Author Topic: Harvey Elliott (Harvey Daniel James Elliott)  (Read 598046 times)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Re: Welcome Harvey
« Reply #280 on: August 1, 2019, 10:10:54 pm »
15/16 year old kid says something offensive. Ok. Is he sorry? Seems so. Let's move on to his hat trick Vs Abu Dhabi c*nts on Sunday
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #281 on: August 1, 2019, 10:11:54 pm »
I'm not sure if I'd take Jason McAteer's opinions on decision-making with anything other than a pinch of salt.

This is, after all, the bloke who saw Jimmy White and shouted "One-Hundred-and-Eight-Teeeeeeeeee!"

;D

Jason "Trigger" McAteer?

Offline reddragon

• Main Stander
« Reply #282 on: August 1, 2019, 10:16:16 pm »
Im disabled,  if a disabled person has the capability to find and watch  that video, they will undertand it.  However yes you are correct in hindsight, not all disabled people would.  I dont think thats the reason it goes unchecked though. Slightly off topic.
interesting - why do you think it goes unchecked?

Online Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #283 on: August 1, 2019, 10:33:41 pm »
yeah loads of teenagers when I was one liberally used words like the one he used/homophobic ones pretty liberally as insults, teenagers aren’t exactly known for being worldly and knowing the real depth of meaning and connotations behind things (I mean up until fairly recently ladyboy jokes weren’t seen as being particularly offensive), as long as he learns its ok
I think he knew exactly what the word meant as he impersonates Harry Kane with an exaggerated slow speech.  That being said, this isn't about throwing someone under the bus, it's about taking the opportunity to promote a greater understanding of equality and diversity.  He's going to be in the media eye much more now and with that comes a responsibility to act as a positive role model.  I'm sure the club will already have spoken to him in depth about why this video is an issue, they'll give him advice about how to avoid these pitfalls and give him opportunities in the future to meet with fans with related disabilities.  With all those things, we move on.  I'd only take exception if this mistake is repeated in the future, in which case it would be indefensible.

As reddragon has eluded to... Offence isn't determined by the recipient or the offender.  It's determined by anyone who hears the insult, and with the context of that word as a derogatory term for a particular group in society, I can completely understand why it is so offensive to a great number of people (not just those with connections to people with learning differences).

I have to say though, I hope the person who distributed the video has consequences too.  Plus, I'd be interested what Fulham's academy and club staff have done to raise awareness of social media related issues and the equality based issues this highlights.  There is a culture in some football circles that doesn't exactly challenge this sort of thing very well.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2019, 10:43:10 pm by Prof »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: August 1, 2019, 10:45:08 pm »
interesting - why do you think it goes unchecked?

I dont know.  Generally for every disabled person that doesnt understand and cant respond like your Son, there is someone to take it on.  You in your sons case.  Maybe the disabled community are perceived as being less capable of responding. Just a theory
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline reddragon

• Main Stander
« Reply #285 on: August 1, 2019, 11:05:54 pm »
I dont know.  Generally for every disabled person that doesnt understand and cant respond like your Son, there is someone to take it on.  You in your sons case.  Maybe the disabled community are perceived as being less capable of responding. Just a theory
I think most of us don't bother. We all have enough shit to get on with just running our lives!!
This vid has highlighted it for me. The lad has actually committed a potential hate crime and nobody is even batting an eyelid.
 It's all 'he's only 16' and 'we were all wankers at that age' which I do understand and agree with.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: August 1, 2019, 11:08:27 pm »
As reddragon has eluded to... Offence isn't determined by the recipient or the offender.  It's determined by anyone who hears the insult, and with the context of that word as a derogatory term for a particular group in society, I can completely understand why it is so offensive to a great number of people (not just those with connections to people with learning differences).
just want to add something to this point, one thing I remember years ago was with the Australian cricket commentators using the word ‘paki’ when they’re playing Pakistan (and it’s not an offensive term in Australia but here it is, there it is more like ‘scot’), is something like that worthy of being brought up as it’s clearly not meant to be offensive, ditto the Alan Hansen ‘coloured players’ comment around the time of the Suarez evra incident which caused a fair bit of moral outrage even though when watching it he clearly wasn’t saying it in an offensive manner (and there are some offended by using the word ‘black’)

Offline MancEunuchian

• Manc
  • Main Stander
  • On the piss with Georgie Best
« Reply #287 on: August 1, 2019, 11:42:03 pm »
Not to beat a dead horse but if it was just him using the term, that'd be one thing.  But his impersonation makes it worse imo.  And I understand when you're 16 you're gonna say stupid shite, just seems odd to praise him for it like @AndyMuller does here.  My cousin has a special needs child so I've seen firsthand how painful this sort of thing can be.  Hopefully, there will be more awareness raised and some good will come out of it.   

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: August 2, 2019, 07:12:36 am »
Not to beat a dead horse but if it was just him using the term, that'd be one thing.  But his impersonation makes it worse imo.  And I understand when you're 16 you're gonna say stupid shite, just seems odd to praise him for it like @AndyMuller does here.  My cousin has a special needs child so I've seen firsthand how painful this sort of thing can be.  Hopefully, there will be more awareness raised and some good will come out of it.
Exactly!

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: August 2, 2019, 07:23:43 am »
just want to add something to this point, one thing I remember years ago was with the Australian cricket commentators using the word ‘paki’ when they’re playing Pakistan (and it’s not an offensive term in Australia but here it is, there it is more like ‘scot’), is something like that worthy of being brought up as it’s clearly not meant to be offensive, ditto the Alan Hansen ‘coloured players’ comment around the time of the Suarez evra incident which caused a fair bit of moral outrage even though when watching it he clearly wasn’t saying it in an offensive manner (and there are some offended by using the word ‘black’)
There are words that are generally accepted to use.  Most formalised groups that represent minorities of any type define how they want to be referred to.  It's difficult to take everything into account, and in some situations a level of balance is needed.

Some people with gender identity issues don't like to be called he/him /she/her etc and prefer "they"... But for everyone to go around without using gender based terms isn't going to happen, and as gender based terms aren't used to isolate a group in society, it is not comparable to some of the other words we've mentioned.

Where gender based terms become inappropriate is when they are used as deliberate insults, such as a boy being referred to as "such a girl" etc

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: August 2, 2019, 08:07:08 am »
I think most of us don't bother. We all have enough shit to get on with just running our lives!!
This vid has highlighted it for me. The lad has actually committed a potential hate crime and nobody is even batting an eyelid.
 It's all 'he's only 16' and 'we were all wankers at that age' which I do understand and agree with.

It was front page news on the BBC. Hardly nobody batting an eyelid. He's a child that said something daft. He'll get educated and do a bit of community work. We move on.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: August 2, 2019, 08:12:15 am »
It was front page news on the BBC. Hardly nobody batting an eyelid. He's a child that said something daft. He'll get educated and do a bit of community work. We move on.
To be fair... The articles I've read have focused on the fact he took the piss out of Harry Kane, not the fact he used that term while imitating someone with learning differences.

I totally agree with what you say about Harvey though.  It's done, the club will educate him and use it to educate other players, and we move on.  I hope to see him have a brilliant career with us and become a great role model for other young people.

Offline cheshiremike

• Podcast/Youtube Addict. Sworn enema of CheshireDave
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #292 on: August 2, 2019, 09:57:10 am »
no problem with this at all, Kane is a prick and talks like a tory twat.

Couldn't careless, was doing much worse at 16 back in the day.

Move on, he is going to be a very good player for us.

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #293 on: August 2, 2019, 10:46:34 am »

I have an American mate who was visiting us a while ago and was absolutely shocked when the commentator referred to Javier Hernandez as the little Mexican, and he said no way would anyone be able to say that in the states as its highly offensive.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 2, 2019, 10:50:34 am »
Very excited about this kid. He seems to have "it".

Reminds me a bit of the Coutinhos and David Silva's of this world. Obviously he has a long, long way to go to reach their level, but he does look that sort of lock-picking player.

If you did not know how old the kids we have played in pre-season were and were asked to guess which one was 16, I don't think many would assume it were him based on the way he plays the game.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #295 on: August 2, 2019, 11:00:03 am »
To be fair... The articles I've read have focused on the fact he took the piss out of Harry Kane, not the fact he used that term while imitating someone with learning differences.

Was he not doing a caricature of Kane?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: August 2, 2019, 11:03:30 am »

I don't think harry kane is a person that I find irritating though? I mean technically my daughter is a person that I find irritating if we are going down that route, so you can see the issue.

And rawk has auto corrected the word so obviously the language is an issue.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: August 2, 2019, 12:48:32 pm »
15/16 year old kid says something offensive. Ok. Is he sorry? Seems so. Let's move on to his hat trick Vs Abu Dhabi c*nts on Sunday

Yeah. Pseudo-moralists expecting a 15 year old kid to have conversation about philosophy with his mates.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: August 2, 2019, 03:45:46 pm »
Yes. I'm sure he was. But add that word in and I can see the offence it causes.  Like I say it's not about blaming the kid, it's about educating him and others that it's not necessary to use that word.  If he'd said "I'm Harry Kane and I'm thick", no problem.  He's been through a professional club's academy and I maintain he's either been let down with his education (which I think is the case) or he's ignored it and this needs to be the real lesson.

Anyway, I've said my piece and not trying to make too much of it, just wanted to support some of the other voices in here who have more reason to be offended than I am.

Let's hope he scores his first goal for us soon and the headlines will be for the right reason.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: August 2, 2019, 04:26:19 pm »
no problem with this at all, Kane is a prick and talks like a tory twat.

Couldn't careless, was doing much worse at 16 back in the day.

