Author Topic: Miscarriage  (Read 9017 times)

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Miscarriage
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:20:57 pm »
Not too sure where else to post this and couldn't find another thread.

Me and the Mrs went for our 10 week dating scan last Tuesday at the hospital and they couldn't find a heartbeat. We went for an early reassurance scan at a private place around 6 weeks where they did find a heartbeat, to which the hospital told us that because we've already seen a heartbeat that the pregnancy isn't progressing and to 'expect the worse' - they want us to go back this Tuesday for another scan to be doubly sure but not to get our hopes up. In the meantime we've been for another private scan rather than wait the whole week and they couldn't find a heartbeat either, so it does look like we've lost the baby - obviously the mrs and I are devastated. They're saying it's probably a missed miscarriage - the body still thinks it's pregnant which is why we've had no signs of miscarriage.

The hospital have told us that if they don't find a heartbeat on Tuesday that they'll take us to the ward to discuss our options, which are looking like 1. A D&C, 2. A pill to force the miscarriage or 3. Sit it out and wait for the miscarriage to happen. Everyone we've spoken to says the D&C is probably the better option, has anyone been through this before and what can we expect? Also, trying my best to support the mrs to get us through this difficult time, we're both grieving - I can't imagine what's going through her mind. I don't think we'll ever 100% get over it, suppose I'm looking for some sort of reassurance that things will 'get better' for us.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: Miscarriage
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 09:28:09 pm »
I read that and my eyes started watering. I just don't know what to say to you, I have no comprehension of how you and your missus must be feeling right now and I don't know what else to say except to offer my deepest condolences to the both of you. Life is extremely cruel.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:53 pm »
I read that and my eyes started watering. I just don't know what to say to you

My feelings too.....

I'm sure we all wish you the best, i hope you get some more constructive/helpful replies from people who have been in this terrible situation ....  Hixx.
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »
My heart goes out to you and your missus. There's not much on here and very little discussion anywhere in real life. Miscarriage is one of those things that happens in people's lives and the crushing horror at the time makes it difficult to discuss it openly afterwards. Which is why I would be willing to share with you by DM, but not in this thread. Stay strong for yourself, and for your wife.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:58:54 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear this, it must be horrific to experience. Stay strong for yourself and your wife, I can't offer much advice as I have never been in such a situation.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:53 am »
So sorry.  :(

As a word of encouragement though, I have friends who went through this and they seem to have recovered as best you can. I don't know how they are in private moments, but outwardly they seem quite happy.  I'm sure you never fully get over it, and that's understandable.

Good luck my friend.  :)
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:27:58 am »
Things will get better but it never leaves you. Keep strong.

As for your question about best methods I agree with the people who advised you to go for a D&C. It happened to me a few years ago and the doctors waited for two weeks to keep checking, because of this I haemorrhaged and was rushed into surgery - I was an extreme case but it can happen. Also, although it sounds bad a D&C is a definite end and you can then move on rather than having it hang over you both for a while whilst you wait for the natural conclusion.

It is a hard thing to get over and as earlier posters have said it's hard to talk about but you will move on. Keep trying when you have both recovered and be there for your partner. It's a tough thing for a woman and her body so just be there for her and each other.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 02:39:37 am »
All the best mate. Be there for her as best you can.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:16:58 am »
Been there mate. And you're right. You'll never 100% get over it. But it will get better and, if you go on to have another baby your feelings for it will be beyond description. And remember almost all women who miscarry go on to have perfectly successful pregnancies. Dont let it put you off trying again. All the best to you

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:35:37 am »
Been there and its horrendous. I'd know people go through it before and although I thought it was sad for them I didnt really understand how bad it actually is till my mrs went thru it almost 2 years ago.

As bad as you feel your mrs will feel it 100 times worse. Its also something people don't understand like I didn't and its almost a bit taboo as its not really discussed out in the open.

All you can do is be there - bizarrely it brought us closer together I think than ever but its an almightly stress in my experience.

