Author Topic: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar  (Read 55330 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar
« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2018, 12:43:33 am »
The Washington Post@washingtonpost
The CIA has concluded that the Saudi crown prince ordered Jamal Khashoggi's assassination, people familiar with the matter say
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/national-security/cia-concludes-saudi-crown-prince-ordered-jamal-khashoggis-assassination/2018/11/16/98c89fe6-e9b2-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: November 17, 2018, 12:55:34 am »
The CIA has concluded that the Saudi crown prince ordered Jamal Khashoggi's assassination, people familiar with the matter say
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/national-security/cia-concludes-saudi-crown-prince-ordered-jamal-khashoggis-assassination/2018/11/16/98c89fe6-e9b2-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html

If true, who's Trump going to believe? His own people or the Saudi public prosecutor who reports to MBS?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: November 17, 2018, 11:31:53 pm »

Jamal Khashoggi: US 'yet to conclude' who was behind the murder

The US is yet to reach a final conclusion on the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, officials say, despite reports the CIA believes it was ordered by the Saudi crown prince.

"Numerous unanswered questions" remain, a State Department statement said.

"Recent reports indicating that the US government has made a final conclusion [on the murder] are inaccurate," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.

She said the State Department would continue to seek the "relevant facts" and work towards making those involved in the killing accountable.

US President Donald Trump spoke to CIA Director Gina Haspel and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about the CIA's assessment of the Khashoggi murder, the White House said.

Press secretary Sarah Sanders gave no details but said Mr Trump had confidence in the CIA.

Earlier, the US president again stressed Saudi Arabia was a "great ally" and that he had to "take a lot of things into consideration".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46250301

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: November 18, 2018, 11:36:25 pm »
Jamal Khashoggi: Trump won't listen to 'terrible' murder recording

US President Donald Trump says he has been briefed on a recording of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's murder - but will not listen to it himself.

"It's a suffering tape, it's a terrible tape," he told Fox News Sunday.

The CIA has reportedly concluded the powerful Saudi Crown Prince ordered the killing but the White House is yet to endorse that assessment.

Why won't he listen to the tape?

The US president said he did not have to, given he had been fully briefed on its content.

"I know everything that went on in the tape without having to hear it," he told Fox. "It was very violent, very vicious and terrible."

The reportedly shocking and incriminating recordings were shared by Turkey with the US and other western allies.

In his interview, President Trump said that Mohammed bin Salman had told him he had no knowledge of the killing.

Mr Trump added that it may be no one will find out who was behind the killing, and pointed to US sanctions imposed on individuals allegedly involved.

"But at the same time we do have an ally and I want to stick with an ally that in many ways has been very good," he added.

President Trump has spoken to the CIA on its findings. His Fox interview was recorded before news of the CIA's findings emerged and he said his administration's verdict was imminent.

"We'll be having a very full report over the next two days, probably Monday or Tuesday," he told reporters.

An ally of Mr Trump, Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, said he did not believe the Crown Prince's denials.

"If he is going to be the face of Saudi Arabia going forward, I think the kingdom will have a hard time on the world stage," he told NBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46254571

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #284 on: November 19, 2018, 12:11:22 am »
Whenever I see this thread, it reads to me "Saudi Arabia has severed heads".
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2018, 07:34:42 pm »
I think they may change the prince as a punishment for not taking care of things silently but not charge him. Maybe one or 2 consulate employees who were off that day would get charged with murder.

I wonder how many killings like that Saudi Arabia has executed in own embassies. I remember a French Saudi exile has said 20-25 Saudis who were against this regime has vaporized and gone in the last few years. You can tell this wasn't their first, jusging from that 15 men hitman team they have.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2018, 06:58:05 pm »
Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia

Representatives of Saudi Arabia say that Jamal Khashoggi was an “enemy of the state” and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, but my decision is in no way based on that – this is an unacceptable and horrible crime. King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2018, 07:08:24 pm »
Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

Well did he or didn't he?

Sitting on that fence must be painful.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2018, 07:10:43 pm »
Well he most definitely wrote that statement.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:51:19 pm by ShakaHislop »

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2018, 05:39:52 pm »
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2018/11/saudi-arabia-reports-of-torture-and-sexual-harassment-of-detained-activists/

Saudi Arabia: Reports of torture and sexual harassment of detained activists

Several Saudi Arabian activists, including a number of women, who have been arbitrarily detained without charge since May 2018 in Saudi Arabia’s Dhahban Prison, have reportedly faced sexual harassment, torture and other forms of ill-treatment during interrogation, Amnesty International said today.

According to three separate testimonies obtained by the organization, the activists were repeatedly tortured by electrocution and flogging, leaving some unable to walk or stand properly. In one reported instance, one of the activists was made to hang from the ceiling, and according to another testimony, one of the detained women was reportedly subjected to sexual harassment, by interrogators wearing face masks.

“Only a few weeks after the ruthless killing of Jamal Khashoggi, these shocking reports of torture, sexual harassment and other forms of ill-treatment, if verified, expose further outrageous human rights violations by the Saudi authorities” said Lynn Maalouf, Amnesty International’s Middle East research director.

