Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 277999 times)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! beer it's all about cider  ;)

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

A pint of cider with a few inches of Guinness on top isn't bad, need at least SOME beer in there.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My brother in law, a chef who spent some time in Germany, told me some years ago about the German Purity Law. Apparently, the Germans take their beer very seriously, and don't take kindly to additives and preservatives.

Anyway, his theory was that if you drink beer with additives and so on, it isn't good for your body, your buzz or your condition the following morning. Having undertaken some careful study in the five or so years since then, I concur. So, some tips to better beer drinking.

Most draught lager you get in bars is piss. If you are in England, this counts double. Seriously, how do you people drink that shit?

I've subscribed to this theory for years and hardly ever get hangovers. When on a night out, I stick to Becks, Starpraomen and Czech Budweiser while avoiding the likes of Black Label and American Bud like the plague.
Justice for the 96!

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
Goose Island IPA, bugger to find but perfection in a (tulip) glass.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
That theory has got to be the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard. I get hangovers all the time. I live in Germany and drink nothing but German beer.
Just proves you're a lightweight.  ;)

I definitely get more of a hangover drinking crap like Stella than I ever have from drinking the likes of Aventinus.  Maybe it differs depending on your metabolism.

If it's all about the cider then why would you drink muck like Bulmers, my good man?  :-\

Get some Aspalls Cyder down yer!
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Hudson66

• The Kia Ora Man - too orangely for RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
I normally love a few bottles of Leffe or Duvel but tried these recently and was impressed a lot. Lovely tasting beer

It's Innis & Gunn, picked up a few bottles in my local Stresscos

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
I'm a huge fan of Tyskie and Zywiec, two fantastic beers from Poland....lived on the stuff whilst in Krakow!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan

Alright mate, could you kindly get the fuck out, please?

Ta.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I like beer.

Bookmarked  :wave

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
On a serious note this stuff is top quality lager.

Offline main-stand-molby

• Kopite
Little Creatures Pale Ale in Perth/Freo WA.

Probably the location rather than the beer in its own right, but used to love that stuff.

Offline Jersey

• Kopite
  • Belgian Red
If you want the best beer you should move to Belgium. At least that's one thing we're good at.
No retreat baby, no surrender

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Goose Island IPA, bugger to find but perfection in a (tulip) glass.

Goose Island is a fantastic brewery. Also home to the best brew school in the United States.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Pricey and a bit heavy to be havin' more than a couple, but fucking lovely as a treat.  :D

However, I reckon I actually prefer the cheaper...

David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline tdogssc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Bear Racer is really nice; had a couple over the past few weeks.
Also to mirror earlier post, Dogfish Head 90min is fantastic as well. Great to go with foods as well.

Anyone ever tried/heard of RJ Rockers here in the states?

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
Pricey and a bit heavy to be havin' more than a couple, but fucking lovely as a treat.  :D

However, I reckon I actually prefer the cheaper...

I like the brown ale too mate. However I really really really like stouts and porters. Really... ;)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Liverpool - home of real ale
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
I like Foster´s, is that wrong of me?
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Picked up a few of these at my local bottle shop, new thing in my area, they sell craft beers by the bottle with price breaks for 6 and 8 packs. Good stuff.

Offline PluckyUnderdog

• Kopite

Love this stuff, shame its so expensive. £7.50 a bottle at the Fly in the loaf  :o

Agree with Kitkatshuffler, the brown ale is a cheaper alternative, and is just as glorious  :D

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
Love this stuff, shame its so expensive. £7.50 a bottle at the Fly in the loaf  :o

Agree with Kitkatshuffler, the brown ale is a cheaper alternative, and is just as glorious  :D

The Brooklyn Summer Ale is nice, it's nice to live down the block from the brewery  :lickin

Offline paddys left peg

• Kemlynite
  • L.F.C Your the measure of my dreams
Dont know if this is the right thread, but looking to make the change from bud to guniness. Anybody any tips on how to make the transition any easier? Cheers!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
It's mind boggling trying to work out how many glasses I'd have to pocket to make that £7.50 palatable.  ;)

Of course there's always beerhere.co.uk at about £1.75 a bottle.  Problem is that I'd end up typing like Andy@Allerton if I trusted myself with ordering a crate of Black Chocolate Stout!  ;D

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
Dont know if this is the right thread, but looking to make the change from bud to guniness. Anybody any tips on how to make the transition any easier? Cheers!

Just keep reminding yourself that you've been drinking weak American piss for the last few years.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Stop drinking horse piss would be a good start.

Offline paddys left peg

• Kemlynite
  • L.F.C Your the measure of my dreams
Stop drinking horse piss would be a good start.

dully noted. Been drinking tiger beer lately but lager in general is fuckin my stomach up so have to start drinking the black stuff.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517

vile stuff, beer all the way

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
dully noted. Been drinking tiger beer lately but lager in general is fuckin my stomach up so have to start drinking the black stuff.
Have a drink of some of this to get yourself used to the fuller flavour...

Offline PluckyUnderdog

• Kopite

Ah, the unique barbecue-like taste of Rauchbier. Spot on  :P

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
I've taken a liking to Smuttynose IPA, corky. It's not bad at all.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
I've taken a liking to Smuttynose IPA, corky. It's not bad at all.

I was trying to remember what beer I'd had and failing. This it?

6.9 %. That explains some things.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah that's the one. The 100-tap bar I failed to bring you to has it on tap. It's quite good.

6.9 %. That explains some things.

::)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Ah, the unique barbecue-like taste of Rauchbier. Spot on  :P
Oh aye, there's some Rauchbier in that picture.  Sorry, I was talking about the bottle of pour homme at the back.    :P

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Bar I worked in over summer had it on draught. Lovely stuff!

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We've been taking lunch at Meadhall in Cambridge, MA next to MIT. They've 100 beers on tap.

Today I'm having a Belgian ale called La Chouffe from Brasserie Achouffe. It's quite smooth, golden coloured, bit of honey taste to it.

8% alcohol, corkboy ;)

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n

It is nice but I got hammered on that one night in town!
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

I might have to try this stuff again.  I had it in Wetherspoons a few months ago and thought it was the Italian Carling.  Utterly without character and flavourless.  :-X

Offline Rainy

• Main Stander
I might have to try this stuff again.  I had it in Wetherspoons a few months ago and thought it was the Italian Carling.  Utterly without character and flavourless.  :-X
Don't bother. You were about right the first time.

To reintroduce some British beer to the thread, I had a gorgeous pint of mild earlier. Ram Tam from Timmy Taylor. Look out for it!

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
We've been taking lunch at Meadhall in Cambridge, MA next to MIT. They've 100 beers on tap.

Today I'm having a Belgian ale called La Chouffe from Brasserie Achouffe. It's quite smooth, golden coloured, bit of honey taste to it.

8% alcohol, corkboy ;)

Easy drinking beer that, explains why i've probably drank too much over the years...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/