document to the kindle and put convert in the subject.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #277 on: October 9, 2011, 02:28:12 pm »
I find caliber a bit 'clunky' but it does the job. Converted lots of ebooks to and from various formats like ePub and mobi with it

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: October 9, 2011, 02:34:40 pm »
cant seem to get any pdf books to convert correctly on it though. Think it has something to do with them being C++ books and technical book though.

Edit: After googling for a bit found this:
http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/
« Last Edit: October 9, 2011, 02:41:38 pm by JoeH »

Pheeny

« Reply #279 on: October 9, 2011, 04:18:59 pm »
so just tried to order one from Amazon UK but they won't deliver to Belgium and say I should order from the US.Don't want to do that as I'd probably get stung on import duty.Anyone know of anywhere I can get one in Europe.(English)