“Saudi authorities are directly responsible for the wellbeing of these women and men in detention. Not only have they been deprived them of their liberty for months now, simply for peacefully expressing their views, they are also subjecting them to horrendous physical suffering”.

According to the testimonies obtained, the human rights defenders were unable to walk or stand properly, had uncontrolled shaking of the hands, and marks on the body. One of the activists reportedly attempted to take her own life repeatedly inside the prison.

Prison authorities in Dhahban Prison have also reportedly warned detained activists against disclosing any accounts of torture or prison procedures to family members.

“The Saudi authorities must immediately and unconditionally release detained human rights defenders who are being held solely for their peaceful human rights work and launch a prompt, thorough and effective investigation into the reports of torture and other ill-treatment with the view of holding those responsible to account,” said Lynn Maalouf.

Torture and other ill-treatment in Saudi Arabian prisons and detention centers have been routinely and widely reported in past years, in violation of its obligations under international law including the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.

Many detainees have reported during trials that torture was used to extract “confessions” from them, to punish them for refusing to “repent” or to force them to promise not to criticize the government. Such “confessions” have furthermore routinely formed the basis for harsh sentences, including the death penalty, without the judiciary taking any steps to duly investigate these claims.

Several activists who were arbitrarily detained in the May crackdown, including the women human rights defenders, remain in detention without charge and with no legal representation. They were detained incommunicado and in solitary confinement for the first three months of their detention.

Those detained in Dhahban Prison include Loujain al-Hathloul, Iman al-Nafjan, Aziza al-Yousef, Samar Badawi, Nassima al-Sada, Mohammad al-Rabe’a and Dr Ibrahim al-Modeimigh.

Several other activists were detained in the ensuing months and remain in detention without charge. These include women’s rights activists Nouf Abdulaziz and Maya’a al-Zahran, as well as activists who had already been persecuted for their human rights work in the past, such as Mohammed al-Bajadi and Khalid al-Omeir, as well as Hatoon al-Fassi, a prominent women’s rights activist and academic, was also reportedly detained shortly after the lifting of the driving ban. Last week, Hatoon al-Fassi recieved the Middle East Studies Association Academic Freedom Award, which was awarded in her absence at the association’s annual meeting.

“The international community must take substantive measures to put pressure on Saudi Arabia to immediately and unconditionally release all those jailed for peacefully exercising their human rights,” said Lynn Maalouf.

Activists report that many others, including other women’s rights activists, have also been detained since the crackdown in May; however, the escalated crackdown on dissenting voices has had a chilling effect on freedom of expression in the country, intensifying an already existing environment of fear for people to report on arrests and other violations.

Edit: The issue with most Arab country news items is of course verification due to their 'leaders' having wiped out the independent press. For example, Saudi Arabia has about 4 papers that are considered major, one or two news web sites that get a lot of traffic and all of them these days are merely run by the government through proxy / try to beat each other in sucking the government off, that's a pattern you'll see in most of these countries. How the Khashoggi killing and subsequent developments were covered was a case in point, if you kept up with it through there.

So verification has to come through less sturdy methods, for what it's worth this looks solid through the independent Arab sources I keep up with, and I don't keep up with these things much these days. Amnesty of course have their own reputation to uphold. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:48:57 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2018, 10:52:57 pm »
Khashoggi murder: Calls to remove Saudi crown prince 'a red line'

Calls to remove Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman are a "red line", the Saudi foreign minister has told the BBC, amid a global outcry over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Adel al-Jubeir said the prince had not been involved in the 2 October killing in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

What did the Saudi foreign minister say?

Speaking to the BBC's chief international correspondent Lyse Doucet in Riyadh, Mr al-Jubeir said: "In Saudi Arabia our leadership is a red line. The custodian of the two holy mosques [King Salman] and the Crown Prince (Mohammed bin Salman) are a red line.

"They represent every Saudi citizen and every Saudi citizen represents them. And we will not tolerate any discussion of anything that is disparaging towards our monarch or our crown prince."

Mr al-Jubeir reiterated that the crown prince had not been involved in the murder.

"We have made that very clear. We have investigations ongoing and we will punish the individuals who are responsible for this," he said.

It has been widely reported in the US media that the CIA believes the grisly killing could only have happened on the crown prince's order.

But Mr al-Jubeir disputed those reports, saying the killing was a "rogue operation" by intelligence agents.

And the Saudi minister again urged Turkey to provide all the evidence about the killing and stop leaking information.

He also said any potential US sanctions against Saudi Arabia would be short-sighted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46295142

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2018, 11:22:43 pm »
Khashoggi murder: Calls to remove Saudi crown prince 'a red line'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46295142

Ah yes, self-righteous indignation is all that was left to do in this mess.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: November 23, 2018, 11:21:02 am »
Khashoggi killing: CIA did not blame Saudi crown prince, says Trump

US President Donald Trump has said the CIA did not conclude that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Khashoggi was killed on 2 October in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

US officials have reportedly said that such an operation would have needed the prince's approval. But Saudi Arabia maintains it was a "rogue operation".

"They didn't conclude," Mr Trump said when asked about the CIA's reported evaluation by reporters in Florida.

