Author Topic: Fuel & energy prices  (Read 120534 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Fuel & energy prices
« Reply #1520 on: January 19, 2023, 06:16:24 pm »
Yeah, that doesn’t sound right. We live in a big house and have the heating on all the time now because of the cold and my dads illness and we’re not spending £180 a week, and that’s with 6 people in the house.

She's got 6 kids so I doubt it's impossible to spend that kind of money.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1521 on: January 19, 2023, 08:05:02 pm »
Again based on what Martin Lewis was saying in October 2% increase on the July price so that’s about £2245
We need to remember that this means we will be paying more than now.

We’re at £2500 now with a £400 discount over 6 months…. In other words effectively £2100

So, bills will go up.  But not as much as they might have
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1522 on: January 19, 2023, 08:52:45 pm »
We need to remember that this means we will be paying more than now.

We’re at £2500 now with a £400 discount over 6 months…. In other words effectively £2100

So, bills will go up.  But not as much as they might have

True, but better then the £3000 the government support was supposed to go up to and the £4000+ we were looking at 6 months ago.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1523 on: January 19, 2023, 10:17:08 pm »
True, but better then the £3000 the government support was supposed to go up to and the £4000+ we were looking at 6 months ago.
But up none the less…!

FFS… I just don’t want to collapse of shock when I take a meter reading .. is it too much to ask?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1524 on: January 20, 2023, 06:35:51 am »
Technically, your meter reading is unaffected by the price of fuel , but you know that 😃.
The point is valid though, prices are coming down but it's probably going to settle at about double what it used to be. Fuel poverty hasn't been mentioned in a while but a lot of people are facing it now.

Off on a tangent, but I discovered the electricity bill for my local chippy is £2k a month. I'd have thought it would be more.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1525 on: January 20, 2023, 08:05:32 am »
But up none the less…!

FFS… I just don’t want to collapse of shock when I take a meter reading .. is it too much to ask?

Think you need to a sparky to take a look at your meter if its giving you shocks.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1526 on: January 20, 2023, 08:45:02 am »
Think you need to a sparky to take a look at your meter if its giving you shocks.
It's those nails Tepid used to bypass the meter that's the problem.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1527 on: January 20, 2023, 08:47:32 am »
Maybe its wishful thinking that the energy suppliers could buy their future electric/gas now at the lower levels, and smooth what we are expected to pay in april.

Ie instead of paying at the £3000 rate for 6 months from april, then the £1500 rate from november for a year.  we pay a £2000 rate for 18 months from april - so short term they take a hit instead of the us but longer term it all evens out.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: January 20, 2023, 03:11:44 pm »
I don't think they can ?  They can agree to buy at a price in the future, bit that price will be based on the expected price in the future.

Which makes me think. Surely someone must have taken a hammering when the prices rocketed. The people we buy from will have fixed that price at much lower prices. And supply would have to be made at that price even though gas shot up?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1529 on: January 20, 2023, 03:12:57 pm »
I don't think they can ?  They can agree to buy at a price in the future, bit that price will be based on the expected price in the future.

Which makes me think. Surely someone must have taken a hammering when the prices rocketed. The people we buy from will have fixed that price at much lower prices. And supply would have to be made at that price even though gas shot up?

Which is why some suppliers went bust.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1530 on: January 20, 2023, 03:16:45 pm »
Cheers Redbyrdz.

Good point :)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1531 on: January 23, 2023, 12:25:16 pm »
Just pre-ordered this:

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1532 on: January 24, 2023, 10:32:07 am »
Anyone know anything more about the £200 people are getting if you use oil or LPG for heating?

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1533 on: January 24, 2023, 11:25:16 am »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1534 on: January 24, 2023, 12:48:39 pm »
Looks like it should happen automatically through your electricity provider:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-alternative-fuel-payment-afp-scheme-in-great-britain-guidance-for-electricity-suppliers
See Section 6.

Thanks. 

