Poll

The incoming Tory Tax Cuts..

Brilliant! With everyone struggling at the moment, a few hundred quid would be most welcome
Maybe a small one, but money should be spent on failing public services
I am an egg and I like cheese and fluffy squirrels called Bob. Bob the Fluffy squirrel is my fave babes.
There shouldn't be a tax cut when public services are already so broken. Keep spending what we are
Far more investment is needed in this country. Spend the money where it's needed now and fuck this stupid Austerity shite.

Author Topic: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES  (Read 1327577 times)

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES
« Reply #31280 on: April 27, 2024, 06:53:50 pm »
Mad that he's been a Dr and it's taken until now for him to see the light.
Indeed.

Just spent the afternoon at Alder Hey with wonderful staff and care for a day surgery case. We all need to fight to protect our NHS from these vultures.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #31281 on: April 27, 2024, 07:10:47 pm »
Tory MP Dan Poulter defects to Labour.

But standing down at next election.
How does this work? I live in this constituency and he has a massive majority, one that I doubted he’d lose at the next election.

Presume the Tories will put someone else up against him. Should at least make it interesting, instead of the usual Tory landslide here
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31282 on: April 27, 2024, 07:28:38 pm »
I don't know if this is true but it's something I never thought of when the Torys bang on about record funding for the NHS.  am sure we will hear more if it is true.

Torys added the cost of all the dodgy PPE contracts to the NHS budget to claim the NHS has record funding under the Torys.

On the occasion of the Local Election next week I will share this post by  ⁦
@danielgoyal
⁩ again and again.

There you have it: 👇🏼 The Truth about the #ToryCorruption in one Tweet. And this is just about the PPE VIP Lane. Kindly think of this when you go to the ballot box.

https://twitter.com/MatthiasMuell15/status/1783720851684085973

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #31283 on: April 27, 2024, 08:30:29 pm »
How does this work? I live in this constituency and he has a massive majority, one that I doubted he’d lose at the next election.

Presume the Tories will put someone else up against him. Should at least make it interesting, instead of the usual Tory landslide here
Boundary changes, he’d be touch and go at the next election
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31284 on: April 27, 2024, 08:32:33 pm »
He’s doing the breakfast interviews tomorrow too…. Ouch!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31285 on: April 27, 2024, 08:51:15 pm »

Just call the election and fuck off to wherever you pay the least tax, Sunak.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31286 on: April 27, 2024, 08:55:10 pm »
Just call the election and fuck off to wherever you pay the least tax, Sunak.

He has his next job lined up in California.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #31287 on: April 27, 2024, 10:50:15 pm »
Rob Galloway
@DrRobgalloway
Dan Poulter was an ex junior dr of mine and literally brought in every policy that has destroyed the NHS

He is joining  the Labour Party so that post election he can be a medical advisor to the next Labour government.

It worries me what advice  he will give

@Keir_Starmer
 if you want a passionately pro  nhs doctor I'd be happy to advise.

I've also  spent my career trying to help the nhs not destroy it.

https://twitter.com/drrobgalloway/status/1784315930920489027

Politicians who swap parties, particularly to parties that are (in theory anyway) ideologically opposed, are among the lowest of the low. Zero principles whatsoever, driven entirely by self interest. Pretty shameful that someone who was happy to vote through Tory policies for the last 14 years is now welcome in the Labour party.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #31288 on: April 28, 2024, 01:13:21 am »
Rob Galloway
@DrRobgalloway
Dan Poulter was an ex junior dr of mine and literally brought in every policy that has destroyed the NHS

He is joining  the Labour Party so that post election he can be a medical advisor to the next Labour government.

It worries me what advice  he will give

@Keir_Starmer
 if you want a passionately pro  nhs doctor I'd be happy to advise.

I've also  spent my career trying to help the nhs not destroy it.

https://twitter.com/drrobgalloway/status/1784315930920489027

Politicians who swap parties, particularly to parties that are (in theory anyway) ideologically opposed, are among the lowest of the low. Zero principles whatsoever, driven entirely by self interest. Pretty shameful that someone who was happy to vote through Tory policies for the last 14 years is now welcome in the Labour party.