Ours was slightly compounded by the fact my mrs was told 15 years earlier that it was highly unlikely she could have kids due to a medical condition so it was going from a massive high to the lowest of lows in a matter of 6 or 7 weeks. We just felt cheated. More you open up to people the more you find out people have gone through similar. It won't make you feel any better but just goes to show its more common than you'd imagine.

Hardest thing I found was just how matter of fact the hospital were about it all - maybe i was just a bit naive and I suppose its something they deal with all day every day but it was quite impersonal especially as your in an ER with pregnant women sort of rubs salt in the wounds a little bit more.

It will get better - but its going to take a while.

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 09:27:12 am »
Hi,

sorry for your loss, me and my missus have been through the same.

I wouldnt advise the pill option. - My missus did that, waited two weeks and part of the lining didnt come away, they did it again ( another week ) and some still remained.

She then went in for the D & C, she went in about 9 and was out but 1.30. She was fine the next day no problems at all.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 11:01:11 am »
I am so so sorry.  My heart and prayers go out to you both.  :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 11:04:31 am »
I'm wholly gutted for you mate, this is a million miles away from my experience. I have however asked someone who's been there, their thoughts to offer some advice (hope thats ok)

Once she's come back to me, i'll post their reply.

My thoughts are with you guys.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 11:15:51 am »
Me and my partner have been there too. It's not a nice experience (we weren't too sure how far she was along, 8 weeks maybe). There's nothing either one of you could of done to prevent this, so you can't blame yourselves. Her body has rejected (now its not a nice way however you refer to such a thing...... a baby, a feotus, but ultimately something she was emotionally attached too) something you both loved but it happened for a reason.

My partners miscarriage happened naturally but she needed the pill to help it along, a painful experience and its quite horrific both physically and mentally. I'd suggest going for the D & C, there's always gonna be an emptiness there and its something that won't truly ever go but you do get over it to a certain extent and (i don't know if this is your partners first pregnancy) it doesn't mean its gonna happen again. Me and her now have two kids after what happened and there both happy and healthy.

Stay strong.

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 11:39:04 am »
Me and the mrs have recently had two missed miscarriages within the last 4 months. It's a heart breaking experience seeing the scan and realising their is no heartbeat, try your best to support your mrs emotionally, its very hard to accept as there isn't a real reason for it. Your Mrs will continue to experience symptoms of being pregnant and this was one of the hardest parts my Mrs struggled with. Our first missed miscarriage was at 8 weeks and 5 days the second was near on 10 weeks.

Be prepared to continue to support her afterwards as she will feel like the world expects her to get over it easy. With my Mrs best friend pregnant along with my sister who is due when our first pregnancy should of been due its hard.

The main bit of advice I can give is don't bottle up your emotions, I did this thinking I was being strong for her however she felt I became distant and blamed herself for it.

In terms of procedures first time round we tried medical management which was the pills that attempt to bring on the miscarriage as it were. We were in hospital for this, it was painful for her with a lot of blood, the procedure didn't work as the baby remained intact so we had to have a D&C anyways which was quite a quick procedure.

Afterwards she experienced some pain for a few days with bleeding but did begin to physically heal at least. Again the emotional side of it was very difficult, I wouldn't say there is a set timeframe on recovery. My Mrs at the time was in the final stages of qualifying as a midwife with the university not being understanding at all she had to rush back to work to finish her remaining shifts otherwise risk not qualifying at all.

Second time round which was about 6 weeks ago we decided on having a D&C again, unfortunately the procedure wasn't successful, there remained some tissue that had a blood supply so two weeks ago we had to return to hospital for another D&C to extract the remaining tissue.

If you go down this root keep an eye out for signs of infection as well as blood clots. Luckily for me with my Mrs being a midwife she was aware of the symptoms and acted on them quickly.  Don't take no shit from the hospital either.

