Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586999 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #7720 on: June 12, 2020, 12:50:21 pm »
Thanks, guys. I am spontaneously combusting with pride.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7721 on: June 12, 2020, 07:44:41 pm »
His best novel and one of the best of all time I would say.

I read Grapes of Wrath over this lockdown period. While I appreciated it and enjoyed some of it I just didn't click with it like I did with EOE.
I probably enjoyed Grapes of Wrath just as much if I'm honest. Seems quite a divisive novel though. I loved it, the ending especially.

The last book I read was my daughter's. Published yesterday, given my inscribed copy, polished off in one sitting. It's a YA fantasy, with a strong commentary on cult politics of the likes of Trump and Johnson (I brought her up well). I am, of course, shamelessly biased but ReadingZone (supports teachers and librarians in growing children as readers) gave it five stars. So if you happen to fancy that sort of YA ... Midnight's Twins is the title.

[Mods, hope this is okay as I've declared my interest.]

Congrats to you both mate.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7722 on: June 12, 2020, 08:38:13 pm »
The last book I read was my daughter's. Published yesterday, given my inscribed copy, polished off in one sitting. It's a YA fantasy, with a strong commentary on cult politics of the likes of Trump and Johnson (I brought her up well). I am, of course, shamelessly biased but ReadingZone (supports teachers and librarians in growing children as readers) gave it five stars. So if you happen to fancy that sort of YA ... Midnight's Twins is the title.

[Mods, hope this is okay as I've declared my interest.]

Brilliant
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7723 on: June 14, 2020, 03:22:58 pm »
I'm looking for some recommendations on books that are less fantasy, more political like Game of Thrones. I don't mind a little fantasy but I'm really more intrigued by families waging war and political power struggles. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #7724 on: June 14, 2020, 03:45:22 pm »
I'm looking for some recommendations on books that are less fantasy, more political like Game of Thrones. I don't mind a little fantasy but I'm really more intrigued by families waging war and political power struggles. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

The Malazan series by Steven Erikson fits the bill, but it is the most unforgiving in the genre that I have ever come across. I loved it, but it was a challenge to keep everything straight, especially in the beginning. There is no hand holding whatsoever. You just have to take a deep breath and roll with it. It's worth it in the end, for sure.

The Wheel of Time series has been read by most people, and there is quite a bit of intrigue in it, but you have to be ... I don't know what. His female characters are written as if he not only died a virgin, but never actually spoke to a living woman in real life (no offense to him, may he rest in peace). As a series it's equally daft and exciting through the first seven or eight books, after which it bogs down no matter how much patience you have in store.

It's quite hard to find something comparable to Martin, which is one of the many reasons it is so good. I'm completely put off it now after the TV show, but that shouldn't reflect on what has been a stonking triumph of an unfinished epic by someone who should have stopped fucking about with pewter figurines and conventions and sat his fat arse down to finish many years ago.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:48:20 pm by red mongoose »
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #7725 on: June 15, 2020, 09:11:22 pm »
Not sure if this one has been mentioned but I’m reading You’ll Never Walk by Andy Grant. He’s a young Bootle lad and red who joins the marines and suffers a catastrophic injury in Afghanistan aged 18. It’s an incredibly good read so far and I recommend it highly.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7726 on: June 15, 2020, 10:09:52 pm »

If it's the political side to things which appeals, have you read Mantel's books about Thomas Cromwell? Wolf Hall etc.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7727 on: June 15, 2020, 10:15:05 pm »
Or even the house of cards books (although, rarely, both TV series were better than the book)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7728 on: June 16, 2020, 01:18:29 am »
Speaking of recommendations...

I have a £20 book voucher to use up, and wanted to get something that's not something I could just easily read on a kindle and would be nice to own/keep. Maybe something like a graphic novel or an interesting hardback collection.

Any suggestions from the hive mind?

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7729 on: June 16, 2020, 06:02:55 pm »
Speaking of recommendations...

I have a £20 book voucher to use up, and wanted to get something that's not something I could just easily read on a kindle and would be nice to own/keep. Maybe something like a graphic novel or an interesting hardback collection.

Any suggestions from the hive mind?

They sell nice hardcover copies of Calvin and Hobbes collections - that's where my money would go.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7730 on: June 16, 2020, 07:18:45 pm »
Can pick up some of the hardcover classic Batman graphic novels for £20ish. Killing Joke Noir or something like that. Penguin do a nice range of clothbound classics for £15 which are often bundled for a bit more if you're after something nice for a bookcase when you've read or reread.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7731 on: June 23, 2020, 09:09:02 am »
You could check out Conn Iggulden. He writes historical fiction. He’s written about different historical eras: The Mongols, ancient Rome, the War of the Roses and ancient Greece.