I’d agree to a degree in that a rat is a rat, if they can do it to someone else they can do it to you. Now I know nothing of Dr Galloway, but I do find it slightly ironic that he’s accusing Poulter of jumping ship because he wants a job, and in the very same post Galloway is himself offering his services.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31289 on: April 28, 2024, 08:44:52 am »
A very tetchy Sunak being interviewed by Trevor Phillips on Sky News now.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31290 on: April 28, 2024, 09:03:53 am »

Tetchy interviews are terrible for politicians.
W

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thinking is overrated.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31292 on: April 28, 2024, 09:24:58 am »
He has his next job lined up in California.

The c*nt should be going to prison along with the rest of them

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31293 on: April 28, 2024, 01:48:57 pm »
The c*nt should be going to prison along with the rest of them

I know that it won't happen but Starmer should have a little book full of cases that he wants investigating, hold all of the c*nts accountable.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31294 on: April 28, 2024, 01:50:02 pm »

They were talking about it on the Stephen Nolan show and it introduced me to a simpering Tory MP I'd not heard of before, Dr. Kieran Mullan of Crewe and Nantwich.  He spent the whole show trying to deflect any criticism and was constantly repeating that Labour-ran Welsh NHS was faring worse even though it was debunked the first time he said it.  Mullan wouldn't even accept any faults with the NHS when another GP with 45 years experience rang in and slated the Tory handling of it.

A quick read of Mullan's wiki entry suggests he's a doctor that's never really been that interested in being a doctor.  His first job was an account executive for a PR firm, then he worked for an advocacy group, founded a charity and finally became an MP at the third time of trying aged 35.  He's standing down at the next election after failing to get himself selected as the Tory candidate for the Gerrymandered safer seat of Chester South and Eddisbury (but not before he got the leading candidate disqualified, seemingly much to the anger of the local members).

To give Mullan some credit it seems like he volunteered for the NHS during the early stages of the pandemic.  I'm not sure how long that lasted beyond the initial photo opportunities though.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31295 on: April 28, 2024, 02:13:15 pm »
Just watched it:

https://news.sky.com/video/watch-prime-minister-rishi-sunaks-interview-with-trevor-phillips-in-full-13124807

Crap interview. Yeah, Sunak is utter shite - I expected that. But the questions and questioning from Phillips were utter shite too.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #31296 on: April 28, 2024, 02:44:14 pm »
I know that it won't happen but Starmer should have a little book full of cases that he wants investigating, hold all of the c*nts accountable.

Not sure locking up your political opponents is a great look.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31297 on: April 28, 2024, 03:49:36 pm »

MP credentials do not come with a get out of jail free card.

Break the law and you go to jail, politics needs cleaning up and there's not many more qualified than Starmer.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 03:51:31 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31298 on: April 28, 2024, 03:55:32 pm »

MP credentials do not come with a get out of jail free card.

Break the law and you go to jail, politics needs cleaning up and there's not many more qualified than Starmer.

Yeah. It's not about locking up your political opponents. It's about locking up people who have broken the law who just happen to be politicians. Of course those being investigated will claim political persecution; maybe they should try living in Russia - they don't know what political persecution is.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31299 on: April 28, 2024, 08:36:17 pm »
From the Guardian:

Senior Whitehall officials fear Thames Water’s financial collapse could trigger a rise in government borrowing costs not seen since the chaos of the Liz Truss mini-budget, the Guardian can reveal.

Such is their concern about the impact on wider borrowing costs for the UK, even beyond utilities and infrastructure, that they believe Thames should be renationalised before the general election.

Officials in the Treasury and the UK’s Debt Management Office fear that, unless the UK’s biggest water company is renationalised as soon as possible, “prolonged uncertainty” about its fate could “damage confidence in UK plc at a sensitive time”, with elections in the UK and the US later this year.

