Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1415361 times)

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3480 on: January 29, 2019, 11:15:01 pm »
Just win tomorrow, everything else is irrelevant for now. Win tomorrow.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3481 on: January 29, 2019, 11:18:57 pm »
Last season City got 55 points from first 19 games. Once tiredness kicked in they got 45 points from the remaining 19.
No reason to think this season they get more than 45 from the second 19 games. They will drop 9 more in the next 14 games.

The only question is how many will we drop. I'm not being negative, we just can't win every remaining game we have. Having a 7 point cushion by this time tomorrow will be massive.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3482 on: January 29, 2019, 11:19:36 pm »
I've got a definite feeling that City will drop points to Newcastle.
Rafa(despite what the Geordies think) is a Kopite deep down. He will be even more of a legend if he can take a couple of points away from City.
He'll have been up the last few nights drawing up a defensive plan like Juventus away 2005 to frustrate city.
 On top of that I have some Manchester United toilet roll that somebody gave me a while back. I've been keeping it for a special occasion but I ripped a portion off and crossed out United and replaced it with City. We have been wiping our arses on man city all day in our house.
 With Rafa's detailed plans and my toilet paper the plastic woolybacks have got no chance of 3 points.

Thanks for your valiant and effective methods. Much appreciated.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #3483 on: January 29, 2019, 11:20:46 pm »
Jurgen did this.
"I expect we will be one point up before the game tomorrow, so that doesn’t bother me."

So Cold.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #3484 on: January 29, 2019, 11:24:30 pm »
I was worried that us playing after City this month would put the pressure on us psychologically. But after this we have the psychological edge. Nothing has changed in terms of every game being a cup final. But now we can play with that bit less fear. And it has to be disheartening for City.

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #3485 on: January 29, 2019, 11:25:33 pm »
We're going to do this. No two ways about it. We are ruthless and we are coming to the back end of the season when teams energy levels are no where near ours. We are clear at the top of League and no one can catch us as long as we carry on the way we have been and there's no reason on gods green earth to suggest anything other than that.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3486 on: January 29, 2019, 11:35:13 pm »
We're going to do this. No two ways about it. We are ruthless and we are coming to the back end of the season when teams energy levels are no where near ours. We are clear at the top of League and no one can catch us as long as we carry on the way we have been and there's no reason on gods green earth to suggest anything other than that.

One game at a time. It only takes one or two key injuries. Enjoy it. I certainly am. But it’s not even close to being over.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3487 on: January 29, 2019, 11:38:31 pm »
Well, things certainly got interesting here!

Also, with Everton's win, they're closing in on a Europa League spot - giving them some incentive to have a go at City. Much better scenario than had they been sitting in 11th with the game in April. Surely the hate for Redshite can't be more important than a European spot?

Either way, this will mean nothing unless tomorrow's game is won. Leicester are more than capable of causing problems unless the guys are switched on. West Ham away is also a potential banana skin. That being said, if we're in front after playing Chelsea on 13 April, I'm confident we've got a very good chance. Until then, one game at a time to get there.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:40:14 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3488 on: January 29, 2019, 11:41:08 pm »
One game at a time. It only takes one or two key injuries. Enjoy it. I certainly am. But it’s not even close to being over.

I have to agree with you on this. It is not over by a long chalk. Win tomorrow and we are in a good position, but anything can happen and there is such a long way to go.

We really do just have to take one game at a time.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3489 on: January 29, 2019, 11:42:09 pm »
I have to agree with you on this. It is not over by a long chalk. Win tomorrow and we are in a good position, but anything can happen and there is such a long way to go.

We really do just have to take one game at a time.

Pretty much this, all this is an opportunity to have breathing space but there is still a lot of work to be done. Nothing is guaranteed.

Thankfully we have the right manager and right players

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3490 on: January 29, 2019, 11:42:21 pm »
Part of me think maybe we should just focus on one competition this year to give us the best chance of winning.

However winning the PL is so important for us, whilst a good CL run of 10 games to the final is equivalent to about playing 30 PL games in terms of prize and tv money so why not do both? That £90m means a world of difference - its like choosing between buying a VVD or  VCD.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3491 on: January 29, 2019, 11:42:51 pm »
Well, things certainly got interesting here!

Also, with Everton's win, they're closing in on a Europa League spot - giving them some incentive to have a go at City. Much better scenario than had they been sitting in 11th with the game in April. Surely the hate for Redshite can't be more important than a European spot?

Either way, this will mean nothing unless tomorrow's game is won. Leicester are more than capable of causing problems unless the guys are switched on. West Ham away is also a potential banana skin. That being said, if we're in front after playing Chelsea on 13 April, I'm confident we've got a very good chance. Until then, one game at a time to get there.

