Author Topic: Mike Marsh's contract not renewed, Rodgers will reshuffle backroom staff  (Read 17617 times)

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
If we're having a reshuffle of the coaching staff, we should be trying to bring in Phil Thompson to be honest.

I'm all for Sami & Gary McAllister being given a shot too, but Phil's a winner, he won't take any shit, and is vastly experienced as an assistant and coach.

To be honest, if we're going to bring in a coach, its gunna (have to) be barnes!
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Terrible news, at least marshy knows the club, was around it for years, we need people like him at the club, by all means appoint somebody else but keep Marshy as well

Knowing the club isn't enough mate. If he is the weak link in the coaching set-up then it's the right decision.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Exactly. There's some mad bastards on here with their ideas on who should be brought in as coaches. As if it's just as easy as "oh well he was a good player so let's bring him in as a coach". Mike Marsh is a good bloke. He may or may not have been doing a good job. None of us will ever really know. He's the first casualty of a poor season and I feel for him, because he's a Liverpool man, but no-one on here has any clue whether it's the right decision for the future of the team or not.

He probably is, but I met the fella once at a Charity Do and didn't like him at all, Bob Bolder on the other hand, he bought me a pint
That aside, I don't like to see proper Liverpool people leave the club, ,maybe someone else is lined up
I know he would never do it, but would anyone consider Steve McLaren as assistant ?  Everyone seems to rave about his coaching skills

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bit harsh getting rid of Marsh. Pascoe has to go also then.

I've said before that Rodgers current backroom staff offer him nothing.

It's always sad to hear someone lose their job but in Rodgers does need better support.

Pascoe has to go also or just getting rid of Marsh is pointless.

Without actually working with Pascoe how can you even suggest he should go Fordy? He may well be a very good coach.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He probably is, but I met the fella once at a Charity Do and didn't like him at all, Bob Bolder on the other hand, he bought me a pint
That aside, I don't like to see proper Liverpool people leave the club, ,maybe someone else is lined up
I know he would never do it, but would anyone consider Steve McLaren as assistant ?  Everyone seems to rave about his coaching skills

Exactly.

Pointless even discussing it.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
Bit harsh getting rid of Marsh. Pascoe has to go also then.

I've said before that Rodgers current backroom staff offer him nothing.

It's always sad to hear someone lose their job but in Rodgers does need better support.

You're back from Barbados today aren't you? Have a safe flight.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Obviously we don't know the story here, but it just feels a bit wrong to be suddenly letting go of a coach who had been around the club for a years. We talk of getting people in who are lon time club servants but at the same time we are letting him go.

I can only hope it is a case that Brendan didn't think that Mike was doing well enough in his promoted position and Mike didn't want to take a step back so no new contract was offered.

We need to make sure that the changes are for the better, not just a token scapegoat.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
Just going by what he said. I do wonder at why people who have worked under a European system would want to come here and suddenly want all the control. They can`t ALL be raging megalomaniacs...

Brazil suggested that Quinn`s mate, Mike Marsh might have been cluing him in. If that were the case, there would surely (and justifiably) be some bitterness there.

What does this mean ?
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Without actually working with Pascoe how can you even suggest he should go Fordy? He may well be a very good coach.

He may well be and Marsh could be also.

I just see at games Rodgers a lone man. He needs his backroom staff to help him more.

Having your mate from Swansea isn't going to work. This is Liverpool Football Club and if he isn't going to have a DOF then he needs better coaches around him.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I just see at games Rodgers a lone man. He needs his backroom staff to help him more.

Bullshit. He is constantly speaking to Pascoe during games.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan

Why do you think that Fordy? You don't think bringing in a possibly better coach than Marsh would make a difference?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He may well be and Marsh could be also.

Having your mate from Swansea isn't going to work. This is Liverpool Football Club and if he isn't going to have a DOF then he needs better coaches around him.

I agree we need better and more experienced coaching staff. Coaches that have been at clubs who have had to deal with European and domestic football. But I think it's a little harsh to just label Pascoe Brendans 'mate from Swansea' without actually knowing what sort of contribution Colin makes. He might not be good enough, then again he might be excellent. None of us know that mate.