Weird though as I've not heard anything about it from them.  In fact it's the first I've heard of it even happening 🤷

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1535 on: January 27, 2023, 04:58:40 pm »
I've just submitted this month's meter reading for my electric and I can confirm that having and using the air fryer/mini oven instead of the main oven has cut our usage by 50 units on the same period last year 😯

In fact I've just checked back and the last month it was as low was last August!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:00:44 pm by reddebs »

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: February 1, 2023, 09:48:20 am »
Energy bills pushed up by electricity charge, research shows

The way electricity prices are set has pushed UK household bills up by £7.2bn over two years, analysis suggests.

Under existing rules, energy suppliers pay the highest price for wholesale electricity no matter how it is made.

Gas-fired power stations are the most expensive way to generate electricity, but only make about 40% of all electricity used by UK homes.

That means homes pay over the odds for power generated any other way, said the Carbon Tracker Initiative.

The think tank said if an average price was used instead the UK's electricity bill could be much lower, the not-for-profit climate think tank Carbon Tracker Initiative said.

The Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy said it had "already launched a major review" of the electricity market "to radically cut costs" for consumers in the long term.

It said it was consulting on changes that "would stop volatile gas prices setting the price of electricity produced by much cheaper renewables".

And it has imposed a temporary 45% windfall tax on renewables generators which it said would "help fund energy bill support for households and businesses".

In the past, electricity prices were linked to gas powered generation because it was the cheapest.

But the cost of gas-fired generation has soared in the past few years due to a surge in demand as economies recovered from the pandemic and the shock to supply due to Russia's war in Ukraine.

Charging an average price for wholesale electricity would have made the bill in the two years from 2021-22 £7.2bn lower, the Carbon Tracker Initiative said.

According to BBC calculations that's about £250 per household.

Under the existing rules, energy suppliers are forced to pay the highest price for wholesale electricity, with that cost passed on in bills.

But because wholesale gas prices have risen sharply since Russia invaded Ukraine, gas powered electricity generation has been more expensive than nuclear power and up to three times as expensive as renewables such as wind farms.

That has also meant windfall profits for firms that make renewable energy, which have been paid much more for their power than it costs them to generate.

For this reason the government also introduced a temporary 45% tax on what it calls "extraordinary returns" from low-carbon electricity generators in the UK.

The Carbon Tracker Initiative (CTI) found that if suppliers had instead paid closer to the average cost of generation across all forms including renewables, the cost of energy to consumers would have been lower.

Jonathan Sims, an energy analyst who wrote the CTI report, said the findings showed how the global gas market over the last two years had skewed British power prices.

He said these prices did not reflect the different technology the UK now uses to generate electricity.

The CTI's report takes into account the need for sources of power that can be fired up immediately such as gas-fired or nuclear, whereas wind power for example is weather-dependent.

The analysis also suggested Europe's most gas power-dependent countries, the UK and Italy, had consistently paid the highest prices for electricity during the recent period of gas price volatility.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64471262

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: February 1, 2023, 10:22:32 am »
^^

yeah but investment or something.... 🤷

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: February 1, 2023, 09:18:53 pm »
I've had an email today saying that as wholesale prices are stabilising we should see a reduction in our prices by July.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1539 on: February 1, 2023, 09:35:26 pm »
I've had an email today saying that as wholesale prices are stabilising we should see a reduction in our prices by July.

Yeah but price rise from April - July

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: February 1, 2023, 09:44:42 pm »
Yeah but price rise from April - July

Yeah up to average £3k in April down to £2.2k in July.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1541 on: February 1, 2023, 10:08:45 pm »
Yeah up to average £3k in April down to £2.2k in July.
A reminder that without the £60 a month discount, this will mean about an £80 per month increase for the average household in April.

In July, the lower price cap will mean prices will mean bills are back down to what we are paying now.