You'd be surprised.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3492 on: January 29, 2019, 11:43:46 pm »
It's Rafa. Siempre es possible.

I fucking love Rafa.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3493 on: January 29, 2019, 11:44:29 pm »
THIS!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3494 on: January 29, 2019, 11:46:00 pm »
Jurgen did this.
"I expect we will be one point up before the game tomorrow, so that doesn’t bother me."

So Cold.

He's always respectful to opposition clubs so no disrespect to Newcastle but he knew what he was doing when he said this :)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3495 on: January 29, 2019, 11:48:17 pm »
I've got a definite feeling that City will drop points to Newcastle.
Rafa(despite what the Geordies think) is a Kopite deep down. He will be even more of a legend if he can take a couple of points away from City.
He'll have been up the last few nights drawing up a defensive plan like Juventus away 2005 to frustrate city.
 On top of that I have some Manchester United toilet roll that somebody gave me a while back. I've been keeping it for a special occasion but I ripped a portion off and crossed out United and replaced it with City. We have been wiping our arses on man city all day in our house.
 With Rafa's detailed plans and my toilet paper the plastic woolybacks have got no chance of 3 points.

What? How does that work, did you have to unwind it all, cross out the United wording and replace it with City, then wind it back onto the roll?

Oh sorry, I've just noticed it was only a "portion" my mistake. You had me thinking about the technicalities there for a moment.  :o
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #3496 on: January 29, 2019, 11:49:39 pm »
Not many teams can pull off winning 14 games in a row. I cannot even remember any team in any of the stronger European leagues who have done it. Juventus? Bayern? Barcelona or Real? PSG possibly. But in our league its tough to pull it off
City did it last year! 18 (I think in a row).  So they are capable of doing it. The big difference is though that was from the start of the season (from the 3rd game when they drew with Everton, till Palace). We’ve seen how they tire 2nd half of the season, so let’s see if they are capable of doing it when it really matters
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3497 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:01 pm »
You'd be surprised.

Fair enough. Not sure Silva has a future at the club if he misses out on Europe though. Either way, I'd take a draw in that one  :wave
Linudden.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3498 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:24 pm »
Everton wouldn't be a banana skin for us as they will attack at home. The reason they were so stubborn against us was that they are playing away and therefore could set up defensively to frustrate us.

Chelsea is a lost cause as they are picking and choosing which game to turn up. They are tiring and losing motivation soon after they fell out of contention for the title. There is a word for it called "tanking".

City and Spurs are still in it but our greatest challenge is about maintaining the performance and how can we integrate Keita into the team with 4 months to go. If we are still fielding Gini-Milner-Hendo for the CL later stages then we have failed to learn from last year.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3499 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:24 pm »
Just checked the Man City/Newcastle scores at my desk. I literally had an Antonio Banderas gif moment.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3500 on: January 29, 2019, 11:56:01 pm »
Everton wouldn't be a banana skin for us as they will attack at home. The reason they were so stubborn against us was that they are playing away and therefore could set up defensively to frustrate us.

They'd literally drive the physical players' bus onto the pitch and leave the players in the dressing room if that meant winning 0-0 against Redshite. That's their only way of playing derby games...  :wave I'm surprised they don't have open bus top parades after 0-0 wins against us at this stage.
Linudden.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #3501 on: January 30, 2019, 12:00:19 am »
He's always respectful to opposition clubs so no disrespect to Newcastle but he knew what he was doing when he said this :)

100%. I knew exactly what he was doing when I read it and this all part of what happens in a title race.
YWNA

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3503 on: January 30, 2019, 12:02:10 am »
City did it last year! 18 (I think in a row).  So they are capable of doing it. The big difference is though that was from the start of the season (from the 3rd game when they drew with Everton, till Palace). We’ve seen how they tire 2nd half of the season, so let’s see if they are capable of doing it when it really matters

They drew 1 somewhere in the middle, so its not 18 straight wins. We managed 11 straight wins under Rodgers. That's about as close as I can remember to a 14 game winning streak. They could pull off something similar this year. But I have a feeling that this time its going to be too late. Games are running out and there are lots of other distractions which they may want to focus on.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:04:30 am by Mr_Shane »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3504 on: January 30, 2019, 12:06:45 am »
They drew 1 somewhere in the middle, so its not 18 straight wins. We managed 11 straight wins under Rodgers. That's about as close as I can remember to a 14 game winning streak. They could pull off something similar this year. But I have a feeling that this time its going to be too late. Games are running out and there are lots of other distractions which they may want to focus on.

They won 18 on the bounce last season. I think their draw was against someone like Everton in the second game, then they won every match until we beat them.

