Author Topic: HBO's The Watchmen  (Read 9477 times)

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: HBO's The Watchmen
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 05:58:39 am »
Spoiler
he isn't dead? They just think he is but she knows better no?
[close]

Spoiler
But if they believed he died as a child how were they able to link him to her? He would have had to have fathered a child to get a grandchild.
[close]
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 01:10:41 pm »
I think it's been great so far. Ms Crookshanks is also lovely.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 01:15:56 pm »
I think it's been great so far. Ms Crookshanks is also lovely.

I thought the exact same thing

I'd say she possesses quintessential English beauty but the actress who plays her is from Scotland :)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2019, 04:14:49 pm »
Spoiler
But if they believed he died as a child how were they able to link him to her? He would have had to have fathered a child to get a grandchild.
[close]

I assumed it's because they test the DNA, and have his on file, and know that the two are connected without realizing that shouldn't be possible. One of those fuck ups computers make all the time.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2019, 11:18:11 pm »
The third ties it together much better, I'd recommend doing that one before quitting man.
Yep, will do. As I say, though, Lindelof being involved has me worried it'll end up a convoluted shitfest.

Offline rk1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2019, 11:26:53 pm »
Yep, will do. As I say, though, Lindelof being involved has me worried it'll end up a convoluted shitfest.

Did you see The Leftovers?

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2019, 01:34:29 pm »
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
thought the same as you but think its the probability from the match in dna which when worded didnt sound right at all
[close]

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2019, 09:48:53 am »
That episode was a cracker.

Spoiler
I haven't read the graphic novel but at the end of the film Rorschach sends his journal to a newspaper exposing the hoax. In the show it appears that nobody knows it was a hoax
[close]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:20:13 pm by Agent99 »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2019, 03:11:34 pm »
Yeah, I'm warming to it now. Had to do a bit of reading about the comic for it to click. Took me a bit to realise Jeremy Irons was Veidt from the film, but can't recall how he's ended up being where he is now, but his story is the most intriguing, and nuts.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2019, 03:17:49 pm »
I’m same as Mac

Even just reading about The Watchmen backstory on WIKI makes this series so much easier to follow and understandable.

Watching Ep5 tonight

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2019, 08:06:19 pm »
Episode 5 was a good one.

Enjoy how they eek out a bit of the backstory and expand on individual characters during each episode

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2019, 09:20:33 am »
Yeah that was a good episode. Love the Looking Glass guy, think the whole concept of his character is fantastic.

I've heard next weeks episode is a cracker.

Spoiler
Guessing we'll be getting a trip down memory lane to see the story of Angela's grandad.
[close]

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2019, 10:54:08 am »
Spoiler
Angela's grandad has to be Hooded Justice at this point, right? It has to be significant that HJ has been mentioned (or seen) in most episodes, with characters speculating as to his true identity. They're gearing up for a reveal, and Will would be a neat fit, tying firmly into the idea of legacy they're building - him as the first(?) masked superhero and his granddaughter now following a similar path.
[close]

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2019, 11:27:07 am »
Spoiler
So,if he is Hooded Justice as we all thought,then Laurie for most of her life thought he was her Father from what i remember from the fleem. That was until she learned her mother was raped by the Comedian. So in a bizarre way,shes been kinda related to Angela in her head for most of her life up until she found out he wasnt her dad. :P .... Next weeks show looks mental. Getting better and better,this. Love it.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:30:32 am by Capon Debaser »

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2019, 08:04:27 pm »
After being quite the headf*ck early on this is playing out to be pretty decent actually, last episode was really good.
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2019, 04:31:41 am »
Hooded Justice episode excellent. Series has been great, best thing on HBO since season 1 of True Detective.
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2019, 09:46:08 am »
Spoiler
A lesser series would have treated the Hooded Justice reveal as a massive twist. Instead, we learn really early on in this episode that Will is Hooded Justice, and then get to explore the why.

Alan Sepinwall's analysis is good as always: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/watchmen-recap-episode-6-exceptional-being-914283/

Can't get over, six episodes into its debut season, how bold this show is. The Laurie POV episode, last week's journey with Looking Glass and now this black and white trip down memory lane.
[close]

Also read an interview with Lindelof where he says that while he's open to doing more Watchmen, this is intended as a closed season in the vein of True Detective or Fargo. It's going to be a busy final three episodes, although you could easily argue that the plot is a secondary consideration here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:48:54 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2019, 05:28:12 pm »
Hooded Justice episode excellent. Series has been great, best thing on HBO since season 1 of True Detective.
Chernobyl? Westworld (first series)?