His comments on Thursday came as the Saudi crown prince began a regional tour of the Middle East, starting with the United Arab Emirates - his first official trip abroad since Khashoggi was killed.

The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Mohammed bin Zayed, tweeted to say the UAE "will always be a loving and supportive home for our brothers in Saudi Arabia".

The Saudi crown prince is also expected to participate in a G20 meeting of world leaders in Buenos Aires at the end of the month that will be attended by leaders from the US, Turkey and a number of European countries.

Meanwhile, France has announced that it is imposing sanctions on 18 Saudi nationals - the same individuals targeted with sanctions by the US, UK and Germany - allegedly linked to the Khashoggi murder.

Their list of individuals does not include the crown prince, a spokesperson for the French ministry of foreign affairs said.

What has Trump said about the CIA report?

"They have feelings certain ways. I have the report, they have not concluded, I don't know if anyone's going to be able to conclude the crown prince did it," Mr Trump told reporters in Florida.

"But whether he did or whether he didn't, he denies it vehemently. His father denies it, the king, vehemently," he added.

On 17 November, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters that Mr Trump had confidence in the CIA following conversations with Director Gina Haspel and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about the Khashoggi murder.

Sources quoted in the US media at the time stressed that there was no single piece of evidence linking the crown prince directly to the murder, but officials believe the killing would have required his endorsement.

Separately, the Hurriyet newspaper reported on Thursday that Ms Haspel told Turkish officials last month that the CIA had a recording in which the crown prince gave instructions to "silence" the Saudi writer as soon as possible.

When asked about the claims by reporters, Mr Trump said: "I don't want to talk about it. You'll have to ask them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46309654

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: November 24, 2018, 11:01:54 pm »
One of the interesting side effects if this latest atrocity is that people are connecting the Saudi 911 dots a bit more.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: November 24, 2018, 11:23:24 pm »
One of the interesting side effects if this latest atrocity is that people are connecting the Saudi 911 dots a bit more.

Well they did help him regain the title of having the bigliest building in Manhattan.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/911-memorial-trump-2001-video-world-trade-center-manhattan-new-york-a8532891.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2018, 05:30:11 pm »
Seth Abramson (@SethAbramson)

2018-11-26, 12:53 AM
1 of the 4 men who runs the assassination scheme responsible for Khashoggi's murder met a Trump envoy in the Seychelles in early 2017. Another met with Trump's son in mid-2016. Another texts Jared regularly. Another has met the Trumps in the WH repeatedly.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:10 pm »
Big development re: U.S. involvement in the Saudi-Yemen war

Following a contentious administration briefing about the war in Yemen and the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the Senate on Wednesday voted to advance a measure that would tie President Donald Trump’s hands over how he deals with Saudi Arabia.

The procedural measure passed 63-37, a strong rebuke to the president's authority and a reversal for the Senate, which rejected the same measure just nine months ago when only 44 senators supported it.

The position of many senators changed after the president dismissed the intelligence community’s assessment that Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman most likely ordered Khashoggi's murder. The worsening humanitarian crisis in Yemen is also playing a role in senators' frustration with the ongoing war there in which the U.S. is supplying Saudi Arabia with weapons and support to fight the Houthi rebels.

The measure, pushed forward by Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Chris Murphy, D-Conn., would invoke the War Powers Resolution, inserting Congressional oversight into overseas conflicts. It would end U.S. involvement and military assistance to the war in Yemen where more than 85,000 children have died because of a war-induced famine in the country and millions are on the brink of starvation. UNICEF has declared it the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.

More here: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/after-inadequate-briefing-saudi-arabia-senate-advances-bill-end-u-n941386

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #298 on: November 28, 2018, 11:02:36 pm »
Big development re: U.S. involvement in the Saudi-Yemen war

You know what, it's a fucking start fair play to them.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #299 on: December 1, 2018, 11:37:53 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/01/jamal-khashoggi-way-washington-city-may-rename-saudi-embassy-street

Small gesture, but the House of Scumbaggery and it's inbred pieces of shit 'princes' aren't used to the US being anything but fawning
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: December 1, 2018, 10:57:46 pm »
Khashoggi murder: Erdogan demands Saudis extradite suspects

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has demanded that Saudi Arabia extradite the suspects in writer Jamal Khashoggi's murder.

Speaking after the G20 in Argentina, he said Khashoggi had not featured in the talks and only Canada's Justin Trudeau had brought the subject up.

Saudi Arabia has charged 11 people with the murder, but there is no suggestion it is ready to send them to Turkey.

He accused the Saudi authorities of contradictions and lies, of changing their story and refusing to share information with the Turkish investigation. He said Crown Prince Mohammed had given world leaders at the G20 summit an "unbelievable explanation" of the situation, by arguing that Saudi Arabia could not be blamed unless the crime was proven.

He added that the murder had been a test for the whole world, but insisted he did not want to damage the Saudi royal family.

He said solving the killing would be in the Saudi royal family's interests.

The Turkish president said Turkey had evidence that Khashoggi had been killed over the course of seven and a half minutes and had shared the evidence with those countries who had asked for it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46415224

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: December 4, 2018, 06:14:18 pm »
Senators come out of CIA briefing talking tough. No doubt that the Saudi Prince is a murderer.