Earlier this month, the Guardian revealed details of government contingency plans, known as Project Timber, to renationalise Thames via a special administration. This could lead to the bulk of its Ł15bn of debt being moved on to the government’s balance sheet. Thames’ investors have refused to pump more money into the struggling company amid a standoff with the water regulator Ofwat.

Some lenders to its core operating company could lose up to 40% of their money under the plans, a move that officials believe marks a careful balance between managing public outrage at the water company’s many failures and the need to sustain investor confidence in the UK.

Those contingency plans also describe a risk of “contagion” from Thames’s plight that could trigger a loss of confidence that feeds through to wider state borrowing costs.

In the aftermath of the Truss mini-budget in September 2022, UK borrowing costs shot up as government debt markets went into freefall. Her chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng’s promise of Ł45bn of unfunded tax cuts, the sacking of the most senior civil servant at the Treasury and Truss’s refusal to have her sums checked by the independent Office for Budget Responsibility spooked investors and sent the value of UK debt instruments, known as gilts, plummeting.

The pound hit a low against the dollar not seen since 1985, and the whiplash effect on the bond market damaged some pension funds’ investment strategies so severely that the Bank of England had to stage an emergency market intervention to maintain market stability. That crisis added billions of pounds to the UK’s cost of borrowing, as investors demanded a higher price to lend to it. British households experienced big spikes in mortgage costs, as banks and building societies passed on higher borrowing costs. Many mortgage offers were pulled overnight.

While Kwarteng’s successor, Jeremy C*nt, reversed the tax plans and stabilised debt markets, the UK’s cost of borrowing has crept up again in recent months amid geopolitical shocks, including the Middle East conflict.

The UK’s growing debt pile and sluggish economic growth have added to investors’ wariness to lend to it. The UK’s Ł2.7tn of debt stands at about 98% of GDP, and will continue to swell as the government needs to borrow heavily to overhaul its ageing network of pipes, cables, water and power infrastructure.

The global lender of last resort, the International Monetary Fund, has warned that the UK is among economies where “debt vulnerabilities continue to grow” as inflation remains elevated. “Globally, borrowers would find it harder to service debt, given higher bond yields,” it said this month.

full article:  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/28/thames-water-collapse-borrowing-whitehall-uk-finances-bonds-liz-truss

Basically the UK economy is in a position not too dissimilar to Everton.

Popcorn's Art

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31300 on: April 28, 2024, 09:13:39 pm »
They were talking about it on the Stephen Nolan show and it introduced me to a simpering Tory MP I'd not heard of before, Dr. Kieran Mullan of Crewe and Nantwich.  He spent the whole show trying to deflect any criticism and was constantly repeating that Labour-ran Welsh NHS was faring worse even though it was debunked the first time he said it.  Mullan wouldn't even accept any faults with the NHS when another GP with 45 years experience rang in and slated the Tory handling of it.

A quick read of Mullan's wiki entry suggests he's a doctor that's never really been that interested in being a doctor.  His first job was an account executive for a PR firm, then he worked for an advocacy group, founded a charity and finally became an MP at the third time of trying aged 35.  He's standing down at the next election after failing to get himself selected as the Tory candidate for the Gerrymandered safer seat of Chester South and Eddisbury (but not before he got the leading candidate disqualified, seemingly much to the anger of the local members).

To give Mullan some credit it seems like he volunteered for the NHS during the early stages of the pandemic.  I'm not sure how long that lasted beyond the initial photo opportunities though.

He’s my local MP and he’s a vacant shit house. Not from the area, nowhere to be seen, would block people on socials who called him out etc.

The charisma of a clay pot.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31301 on: April 28, 2024, 11:46:47 pm »
From the Guardian:

full article:  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/28/thames-water-collapse-borrowing-whitehall-uk-finances-bonds-liz-truss

Basically the UK economy is in a position not too dissimilar to Everton.

