Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 72151 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Amazon Kindle
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2011, 04:27:45 pm »
Finally got one of these yesterday after being tempted for quite a while.

Very impressed so far; it's very light, easy to download books and allows you to get complete works for a ridiculous price like 70 p.

The only negative is that it's hard to find a particular page that equates to an actual book. Before I purchased it I had bought Crime and Punishment, the book version and read 200 pages out of 400. It took me about 10 minutes to find the page on the kindle that I was up to in the book because you enter locations rather than page numbers which is confusing. This will be a problem at Uni because obviously you'll need to find the relevant pages quickly, there and then which is a bit annoying but for reading at home it's perfect.

The books for 70p are usually available for free. Start here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:16 pm »
Had mine since Christmas but the screen has just gone. Anybody experienced that or Amazons warranty service?

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:30 pm »
The books for 70p are usually available for free. Start here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

I don't have anything to connect my kindle to the laptop, do you have to buy a cable to add those books to it?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline joe_m

• Anny Roader
  • CLE
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2011, 04:33:45 pm »
Had mine since Christmas but the screen has just gone. Anybody experienced that or Amazons warranty service?

Amazon is quite liberal with their warranty service, call them up and they'll replace it. (just had to replace mine I got in Sep. after the buttons started acting weird.)

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2011, 04:36:09 pm »
Amazon is quite liberal with their warranty service, call them up and they'll replace it. (just had to replace mine I got in Sep. after the buttons started acting weird.)

Good to know. Thanks for that

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »
I don't have anything to connect my kindle to the laptop, do you have to buy a cable to add those books to it?

You get one with the kindle...

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »
You get one with the kindle...

So you do!

Ahh pretty easy that Gutenberg lark but full works don't come with a table of contents. For individual books though it's great!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »
You'll also find most full price books for free online with a bit of searching

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2011, 06:25:41 pm »
Finally got one of these yesterday after being tempted for quite a while.

Very impressed so far; it's very light, easy to download books and allows you to get complete works for a ridiculous price like 70 p.

The only negative is that it's hard to find a particular page that equates to an actual book. Before I purchased it I had bought Crime and Punishment, the book version and read 200 pages out of 400. It took me about 10 minutes to find the page on the kindle that I was up to in the book because you enter locations rather than page numbers which is confusing. This will be a problem at Uni because obviously you'll need to find the relevant pages quickly, there and then which is a bit annoying but for reading at home it's perfect.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/02/amazon-adds-real-page-numbers-to-kindle/

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2011, 06:29:02 pm »

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2011, 06:45:18 pm »
The more reviews I see of it the more I'm tempted to get one, my mum swears by hers and we weren't sure she'd like it at all.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2011, 06:48:45 pm »
I'm thinking of getting one with my first wage packet of my new job next week. Cant stand reading big hardback books, I've got no shelf space for my 100's of books and half of my holiday luggage weight allowance is taken up by books so this seems ideal.

They seem to be universally praised too.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2011, 07:16:39 pm »
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/02/amazon-adds-real-page-numbers-to-kindle/

Mine doesn't seem to say the page number even when i click menu? Is there a way of getting it to do so or should it do it automatically?

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2011, 07:40:30 am »
Mine doesn't seem to say the page number even when i click menu? Is there a way of getting it to do so or should it do it automatically?
You might need to update the firmware then, just grab the latest firmware and follow the instructions.

EDIT: It seems only some books have it, and it appears to be books bought from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200504440_kswar_pages?nodeId=200504440#pages
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:47:31 am by JoeH »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2011, 08:29:59 am »
My bastard screen broke last night. Should be covered by the limited Warranty.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2011, 09:24:13 am »

Just to back up some of the earlier thoughts, Amazon are very good with their warranty and customer service.  My wife's Kindle was playing up due to the cover she had.  They replaced the cover asap and gave her a £20 credit.  They even called her back a few times to see if it was working ok with the new cover.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2011, 09:33:53 am »
Another +1 here for Amazon Customer Service.

When I first bought mine I dropped it and broke the on/off switch. I called Amazon, told them the problem (obviously leaving out the fact that I'd dropped it) and they sent a new one out to me immediately - before I'd even sent them the broken one. They arranged for DHL to pick up my old one too.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2011, 10:04:24 am »
My bastard screen broke last night. Should be covered by the limited Warranty.

Free replacement, express delivery, arrives tomorrow.