Corker: if this was a court it would take 30 minutes to condemn the prince of murder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: December 4, 2018, 06:36:30 pm »

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: December 5, 2018, 12:02:58 am »
Washingon DC is trying to change the name of the street in front of the Saudi embassy to Khashoggi.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: December 5, 2018, 12:10:57 am »
Washingon DC is trying to change the name of the street in front of the Saudi embassy to Khashoggi.

Amnesty did that to the street of the London Saudi embassy. Not official though of course.

On a similar note, after the revolution the Iranians officially changed the name of the British embassy street in Tehran from Queen Elizabeth II street to Bobby Sands street.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: December 5, 2018, 12:25:03 am »
Amnesty did that to the street of the London Saudi embassy. Not official though of course.

On a similar note, after the revolution the Iranians officially changed the name of the British embassy street in Tehran from Queen Elizabeth II street to Bobby Sands street.

I hope that this happens around the world.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: December 5, 2018, 12:25:12 am »

Glasgow famously named the street the South African consulate was on to Nelson Mandela Place during apartheid when he was still in prison.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2018, 09:31:18 pm »
Khashoggi murder: Saudis refuse Turkey extradition request

Saudi Arabia's foreign minister has ruled out extraditing to Turkey suspects in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Adel al-Jubeir said: "We do not extradite our citizens."

Just over a week ago, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan demanded the extradition and on Wednesday a Turkish court issued arrest warrants.

Saudi Arabia has charged 11 people with the murder, which took place in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in October.

Arrest warrants were issued in Turkey for former Saudi intelligence chief Ahmad al-Assiri and former royal adviser Saud al-Qahtani.

Mr al-Jubeir criticised the way Turkey has shared information with the kingdom.

"The Turkish authorities have not been as forthcoming as we believe they should have been," he said, quoted by AFP news agency.

"We have asked our friends in Turkey to provide us with evidence that we can use in a court of law. We have not received it in the manner that it should have been received."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46501472

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2018, 10:43:06 pm »
Canada now trying to back out of Saudi Arms deal. This is a bit of proof that this story is not going away anytime soon. The Canadian government does not want to do this, but are being forced to by public opinion.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: December 19, 2018, 05:10:44 pm »

Two announcements by Triumph the Insult President in the same day that help Turkey...I wonder why?

1. Selling Patriot missiles to the Turkshttps://thedefensepost.com/2018/12/19/us-approves-patriot-turkey-sale/

2. Withdrawing US troops from norther Syria (protecting the Kurds)
https://www.voanews.com/a/turkish-us-tensions-deepen-over-syrian-kurds/4705969.html

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: December 19, 2018, 09:08:36 pm »
Two announcements by Triumph the Insult President in the same day that help Turkey...I wonder why?

1. Selling Patriot missiles to the Turkshttps://thedefensepost.com/2018/12/19/us-approves-patriot-turkey-sale/

2. Withdrawing US troops from norther Syria (protecting the Kurds)
https://www.voanews.com/a/turkish-us-tensions-deepen-over-syrian-kurds/4705969.html

And in the process potentially creating the next Taliban.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: December 19, 2018, 09:15:32 pm »
And in the process potentially creating the next Taliban.

And he didn't tell anybody suposedly...even republicans are pissed.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: January 2, 2019, 10:16:11 pm »
Netflix removes Hasan Minhaj comedy episode after Saudi demand

Netflix has removed from its streaming service in Saudi Arabia an episode of a comedy show critical of the kingdom.

The second episode of Patriot Act With Hasan Minhaj was removed following a legal demand, which reportedly said it violated a Saudi anti-cybercrime law.

It features Minhaj mocking the actions of Saudi officials following the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi and condemning the crown prince's policies.

Netflix said it backed artistic freedom but had to "comply with local law".

Despite the move, people in Saudi Arabia can still watch the episode on the show's YouTube channel.

What did Hasan Minhaj say?

"Just a few months ago, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, also known as 'MBS', was hailed as the reformer the Arab World needed. But the revelations about Khashoggi's killing have shattered that image," said Minhaj in the episode of Patriot Act removed by Netflix.
Media captionJamal Khashoggi: What we know about the journalist's disappearance and death

Since being named second-in-line to the throne in June 2017, Prince Mohammed has introduced a raft of headline-grabbing reforms, such as lifting the ban on women being allowed to drive and seeking to shift its economy away from oil.

But, he has also been criticised for escalating a crackdown on dissenting voices, among them a number of women's rights activists, pursuing a war in neighbouring Yemen that has caused a humanitarian catastrophe, and starting a diplomatic dispute with Qatar that has divided the Gulf Co-operation Council.

At the end of the episode, Minhaj said: "I am genuinely rooting for change in Saudi Arabia. I am rooting for the people of Saudi Arabia. There are people in Saudi Arabia fighting for true reform, but MBS is not one of them."

"And to those who continue to work with him, just know that with every deal you close you are simply helping entrench an absolute monarch under the guise of progress, because ultimately MBS is not modernising Saudi Arabia. The only thing he is modernising is Saudi dictatorship."

Why did Netflix remove the episode?

The streaming service said in a statement: "We strongly support artistic freedom worldwide and only removed this episode in Saudi Arabia after we had received a valid legal demand - and to comply with local law".

