Author Topic: Slovenia v England  (Read 18392 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: Slovenia v England
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:03 pm »
Never understand why players go crazy after obvious free kicks are given against them.

If you're trying to put doubt in a ref's mind that's one thing, but when you blunder into someone like Kempl did, a clear foul, then what's the point? You just look an idiot and he got booked for it.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »
3-2 FT

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:19 pm »
The problem is almost nobody plays 3 at the back in England, it would be career suicide, his options for who to play for would be limited.

Just play him at RB. He's a utility man like Milner, a decent 6-7/10 in most midfield positions and at fullback, but never a consistent 9/10 anywhere.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:22 pm »
good game that, enjoyed it :)
choose Life.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:30 pm »
100% record keeps, good result and created a lot of chances
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:35 pm »
Decent game that

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #366 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:46 pm »
Famous win.

Well played Hendo, definite future England captain as well as obviously Liverpool.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: June 14, 2015, 06:52:08 pm »
Haha "unstoppable"
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: June 14, 2015, 06:53:11 pm »
Just play him at RB. He's a utility man like Milner, a decent 6-7/10 in most midfield positions and at fullback, but never a consistent 9/10 anywhere.

We would need to sign some pretty good & productive center mids to allow that... Probably cheaper to sign a RB.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2015, 06:53:23 pm »

I disagree, I think he's an 8 at CM and could be a 9 if he works at it/develops fully. I just think that he has the right skillset to play at RB/RWB also, as Gerrard did if he'd have wanted to. Defensive OR box-to-box midfielders often have similar skills to wing backs (high energy, positioning, passing, tackling, pressing) so it's no great surprise.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »
Famous win.

Well played Hendo, definite future England captain as well as obviously Liverpool.

;D

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: June 14, 2015, 06:53:46 pm »

Agree... He isn't good enough to be a CM or AM. Think he would be better suited at fullback/wing back and could be a top, top player there.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #372 on: June 14, 2015, 06:54:05 pm »
two shite teams, one marginally less shite than the other...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: June 14, 2015, 06:54:15 pm »
I disagree, I think he's an 8 at CM and could be a 9 if he works at it/develops fully. I just think that he has the right skillset to play at RB/RWB also, as Gerrard did if he'd have wanted to. Defensive OR box-to-box midfielders often have similar skills to wing backs (high energy, positioning, passing, tackling, passing) so it's no great surprise.

When has he ever put in an 8/10 performance in MF?

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #374 on: June 14, 2015, 06:54:35 pm »
Agree.

He'd have to work a hell of a lot on his positioning. He's just like Can there. He has a tendency to cheat into midfield, and the defense loses its shape against the counter.

His defending of crosses needs work too. It would be a big ask when he already knows how to play well as a midfield engine (and passer).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:56:21 pm by wemmick »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »
We can't stop winning even when giving shit goals away. Quite amusing.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2015, 06:55:37 pm »
He shouldn't be right back at all.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2015, 06:56:00 pm »
We would need to sign some pretty good & productive center mids to allow that... Probably cheaper to sign a RB.

Kovacic ;)

Then Milner and Lallana as pressing wide players.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2015, 06:56:36 pm »
When has he ever put in an 8/10 performance in MF?
Spurs away 13-14 is the only time.
We would be  a much better team if we had someone with wilshere's poise and ability on the ball, with, or instead of the Hendog.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: June 14, 2015, 06:57:06 pm »
When was the last time England had a tough qualifying group for a major competition?, this seeding malarkey is a nonsense, if England get drawn with Spain, Italy and Germany in a group then so what?, qualifying is a procession now.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: June 14, 2015, 06:57:56 pm »
The thickest post match interview ever. Might as well point the camera at a brick and a sausage.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2015, 06:58:20 pm »
If me auntie had bollocks she'd be me uncle.
What's in your aunties Y fronts will never be any of your business.

But what I really came on here to say is, if Raheem's Knee is bolloxed, what a turn on the axis the world takes. Who wants to buy a crock?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: June 14, 2015, 06:58:48 pm »
That was a surprisingly good game, expected a 0-1 or 0-2 boring one...

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: June 14, 2015, 06:59:07 pm »
When was the last time England had a tough qualifying group for a major competition?, this seeding malarkey is a nonsense, if England get drawn with Spain, Italy and Germany in a group then so what?, qualifying is a procession now.

Nobody wants to watch Euro 2016 if half of the good teams have already been knocked out in qualifying.

Seeding works just fine
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: June 14, 2015, 07:00:17 pm »
I disagree, I think he's an 8 at CM and could be a 9 if he works at it/develops fully. I just think that he has the right skillset to play at RB/RWB also, as Gerrard did if he'd have wanted to. Defensive OR box-to-box midfielders often have similar skills to wing backs (high energy, positioning, passing, tackling, pressing) so it's no great surprise.

He can't really carry a ball in midfield, though, and his brain & touch are lacking. He can't control a game in midfield, set the tempo, and is poor in tight spaces. It's no surprise his best season for us was last year, when we never had much control in that area of the pitch and he was basically a piano carrier rather than a conductor (I know his productivity was better this year but he went missing a lot); his function was just to do the donkey work for Gerrard and pass the ball to Coutinho/Sturridge/Sterling/Luis and wait for something to happen. Facing goal as a CM in a 433, yeah, he's probably a 7-8/10; that's his best position in midfield but in any other shape I think his level drops.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #385 on: June 14, 2015, 07:01:01 pm »
Nobody wants to watch Euro 2016 if half of the good teams have already been knocked out in qualifying

And yet Euro 2008 was boss. It had no England and were France were crap

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #386 on: June 14, 2015, 07:01:30 pm »
What a commanding lead England has there in their group of Europe's power houses! Unstoppable. 