If you need any advice of wish to talk privately feel free to drop me a PM.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:07 pm »
Thoughts with all of you, this stuff is so raw, even years later. It's so rarely discussed.  It's the weirdest thing in modern society, such a taboo, but I think it's because anyone who has experienced it still has a raw wound years later. People who haven't experienced it have sympathy for you. For those who have experienced it, their empathy is really emotional for them too. I told a female friend with three teenage children about our experiences, and with tears on her face she told me how she still thought about her lost child. When I see families with age gaps between their children I sometimes wonder about the reason for the gap.

There are some good honest comments in the thread too.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 12:24:24 pm »
It's far more common than you think and whilst obviously very traumatic at the time, especially with what your missus has to go through you will both recover from it. Fingers crossed for you that in a few months time you will be back in that hospital under far happier circumstances.

It's something that isn't talked about a great deal but after we went through it it was amazing how many others had been through similar.

I don't mean any of that to sound too matter of fact and flippant. My thoughts are with you both - it will just make things all the sweeter when that first baby does arrive. Good luck.

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 03:31:18 pm »
Thanks for all the words of support and also everyone who has PM'd me.

We're at the hospital tomorrow for the next scan but we both know what's coming. I'm hoping that they'll be able to book us in for the D&C same day rather than having to wait longer and have it lingering over us.

Again, thanks for all the kind words and thoughts.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:52 pm »
Me and my Mrs had to go to the early pregnancy unit today because she had a bit of bleeding. We had our 3 month scan due in 2 weeks but when we went today they found no heartbeat and the foetus had seemed to stop growing a few weeks back.

We prepared ourselves for the worst and I think that's helped us really. We have got another appointment in a couple of weeks to make sure everything is ok. To add to everything the next appointment is the date we had for our dating scan.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 08:29:34 pm »
Cochise mate and l2k83, really sorry to hear that. Words are no comfort, but comfort your bird she'll be feeling bad, women do, its their thing, but us fellas feel it as well, we're just not meant to show it.... thats what blokes do isn't it!?

Be strong lads - it will happen and when it does, there is no smile bigger, thats why there are no tears wetter right now.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 08:57:07 pm »
Cochise mate and l2k83, really sorry to hear that. Words are no comfort, but comfort your bird she'll be feeling bad, women do, its their thing, but us fellas feel it as well, we're just not meant to show it.... thats what blokes do isn't it!?

Be strong lads - it will happen and when it does, there is no smile bigger, thats why there are no tears wetter right now.

Cheers, Chopper.
JFT96 - YNWA

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline martinf

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool FC is my religion, Anfield is my church
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 09:19:32 pm »
Words fail me....I can see from your courage sharing this that you and your good lady will find a way through this...deepest condolences and prayers
A Liverbird upon my chest

JFT96 - We have the Truth, now give the 96 Justice and bring those responsible to account for their actions.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 09:36:52 pm »
That's a shit one and a shit one the wife and I have been through.

Ours happened at 19 weeks, November 4th 2006, the same week as a good friend of ours took his own life, I've had better weeks.

Without doubt the worst few days of our lives, 2 nights in a hospital whilst we waited for 'him' to pass through her body, be prepared, it's a horrible experience.

Stay strong though, on the plus side, we now have a fantastic 6 year old lad, he's the best thing in our world.

Be there for her, her head and body will be all over the place for a while. Talk to your friends about it, you'll be surprised how many of them have experiences, it's an unspoken subject.

Time will heal.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #23 on: April 1, 2014, 09:02:03 am »
I'm the proud father of 2 beautiful children aged 8 and 11.

When we started trying to make babies many moons ago my wife got pregnant and everything was fantastic. Then after 9 weeks she woke up one early morning with blood down her legs so we rushed to the hospital only to find out she'd had a miscarriage. Many days and sleepless nights followed for her because of all the thoughts running riot in her head. Luckily for us she got pregnant after 4 months again and the outcome was our beautiful girl.