The Financial Times reported that Saudi Arabia's Communications and Information Technology Commission had warned Netflix that the episode violated the kingdom's anti-cybercrime law.

Article 6 of the law prohibits the "production, preparation, transmission or storage of material impinging on public order, religious values, public morals and privacy" on the internet.

Khashoggi's editor at The Washington Post, Karen Attiah, tweeted that Netflix's decision was "quite outrageous".

Human Rights Watch's Middle East director, Sarah Leah Whitson, said the streaming service's claim to support artistic freedom "means nothing if it bows to demands of government officials who believe in no freedom for their citizens".

Reporters Without Borders, a press freedom watchdog, ranked Saudi Arabia 169th out of 180 countries for press freedom in a list published in October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46732786

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 3, 2019, 09:18:01 am »
A Twitter thread from Kirk Ruddell, producer of American Dad and Will & Grace amongst other things...

https://twitter.com/krudell/status/1080591286959132672

A couple years ago, when I was writing for American Dad!, I needed an Arabic speaker for a small part. Our casting director recommended a Saudi comedian, who happened to be in LA for a couple months shooting a tv show. His name is Fahad Albutairi.

I looked him up. He was the first Saudi stand-up comedian to appear on stage professionally in the Kingdom, the “Jerry Seinfeld of Saudi Arabia.” He had a couple million Twitter followers. (He has none now; I’ll get to that.) He was, frankly, more interesting than the part.

The day of the recording, I walked to the booth to meet Fahad and direct his session – it was just a couple lines; I’d say hi, run it a few times, and we’d both be on our way.

Fahad was standing with a woman, who he introduced as his wife, @LoujainHathloul.

Loujain didn’t know anyone in LA, so she was tagging along with Fahad for the day. They were young, cool, cosmopolitan, and incredibly nice. I liked them right away. We chatted.

I asked Fahad about being a Saudi comedian – about doing something that didn’t exist before in his country. I had recently had breakfast with Trevor Noah to talk about a project, and it seemed like he was coming from a similar place...

...growing up without hearing other stand-ups and being unfamiliar with the standard rhythms. So Trevor had to create his own. Fahad was fascinated. Yes, he had had a similar experience. But his voice was also shaped by the fact that comedy in the Kingdom was...dangerous.

I mentioned the young, “progressive” Prince Mohammed bin Salman. All the press in the US seemed pretty positive about the guy.  He was meeting people in Hollywood and Silicon Valley. Were they feeling optimistic about the future of Saudi Arabia?

They were hopeful but warned there was still a long way to go on human rights. Which is why they’d moved to the UAE.

“Huh. At least you’re safe,” I said. With millions of fans, he was too high profile to mess with. I looked at Loujain. “And his fame covers both of you, right?”

They looked at each other. “She’s much more famous than me in the Middle East,” he said. And then I realized who she was... one of the women’s rights activists who had been arrested for driving.

I felt like an idiot. I had assumed she was the sidekick when she had already, by her mid-20s, done more for human rights than I ever will.

We talked about her arrests. The toll it had taken when, just after their wedding, she had been picked up again and “disappeared” for a few days. They felt somewhat protected by their fame, but still... the Kingdom wasn’t safe.

They were a window into a world I only knew through small articles in the Times, and I could’ve talked to them all afternoon, but we had to do the record and get on with our days.

We exchanged info. We made plans to have dinner while they were in town.

We didn’t. Work/life/family. But we chatted occasionally over the next couple years. Loujain was trying to launch a talent agency for actors, comedians, and musicians in the Middle East; I gave her feedback on her website.

Fahad and I sent each other links to work we were doing...trying to make the gulf between our worlds a little bit smaller.

In 2017 I read that Loujain was arrested and reached out to Fahad to see if she was okay. He answered that she was already being released. It was scary but fine.

And then, last spring, they were both grabbed, blindfolded, and taken to Saudi Arabia.

While Jared Kushner’s buddy MbS was planning to murder Khashoggi, he was also imprisoning many others, including Fahad and Loujain.

They were just young, creative people, trying to make stuff.

Nine months later, Loujain is still in jail. I don’t know where Fahad is. He deactivated his Twitter.

I read that they are no longer married.

I’d like to see what they could do in this world, if they were given the chance.

I’d like the government of my country  to not take payoffs to look the other way at human rights atrocities.

I’d like to have that dinner with them some day.

As the Democrats take control of the House, I’d like my fantastic  @RepAdamSchiff to have Fahad and Loujain in his thoughts.

Maybe @Trevornoah can give them some of his attention, too – I know they admired him.

Apparently Loujain’s father’s Twitter was suspended last week after he tweeted about the torture she has suffered in a Saudi government prison. The story below is awful – any comment from @jack or @TwitterSupport?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2019, 01:58:49 pm »
Saudi Arabia is becoming a very modern society

"Saudi women to get divorce confirmation by text message"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46770612
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: February 26, 2019, 07:59:04 pm »
US 'won't intervene' in Saudi hit-and-run murder case

A Saudi Arabian man accused of murder in the US is unlikely to face justice because he has fled the country, a US Statement department official said.

