Author Topic: The Hip Hop Thread  (Read 790914 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Hip Hop Thread
« Reply #9720 on: August 29, 2022, 11:09:43 am »
The Elephant Mans Bones though, sheesh.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9721 on: September 3, 2022, 11:13:13 am »
Stuff I've been listening to recently: -

Black Thought & Danger Mouse - Cheat Codes (great)
Pusha T - It's Almost Dry (great but not on Daytona level)
Denzel Curry - Melt My Eyez, See Your Future (great)
The two Vince Staples albums that dropped this year are both great.
Kendrick Lamars album is still growing on me.

What you been diggin'?

I dip in and out of the transfer thread but find it goes around and around in circles most of the time  ;D

Mostly the Black Thought thing, and certain parts of the Pusha T thing (Diet Coke's a fun tune, and Kanye's a surprisingly good dancer in that video ey). The Kendrick one hasn't really done it for me but maybe I need to give it more time. Haven't been listening to that much hip hop this year really, but will check out the Vince Staples ones, some of his stuff is class.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9722 on: September 29, 2022, 08:19:14 am »
RIP Coolio

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9723 on: September 29, 2022, 09:52:41 am »
RIP Coolio

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VzDN7mCDoC0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VzDN7mCDoC0</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9724 on: September 29, 2022, 07:57:57 pm »
Just heard about his passing.

RIP.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #9725 on: October 4, 2022, 02:11:37 pm »
This Dangermouse and Black Thought album is strange. Its good in terms of rapping and lyric content. But Dangermouse always has this style of "dirty, imperfect, mono" production. I'm not sure I like it. I would prefer clarity, high-definition, bruce swedien style mixing, you hear the difference on better audio equipment. Just sounds too mix-tapey.

EDIT: It turns out my speaker was sitting on a weird base. so it does sound better. Now running Sonos:AMP with Q Acoustics 2010i monitors. Lacks bass, but hey, its just for the office room.

Also, you lot are right about Kendrick Lamar. since TPAB, a genius album, there is steady decline. People even forget after DAMN there was Untitled Unmastered too, which was just fucking confusing.

I do like the new Nas releases though. Lads got a lot to say.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 10:43:46 am by sattapaartridge »
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9726 on: October 11, 2022, 08:16:13 pm »
New Freddie Gibbs album has been out for a couple of weeks, didn't even realise until just now.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #9727 on: October 24, 2022, 07:06:59 pm »
New Loyle Carner is out.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9728 on: October 26, 2022, 06:27:14 am »
Does anybody watch Math Hoffa's expert opinion? I've been watching for a bit now when I work from home I have it on. They have different guests on in a barber shop setting from all different era's of hip hop..Method Man, Royce, Treach, Immortal Technique etc and some good discussion goes on. Worth a watch if you like that kinda thing.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #9729 on: October 29, 2022, 12:15:20 pm »
Im a bit too old for  hip hop.Tho my taste in music is as jagged as youll see.. everything from some opera,some country, Indie, rockn roll to the likes of Disturbed etc. basically all over the place..Obviously, heard a few songs from the likes of Coolio. Tupac, Nate Dog and Warren {well one song really} Eminem, etc, but not really my cup of tea
But I cannot believe i missed out on the absolute genius that is Akala{well untill the last week when i stumbled across him on YT}
there is not enough superlatives that pay the respect this man deserves.. i understand most of you will already know all about him, but for the few that dont..  treat your ears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNqlSrhUOgs
JFT 96

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9730 on: November 1, 2022, 01:02:16 pm »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #9732 on: November 9, 2022, 12:47:42 pm »
Im a bit too old for  hip hop.Tho my taste in music is as jagged as youll see.. everything from some opera,some country, Indie, rockn roll to the likes of Disturbed etc. basically all over the place..Obviously, heard a few songs from the likes of Coolio. Tupac, Nate Dog and Warren {well one song really} Eminem, etc, but not really my cup of tea
But I cannot believe i missed out on the absolute genius that is Akala{well untill the last week when i stumbled across him on YT}
there is not enough superlatives that pay the respect this man deserves.. i understand most of you will already know all about him, but for the few that dont..  treat your ears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNqlSrhUOgs

Impressive. Really impressive.  But seems to lack something for me.  I think it needs to be over 'more' music.
He reminds me a bit of Macklemore (maybe because I don't know of many rappers) , but Macklemore has that something extra. It might be an external producer, not sure.
Guy is surely going places though.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9733 on: November 11, 2022, 09:09:02 am »
The new Nas album is incredible.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #9734 on: December 5, 2022, 12:02:46 pm »
Considering I don't like most of the artists on the album, the new Metro Boomin joint is decent.
JFT97

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #9735 on: January 28, 2023, 03:51:07 pm »
Had to come back to page 3 to find this thread and even then, mine was the last message.

Fucking hell hip-hop is shit these days. Won't have anyone tell me any different.

Been on a massive Wu-Tang binge lately, so what are everyone's top 5 Wu-Tang tracks? The caveat being, not well-known singles they released.
JFT97

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9736 on: February 12, 2023, 11:27:53 pm »
RIP Plug 2
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9737 on: February 13, 2023, 06:54:42 am »
RIP Trugoy.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #9738 on: February 17, 2023, 06:26:59 pm »
Had to come back to page 3 to find this thread and even then, mine was the last message.

Fucking hell hip-hop is shit these days. Won't have anyone tell me any different.

Been on a massive Wu-Tang binge lately, so what are everyone's top 5 Wu-Tang tracks? The caveat being, not well-known singles they released.