So, it’s going to get worse before it goes back to what it is now

(Apologies if this sounds negative, but we aren’t going to be paying any less for energy for quite some time.  Details here https://www.cornwall-insight.com/press/winter-2023-24-price-cap-forecasts-fall-further-below-2022-23-epg-but-long-term-prospects-remain-uncertain/
I’d rather people knew about it rather than finding a nasty shock in their bill in 3 months time. )
« Last Edit: February 1, 2023, 10:14:53 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1542 on: February 1, 2023, 10:15:18 pm »
I wonder if we’ll start seeing fixed offers return in the Summer if prices do start ‘coming down’
Thinking is overrated.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1543 on: February 1, 2023, 10:20:28 pm »
A reminder that without the £60 a month discount, this will mean about an £80 per month increase for the average household in April.

In July, the lower price cap will mean prices will mean bills are back down to what we are paying now.

So, it’s going to get worse before it goes back to what it is now

(Apologies if this sounds negative, but we aren’t going to be paying any less for energy for quite some time.  Details here https://www.cornwall-insight.com/press/winter-2023-24-price-cap-forecasts-fall-further-below-2022-23-epg-but-long-term-prospects-remain-uncertain/
I’d rather people knew about it rather than finding a nasty shock in their bill in 3 months time. )

At least it's not going to be as high as they were anticipating though I'm sure the government will find a way of taking any gains off us.

I've heard there's talk of a hike in fuel duty in the budget.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1544 on: February 1, 2023, 10:31:07 pm »
At least it's not going to be as high as they were anticipating though I'm sure the government will find a way of taking any gains off us.

I've heard there's talk of a hike in fuel duty in the budget.
It will be worse in April though. That’s the issue.  Quite a lot worse. 

And fuel duty is due to rise 12p in April (I think that’s the right number). There’s talk of them cancelling this, but the country is broke due to these utter incompetents running it
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1545 on: February 1, 2023, 11:00:03 pm »
It will be worse in April though. That’s the issue.  Quite a lot worse. 

And fuel duty is due to rise 12p in April (I think that’s the right number). There’s talk of them cancelling this, but the country is broke due to these utter incompetents running it

I think they’ll scrap the 12p increase as the fuel support isn’t going to cost as much as expected with gas prices coming down.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: February 2, 2023, 07:12:10 am »
Shell announces profits of 32.2b last year, up from 15b prior year.  Breaking news on the beeb

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1547 on: February 2, 2023, 08:01:59 am »
Shell announces profits of 32.2b last year, up from 15b prior year.  Breaking news on the beeb

Highest ever in 115 year history as well.

Seriously though. Every oil company has made shattering and mind blowing profits last year and common people are getting fucked left right and center.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1548 on: February 2, 2023, 08:43:51 am »
Water bills to go up 7.5% on average to £448 a year.

This is at least a below inflation rise but will still hit home as you cannot shop around for your water despite privatisation.

Yet they will still dump literal tons of raw sewerage into the rivers and oceans and the tory government will just smile and sign the cheques

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1549 on: February 2, 2023, 09:13:25 am »
Where is the breaking point for the general public when it comes to oil companies? Every person reading this pays more tax than shell. The company paid more to shareholders than they did on renewables. Oil companies and oil are a cancer on this planet.

No doubt when Sunak’s Tories got this news, their only concern was how to spin it so we don’t see the absolute failure of this government to purposefully tackle both inequality and climate change. Worse, they’re absolutely complicit.

c*nts. All of them.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2023, 09:16:10 am by thejbs »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1550 on: February 2, 2023, 09:43:18 am »
Where is the breaking point for the general public when it comes to oil companies? Every person reading this pays more tax than shell. The company paid more to shareholders than they did on renewables. Oil companies and oil are a cancer on this planet.

No doubt when Sunak’s Tories got this news, their only concern was how to spin it so we don’t see the absolute failure of this government to purposefully tackle both inequality and climate change. Worse, they’re absolutely complicit.

c*nts. All of them.

Indeed.  Big Oil are absolute bastards!  I'd feed them the oil they so badly crave!

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1551 on: February 2, 2023, 09:52:33 am »
Apparently, we must enact wage restraint, otherwise it'll increase inflation  ;)

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1552 on: February 2, 2023, 10:04:40 am »
What laws are in place (or have been enacted) to prevent these greedy thieving corporations from exploiting any international situation?