Abdulrahman Sameer Noorah is believed to have fled the US state of Oregon with the help of Saudi officials and returned to his home country.

In a condolence letter to Oregon Senator Ron Wyden, a senior US diplomat wrote that extradition was unlikely.

The letter does not mention what effort the US will go to to seek extradition.

"The United States and Saudi Arabia do not have a bilateral extradition treaty, and Saudi Arabia does not extradite its nationals to the United States," wrote Mary Elizabeth Taylor, the State Department's assistant secretary of legislative affairs, in a letter provided by Senator Wyden's office to BBC News.

"Therefore, the law enforcement options available are limited."

The letter included condolences to the family of 15-year-old Fallon Smart - who Mr Noorah is accused of killing in a hit-and-run crash in 2016, and added - and said the State Department "fully understands their desire to see Mr Noorah prosecuted".

Ms Taylor said that through "police-to-police" channels, officials had learned that Mr Noorah had returned to Saudi Arabia. But she wrote that US officials had "no concrete, credible evidence as to how Mr Noorah effected his escape".

The Oregonian newspaper reported at least 16 cases around the US and Canada in which Saudi university students vanished while facing criminal charges, even after surrendering their passports to police, as Mr Noorah did.

After Mr Noorah's arrest, the Saudi consulate provided $100,000 (£75,000) to bail him out of jail and provided him with private defense lawyers.

The then-21 year old had been receiving a stipend from the Saudi government to study in the US before the alleged crime, and was last seen leaving his Portland neighbourhood in a black SUV.

US federal authorities later told the Oregonian that he used an illicit passport to fly out of the US on a private plane.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47377888

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2019, 08:01:09 pm »
Does that mean he won't be involved in an Oregon Trial?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: May 16, 2019, 05:09:21 pm »
http://time.com/5590171/new-threats-saudi-arabia-jamal-khashoggi/

Spoiler

On April 25, two men from the Norwegian Police Security Service knocked on Iyad el-Baghdadi’s door in the capital, Oslo. The bearded, bespectacled activist is sometimes confused with his political opposite, the ISIS leader of the same name. (His Twitter page announces, Not that Baghdadi.) But the men at the door were there for a different kind of danger. The officers flashed their badges and got to the point: Baghdadi’s life, they told him, could be at risk. They urged him to come with them right away.

Followed by a second team watching for tails, Baghdadi was driven by the officers to a safe location with an electronically shielded room where the agents told the longtime democracy activist what was going on. In recent months, Baghdadi has continued the fight begun by Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist who was killed and dismembered on Oct. 2 by a hit team from Riyadh. Now the CIA had warned the Norwegians that Baghdadi was in danger, he and officials in Norway and the U.S. tell TIME. “Saudi Arabia wants to stop my work, even if they need to get physical to do it,” Baghdadi says.

He is not alone. In recent weeks, U.S. intelligence and law-enforcement officials have sent out similar warnings to Arab activists in Canada and the U.S., two people who received them and other sources familiar with the matter tell TIME. Dissidents based in Europe, the Middle East and North America are nervously exchanging warnings about hacking attempts—and worse. A troubling picture has emerged: eight months after Khashoggi’s death, the fight for political free speech he championed against the autocratic Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman rages on.

The fight is about more than just a group of exiled dissidents standing up against one Middle Eastern tyrant. Some experts in national security view the unfolding battle as part of a larger, defining war of our time: the contest for control of information. “What’s happening in Saudi Arabia today is seen by an increasing number of governments around the world as a road map for how the future will look,” says Bill Marczak of Citizen Lab, a cybersecurity and human-rights investigative project at the University of Toronto.

That helps explain why the Saudi threats have drawn the attention of international authorities. The U.N. official charged with investigating and reporting extrajudicial executions, Agnès Callamard, has called for urgent action to protect the safety of individuals she says are directly threatened by Riyadh. “I have sent appeals to two governments regarding information I had received of credible threats against individuals in their jurisdictions,” Callamard tells TIME, “asking them to take all necessary steps to protect them and their families.” Callamard says she wants “all governments” to be on the lookout for similar, unreported threats. In the U.S., House Intelligence Committee chairman Adam Schiff tells TIME his committee is investigating the latest Saudi threats and will “consider what actions the U.S. should take in response.”

The new threats illuminate Khashoggi’s extraordinary legacy. He started his dissident effort hesitantly, a review of text messages and other communications made available to TIME reveals. By the fall of 2018, when he traveled to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to make arrangements for his upcoming marriage, Khashoggi was discreetly but deeply involved in projects involving a loose network of pro-democracy and human-rights activists around the globe, including Baghdadi and others.

It was in Istanbul that the Saudi death squad lay in wait, but if Khashoggi’s horrific murder was intended to cow other activists, it had the opposite effect. “The attention that was given to Jamal’s case definitely reignited the hope for a lot of Arab dissidents to just be more active, in general,” said Mohamed Soltan, an Egyptian-American human-rights activist and a Khashoggi friend who spent nearly two years in a Cairo prison. “It gave people so much more courage to be more outspoken.”