The country is absolutely fucked, how can it be that the economy and public finances are in such a state that the bankruptcy of Thames Water could have this kind of an impact, there’s literally no resilience in anything if this is the impact of nationalising Thames Water. At least 2008 was a global issue involving opaque financial instruments, this is a fucking water company FFS
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31302 on: April 29, 2024, 08:21:09 am »
The country is absolutely fucked, how can it be that the economy and public finances are in such a state that the bankruptcy of Thames Water could have this kind of an impact, there’s literally no resilience in anything if this is the impact of nationalising Thames Water. At least 2008 was a global issue involving opaque financial instruments, this is a fucking water company FFS

It's rank economic incompetence. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh and corruption too.

These are the bastards who slashed our services in 2010 through "austerity" - cutting costs to supposedly save money. They're a bunch of locusts and mosquitos. Treated the country's finances like their own personal piggy bank.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31303 on: April 29, 2024, 08:46:53 am »
W

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31304 on: April 29, 2024, 08:55:28 am »
It's rank economic incompetence. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh and corruption too.

These are the bastards who slashed our services in 2010 through "austerity" - cutting costs to supposedly save money. They're a bunch of locusts and mosquitos. Treated the country's finances like their own personal piggy bank.

Britain has never really properly recovered from 2008 , Austerity and Brexit have just furthered the downturn the UK is screwed for the foreseeable future
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 12:59:19 pm by Shankly998 »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31305 on: April 29, 2024, 09:21:39 am »
Britain has never really properly recovered from 2008 , Austerity and Brexit have just furthered the downturn the UK is screwed for the foreseeable future.
Sins of the past have also started to come back to haunt us.  Selling the family silver was all well and good in the short-term but decades of diverting money out of the system was never going to end well.

Our gas/electric market collapsed in 2021.  The water monopoly has been milked to within an inch of its life.  Our rail system requires record levels of subsidies.  PPE contracts are suffocating schools and hospitals.  Underinvesting in the NHS and instead paying for procedures in private hospitals is a vicious circle.

Brexit is a more obvious own goal as there's not even a short-term benefit to mask the long-term damage.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31306 on: April 29, 2024, 05:58:13 pm »
Have I got this right, people on boats are coming to the UK and then getting on a boat to Ireland to claim asylum?

If so then this was the Torys hope from the start, word has got out among the people coming on boats to travel to Ireland when they get to the UK, I don't believe this is about the Rwanda deterrent, it's about being treated better in Ireland, no fear of being sent anywhere.
It doesn't stop the boats coming though does it if the first part of the plan is to cross the channel on a boat to get to the UK.
Can see Ireland clamping right down on arrivals, the CTA will stay but they will demand ID from people who they think aren't from the UK.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31307 on: April 29, 2024, 06:09:19 pm »
Have I got this right, people on boats are coming to the UK and then getting on a boat to Ireland to claim asylum?

If so then this was the Torys hope from the start, word has got out among the people coming on boats to travel to Ireland when they get to the UK, I don't believe this is about the Rwanda deterrent, it's about being treated better in Ireland, no fear of being sent anywhere.
It doesn't stop the boats coming though does it if the first part of the plan is to cross the channel on a boat to get to the UK.
Can see Ireland clamping right down on arrivals, the CTA will stay but they will demand ID from people who they think aren't from the UK.

They're ending up in Eire, so they must think that economically its the best bet and the crossing from France to Cork is way too far/dangerous, so boat to Dover, get to Liverpool/Stranraer and get a ferry to Belfast then travel to Dublin.

The issue I read was that Eire wants to send them back to the UK
Jurgen YNWA

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #31308 on: April 29, 2024, 06:26:33 pm »

I think it's more the that potentially other companies will go the same route not just TW.

I think the main reason the markets came in so hard on the Truss budget wasn't it being spectacularly bad, just a sign that she was insane and would flip off anyone that didn't agree with her.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31309 on: April 29, 2024, 06:54:42 pm »
They're ending up in Eire, so they must think that economically its the best bet and the crossing from France to Cork is way too far/dangerous, so boat to Dover, get to Liverpool/Stranraer and get a ferry to Belfast then travel to Dublin.