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2019, 06:07:59 pm »

I didn't like Westworld, although admittedly there was some promise in the first season. Think it was hugely guilty of what people feared Watchmen would fall down on, with mysteries for the sake of it. For me, Watchmen is much, much better.

Chernobyl is fair enough, best thing I've seen in ages but don't think you can compare a five-episode limited series based on true events with something like this. Both completely brilliant in different ways.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2019, 08:47:39 pm »

Chernobyl was excellent, you are right, but was a short docu- history series

Westworld jumped the shark even by the end of the first season.
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 02:00:02 am »
Superb again

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 02:22:51 am »

Have you watched Succession?

IMO it's the best drama on TV. It's flawless. As good as anything HBO has ever done. Jesse Armstrong, the showrunner, was a key collaborator with Iannuci on all of his shows and a co-creator of Peep Show. The writing is simply tremendous and the ensemble cast is the best since Arrested Development.

I cannot advocate enough for it. I know we're (still) in the golden age of TV but everything else is playing catchup to Succession.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2019, 06:57:25 pm »
What an absolutely fabulous episode of TV that was.

A well written and perfectly paced story that looked damn good and was accompanied by a wonderful 1940's soundtrack.  This episode really did have everything.

Particularly enjoyed the use of the Ink Spots song "We Three (my echo, my shadow and Me)" as the backing track to the montage showing
Spoiler
William Reeves/HJ's double life
[close]

The exact same song was used in similar circumstances in an opening episode of 'Better Call Saul' to highlight Jimmy's new identity as Gene in Nebraska.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »
Yeah, that was an awesome episode in an excellent series.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 2, 2019, 07:03:04 am »
Lindelof you son of a bitch
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 2, 2019, 10:41:23 am »
WTF was that ending all about?

Anyone know the cover version of the ending song? I've got a tiny bit of the lyrics stuck in my head.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 2, 2019, 05:38:31 pm »
Sweet! Not as good as the previous episodes which is kind of funny as Lindelöf didn't write it.

The music was Life on Mars by David Bowie.

"You do not want to fuck with Sister Night" :)

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #67 on: December 2, 2019, 07:09:48 pm »
That twist though! 2 Episodes left
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 07:23:46 pm by Casta »

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 2, 2019, 10:46:20 pm »
What the fuck
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 3, 2019, 08:19:35 am »
WTF was that ending all about?

Anyone know the cover version of the ending song? I've got a tiny bit of the lyrics stuck in my head.

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-cover-david-bowies-life-on-mars-for-watchmen-listen/

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 3, 2019, 08:24:17 am »

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-cover-david-bowies-life-on-mars-for-watchmen-listen/

On a side note to this; i`ve been listening to Downward Spiral quite a bit lately, what an album. My (now) wife went to the Pretty Hate Machine tour in 1989, it was a pretty small venue. Her and her friend were "asked backstage" after the gig, but had to beg off as her friends dad was coming to pick them up. ROCK`N`ROLL!

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #71 on: December 9, 2019, 12:34:42 pm »
Episode 8 answers loads of questions so far, really really good episode, dont forget to watch the end credits

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #72 on: December 9, 2019, 09:48:18 pm »
Another fantastic episode.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2019, 06:05:13 am »
I'm absolutely loving this show so far.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2019, 11:40:36 am »
Too many willies

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2019, 02:15:27 pm »
Really enjoyed the last episode and the series as a whole but I’m still a bit confused about the Adrian Veidt story arc.

Spoiler
Dr M traded the memory thing with Veidt who got to go to Europa In return and become a master.

Not sure why he isn’t allowed to leave though?

Also, how and why did Dr Manhattan seek out Angela in Saigon?
[close]

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2019, 02:19:16 pm »
Really enjoyed the last episode and the series as a whole but I’m still a bit confused about the Adrian Veidt story arc....

Did you watch the after credits bit?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2019, 03:14:31 pm »
Did you watch the after credits bit?

Yeah i did and that still confused me

What have I missed?

Edit:

Actually I'm cool with the Veidt situation now after reading a few recaps

Spoiler
Veidt, after dreaming of utopia, he discovered being worshipped blindly was boring — he wants to be needed, and thus, he’s trying to get back to Earth, in all its imperfect glory.

Phillips and Crookshanks in all their incarnations love him so much they don't want him to leave.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 03:45:21 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2019, 08:11:38 pm »
That was brilliant. Probably the best time travel/paradox writing seen since Back to the Future. No doubt there will be some asshole somewhere on the internet trying to pick out all the plotholes, but as something that just made narrative sense on the screen, that was perfect.

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2019, 09:13:37 pm »
The finale is tonight?