The dissidents’ projects have endeavored to reclaim social media—especially Twitter, the most influential public forum in the Saudi political universe—as an open space for political dissent. Authoritarians like the crown prince fight back with electronic surveillance and domination of social media. Experts at detecting spyware infections in mobile phones report “a new wave of suspicious occurrences among Saudi activists that are not easily explained other than by the presence of hacking or surveillance,” says Marczak, who works with Saudi dissidents.

Authorities now worry that MBS, as the crown prince is known, is stepping up his counterattack, despite the U.S. having publicly judged him as almost certainly responsible for Khashoggi’s death. A similar warning to the one given Baghdadi was passed through the Canadian Security Intelligence Service to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police regarding the Saudi dissident Omar Abdulaziz, who worked with Khashoggi, three sources familiar with the episode tell TIME. Abdulaziz says he has been instructed not to discuss his situation, but that he recently began taking security precautions.

Baghdadi says he was warned his family was in danger as well. “It seems that I am physically safe in Norway but that I am vulnerable if I travel, says Baghdadi. “My family resides in Malaysia; they are refugees, my parents and sister. They said don’t go there. Don’t travel outside the E.U. And tell them to get out immediately.”

Khashoggi, for his part, saw it coming. “The message is clear,” he wrote in one of his final columns on the Saudi tyrant. “No independent voice or counter-opinion will be allowed.”

Few would have guessed, when Khashoggi arrived in Washington in June 2017, that the war would reach this point. Khashoggi didn’t fit the stereotype of a high-living Saudi expatriate. His only new blazer was from Men’s Wearhouse (he declined the deep discount for the second one that came with it). He lugged around a thermos for his strong, home-brewed coffee and waited a year to buy a car. He worked from his condo in a nondescript Virginia suburb he had taken a shine to a decade earlier when he was a spokesperson for the Saudi embassy.

Even in exile, Khashoggi remained an establishment figure. He had left Saudi Arabia abruptly, after a critical jab at the Riyadh government for its embrace of Donald Trump cost him his column at the pan-Arab newspaper Al-Hayat. But he was not in the business of defying the royal court. He told friends that his plan was to stick to the sidelines, writing policy stories about the region as a fellow at the Wilson Center in Washington. But the fellowship fell through after a visa complication, and there was no plan B. “Need a job,” Khashoggi messaged longtime friend Maggie Mitchell Salem, a former U.S. Foreign Service officer. “I might start writing.”

What followed, in the final 15 months of his life, were dramatic changes, both in the journalist and in the Saudi establishment he had carefully challenged but always served. The changes in attitude were recorded almost in real time in some 4,000 WhatsApp text messages shared with TIME by Salem, a friend of 15 years. The texts track Khashoggi’s initial reluctance to assume the role of dissenter; his growing determination to speak out on behalf of fellow Saudis; and a queasy knowledge of the growing risk to his family, if not to himself. “God have mercy on my kids, it’s a turning point for me,” he typed on Sept. 17, 2017, after the Post said it would run his first column.

Having navigated the House of Saud his entire career, Khashoggi began his self-imposed exile assuming that constructive criticism remained the best, if not only, way of coaxing change. At first, he obeyed the government’s order to stay off Twitter. Attacking MBS personally would brand him a dissident and outsider, rendering him less influential. “I don’t want to appear like I’m picking on him,” Khashoggi argued in one text. Later he added, “It’s a balancing act.”

It wasn’t easy. On Nov. 4, 2017, he was headed to the Kennedy Center to see The Book of Mormon when he heard the crown prince was rounding up senior government officials and princes. “Skipping play, have to write something,” he messaged hastily, “it’s a seismic event for Saudi.” But after composing a sharply critical column, he then tweeted apparent support for the crackdown. He conceded that MBS’s “justice is selective, but as a realest [sic] I accept it.”

The nuance was wasted on MBS. Beginning in March 2018, the crown prince would spend weeks touring the U.S. in a charm offensive meant to rebrand the desert kingdom as a startup worthy of Western investment. But to Saudis, he showed an iron fist, jailing scores of advocates and independent thinkers, including female activists who supported his most famous reform, allowing Saudi women to drive.

The kingdom policed Twitter with a particular zeal. The platform is the closest thing the kingdom has to a town square, and bin Salman was determined to control it as the state had long controlled newspapers and television. His government employed an army of trolls to shout down dissident voices. Long before his name surfaced in connection with Khashoggi’s death, on the receiving end of phone calls from his killers, the crown prince’s media enforcer, Saud al-Qahtani, issued public threats against Twitter dissenters: “Add every name you think should be added to #The_Black_List using the hashtag,” he tweeted. “We will filter them and track them starting now.”

Khashoggi had a Twitter following of 1.7 million, and by early 2018 he was increasingly critical of MBS. The combination triggered a torrent of retorts from what Khashoggi and others viewed as state-controlled troll farms. “I hate them for doing this,” he wrote to Salem, “but, it’s ok.” There came a point, however, when it was no longer O.K. “I’m losing hope,” he wrote in a June 26 message. “He’s getting uglier.” On Aug. 6 he confided to Salem that because of “Arab tyranny that’s spreading I’m willing to go [a] step beyond.”