Fast forward 3 years and the same scenario happened all over again. Only this time we had an experience to draw from. Roughly 4 months after her second miscarriage she got pregnant and the outcome was our beautiful boy.

Instead of trying to write something meaningful I'll quote Nick because he's nailed what I actually wanted to say.

It's far more common than you think and whilst obviously very traumatic at the time, especially with what your missus has to go through you will both recover from it. Fingers crossed for you that in a few months time you will be back in that hospital under far happier circumstances.

It's something that isn't talked about a great deal but after we went through it it was amazing how many others had been through similar.

I don't mean any of that to sound too matter of fact and flippant. My thoughts are with you both - it will just make things all the sweeter when that first baby does arrive. Good luck.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #24 on: April 2, 2014, 06:21:07 pm »
My heart goes out to everyone in this thread and to anyone who has ever gone through this. The fact that it’s more common than you realise does nothing to ease the pain of it. And the effects can be longer-lasting than you realise once the initial grief has faded.

Me and my missus got married in 2006, both in our mid-30s and fully understood that statistically we were getting on a bit to be starting a family, but by no means past it. Unfortunately, since then we’ve had one pregnancy that went six weeks, which was difficult enough, then a second that went right up to the 12 week milestone after which the risk of things going wrong begins to drop significantly apparently.

That second one was much worse. Absolutely slayed us. We were so happy and excited, then terrified when some bleeding appeared at around 10 weeks, then so relieved when the scan which followed an excruciating wait at the hospital showed a healthy heart beat and everything normal. Then two weeks later, devastation. Up down, up down. Bang.

The emotions really caught me off guard. God knows what a psychologist would make of it, but it can rip the strongest of relationships apart. My wife was devastated. We both were of course, but her pain was more acute. I hated seeing her hurt, couldn’t stand it and just wanted to make it all better again, but too soon. Her pain broke my heart more than the loss of the baby, and eventually because I couldn’t make her feel better, I got angry. Not at her, as she thought, but at the perceived injustice of it. Here was something that was supposed to make our little life complete and instead left us in despair.

I wanted to get on with life. She became angry that I wasn’t grieving as much as her, but she was my priority, always has been and always will be. I just wasn’t very good at seeing her so upset and letting her go through it her own way, in her own time.

Still, you do get over it and get on with life and try again. She became pregnant again about three years ago and we were nervous from the start. This time it was 11 weeks but again it ended abruptly and painfully, this time starting as we were wandering around the peace and tranquillity of a cathedral! What little faith I had left in a higher power met a swift and cold end on that day.

The reaction this time was different again. More like me and her against the world, both angry, both confused, both tired. For a while, when one of our friends had another child (and christ, didn’t they suddenly seem to be popping out all over the show!) it was difficult to be around them. That’s a terrible thing isn’t it.

On a positive note, we’re fine and happy and have been for ages. For those in despair, it doesn’t last forever and I wish you every success next time. You’ll always get little reminders, all the time in fact. Little stabs of regret and moments of imagining what it would’ve been like, but there’s no bitterness anymore. And it didn’t break us, not a chance, and our relationship is probably even stronger for the experience.

I’m 44 now and she’s 42 and we still feel like we’ve got a lot of love and security to offer a littl’un that needs it somewhere. So we’re going off down the adoption route. It’s early days (we’ve only been to one information evening which was a real eye opener) and we’re moving house next week which all needs to be sorted out before we go any further, but we’ve made our minds up, so we’ll see what happens next. Exciting times to be honest.

Sorry to go on. I think it just suddenly needed to all come out. Thanks if you got this far and good luck again to anyone who goes through a miscarriage. You can’t predict how either of you will react, so just let time do its healing as it always does and just be there for each other. And if you feel angry, don’t feel guilty about that. I can promise you it’s perfectly normal. Try not to bottle it up and make sure you talk things through when you feel up to it.

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #25 on: April 2, 2014, 06:31:12 pm »

So sorry to hear this, mate.