Prices increased when there was an anticipation of reduced supply at the start of the war. Fair enough. But when that was addressed, and oil barrel prices fell back to 2020 levels, why was nothing done to reflect that on the end-customer prices? Why did we have to pay a 40% premium on a liter of petrol/diesel since September 2022?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1553 on: February 2, 2023, 10:07:11 am »
What laws are in place (or have been enacted) to prevent these greedy thieving corporations from exploiting any international situation?

Prices increased when there was an anticipation of reduced supply at the start of the war. Fair enough. But when that was addressed, and oil barrel prices fell back to 2020 levels, why was nothing done to reflect that on the end-customer prices? Why did we have to pay a 40% premium on a liter of petrol/diesel since September 2022?

It's called Capitalism / trickle down economics mate.  It's a proven winner for the few at the top!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1554 on: February 2, 2023, 10:07:38 am »
Another scandalous story doing the rounds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64491243

British Gas admits agents break into struggling customers' homes

The boss of British Gas owner Centrica has said he is horrified that debt collectors have broken into vulnerable customers' homes to fit energy meters.

The Times found debt agents working for British Gas expressed excitement at putting meters in the homes of people who had fallen behind on energy bills.

"This happened when people were acting on behalf of British Gas. There is nothing that can be said to excuse it," Chris O'Shea told the BBC.

The firm has suspended installations.

#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1555 on: February 2, 2023, 10:49:27 am »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1556 on: February 2, 2023, 10:58:08 am »
My favourable fixed rates for energy are ending on 1st April so my fabulous dad has listed my usage from the last few years (yes he is retired). Any asking for a ridiculous monthly amount I hope can be met with my best Martin Lewis impression of what I really should be paying, as my usage over the years has been pretty consistent.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1557 on: February 2, 2023, 11:01:28 am »
So we've had some companies switching smart meters to prepay remotely without telling customers. Now we have warrants being used to access peoples homes.

So what's the purpose of OFGEM then?

Like most regulatory or supervisory bodies, it's full of professional meeting attender careerists who are useless at doing what they are meant to do.

But rest assured, their privacy policy will be up to date, you won't be able to speak to them if you've got an account in joint names, everything they do will be full of buzzwords. Useless.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #1558 on: February 2, 2023, 11:06:02 am »
Another scandalous story doing the rounds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64491243

British Gas admits agents break into struggling customers' homes

The boss of British Gas owner Centrica has said he is horrified that debt collectors have broken into vulnerable customers' homes to fit energy meters.

The Times found debt agents working for British Gas expressed excitement at putting meters in the homes of people who had fallen behind on energy bills.

"This happened when people were acting on behalf of British Gas. There is nothing that can be said to excuse it," Chris O'Shea told the BBC.

The firm has suspended installations.

This happened to me about 7 years ago, I was in a rental property which was all electric and no gas. I kept getting gas bills so called them and explained I'm a new tenant and the lady they want isn't living here anymore, Also explained how the property is now 100% electric and no gas. fast forward a year and I get home from work one day to find someone from British gas, a police officer and a bailiff all standing in my living room after fitting me a PAYG gas meter. How the engineer didn't see that the gas isn't even switched on is amazing really.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1559 on: February 2, 2023, 11:18:44 am »
So we've had some companies switching smart meters to prepay remotely without telling customers. Now we have warrants being used to access peoples homes.

So what's the purpose of OFGEM then?

Like most regulatory or supervisory bodies, it's full of professional meeting attender careerists who are useless at doing what they are meant to do.

But rest assured, their privacy policy will be up to date, you won't be able to speak to them if you've got an account in joint names, everything they do will be full of buzzwords. Useless.

An element of that, sure, but their remit and powers are set by government.

And, as we know, successive governments since the 80's have sucked corporate cock. So bodies like Ofgem (Ofwat, Ofcom, etc) are deliberately neutered in what they can do.

Modern Britain is all about shysters making money.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"