Author Topic: His Dark Materials - TV Series [Please use Spoiler tags]  (Read 17799 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: His Dark Materials - TV Series
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2020, 03:34:27 pm »
Only just able to venture in here as I e caught up with the show....(not a book reader and I was hugely put off by the film which was a mess and didn't get any of the grand ideas across).

Really enjoyed this show; season two has really developed from the first and though there are a few holes here and there it's been a great ride.

Season two has been great, a third and last season already confirmed. They were hoping to start shooting in the spring.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2021, 09:20:22 pm »
They have started shooting series three, James McAvoy was interviewed today and said it would possibly be released early next year. Though he admitted he doesn't know for definite.  ;D

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2021, 11:20:39 pm »
I'm struggling to remember if I saw the second series, or just read the book. That suggests it's a great adaptation.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2021, 08:23:10 am »
I'm struggling to remember if I saw the second series, or just read the book. That suggests it's a great adaptation.

I will do a re-run of the whole series just before season 3 begins. Series 2 was the best one.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2021, 10:03:58 am »
I will do a re-run of the whole series just before season 3 begins. Series 2 was the best one.

Can't wait for the new season, hopefully they can also film the episode they lost last season and show it as a flash back seeing it was the James McAvoy one and meeting the angels

It will be interesting to see how they managed to show and film some of the stuff that happens in book 3
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2021, 12:23:08 pm »
Can't wait for the new season, hopefully they can also film the episode they lost last season and show it as a flash back seeing it was the James McAvoy one and meeting the angels

It will be interesting to see how they managed to show and film some of the stuff that happens in book 3

I’m wondering if the “missing” episode will turn up with the DVD they will release at the end of the show. I haven’t brought any of the DVD’s saving my money for the final three set one. That would be the obvious thing to do, can’t see it being shown on the television. You are right book 3 gets very mad, if you haven’t read the books it will seem like an entirely new show.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2021, 12:49:22 pm »
You are right book 3 gets very mad, if you haven’t read the books it will seem like an entirely new show.

I'm getting a Chorlton & The Wheelies vibe

;D
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2021, 01:24:06 pm »

;D

Hahahaha. Now that would be ace.
I wish I could draw. Would be great to put down on paper how I see it and how it compares. But I am so crap with a pen it will look more like Shaquiri.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2021, 02:22:28 pm »

;D

I can’t say I remember that one. 😀

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2021, 02:26:15 pm »
That'll be your Alzheimer's.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2021, 03:13:09 pm »
That'll be your Alzheimer's.

😀

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2021, 03:22:56 pm »

Was late 70's/early 80s. Bit before your time.  ;)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2021, 05:23:07 pm »
A lot of stuff regarding series three has hit twitter today including new cast members. The show itself according to Radio Times is unlikely to be shown until the autumn of 2022. I read an interview which said it takes at least eight more months after actual filming has finished to do the CGI action and the VFX stuff is what takes the time and there will be a lot for series three.  The new cast members are:

Kobna Holdbrook-Smith as Balthamos
Simon Harrison as Baruch
Jamie Ward as Father Gomez
Chipo Chung as Xaphania
Amber Fitzgerald-Woolfe as Ama (possibly the location may have changed from the Himalayas setting, as she is white)
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is Commander Ogunwe.

Filming is officially now underway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2021, 07:56:28 pm »
This is an interview about series three and the trilogy generally, it's a conversation between Ruth Wilson and Philip Pullman. I warn everyone though there is a big spoiler at the beginning, so if you don't want to know, don't look at it.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2021, 11:47:39 pm »
Series three has officially wrapped tonight.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2021, 06:01:19 pm »
First glimpse of series three in some pictures from the official site.

https://twitter.com/darkmaterials/status/1473654879277264898?s=20

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2022, 05:16:35 pm »
I may as well put it in here. I'm going to the cinema tonight to see the Book of Dust play that's on in the West End at the moment. It's based on the first book of the new trilogy that Pullman's written La Bell Sauvage I am Looking forward to this.  :)

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2022, 07:44:15 pm »
I may as well put it in here. I'm going to the cinema tonight to see the Book of Dust play that's on in the West End at the moment. It's based on the first book of the new trilogy that Pullman's written La Bell Sauvage I am Looking forward to this.  :)

That sounds like a cool way to spend the evening. Hope you enjoy it. I thought the book was great and very imaginative, so fascinating to know how they create some of the scenes for the stage
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2022, 11:35:39 pm »

That sounds like a cool way to spend the evening. Hope you enjoy it. I thought the book was great and very imaginative, so fascinating to know how they create some of the scenes for the stage

It was a buzz, as you said learning how they adapted it to stage was amazing. The water sequences alone were so incredible, rather ironic too considering we have our own storm coming down on us. It was two and a half hours but it went so quickly. Bonneville’s hyena daemon was so scary. I will be hearing that laugh all night! I wish they’d done the Farder Coram scene, but it’s  understandable they couldn’t fit everything in.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2022, 05:59:20 pm »
Didn't read anything in the thread - but am looking forward to watching this now that I finished the books....

The books were a tough read - I'm not sure if they were poorly written, or just confusing, or just had numerous plot holes. Maybe I'm being too critical.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2022, 07:40:57 pm »
Didn't read anything in the thread - but am looking forward to watching this now that I finished the books....

The books were a tough read - I'm not sure if they were poorly written, or just confusing, or just had numerous plot holes. Maybe I'm being too critical.