Wish you and your Mrs all the luck in the world with trying to adopt. Can tell just from this post you have so much you can both offer a child.
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 2, 2014, 06:33:27 pm »
Don't really know what to say to that red mist. Could never imagine going through it numerous times. But it's a credit to you and your wife and the strength you've shown to do just that and be stronger for it. I hope you get your little guy, or girl at some point mate.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 2, 2014, 06:35:56 pm »
Thanks fellas. Appreciated.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #28 on: April 2, 2014, 06:36:35 pm »
What a post! My heart goes out to all of you.
We had a scare, quite late on, when we hadn't felt what was a usually lovely baby move for too long.
That drive to the hospital was the most horrible thing but then luckily when we got there we found he was ok.

But the thought of a miscarriage terrified me the whole way and is the reason I really don't want another kid.

Thoughts are with you all

Online RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 3, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »
Best wishes to you and your loved one. I can't imagine how this feels.
YNWA.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #30 on: April 3, 2014, 03:59:54 pm »
Heart-wrenching lads.

Try and keep your heads up.

I cant imagine going through this, the missus has done well with carrying both of my boys, thank God.

But we have had friends who have lost babies due to miscarriages and to premature birth complications.

Painful, to have held you baby then lose it a few hours or days later.

Stay Strong. 
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: April 5, 2014, 06:39:42 am »
Sorry to hear about the experiences you guys have been through.

It's been just over 3 weeks since we had the news, and just over 2 weeks since it was confirmed with certainty and the mrs had the D&C procedure - horrible experience, I won't post in here but if anyone wants/needs to know what the expect then by all means PM.

I took 2 weeks off work after we had the news, really cut me up. The mrs is still off work and has been signed off for another week, kills me seeing her so upset, I don't think she's really come to terms with what's happened yet or been able to accept it, her emotions are all over the place. As a few people have said, you have to just be strong and be there as much as you possibly can.

It's the small reminders that bring it home, you think you're coping and getting past the worst but then you'll get a followup phone call from the hospital to ask how you're coping or a information pack in the post and it all comes flooding back again.

It was bad enough going through it the once and it's still very raw, I can't imagine having to go through it a second or even a third time.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #32 on: April 5, 2014, 09:37:42 pm »
It's a terrible thing and I really feel for you. As a male it's impossibly difficult to deal with it and stay strong for your partner.  We had the highs and lows of this over the past year.

We found out my wife was pregnant last august and early October we rushed to hospital with big cramps, bleeding etc. A&E said definite ectopic pregnancy so she was admitted to hospital. A scan was booked in for the afternoon the day after to assess the damage to see if an operation was needed.  We sat in the ultrasound room and the scanning lady turned round and said "yeah, that's a good strong heartbeat". From the doctors saying it had no chance, there was still a baby. He'll be born next week.

I'm sorry if that this seems insensitive and offends anyone. I just wanted to show that sometimes when all hope seems lost there's always a  chance a little miracle could happen.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 6, 2014, 01:27:37 am »
Bless you mate. It gets easier with time but nothing can ever fill that empty space that the hopes and expectations once filled. Even children at a later date, they might shrink that empty space to almost nothing, but it will always be there.

Look after each other and don't try or let your other half fool yourselves that you are OK. Keep talking, keep hugging, keep loving and get help if you don't bounce back enough that life can't be normal again. There's no shame in getting help and can ultimately reduce longer term mental health damage.

X

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 6, 2014, 08:43:50 am »
It's a terrible thing and I really feel for you. As a male it's impossibly difficult to deal with it and stay strong for your partner.  We had the highs and lows of this over the past year.

We found out my wife was pregnant last august and early October we rushed to hospital with big cramps, bleeding etc. A&E said definite ectopic pregnancy so she was admitted to hospital. A scan was booked in for the afternoon the day after to assess the damage to see if an operation was needed.  We sat in the ultrasound room and the scanning lady turned round and said "yeah, that's a good strong heartbeat". From the doctors saying it had no chance, there was still a baby. He'll be born next week.