The issue I read was that Eire wants to send them back to the UK
Then that's even more spin than I thought and it's suspicious. 
So they try and cross in a dinghy but run into difficulty in the channel. UK border control pick them up and take them into Dover. suddenly they are on a train up to Liverpool. cross to NI knowing they won't be subject to Immigration as the CTA allows free movement. they then make there way to South Of Ireland.
Why is it just these people doing it, all the people coming on a boat who actually get in without being caught can do it.
It's certainly not stopping the boats either, sounds like a incentive to come. get on a boat to cross the channel. if your picked up the UK will allow you to make your way to Ireland.
               Emily Maitlis

Online CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #31310 on: April 29, 2024, 08:09:17 pm »
I hate to be a pedant but;

It's Ireland. Not Eire (unless you are speaking Irish) and it's not the 'South of Ireland' - that's Wexford, Waterford, Cork etc!

Sorry, just gets on my tits!  :wave

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31311 on: April 29, 2024, 08:42:18 pm »

It's Ireland. Not Eire (unless you are speaking Irish) and it's not the 'South of Ireland' - that's Wexford, Waterford, Cork etc!

:) I knew South of Ireland didn't sound right, sorry Southern Ireland.

Emily Maitlis

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #31312 on: April 29, 2024, 08:54:19 pm »
:) I knew South of Ireland didn't sound right, sorry Southern Ireland.

:lmao

You've somehow made it even worse ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31313 on: April 29, 2024, 09:13:51 pm »
:lmao

You've somehow made it even worse ;D
:) Ahh no, never my intention.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31314 on: April 29, 2024, 09:21:35 pm »

We call the part of our company that operates in the Dublin area Eire, and the branches in Belfast and Derry are known as NI, so that's why I call it Eire.

If you say Ireland to me I think of the whole island, not the bit in the EU.

Fucking confusing, no wonder my grt grt got grt grandad left ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31315 on: April 29, 2024, 09:38:24 pm »
Once again I'm experiencing a mix of anger and terror over the latest PIP "reforms" - code for "how can we shave money from this?"

The government suddenly thinks that stress, anxiety and depression can be "cured" by work. The reality is most people with these problems have come from toxic work environments, dealing with low pay, poor hours and lousy working conditions.

May as well say the best cure for alcoholism is to get so blind drunk you stop thinking about it...

Popcorn's Art

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31316 on: April 29, 2024, 10:30:44 pm »

I watched a few reports etc re this and haven’t heard anyone query how they can travel through customs or even whatever security/access points there are at ferry terminals to travel from GB to NI.  Terminals ask (or should do) for ID, boarding cards, etc. 

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31317 on: April 29, 2024, 10:47:16 pm »
I watched a few reports etc re this and haven’t heard anyone query how they can travel through customs or even whatever security/access points there are at ferry terminals to travel from GB to NI.  Terminals ask (or should do) for ID, boarding cards, etc. 

Do you need to show ID to go from England to NI? It’s part of the UK so I assume you can just buy a ticket and jump on a ferry and go without ID just as you go from England to Scotland or Wales to England without any ID?
Thinking is overrated.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31318 on: April 29, 2024, 10:53:47 pm »
So a clamp down would stop it in it's tracks, ID can be forged of course but you need the connections. I also wonder how the people of NI feel about this, I cant see this lasting long.
               Emily Maitlis

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31319 on: April 29, 2024, 11:11:07 pm »

I don’t think it’s a new idea, a friend of a friend who came from India and overstayed his visa did something similar when immigration were on his case about 5 years ago, not sure how he did it but he got himself to the Republic of Ireland, stayed there a few years, got his immigration status sorted and then came back to the UK.

On the whole Republic of Ireland will treat them better, they have had a few nasty incidents regarding immigrants (the whole ‘Ireland is full’ campaign) and the mood seems to be turning similar to the same as over here by a vocal group, and as for Ireland isn’t trying to send them somewhere else… they are trying to send them back to the UK!
Thinking is overrated.