I loved the books from an early age, read them a few times since and I always get something different from them each time. I know the first time I read them some of the scientific stuff went over my head. But the next time I read them I then started really appreciating that part of the book. But it's mainly the characters that get me each time, some of my favourite characters in any book. What did you find really tough about it?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2022, 12:09:54 am »
I loved the books from an early age, read them a few times since and I always get something different from them each time. I know the first time I read them some of the scientific stuff went over my head. But the next time I read them I then started really appreciating that part of the book. But it's mainly the characters that get me each time, some of my favourite characters in any book. What did you find really tough about it?

It seemed so muddled from the second half of the 2nd book through about the first half of the 3rd book. The whole world with the rolling beasts was just weird was the world of the dead.

It seemed so rushed in the 3rd book.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2022, 06:29:56 pm »
It seemed so muddled from the second half of the 2nd book through about the first half of the 3rd book. The whole world with the rolling beasts was just weird was the world of the dead.

It seemed so rushed in the 3rd book.

Each to their own I guess. The third book is my favourite and I loved all the stuff about the mulefa and Mary's relationship with them. Also, the world of the dead for me was a huge part of the story. It brilliantly showed just how far Lyra had come from the brattish kid in Northern Lights.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #143 on: April 6, 2022, 03:34:55 pm »
I can't wait for the new series.

I was reading they wanted to make the final book into two series because so much crazy stuff goes on but in the end settled for 8 episodes.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 6, 2022, 07:54:53 pm »
I can't wait for the new series.

I was reading they wanted to make the final book into two series because so much crazy stuff goes on but in the end settled for 8 episodes.

There will be a HDM panel at the BFI on May 20-22nd about series three, exciting seeing these events back on. I think it was Jane Tranter who was speaking about their being two possible series for the third book. She has since said it works really well with eight episodes, time will tell. I am looking forward to it that first trailer though.  :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2022, 05:12:15 pm »
I spotted this on youtube it's the panel which had Ruth Wilson talking about portraying Mrs Coulter at the BFI recently.

https://youtu.be/mF2lhM26b00

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2022, 05:36:02 pm »
Various members of cast and crew are going to be at the Edinburgh TV Festival next month. So I am suspecting the first trailer for series three will be released then. While there has been no official confirmation of a starting date, I am guessing it will be November 2022.

https://twitter.com/EdinburghTVFest/status/1547626838276521985?s=20&t=M27JcrjcTFv2vuOcJQInrA

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2022, 05:48:23 pm »
I hope they didn't give to much away in the trailer.

Can't wait for the new series.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2022, 06:06:47 pm »
I hope they didn't give to much away in the trailer.

Can't wait for the new series.

They usually do about two of them, the second series the first trailer I was amazed how much they showed, but the second one was quite a bit shorter from memory. I imagine they will have to be a bit careful as it all goes a bit mad in book three. They won't want to give too much away.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2022, 08:36:53 pm »
I have been following some stuff on twitter tonight. It sounds as if series three will begin on the 6th of December and so far the critics have been really positive about what they've seen so far. Hopefully the first trailer will follow soon.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 3, 2022, 09:19:02 pm »
This is an interesting read on series three of the show. It does have some spoilers though, if you don't want to be spoilt don't go in! They are due to be in comic con in New York on Thursday, could well get a trailer there.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #151 on: October 3, 2022, 10:03:42 pm »
Damn everytime this thread comes back to the top I hope a series 3 trailer had been released

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 3, 2022, 10:08:48 pm »
Damn everytime this thread comes back to the top I hope a series 3 trailer had been released

Sorry, getting your hopes up again. 😀. Maybe on Thursday though they usually have something.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 7, 2022, 04:47:45 pm »
Series three trailer has arrived. Looks epic.  :D

https://youtu.be/9Rb78VK36zM

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #154 on: October 7, 2022, 05:40:07 pm »
Series three trailer has arrived. Looks epic.  :D

https://youtu.be/9Rb78VK36zM

Yes it looks brilliant and they didn't give to much away.

I was just reading they are doing 2 episodes on Dec 5th not  sure if that will be both the BBC and HBO or just HBO

Cant wait.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 7, 2022, 05:48:56 pm »
Yes it looks brilliant and they didn't give to much away.

I was just reading they are doing 2 episodes on Dec 5th not  sure if that will be both the BBC and HBO or just HBO

Cant wait.

Yes, the BBC have been quiet about this. But I think HBO kicked it off as they were in America doing the panel last night. I would expect the BBC to stop advertising the show a bit more now. Maybe then we will see if it's the same time or not. I have a feeling the BBC will start it on the Sunday night instead of Monday in the States.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #156 on: October 7, 2022, 06:01:40 pm »
Maybe the BBC will get around it by showing say one on Saturday and one on Sunday something like that then go one a week otherwise the BBC will show the final one week after HBO.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 7, 2022, 06:03:10 pm »
Maybe the BBC will get around it by showing say one on Saturday and one on Sunday something like that then go one a week otherwise the BBC will show the final one week after HBO.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that.  :thumbup

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #158 on: October 8, 2022, 02:12:11 pm »
Good point, I hadn't thought about that.  :thumbup
The other thing is that it's now slap bang in the middle of the World Cup, I think the knockouts are starting that weekend so that'll cause a lot of flux with the BBC schedules.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 8, 2022, 02:18:23 pm »
The other thing is that it's now slap bang in the middle of the World Cup, I think the knockouts are starting that weekend so that'll cause a lot of flux with the BBC schedules.

I've really had nothing to do with this World Cup, but this probably goes someway to explain the delay. It's a bit weird that they are not even advertising the show considering its the last series and the most dramatic. That might have something to do with HBO though, I imagine they have a bit of say in it as well. Another reason for me to despise the timing of this WC, as its going to mess with this terrific show.  :butt