I'm sorry if that this seems insensitive and offends anyone. I just wanted to show that sometimes when all hope seems lost there's always a  chance a little miracle could happen.
That's not insensitive at all mate, it's bloody fantastic! This thread should be for the positive stories as much as people releasing feelings or giving advice. Best wishes for next week.

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: April 8, 2014, 02:21:32 pm »

Fantastic news mate, made up for you!

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: April 8, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »
Looking for a little more advice guys.

The mrs is still off work and the doctor has signed her off for another week as he said shes not emotionally ready to go back yet.

I'm obviously supporting her decision to take more time off, being there for her and giving her everything she needs. But I can't help thinking that I should be encouraging her to go back to work, it's been almost 4 weeks now and I don't think sitting at home all day is helping, family and friends are there as much as they can be but they have work etc too so there's quite a bit of time where she's at home by herself with her thoughts and she'll get upset.

Am I wrong in thinking that her going back to work will give her something to occupy her mind (as much as it can do considering) and I should be encouraging her (positively) to go back? I think one of the reasons she's delaying going back is, is she's worried that once shes back at work it'll be a case of "everythings back to normal like it never happened" and she's struggling to let go, if that makes sense

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #37 on: April 8, 2014, 05:21:50 pm »

The mrs is still off work and the doctor has signed her off for another week as he said shes not emotionally ready to go back yet.

I'm obviously supporting her decision to take more time off, being there for her and giving her everything she needs. But I can't help thinking that I should be encouraging her to go back to work, it's been almost 4 weeks now and I don't think sitting at home all day is helping, family and friends are there as much as they can be but they have work etc too so there's quite a bit of time where she's at home by herself with her thoughts and she'll get upset.

Am I wrong in thinking that her going back to work will give her something to occupy her mind (as much as it can do considering) and I should be encouraging her (positively) to go back? I think one of the reasons she's delaying going back is, is she's worried that once shes back at work it'll be a case of "everythings back to normal like it never happened" and she's struggling to let go, if that makes sense

Can she go back in on short hours, or every other day, for a week or so? I think you're right to encourage a return to the routine. Are there any hospital follow ups? They would be a good opportunity to raise the question in front of a professional who can gauge how your missus is coping. It's tough, and there are no short cuts, so keep doing whatb you're doing in terms of support, get out and about and do normal things together so that work doesn't feel like a huge step for her :wave

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 8, 2014, 06:19:01 pm »

I posted a long reply earlier that seems to have been deleted, not sure why?

But anyway, my wife and I have been through four miscarriages - it's very difficult because I always describe it as having to watch someone else beat up on the one you love.  The way I grieved was just so different from the way my wife grieved, and it always felt a bit like I was watching from a distance, feeling for her rather than feeling the loss myself, if that makes any sense.

As for going back to work, I think you could be right but you need to let her come to the decision herself.  Even if you think you're right, one thing that will definitely not help is if you come across as if you're trying to "solve" the problem.  I think you can try things to get her out of the house, go for a walk alone together and talk, whatever, but in the end she will need to feel she is ready.  We were fortunate enough to have already booked a holiday before the second miscarriage (we left only a few days after the miscarriage itself), that was very helpful as it got us both out doing things and took our minds off it a bit.  Since that's probably not an option, I'd just try to gently help her get her mind off the pain as much as you can, but avoid coming across as pushy at all costs. 

Anyway, you're in my thoughts going through this.  YNWA
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: July 8, 2014, 08:06:23 am »
Thanks to everyone's messages of support on this. Found out we're pregnant again, so about 3 months after the miscarriage. Despite reading everywhere that the chances of a successful pregnancy are exactly the same whether you have miscarried or not the first time, am still bricking it. Doing my best to put a brave face on it and tell the mrs that everything is going to be fine this time around. Not due for our 12 week scan until the end of August so a nervous 6 weeks ahead!