Nice.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2011, 10:46:40 am »
can you go  on sites like RAWK, and facebook on these things? yano with the free wirless internet?
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2011, 10:57:51 am »
can you go  on sites like RAWK, and facebook on these things? yano with the free wirless internet?

The 3G bit or the WiFi? WiFi, yes. 3G not really, although it sometimes works...

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2011, 11:27:03 am »

Probably best not to think about it like an alternative to the iPad, tablet or laptop.  The internet is really there to download books when you're away on holiday or away from a proper laptop etc.  You can surf the web in a pretty basic fashion but it's not really built for that.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2011, 11:55:34 am »
cheers people, wasnt really gonna use it like an ipad to be honest, just the odd facebook update and visiting rawk. doesn't seem like its a good option though.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2011, 12:02:51 pm »
the odd facebook update and visiting rawk

It's ok for that; but it is probably built for 90% reading books and 10% basic internet use.  Just my opinion though :)

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2011, 04:43:40 pm »
The 3G bit or the WiFi? WiFi, yes. 3G not really, although it sometimes works...

i used the 3G to browse the internet (amazon, rawk, bbc, twitter, facebook) for free from portugal  on a recent holiday - very useful 'extra' that saved a lot of money i would have spent on mobile phoen roaming data charges whilst i was away  8)

hoonin

« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2011, 05:49:59 pm »
Went on Amazon yesterday looking for some new books to buy. Staring right at me on their index page was an advert for a Kindle. Having had little interest in it previously I caved in to impulse and bought one :P

Went for the WiFi only version after deciding having 3G would kinda defeat my purpose of buying a Kindle - i.e. to read books rather than surfing the web :P

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:57 pm »
Went on Amazon yesterday looking for some new books to buy. Staring right at me on their index page was an advert for a Kindle. Having had little interest in it previously I caved in to impulse and bought one :P

Went for the WiFi only version after deciding having 3G would kinda defeat my purpose of buying a Kindle - i.e. to read books rather than surfing the web :P

http://calibre-ebook.com/  - Manage books not from Amazon on your PC.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »
Anyone have a link for the book

Things the Grandchildren Should Know, by Mark Oliver Evere

Lead singer of the eels. Would be awesome, thanks

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2011, 06:09:34 pm »
http://calibre-ebook.com/  - Manage books not from Amazon on your PC.

Calibre is absolutely brilliant, for all e-readers.

hoonin

« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2011, 06:26:06 pm »

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2011, 01:19:32 pm »
Right. Getting one of these bad boys. Anyone got the 3G version....if so do you find yourself using the feature when out and about?
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2011, 03:50:58 pm »
Right. Getting one of these bad boys. Anyone got the 3G version....if so do you find yourself using the feature when out and about?
I opted for the WLAN version, easy enough to chuck a load of books on. the web browsing is pretty crap compared to a tablet so didnt want to pay the extra £50 for the feature.

Offline joe_m

• Anny Roader
  • CLE
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »

I got the 3G version for use of the browser when I need to check mail (m.gmail.com or so forth) and also I read books across a number of devices, so the 3G makes sure the books are always synced between my Kindle and phone.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »
I'm leaning towards the wifi only but then keep thinking it'd be god to just quickly surf bbc or news sites while on the tube and stuff

Edit: Dont really need it for emails..can get those from my phone
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:15:48 pm by buzzing »
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2011, 06:34:11 pm »
Surely you can use the Internet on your phone then? And much better than the kindle could come up with I imagine

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2011, 08:06:39 pm »
Was thinking that too. But some sites dont load properly and you have to pinch and zoom..etc. How do they load on the kindle??? Keep changing my mind

Biggest draw to 3G one is can take it on holiday and use the 3g there

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »
The inclusive holiday 3g is a great advantage to be honest

for an extra 30 quid over the lifetime of the device I think it was worth it

Was thinking that too. But some sites dont load properly and you have to pinch and zoom..etc. How do they load on the kindle??? Keep changing my mind

Biggest draw to 3G one is can take it on holiday and use the 3g there

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2011, 10:03:11 pm »
The Sony E-Reader is fucking awesome. I just took it on a trip with me and read a couple novels on it. Recommended.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2011, 10:55:45 pm »
A Sony eReader wishes it was a Kindle...

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2011, 05:30:40 pm »
Right, 3g one it is....they better not fuckin release a colour e-ink one any time soon

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2011, 07:45:26 pm »
Last rumour I heard somewhere was September for a colour one.
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy