Author Topic: Premier League suspended until safe to resume  (Read 160821 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Premier League suspended until 3rd April
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2020, 01:06:52 pm »
I'm going to CeX on the way home and seeing what I can pick up to tide me through.

I think another play through of the Last of Us might be apt
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2020, 01:09:15 pm »
It'll be just fine.  The end is nigh stuff is more prevalent during periods of uncertainty.  The one thing we do know is how profitable this league is --- they won't want to compromise their revenue streams especially after the hit everyone will be taking during the crisis.

I think what we are talking about here is when we come back to the league, not if.   The only thing that could confound this (imo) is a derelict of duty and total systemic incompetence leading to major delays, cycles of reinfection, and a collapse of the existing health systems.  In Italy, they were not prepared, behind the curve, and were the first to deal with the community spread issue without adequate testing, medical labour and hospital bed space.

If we learn how to defeat the virus together, we should be fine in terms of stopping its spread (incubation period appears to be 3-5 days - before symptoms occur).     

No one wants to hear this shit. I want death, burning, fires, pillage and plunder. The rapture and ragnarok even! The end of all times.

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2020, 01:09:51 pm »
I think another play through of the Last of Us might be apt

Or a game of Tetris

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2020, 01:09:53 pm »
If the season does not finish by June, contracts become a mess. Do you allow teams to change their League squads? Could they replace players they lose on a Bosman? From our narrow self interest it is just as well we have effectively won the title - could you imagine it being as close as last season, with City buying say Messi to close out the season.

I would favour taking advantage of the World Cup being at a silly time, and shifting seasons so the World Cup falls in a Season break - then shifting it back after then.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2020, 01:13:52 pm »
If the season does not finish by June, contracts become a mess. Do you allow teams to change their League squads? Could they replace players they lose on a Bosman? From our narrow self interest it is just as well we have effectively won the title - could you imagine it being as close as last season, with City buying say Messi to close out the season.

I would favour taking advantage of the World Cup being at a silly time, and shifting seasons so the World Cup falls in a Season break - then shifting it back after then.

I would expect all the leagues to say nothing is allowed to occur in this respect until your club season is over.

Most contracts have an act of god clause in there - lets say this situation fits.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2020, 01:18:35 pm »
So much for winning the league in record time. :lmao
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2020, 01:21:23 pm »

It could be the record for the latest ever league win!
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Lidmanen

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2020, 01:21:55 pm »

I'm no lawyer but I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement temporary extensions to contracts if needed.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2020, 01:24:55 pm »
I'm no lawyer but I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement temporary extensions to contracts if needed.

Might get tricky for people who have signed pre contracts to join a new club from July. What if they stayed longer at their current club and got injured?

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t seem the biggest problem but will probably be quite a headache for someone.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2020, 01:25:58 pm »

Also @admin brahs, how come I can't post in the Flagpole Corner forums like General Football and Sport, or post images?

Nice try, Xxavi

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2020, 01:26:40 pm »
It's gonna be a bit of a Don Bradman's average of a league season isn't it? The one everyone will remember for the 'could have been perfect' aspect.

Hope you and your families are all in one piece folks. Genuinely time to look after each other I think.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2020, 01:27:35 pm »
It's gonna be a bit of a Don Bradman's average of a league season isn't it? The one everyone will remember for the 'could have been perfect' aspect.

Hope you and your families are all in one piece folks. Genuinely time to look after each other I think.

As long as its official that we are awarded it, that's all that matters. Its won anyway and everyone knows it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2020, 01:28:00 pm »
Nice try, Xxavi

Cannot believe he didn't at least go with IniestaXavi.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2020, 01:31:17 pm »
One can read a book on the internet - Rene Dubos would be good for you Phil M

Didn't he play for Marseille in the 90's?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2020, 01:36:22 pm »
We could be the team to be the latest to win a title!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2020, 01:38:38 pm »

:nirnir
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2020, 01:39:01 pm »
In the slim chance of the Premier League allowing our game with City to go ahead, I think it's pretty fucking doubtful that City won't claim that one of theirs is showing symptoms. Anything to stop us winning the title at the Ethiad.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2020, 01:39:35 pm »
Euro's will be cancelled till next summer, giving leagues time to complete their seasons. Every top flight league is pretty much down to 10 or less games remaining.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2020, 01:47:17 pm »
Euro's will be cancelled till next summer, giving leagues time to complete their seasons. Every top flight league is pretty much down to 10 or less games remaining.

You could have a Saturday - Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday schedule for 2 and a bit weeks with the first Sat - Tues being home games whilst the Thursday - Sat ones being away to minimise travel disruption.

Or you could go Saturday - Wednesday - Saturday for almost 4 weeks, albeit 4 weeks in this climate seems a lifetime.

I don't see the rush to start a new season anyway. You could easily have a vastly shortened 20/21 Season by cancelling international breaks and cups.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2020, 01:47:30 pm »

Definitely, the more you think of it the more you realise its the only sensible solution. Voiding everything and starting from scratch will do more damage to football in general than good.

Offline XaviIniesta

• Boys Pen
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2020, 01:50:04 pm »
Cos Barcelona related usernames are frowned upon. Soz la.
Lolz
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/fsl0FZZdws3kBKaBvpqH63iCj8c=/1000x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8689071/My5Z2DO.gif

Re topic, if (since) there's no soccer games for few months, I'll just use dem time to build a better world, on Minecraft. Might try out games like Witcher or Batman too which never had the time to do.

Honestly even if league ended up being voided (which I'm 90% sure won't happen), not gonna be too fussed. Like I've followed Liverpool all me life and watched us come close in 08/09, 13/14, and 18/19, but this time feels different. It feels like we can actually create a sustaining legacy since we have great foundations in place. 08/09 and 13/14 felt like one offs.

And with Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd all in rebuild stages, and Man City being dildo'ed by UEFA for 2 years (lol), I think we can be a real force in the future. It's the journey that counts anyway and this is the best I've seen us play in the past 15 years.

Offline XaviIniesta

• Boys Pen
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2020, 01:52:18 pm »
Cannot believe he didn't at least go with IniestaXavi.
Nah too corny.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2020, 01:52:43 pm »
You could have 5 weeks of and start again on 20th April v Brighton and still finish league on time by playing Saturday/Wednesday.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2020, 01:53:25 pm »
Lolz
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/fsl0FZZdws3kBKaBvpqH63iCj8c=/1000x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8689071/My5Z2DO.gif

Re topic, if (since) there's no soccer games for few months, I'll just use dem time to build a better world, on Minecraft. Might try out games like Witcher or Batman too which never had the time to do.

Honestly even if league ended up being voided (which I'm 90% sure won't happen), not gonna be too fussed. Like I've followed Liverpool all me life and watched us come close in 08/09, 13/14, and 18/19, but this time feels different. It feels like we can actually create a sustaining legacy since we have great foundations in place. 08/09 and 13/14 felt like one offs.

And with Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd all in rebuild stages, and Man City being dildo'ed by UEFA for 2 years (lol), I think we can be a real force in the future. It's the journey that counts anyway and this is the best I've seen us play in the past 15 years.

You cant take anything for granted in football, with City potentially out of Europe they could win all the domestic cups for fun. This year the title is ours.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2020, 01:57:44 pm »
Once safe (whenever that will be), then I think somehow this season has to finish. The impact of just cancelling it would be massive, and I don't just mean for us. There's Champions League and Europa League places where revenue would be missed out on (how do you even have a competition next season if you don't know who's in it?), teams in promotion places that would have to be told "You aren't getting promoted and the money that would bring", teams in relegation places that would essentially get a free pass to remain in the division... there's too many unknowns to just stop the season. Even if it means next season starts late, this one needs to finish eventually once it's safe to resume.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2020, 02:02:34 pm »
'There is a determination to complete the season'

Dan Roan

BBC Sports editor

A reminder of the details our sport editor Dan Roan brought us earlier after the Premier League cancelled all matches until 3 April.

This action goes against the government’s highly controversial advice to continue staging sports events despite mass gatherings being closed or cancelled across the world.

But, DCMS officials are known to be supportive of the decision football authorities have taken given the need to protect employees, and the mounting cases of players contracting the virus.

The problem is that the outbreak is expected to be at its peak in May and June so if the suspension keeps on being extended, some clubs may start to push for the season to be declared void, a nightmare scenario for clubs like Liverpool and Leeds Utd, who both stand on the brink of long-awaited glory.

But as it stands, there seems to be a determination to complete the season if at all possible.
#Sausages

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2020, 02:08:52 pm »
'There is a determination to complete the season'

Dan Roan

BBC Sports editor

A reminder of the details our sport editor Dan Roan brought us earlier after the Premier League cancelled all matches until 3 April.

This action goes against the government’s highly controversial advice to continue staging sports events despite mass gatherings being closed or cancelled across the world.