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/standings/round=2000446/group=2002432/index.html
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: June 14, 2015, 07:03:52 pm »
And yet Euro 2008 was boss. It had no England and were France were crap

2 qualifying groups get drawn:

Spain
Germany
Netherlands
Italy
Portugal
England

and

Liechtenstein    
 Faroe Islands    
 Malta    
 Andorra    
 San Marino    
 Gibraltar

Seeding stops crap like this from happening.

Imagine Liverpool finished 4th, and they decided we needed to play Real Madrid to qualify for the CL, rather than some Eastern European pub team. Wouldn't be fair.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: June 14, 2015, 07:03:58 pm »
Nobody wants to watch Euro 2016 if half of the good teams have already been knocked out in qualifying.

Seeding works just fine
So you're all for maintaining the status quo then?, it's a completely unfair system.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: June 14, 2015, 07:06:28 pm »
So you're all for maintaining the status quo then?, it's a completely unfair system.

Not really, if a team is good enough then they'll qualify.

Greece, Russia, Bosnia are first seeds and Ukraine, Sweden, Denmark, Czech republic, Hungary and Ireland 2nd seeds.

2 teams qualify from each group, and the 3rd team goes into a playoff.

If you're a decent team you'll qualify, and keep building up coefficient points

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #390 on: June 14, 2015, 07:14:43 pm »
Sad that Lee Dixon of all people speaks more sense abar Henderson, than half a dozen or so of the quilts in this place. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #391 on: June 14, 2015, 07:31:43 pm »

Teams get rewarded for doing well in qualifying. See Iceland and Wales amongst others.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #392 on: June 14, 2015, 07:34:02 pm »
Not really, if a team is good enough then they'll qualify.

Greece, Russia, Bosnia are first seeds and Ukraine, Sweden, Denmark, Czech republic, Hungary and Ireland 2nd seeds.

2 teams qualify from each group, and the 3rd team goes into a playoff.

If you're a decent team you'll qualify, and keep building up coefficient points

Slightly wrong, the highest placed 3rd place team automatically qualifies as well, with the rest of the 3rd placed teams going to playoffs.
#Sausages

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2015, 07:37:59 pm »
He can't really carry a ball in midfield, though, and his brain & touch are lacking. He can't control a game in midfield, set the tempo, and is poor in tight spaces. It's no surprise his best season for us was last year, when we never had much control in that area of the pitch and he was basically a piano carrier rather than a conductor (I know his productivity was better this year but he went missing a lot); his function was just to do the donkey work for Gerrard and pass the ball to Coutinho/Sturridge/Sterling/Luis and wait for something to happen. Facing goal as a CM in a 433, yeah, he's probably a 7-8/10; that's his best position in midfield but in any other shape I think his level drops.

Nailed it mate.

Totally nailed it.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2015, 07:44:40 pm »
I think Jordan's best position is the inside right side of a diamond. This position suits him as you need his energy, you need somebody who is comfortable outwide, decent cross and also from deep (the goal he set up for Sturridge?) He can also break the lines from this position. But you need forwards who run the channels, Sturridge/Origi for example. Like wise milner is the mirror image on the left inside

With somebody like kovacic at the Base and coutinho at the point with attacking full backs (moreno and Clyne)

OK I derailed the fuck out of this but yeah!!!!

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2015, 11:06:37 pm »
Its not unfair at all. Look at Wales, it happens that they are good enough to get to the top of their group and looks like they'll qualify. What you are suggesting is that teams which aren't good enough to qualify get an easy group so that they do.

What seeding does is prevent good teams being knocked out because they are up against too many other good teams in the same group.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2015, 12:13:33 pm »
The thickest post match interview ever. Might as well point the camera at a brick and a sausage.

:lmao

Why's this Wilshere goal being hailed as one of the best ever England goals? Granted I've only seen it from when Lallana back-heels it - but it looks just "OK" to me? Is there a lot more to it (in terms of team play or something) that I've missed? Just seems a bit OTT all this 'top 10 ever' stuff.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #397 on: June 15, 2015, 12:16:05 pm »

Why's this Wilshere goal being hailed as one of the best ever England goals? Granted I've only seen it from when Lallana back-heels it - but it looks just "OK" to me? Is there a lot more to it (in terms of team play or something) that I've missed? Just seems a bit OTT all this 'top 10 ever' stuff.

It started midway in the England half where someone (wasn't watching closely) took a Slovenia player out of the equation and set Henderson motoring away. Was just one of those rare goals that actually finished off a move where from way back you could see that something could be on. Pretty nice finish too.

Lethal break at pace with a lovely slick and a cracking finish. If we're being fair if that goal had been scored by a different country we'd probably be praising it a lot more.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2015, 12:18:49 pm »

It was a very good goal, whether it's top 10 or not I don't know but I can't remember many better in my lifetime (I'm 29)

There was great play down the wing by Townsend and Henderson, Henderson's perfect slide rule pass took a couple of players out of the game, Lallana's first time flick to Wilshere was sublime and Wilshere's finish from 30 yards could not have been any better. If you could pick your ideal spot it still wouldn't have been as good as that finish.

I clapped in appreciation when I saw it 

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2015, 12:23:44 pm »
Ah alright, that's fair enough. I'll see if I can find a longer clip on 'tube. I assumed there had to be more to it than just the flick and thump that I'd seen on vine! I know the press is terribly OTT (in both positive/negative) for the national team so you never know ;)