I don't listen to a lot of hip hop, but I did in the late 80s, right before that massive great wave of indie music swept everything away in the early to mid 90s. The other day I started watching that Wu-Tang series on Hulu. I knew about them, obviously, and knew a little about RZA, but I'd never really tried out their music. I'm just gobsmacked by it.

Late to the party and all that, but how fucking great is this album?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s48GO6tBm3A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s48GO6tBm3A</a>

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9739 on: May 11, 2023, 10:51:59 pm »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/rrcV2W73rGc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/rrcV2W73rGc</a>

I’ve been crying tears after watching this video and reading the comments  :lmao

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #9740 on: May 12, 2023, 10:43:17 pm »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/rrcV2W73rGc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/rrcV2W73rGc</a>

I’ve been crying tears after watching this video and reading the comments  :lmao
Fucking hell. Thats a complete mess. What the fucks he thinking there man. .

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9741 on: May 13, 2023, 06:54:15 am »
Fucking hell. Thats a complete mess. What the fucks he thinking there man. .

That’s the “modern sound” Capon get with it  ;D

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9742 on: May 13, 2023, 10:46:13 pm »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #9743 on: May 13, 2023, 11:58:06 pm »
Wore my Low End Theory tee the other day and unlike any other music shirt I wear (Stooges, CAN, Modern Lovers etc.) A lad recognised it, knew Tribe Called Quest

I know this isn't current or what

De La Soul went onto streaming or something

Just find it nice I wore essentially a hip hop shirt and it got noticed positively

You pay tribute

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #9744 on: May 22, 2023, 01:51:38 pm »
I don't listen to a lot of hip hop, but I did in the late 80s, right before that massive great wave of indie music swept everything away in the early to mid 90s. The other day I started watching that Wu-Tang series on Hulu. I knew about them, obviously, and knew a little about RZA, but I'd never really tried out their music. I'm just gobsmacked by it.

Late to the party and all that, but how fucking great is this album?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s48GO6tBm3A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s48GO6tBm3A</a>

A masterpiece - Cuban Linx, Liquid Swords, Ironman from that 90's era are all incredible albums. RZA was at the top of his game then (clearly not now judging by that video after  :lmao )

If only we'd gotten to hear a 90's Inspectah Deck album. That guy is one of the most underrated MC's out there.
JFT97

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #9745 on: May 29, 2023, 09:26:10 am »
Tribe called quest and de la soul

This stuff is alright

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #9746 on: June 2, 2023, 10:11:39 pm »
Three feet high and rising is good enough for any music fan.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9747 on: June 5, 2023, 06:57:45 am »

I've been on Wu-Tang binge lately and actually, this video makes perfect sense to me. I can totally see how someone like RZA would come up with a beat like that.

Obviously, the beat is trash. However, if you listen to most RZA beats from early Wu-Tang albums they all have very unusual and sometimes grating samples and sounds in them. A lot of them only sound good in Wu-Tang Clan rap album context.

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #9748 on: June 5, 2023, 08:52:23 pm »
Off to see Wu-Tang and Nas next week at the o2, cannot wait! Two of my all-time favourites sharing the stage.

Going to lose my mind when they drop NY State of Mind and Triumph.
JFT97

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #9749 on: July 29, 2023, 11:16:51 pm »
Utopia by Travis Scott...damn what have I just heard.
JFT97

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #9750 on: September 6, 2023, 07:20:37 am »
I listened to Jayou by Jurrasic Five recently. What a tune that is and I love the lyrics .

My missus got me into Jurassic 5 in the last few years which is mad because they somehow just passed me by. Bit like the Smiths when it was all Roses and Mondays. Anyhow, saw Chali 2na the other day live and he was incredible. Great showman and on point. He’s a god to the girlfriend so she was made up.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2023, 05:52:45 pm by Judge Red »

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #9751 on: September 6, 2023, 07:30:12 am »
If you’ve not heard this album, well worth it

The Foremost - DJ Format and Phill Most Chill

https://youtu.be/pr6_POjvMo4?si=bIY-m1MTnhBue2Ot

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9752 on: September 15, 2023, 10:18:57 am »
Magic 3 by Nas, wow.

The fucking GOAT.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9753 on: September 16, 2023, 02:13:02 am »
The new Earl Sweatshirt track featuring Vince Staples is fantastic. The Alchemist is one of the very best producers of this generation, and Earl in particular continues to push the envelope with his approach to flow and songwriting.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #9754 on: September 18, 2023, 08:09:23 pm »
Going to see 50 cent in November in Manchester. Busta Rhymes supporting.

Need to start listening to his albums

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #9755 on: September 19, 2023, 02:16:41 pm »
Going to see 50 cent in November in Manchester. Busta Rhymes supporting.

Need to start listening to his albums

Same - I'm going to the Birmingham one. I've been listening to GRODT quite a lot. That album really was a game-changer.

Eminem joined him on stage for Patiently Waiting and Crack A Bottle for the Detroit tour. Em's flow and delivery is near studio level perfect during his performance, it's incredible.
JFT97

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #9756 on: October 15, 2023, 11:17:04 am »
New Westside Gunn, boom boom boom booooooom!
JFT97

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9757 on: November 4, 2023, 03:35:05 pm »
The new Jeezy album is his hardest in years.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9758 on: March 1, 2024, 11:47:51 am »
The new Schoolboy Q is good.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #9759 on: April 10, 2024, 09:10:49 am »
what does everyone think of this "big 3 beef" ?

the j.cole apology recently...strange move but he seems to have tapped out.
kendrick vs drake then, will it happen or die out into subliminals for eternity...?
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.