Move on, he is going to be a very good player for us.

Absolutely.  Doing a derogatory impression of a minority, marginalised group is sound as fuck.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: August 2, 2019, 04:29:30 pm »
Has anyone cracked the in 14 years he will be 30 so get rid joke yet?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: August 2, 2019, 04:32:40 pm »

Noticed that myself. Looking at the apology, its an open apology to anyone who may have took offence. So fair play to whoever wrote that apology.
However the media reporting seems to think it worse for Kane then the disabled community and I think that completely misses the point,

Have you seen the video mate.  Kane wont be remotely arsed.  The offence taken will be by and on behalf of the disabled community. 

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: August 2, 2019, 04:36:39 pm »
Yeah. Pseudo-moralists expecting a 15 year old kid to have conversation about philosophy with his mates.

So if you think somethings wrong you are a Pseudo-moralists?  Ever thought that maybe what he did was just wrong. 

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #303 on: August 2, 2019, 04:48:08 pm »
So if you think somethings wrong you are a Pseudo-moralists?  Ever thought that maybe what he did was just wrong.
Nobodys saying what he did was right though.
What people are saying was he's 16 and still a bit of a dick.
He's apologised; what more do you want?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: August 2, 2019, 04:51:49 pm »

He's apologised; what more do you want?

For Rick to not label those discussing it as Pseudo-moralists. 

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #305 on: August 2, 2019, 05:02:10 pm »
For Rick to not label those discussing it as Pseudo-moralists.
That's up to Rick; you could try asking him  :wave
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: August 2, 2019, 05:12:52 pm »
That's up to Rick; you could try asking him  :wave

Thanks for your input and mediation on this. its been invaluable. 
Feel free to geg in anytime  :wave

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #307 on: August 2, 2019, 08:46:57 pm »
Ain't I glad I have no Twitter, Instagram or Facebook... It ain't too bad to have missed the whole saga, which ain't over yet.

I'll just wait for this thread to go back to football...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: August 2, 2019, 10:15:37 pm »
I’ve trademarked “Welcome Harvey”. Lawyers will be in touch.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: August 2, 2019, 11:23:09 pm »

Someone put a comma in the title, quick!
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: August 2, 2019, 11:36:06 pm »

I've trademarked 'Joey Deacon' - every one of you schoolkids from the 70's and 80's needs to think on, or you can expect a very stern 'cease and desist' letter from my lawyers.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #311 on: August 2, 2019, 11:58:58 pm »
I've trademarked 'Joey Deacon' - every one of you schoolkids from the 70's and 80's needs to think on, or you can expect a very stern 'cease and desist' letter from my lawyers.
Nice one... 'Doffs hat'

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2019, 12:18:37 am »
Thought he was outstanding tonight. Very unlucky not to score, very creative and not afraid to help out at the back. Keep it up lad and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of you.
Why was my post deleted?

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #313 on: September 26, 2019, 12:23:40 am »
Touch of class.  16 years old,shamoan.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #314 on: September 26, 2019, 12:32:39 am »
He’s got 7 months to be our youngest scorer - I think that’s a record he’ll end up breaking. Looked class tonight.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #315 on: September 26, 2019, 01:37:55 am »

He's actually good.

Weren't Barcelona looking at him before we got him?
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: September 26, 2019, 05:11:06 am »
Harvey Elliot making his League Cup debut and almost scoring at 16 years old.

This should be a salutary lesson to Bobby Duncan at 18 years old and only at the start of his second season at Liverpool who would have been playing in that match had he exercised reasonable patience. Instead thanks to him forcing a move, he is currently playing in Fiorentina's U-19 team (despite the fact that he was promoted to Liverpool's U-23 team this season)...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:12:42 am by ThePoolMan »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #317 on: September 26, 2019, 05:13:08 am »
He’s got 7 months to be our youngest scorer - I think that’s a record he’ll end up breaking. Looked class tonight.

Would rather that he ends up our oldest goalscorer to be honest. Youngest goalscorers mean very little.

But yes, he looks tremendous.

If we could combine his game intelligence and technique with the power of a Jordon Ibe he would be unstoppable already.

As it is, he probably needs a little more strength and speed.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: September 26, 2019, 06:24:51 am »
How is he only 16? Outshone every other liverpool player on the pitch in a creative, goal threat sense. Absolutely outstanding. Re strength and speed, he looks like he'll end up as an 8 to me, although he's got plenty of time for physical development.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #319 on: September 26, 2019, 07:18:11 am »
How is he only 16? Outshone every other liverpool player on the pitch in a creative, goal threat sense. Absolutely outstanding. Re strength and speed, he looks like he'll end up as an 8 to me, although he's got plenty of time for physical development.
He did mate, just seemed to have that look about him, like something was going to happen every time he was on the ball.

Got the makings of a real shit hot player this kid, needs to be handled with care, very slowly brought in over the next few years.