Just started his book Falcon of Sparta.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:11:02 am by dalarr »

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7732 on: June 23, 2020, 09:20:45 am »

Not sure if its what you might be after, its nothing like Game of Thrones, but Colleen McCullough's Rome series is like being in a history lesson. Lots about Rome's forums, consuls, politics and wars. They are novels but very well researched.
Starts off with Marius and Sulla, then goes through Julius Caesars life, Pompey, Crassus, Cleopatra etc.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7733 on: June 23, 2020, 10:02:56 am »
Roberto Fabrri’s Vespasian series is similar
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #7734 on: June 23, 2020, 12:41:04 pm »
The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

A really funny, pick up at any time sort of novel, laughed out loud a few times.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #7735 on: June 23, 2020, 12:47:24 pm »
Not sure if its what you might be after, its nothing like Game of Thrones, but Colleen McCullough's Rome series is like being in a history lesson. Lots about Rome's forums, consuls, politics and wars. They are novels but very well researched.
Starts off with Marius and Sulla, then goes through Julius Caesars life, Pompey, Crassus, Cleopatra etc.

Masters of Rome is brilliant political history...

Peter McLean's Priest of Bones and Priest of Lies are two recent fantasies that have political elements, might work for you...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7736 on: June 23, 2020, 12:49:36 pm »
Just finished The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead.

Really excellent writing, both grim and hopeful at the same time. I liked it better than The Underground Railroad.

Got Sam Byers' Perfidious Albion marked up for next read. Really looking forward to that.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7737 on: June 23, 2020, 04:58:34 pm »
The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

A really funny, pick up at any time sort of novel, laughed out loud a few times.

Yeah, he's a really easy and pleasant writer to read.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7738 on: June 25, 2020, 07:34:33 am »
High-Rise (J.G. Ballard) - I like Ballard. His books are daring and imaginative even if they don't always hit the mark. This one had me in stitches at times it was so silly. Lots of fun all the same.

Ragtime (E.L. Doctorow) - this one was a bit of a surprise. A beautifully written novel set in America in the early 1900's. Coalhouse Walker is a character who will live long in the memory. This should be prescribed reading for high school students if it isn't already.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7739 on: June 25, 2020, 02:09:02 pm »
Just finished 'Quiet Genius - the story of Bob Paisley'.

Really enjoyed it. From someone who was born after this era it was a fascinating insight into the man and surprising in parts how he didn't seem to have brilliant man management at times and in many ways never seemed comfortable with being in the limelight.

Loved the stories of the players going out for pints after the game and Paisley leaving a box of title winners medals in the changing rooms. Completely different times.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #7740 on: June 25, 2020, 02:10:12 pm »

Ragtime (E.L. Doctorow) - this one was a bit of a surprise. A beautifully written novel set in America in the early 1900's. Coalhouse Walker is a character who will live long in the memory. This should be prescribed reading for high school students if it isn't already.
I read this about two months ago, a real treat. Apparently it was the bomb when it was first released. I have another of his, Billy Bathgate I have to get to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/books/el-doctorow-author-of-historical-fiction-dies-at-84.html

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7741 on: June 26, 2020, 07:26:03 pm »
I read this about two months ago, a real treat. Apparently it was the bomb when it was first released. I have another of his, Billy Bathgate I have to get to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/books/el-doctorow-author-of-historical-fiction-dies-at-84.html

That one is good, as is "Loon Lake" - very much worth a read, both of them.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7742 on: June 27, 2020, 11:51:36 am »

I read Billy Bathgate years ago. Hopefully our libraries will be reopening soon so I'll add Ragtime to the list.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7743 on: July 4, 2020, 10:59:00 pm »
Dune

It was ok. It wasn’t overly pompous and didn’t do too much Basil Exposition stuff.  But it was all a but white messiah for my tastes
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7744 on: July 4, 2020, 11:46:45 pm »
Reading :

Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software (Petzold, Charles)

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #7745 on: July 5, 2020, 10:49:08 am »
My sister released her debut novel last month. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/feb/27/big-girl-small-town-michelle-gallen-review

I’m biased, but I think it’s wonderful, so if it sounds your thing, give it a go.