As for Mike Marsh, it's sad the fella has lost his job. But it may well be the correct decision. He may simply not be good enough.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool begin backroom SHAKE UP after end of season review

MIKE MARSH has been told his contract will not be renewed by Liverpool as Brendan Rodgers conducts a shake-up of his backroom staff.

By Paul Joyce

First team coach Marsh re-joined Liverpool when Rodgers took over in 2012, but is set to leave this summer. Goalkeeper coach John Achterberg will remain in position.

Rodgers took part in an end of season review with Liverpool chairman Tom Werner and Fenway Sports Group president, Mike Gordon, on Tuesday at which his own future was safeguarded.

The decision not to keep Marsh feels cosmetic given he was not responsible for the problems the club endured last season.

It is likely Liverpool will now look to bring in another ex-player to bolster their backroom team.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/582380/Liverpool-end-of-season-review-Mike-Marsh-Brendan-Rodgers

----------------------------------
Liverpool FC to part company with first-team coach Mike Marsh

Liverpool FC will not be renewing contract - but John Achterberg stays

By Neil Jones

Liverpool will part company with first-team coach Mike Marsh following the club’s end-of-season review.

Marsh’s contract at Anfield expires this month, and the Reds have informed the 45-year-old that they will not be renewing it.

The decision follows this week’s “positive” meeting between manager Brendan Rodgers, club chairman Tom Werner, and Fenway Sports Group executive Mike Gordon.

In it, a “comprehensive plan for improvement” was agreed by all parties following the club’s disappointing campaign, and Marsh is to become the first casualty.

Goalkeeping coach John Achterberg, though, has survived the review, and will remain with the club.

Kirkby-born Marsh made 101 appearances for Liverpool as a player between 1989 and 1993, and returned to the club as an Academy coach in 2009.

He was promoted to U18s coach two years later, and stepped up to the first team following Rodgers’ appointment in 2012.

Liverpool will now look to replace him, though it is unclear at this stage whether they will do that internally, or by bringing in an experienced coach from outside.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-part-company-first-team-9395064
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool begin backroom SHAKE UP after end of season review

MIKE MARSH has been told his contract will not be renewed by Liverpool as Brendan Rodgers conducts a shake-up of his backroom staff.

By Paul Joyce

First team coach Marsh re-joined Liverpool when Rodgers took over in 2012, but is set to leave this summer. Goalkeeper coach John Achterberg will remain in position.

Rodgers took part in an end of season review with Liverpool chairman Tom Werner and Fenway Sports Group president, Mike Gordon, on Tuesday at which his own future was safeguarded.

The decision not to keep Marsh feels cosmetic given he was not responsible for the problems the club endured last season.

It is likely Liverpool will now look to bring in another ex-player to bolster their backroom team.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/582380/Liverpool-end-of-season-review-Mike-Marsh-Brendan-Rodgers

As long as this ex-player is an experienced coach it'll be good thing. Otherwise what would be the point sacking Marsh?

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
As long as this ex-player is an experienced coach it'll be good thing. Otherwise what would be the point sacking Marsh?

Have you not seen Jurassic Park ?
 :D
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Have you not seen Jurassic Park ?
 :D

Ha!  :D

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
If we're having a reshuffle of the coaching staff, we should be trying to bring in Phil Thompson to be honest.

I'm all for Sami & Gary McAllister being given a shot too, but Phil's a winner, he won't take any shit, and is vastly experienced as an assistant and coach.

Thommo was the best Liverpool manager we never had. He basically did it all while Houllier was ill in the 5 trophy season.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thommo was the best Liverpool manager we never had. He basically did it all while Houllier was ill in the 5 trophy season.

Houllier didn't take ill in the 5 trophy season. That was the season after I think. Phil just kept things ticking over for Ged.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan

Yep, and Houllier took all of the credit

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Yep, and Houllier took all of the credit

Houllier didn't fall ill until the Oct, after the 5 trophy season.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Houllier didn't fall ill until the Oct, after the 5 trophy season.

Yep.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Houllier didn't take ill in the 5 trophy season. That was the season after I think. Phil just kept things ticking over for Ged.

Ticking over from October to march in fairness and we had a couple of great runs in that time. I think Houllier still had a say in selection though didn't he?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think Houllier still had a say in selection though didn't he?

He did. Thompson said himself all he did was carry out Geds instructions.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
It's alright sacking coaches that were already at the club. It doesn't really make Rodger's look bad. The real questions need to be asked of the team he has put in place/brought from Swansea. Does he have the stones to question them? I am not sure.

He needs to start showing he can be ruthless and learn from mistakes if he wants to take this club forward.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's alright sacking coaches that were already at the club. It doesn't really make Rodger's look bad. The real questions need to be asked of the team he has put in place/brought from Swansea. Does he have the stones to question them? I am not sure.

Do you even know they needed questioning? For all we know Mike Marsh may well of been the weak link and the correct decision has been made.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good

....and then John Terry and Wayne Bridge walked into a bar.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
Do you even know they needed questioning? For all we know Mike Marsh may well of been the weak link and the correct decision has been made.

I know he didn't sign the poor players, select the teams, motivate the players, play players out of position, negotiate contracts etc.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
The manager has probably been taken aside and given a pep talk. As a manager you need the strongest support team otherwise your days are numbered.

Absolutely, I don't understand why someone like the outstanding coach Rene Meulenstein wasn't considered? That bloke was unemployed and asking around for jobs. He stood up to Ferguson in his day.

It takes a great manager to realise he must have his authority challenged by knowledgeable people. Not yes men.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bullshit. He is constantly speaking to Pascoe during games.

Only when Rodgers goes up to him. Not often you see Pascoe go up to Rodgers to discuss things.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Is John Achterberg highly rated or something? Didn't Reina's decline start when he turned up?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Only when Rodgers goes up to him. Not often you see Pascoe go up to Rodgers to discuss things.

You won't see any assistant going up to the manager on a regular occurrence.

He does turn and speak to him when he's next to him regularly though. If that's to talk about the nice weather or discuss an idea I (and you) don't know.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I know he didn't sign the poor players, select the teams, motivate the players, play players out of position, negotiate contracts etc.

Enough of the sly digs at the manager eh.

The question is, was he good enough and was it the right decision to sack Marsh? I personally don't know and neither do you. We've just got to hope the correct decision has been made and the club will replace him with a better coach.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2015, 10:33:49 am by Solomon Grundy »

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Why do you think that Fordy? You don't think bringing in a possibly better coach than Marsh would make a difference?

I don't see how sacking Marsh effects the 1st team side of things.

Marsh role was mainly the link between the 1st team and the youth teams.

I just think this is an easy sacking. If you want to see a real change then it's the number 2 that has to go.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

You won't see any assistant going up to the manager on a regular occurrence.

He does turn and speak to him when he's next to him regularly though. If that's to talk about the nice weather or discuss an idea I (and you) don't know.

That is utter, utter bullshit!! Total sweaty balls shit.

Loads of coaches go up to the manager to discuss things.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
Enough of the sly digs at the manager eh.

The question is, was it the right decision to sack Marsh?

Why? Looks to me, Marsh is getting the blame and is the fall guy for other peoples mistakes.

I don't know if he's a good coach or not.  But I know he's the least of our problems and if the outcome of the review was to sack Marsh, then it is a farce!
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Few whispers from that social media place of the big man coming back. SH!

What if Marsh was the leak?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
If anything we probably need a change to keep things fresh and stop it becoming stale. Ferguson changed his team a lot during his time at Utd.

Not really through choice, they all left to take up managerial roles (Kidd, McLaren, Quieroz, Phelan)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't see how sacking Marsh effects the 1st team side of things.

Marsh role was mainly the link between the 1st team and the youth teams.

I just think this is an easy sacking. If you want to see a real change then it's the number 2 that has to go.

Look Fordy, Like me and everyone else on here you don't know how good a coach Marsh was or whether it was the correct decision or not. You also don't know how good an assistant manager Colin Pascoe is. What if he is really good at his job? Should we still go ahead and sack him for changes sake?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
That is utter, utter bullshit!! Total sweaty balls shit.

Loads of coaches go up to the manager to discuss things.

And so does Pascoe when they're in the dugout. They are constantly discussing things.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
Who a manager picks to assist him, coach the players etc. should be 100% down to the manager. END OF.