Edit - They drew game 2 against Everton, then drew v Palace in game 21. We beat them in game 23.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:09:08 am by Barneylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3505 on: January 30, 2019, 12:08:12 am »

Arsenal won 13 in a row at the end of the season to knock us and United off the title race in 2002. I think that's the strongest run-in in First Division/Premier League history.
Linudden.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3506 on: January 30, 2019, 12:09:11 am »

Nope they did win 18 games in a row

Bournemouth to Newcastle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_Manchester_City_F.C._season

We Palace ending the winning run but not the unbeaten run, we ended that.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3507 on: January 30, 2019, 12:10:29 am »
Leicester City, 30th January 2019, Home

That's all we need to think about, they are a decent away team (they are 6th in the away table, only 6 points less than City)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3508 on: January 30, 2019, 12:12:18 am »
So they did my memory must have failed me. I thought the Everton game happened much later than it did.  :-X

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3509 on: January 30, 2019, 12:14:56 am »
Leicester City, 30th January 2019, Home

That's all we need to think about, they are a decent away team (they are 6th in the away table, only 6 points less than City)

Yup just keep going one game at a time, do our job and keep winning. As much as its nice to celebrate City losing i would much rather celebrate us winning tomorrow as city losing today is pointless today if we do not capitalize

Lets go boys

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3510 on: January 30, 2019, 12:15:17 am »
Just stuck the bones of this in the pre-game thread;

There are 14 games to go for them... 42 points. We have the bitters away, Mancs away, Chelsea and Spurs at home, all the teams fighting relegation (like Newcastle). There are a myriad number of things that could happen but ... all things being equal I do think tomorrow is the biggest game of our domestic season, (bar City away), so far.
Any win (better to nil) would just grind their gears at this stage. Pep has been very successful at blitzing leagues, I am not so sure how he is in a dogfight, truly the pressure will be on him and them every game now. Most games they cruise but they have been beaten 4 times this season and 3 times it's been against Palace, Leicester and Newcastle ergo anyone with a bit of gumption and luck can rattle them this year. This will not be the last time they are going to have things going against them this season and it will be in his head and their heads. There is a fragility to them this season and that is fact. They can be got at. They will be.
This is, in my opinion a bit of a weird season for City. They have played no-one in Europe, no-one in the League Cup all the way to the final, no-one in the FA Cup. Most games are like training sessions (compared to ours) and are over after 15 or 20 minutes. But there must be a creeping feeling of anxiety around "the best football team the world has ever seen". It can go wrong any time Pep. Despite barely getting out of 3rd gear all season they could find themselves 7 points down in the league to a team which is simply not giving them a break. Their form was supposed to have turned and suddenly they blow it again. Win tomorrow and Liverpool will show them up and there is nothing at all they can do about it.
And, dare I say it, I do think a slight change of emphasis could soon happen at Abu Dhabi central.
So, a win tomorrow is just 3 points, like every other 3 points, and we have to win every game we play, that has to be the aim. But it is a huge 3 points psychologically.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3511 on: January 30, 2019, 12:15:50 am »
United had 8 points more than City in 2012 in April and they ended up losing the title on goal-difference.

It's not over.

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #3512 on: January 30, 2019, 12:16:22 am »
Its the fact, that for most of us when we think about getting past the line, it is this inherent fear that City will win all their remaining game. Today helps us go past this hypothesis a little bit,

Well said.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #3513 on: January 30, 2019, 12:16:28 am »
What was he doing when he said this?

I'm a simple man. I don't understand mind games.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #3514 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:20 am »
United had 8 points more than City in 2012 in April and they ended up losing the title on goal-difference.

It's not over.
Shouldn't even need to be said really. It's January and we're four points (maximum seven) ahead. Long, long way to go.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3515 on: January 30, 2019, 12:20:41 am »
Shouldn't even need to be said really. It's January and we're four points (maximum seven) ahead. Long, long way to go.
Yup, one game at a time, win as many as possible. Each game has it's own difficulties.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #3516 on: January 30, 2019, 12:21:39 am »
No, we must win every game.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3517 on: January 30, 2019, 12:32:34 am »

It's not over.

We're better than that united team but it's far from over for sure. I believe we've got the mentality and the manager. Injuries  are the biggest danger now for me.

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3518 on: January 30, 2019, 12:37:50 am »
Just reading through this thread and *ping*, got an email for a job application from a gentleman by the name of Luis Garcia. It's on my friends.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3519 on: January 30, 2019, 12:42:15 am »
Thanks Rafa you legend, still love you :D

Great result, completely unexpected after City scored. Obviously I put the game on at the right time since they equalised within minutes!

Let's do our job against Leic then all the pressure is piled on City on the next 3 games as they have no margin of error now.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...