The audio book is narrated by by Nichola coughlan from Derry Girls.
Sounds right up my street. When I lived in Cork (late 90s), I was working with the Kosovan refugees, and someone left a book there about the troubles that starts with IRA men in Birmingham, and I was too busy to get past the first chapter, then the book was taken away. Never found out what it was to this day, and there's even a  guy who has a website devoted to Troubles related fiction who didn't have it.
I'm in the latest (2019) Val McDermid, which goes back to the Wire In the Blood duo, which I never really read much because they were on the telly, but bloody hell it's so well crafted in the early chapters. I don't know whether to put it down and go back through the series first or just carry on.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7746 on: July 5, 2020, 11:21:18 am »
Sounds right up my street. When I lived in Cork (late 90s), I was working with the Kosovan refugees, and someone left a book there about the troubles that starts with IRA men in Birmingham, and I was too busy to get past the first chapter, then the book was taken away. Never found out what it was to this day, and there's even a  guy who has a website devoted to Troubles related fiction who didn't have it.
I'm in the latest (2019) Val McDermid, which goes back to the Wire In the Blood duo, which I never really read much because they were on the telly, but bloody hell it's so well crafted in the early chapters. I don't know whether to put it down and go back through the series first or just carry on.
Might have have been The Sett by Ranulph Fiennes
W

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7747 on: July 13, 2020, 03:45:07 pm »
Are there any books that anyone has read that has genuinely scared them? I've read a couple that are meant to be considered some of the scariest of time and while some of them are well written and enjoyable I've never felt anywhere near scared. 

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7748 on: July 13, 2020, 03:51:00 pm »

Wasn't the Sett supposed to be based on a true story?

It's years since I read it but I seem to recall a VIP paedophile ring, the assassination of a Asian military dictator in a sabotaged plane - all very eighties news stories.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7749 on: July 13, 2020, 04:33:51 pm »
Are there any books that anyone has read that has genuinely scared them? I've read a couple that are meant to be considered some of the scariest of time and while some of them are well written and enjoyable I've never felt anywhere near scared.

The Shining scared me last time I Read it - I dunno, read loads of King growing up but some parts of that are scary. Pet Semetary too, just the bit in the wilderness is really creepy (plus it's such a gloomy book)

Umm. Not much else. Lovecraft maaaybe but it's more creepy than scary. Haunting of Hill House was proper scary, and House of Leaves, though I was more "ah this is scary" than "omg I AM scared!"

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7750 on: July 13, 2020, 04:53:55 pm »

Jurassic Park is pretty scary, actually.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7751 on: July 14, 2020, 12:08:42 pm »
The Shining scared me last time I Read it - I dunno, read loads of King growing up but some parts of that are scary. Pet Semetary too, just the bit in the wilderness is really creepy (plus it's such a gloomy book)

Umm. Not much else. Lovecraft maaaybe but it's more creepy than scary. Haunting of Hill House was proper scary, and House of Leaves, though I was more "ah this is scary" than "omg I AM scared!"

I like the Shining, it's an enjoyable read. Didn't particularly scare me though. I haven't read Pet Semetary but I have ordered it and it should be arriving today.

Just finished Haunting of Hill House and really didn't do it for me. I know it leans far more on the side of terror than horror but there was just something I couldn't get on board with. Wasn't a fan of the dialogue or the ending.

I find the debate quite interesting of whether books can be considered scary because they are so subjective and rely on the imagination of the reader and for them to be immersed in it. Films present different ways of scaring the audience but I feel books don't have as many tools to do so.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7752 on: July 20, 2020, 10:55:03 am »
Conn Iggulden: The Falcon of Sparta. Finished it yesterday. He uses the same formula as in his other books and it works. He writes historical fiction, but takes some liberties along the way to make his stories more interesting. English is not my first language but I like his style of writing. It feels like you are in the middle of the battles  I liked the ancient Greece/Persia setting and it had a couple of plot twists that I didn’t expect.
If you liked his other books you should definitely give this one a go.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:57:58 am by dalarr »

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7753 on: July 30, 2020, 02:41:23 pm »
Just started The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Loved The Goldfinch and already making my way through this at a good pace. Very promising so far.

Novels I've read since lockdown. Nothing you won't have already heard of, but might help someone out looking for a recommendation. May add the non-fiction I've read later.

Atonement - Ian McEwan
This copy belonged to my parent's book collection. I always swerved McEwan's work on the grounds that I could find better authors on my own. Having read this I see how naive that notion was. Beautifully written and well structured.

Amsterdam - Ian McEwan
Same as above. A different slant and a narrower scope, but just as flawlessly put together.

Train Dreams - Denis Johnson
If you haven't read either this or Jesus' Son you're really missing out. I can say that with authority as I was in that camp until recently. In fact I hadn't heard of him. This was my favourite of the two. A slim masterpiece.

Seize the Day - Saul Bellow
Again, very short. The second Bellow novel I've read after Augie March. Where that was sprawling this is more concise, and achieves so much through it's subtlety. Will definitely read more of Bellow in the near future.

East of Eden - John Steinbeck
Started this years ago and lost my way about two thirds through. Not sure why or how because I love Steinbeck. Nothing to add here that you won't have heard before, it's a novel you'll never forget.