But, DCMS officials are known to be supportive of the decision football authorities have taken given the need to protect employees, and the mounting cases of players contracting the virus.

The problem is that the outbreak is expected to be at its peak in May and June so if the suspension keeps on being extended, some clubs may start to push for the season to be declared void, a nightmare scenario for clubs like Liverpool and Leeds Utd, who both stand on the brink of long-awaited glory.

But as it stands, there seems to be a determination to complete the season if at all possible.

Well the PL have always wanted to play games abroad.

All squads of 25 in the PL fly on chartered planes to Turkey where only 2 corona cases (or use a low case country)

Play 2/3 games or so in over 3 weeks. Season ends.

No fans travel. Turkish(or fans of where ever) fans get to see the games.

They're solutions.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2020, 02:10:03 pm »
This is just my opinion but I just think that this season will not be finished this season. I believe that the Euros will be postponed until 2021 but the biggest problem will be the fitness levels of the players after what will probably be an enforced break of 2 months at least.

I believe that the only way they can do this is to tag the end of this season onto the beginning of next season and maybe cut the league cup from next seasons programme to lessen the load on teams. That way, pre season can start in June to get players fit again and then finish this season at the beginning of July and start next season in August.

Anyway, this thing is bigger than football, stay safe people and look after your elderly relatives, friends and neighbours.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2020, 02:12:36 pm »
Well the PL have always wanted to play games abroad.

All squads of 25 in the PL fly on chartered planes to Turkey where only 2 corona cases (or use a low case country)

Play 2/3 games or so in over 3 weeks. Season ends.

No fans travel. Turkish(or fans of where ever) fans get to see the games.

They're solutions.

I don't for one minute think that there are only 2 cases in Turkey more like they are not telling people what is really going on. 

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2020, 02:13:22 pm »
This is just my opinion but I just think that this season will not be finished this season. I believe that the Euros will be postponed until 2021 but the biggest problem will be the fitness levels of the players after what will probably be an enforced break of 2 months at least.

I believe that the only way they can do this is to tag the end of this season onto the beginning of next season and maybe cut the league cup from next seasons programme to lessen the load on teams. That way, pre season can start in June to get players fit again and then finish this season at the beginning of July and start next season in August.

Anyway, this thing is bigger than football, stay safe people and look after your elderly relatives, friends and neighbours.

They could easily say here is the date of the first game back from suspension - isolate your players and have a mini-preseason. It's not as hard as you make out.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2020, 02:13:43 pm »
The players will still be training during the suspension. They’ll be ready straight away.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2020, 02:15:47 pm »
I don't for one minute think that there are only 2 cases in Turkey more like they are not telling people what is really going on. 

Barbados has none.. play the games there.

Point is they're solutions. Football is a job at the end of the day.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2020, 02:20:14 pm »
Neil Lennon with fighting talk about how they can't take away the title from Celtic after playing 30 games in a season. Talking about Liverpool and the title too.

I was full of paranoia last night but the more i think about it, the more i realise how crazy it would be for the football authorities to do such a thing. There would be uproar from a lot of clubs losing out on a void season.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2020, 02:22:26 pm »
The players will still be training during the suspension. They’ll be ready straight away.

Realistically, another match will not be played until June sometime, its a bit much to say to players keep intensive training week in week out for 2 months and then start playing football again, have a couple of weeks break and then start pre season training for next season. Its not going to happen.

The FA, Premier league, UEFA, and FIFA have to make a realistic plan to complete this seasons competitions but they cant pussy around with any decisions. Decisions and plans need to be made now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2020, 02:23:41 pm »
None of our lads have contracted the virus so we're good for now. I think kloppo might give them a couple of weeks off anyway.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2020, 02:32:09 pm »
Bollocks why couldn’t they postpone the Champions League on a Monday of this week!!! Then we’d still be in it and Alisson would’ve been back!!!

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2020, 02:39:05 pm »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:40:48 pm by Agent99 »

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2020, 02:43:44 pm »
Players to follow individual training programmes away from Melwood.

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2020, 02:48:31 pm »
It's so weird I'm sitting watching Cheltenham wondering how it's got away with it but also impressed that they've forged ahead and clinging to the brave nature of sport .. I guess it's a wide open space.. But then again so is golf. I think we could see season ending in July.. Start the 20/21 league in mid September
walk on...walk on...

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2020, 02:50:04 pm »
Herr Klopp

I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.

Today’s decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

Please look after yourselves and look out for each other.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,
Jürgen