Portnoy's Complaint - Phillip Roth
Wasn't hugely impressed. Parts were funny, parts were tragic, but there's also a lot of treading over the same ground. I find my sense of humour is far more in tune with Johnson and Bellow, as well as someone like Martin Amis.

Rabbit, Run - John Updike
Had been wanting to read this for a long time, feeling it suited my tastes perfectly. Somewhat disappointing. Though I've heard the other stories in this collection are stronger.

The Belljar - Sylvia Plath
As above, didn't live up to my expectations. That's not to say it's bad, just that I don't think it quite matches the reputation.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7754 on: July 30, 2020, 05:31:44 pm »
Just started The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Loved The Goldfinch and already making my way through this at a good pace. Very promising so far.

Novels I've read since lockdown. Nothing you won't have already heard of, but might help someone out looking for a recommendation. May add the non-fiction I've read later.

Atonement - Ian McEwan
This copy belonged to my parent's book collection. I always swerved McEwan's work on the grounds that I could find better authors on my own. Having read this I see how naive that notion was. Beautifully written and well structured.

Amsterdam - Ian McEwan
Same as above. A different slant and a narrower scope, but just as flawlessly put together.

Train Dreams - Denis Johnson
If you haven't read either this or Jesus' Son you're really missing out. I can say that with authority as I was in that camp until recently. In fact I hadn't heard of him. This was my favourite of the two. A slim masterpiece.

Seize the Day - Saul Bellow
Again, very short. The second Bellow novel I've read after Augie March. Where that was sprawling this is more concise, and achieves so much through it's subtlety. Will definitely read more of Bellow in the near future.

East of Eden - John Steinbeck
Started this years ago and lost my way about two thirds through. Not sure why or how because I love Steinbeck. Nothing to add here that you won't have heard before, it's a novel you'll never forget.

Portnoy's Complaint - Phillip Roth
Wasn't hugely impressed. Parts were funny, parts were tragic, but there's also a lot of treading over the same ground. I find my sense of humour is far more in tune with Johnson and Bellow, as well as someone like Martin Amis.

Rabbit, Run - John Updike
Had been wanting to read this for a long time, feeling it suited my tastes perfectly. Somewhat disappointing. Though I've heard the other stories in this collection are stronger.

The Belljar - Sylvia Plath
As above, didn't live up to my expectations. That's not to say it's bad, just that I don't think it quite matches the reputation.

I preferred The Secret History to The Goldfinch. Both are brilliant though. Tartt is an exceptional writer.

I could never get in to Atonement but really enjoyed Enduring Love. Tried a few other McEwans down the years and nothing compared to EL for me.

I really like the Bell Jar. Catcher in the Rye is better though, similar books.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7755 on: July 30, 2020, 06:51:38 pm »
I preferred The Secret History to The Goldfinch. Both are brilliant though. Tartt is an exceptional writer.

I could never get in to Atonement but really enjoyed Enduring Love. Tried a few other McEwans down the years and nothing compared to EL for me.

I really like the Bell Jar. Catcher in the Rye is better though, similar books.
There was a whole chunk where The Goldfinch lost it's way, think it was in the middle parts. I can definitely see The Secret History surpassing it if it keeps to this standard throughout.

Definitely agree on Plath/Salinger comparison. The latter is an all time favourite of mine which probably coloured my experience of The Bell Jar.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #7756 on: July 30, 2020, 07:12:33 pm »
I'll get a copy and read it, superb thanks.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7757 on: August 19, 2020, 03:15:03 am »
That one is good, as is "Loon Lake" - very much worth a read, both of them.

I'm halfway through this at the moment. An intriguing read.

I read Billy Bathgate years ago. Hopefully our libraries will be reopening soon so I'll add Ragtime to the list.

I have this one at home too. I felt so relieved when the libraries reopened here. I'm planning on reading more of his books, such an enchanting writer.

Some other books I've read lately:

All The Pretty Horses (Cormac McCarthy) - great stuff
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz) - very enjoyable & sad, improved my Spanish, an eye opener from an historical perspective
The Leftovers (Tom Perotta) - I read this because I'm planning on watching the series. The book was not so good and I wouldn't recommend it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:21:45 am by Another Red »

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #7758 on: August 19, 2020, 08:39:51 am »
I'm re-reading the Hydrogen Sonata by Ian M Banks as Ive only read it once and ive run out of books I want to read.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7759 on: August 19, 2020, 09:09:57 am »
Just finished re reading Cannery Row and hoping that the library's doing orders so I can get Sweet Thursday.

I must have read them back in the mid sixties, my dad had them in paperback.