By then, Khashoggi was working with both Abdulaziz and Baghdadi. The activists saw Khashoggi as a game changer. Abdulaziz, 28, had been a critic of the Saudi government since his college days in Montreal, where he took to YouTube and Twitter to weigh in on the Arab Spring. He says the Saudi government revoked his scholarship, and in 2014 Canada gave him political asylum. A McKinsey & Co. report judged his Twitter account one of the three most influential in forming opinion of a Saudi public policy.

That made him a target. His Twitter account, like Khashoggi’s, was attacked by the swarming trolls and bots that served to undermine both their message and their morale. Their solution was to create a swarm of their own: the Bees Army. “It is an army, a peaceful one in the social media to counter the Saudi trolls and the propaganda,” Abdulaziz says. The effort involved sending foreign SIM cards to Saudi dissidents to thwart tracking.

It was only one of the projects Khashoggi embraced in the spring and summer of 2018. Making the rounds of dissenting voices in the Arab world, the journalist managed to overcome his reputation as an establishment loyalist. He spent hours one on one, often over tea or a cigar, discussing how to win back the public square. Among those he met with in this period was Baghdadi.

Palestinian by birth, Baghdadi had become a major figure in the Arab Spring, finding asylum in Norway after being expelled from the UAE, a Saudi ally. With Khashoggi and a third person who has recently been warned of a Saudi threat, but who has asked to remain anonymous because of safety concerns, Baghdadi began work on an institute devoted to monitoring and exposing the abuse of social media, especially Twitter, by repressive Arab governments. The institute, the Kawaakibi Foundation, is named for a 19th century Arab free-speech advocate. Baghdadi also founded ArabTyrantManual.com, an investigative outlet.

Khashoggi brought gravitas to dissident circles. He also brought the promise of funds, through connections he had made over decades. “People trusted him,” says Soltan, the Egyptian human-rights advocate. “He could reach former VPs and Prime Ministers and current Foreign Ministers with a phone call,” Soltan says, and that “was huge.”

The growing network posed a problem for the Saudi regime, and it took steps to fight back, the dissidents say. On June 28, a notification popped up on a phone owned by Abdulaziz, purporting to alert him to a package delivery. The link embedded in the pop-up led to a domain that would insert spyware called Pegasus, a product of the Israeli company NSO Group, which sells surveillance software to governments, including the Saudis, according to Abdulaziz, a lawsuit he and others filed against NSO and an analysis by Citizen Lab.

Abdulaziz went public with this hacking news in August, warning his confederates that the Saudis might know what the dissidents were doing. “God help us,” Khashoggi replied, according to Abdulaziz. In the weeks after, however, Khashoggi continued work on the projects. He got a visa to visit Abdulaziz in Montreal and made plans to meet Baghdadi at a conference in New York. On Sept. 7, Khashoggi sent word that he could not make it. He would go to Istanbul instead. Citizen Lab published a report on the Abdulaziz hack on Oct. 1, the day before Khashoggi was killed.

Khashoggi’s murder backfired on the Saudis. In a matter of hours, MBS went from smiling reformer to pariah. Baghdadi and Abdulaziz recommitted to their work, becoming prominent backers of a boycott of the Saudi “Davos in the Desert” conference scheduled just days after Khashoggi’s murder. But activists everywhere were energized. “They came together after his death,” Abdulaziz says. The Saudi embassy did not return multiple calls requesting comment for this story.

Baghdadi took on new projects. He worked with investigators hired by Amazon billionaire Jeff Bezos, who owns the Washington Post, to uncover what they allege was the hacking of Bezos’ mobile phone by the Saudis, according to Bezos’ lead investigator, Gavin de Becker. “It’s not [just] that I was outspoken against MBS,” Baghdadi says.

But the fight for political free speech is as important as any battle in the larger war. “We are working on taking away his primary propaganda weapon,” Baghdadi says of MBS. The challenge, of course, is that the crown prince has other weapons too, and appears willing to use them. That was the judgment of the CIA, which has a “duty to warn” targets of violence when it comes across information indicating harm may come to them.

For Baghdadi’s part, the first warning came months earlier. He says it was in October that he heard from someone in the Saudi government, who wanted to pass on information he had learned in the palace. “He says, ‘Listen,’” Baghdadi recalls, “‘they’re preparing the list of people who are affecting MBS’s reputation in the global sphere, in the English-language media. And you’re near the top of the list.’”

[close]

Worth clicking on the link as there's a detailed video of the possible connection with  jeff bezos's blackmail attempt.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2019, 01:38:49 pm »
Khashoggi murder: UN says 'credible evidence' to investigate Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman

Khashoggi 'victim of a deliberate, premeditated execution, an extrajudicial killing for which the state Saudi Arabia is responsible'

By Borzou Daragah

A UN investigator found "credible evidence" that Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, an ally of the White House, was behind the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and urged sanctions against the kingdom's de facto ruler until he comes clean about his role in the killing of his fellow citizen.

The 101-page report assembled by human rights expert Agnes Callamard after a months-long probe commissioned by the UN High Commission for Human Rights concluded that Khashoggi "has been the victim of a deliberate, premeditated execution, an extrajudicial killing for which the state Saudi Arabia is responsible under international human rights law."

It includes new details about the final days and moments of Khashoggi's life, but does not reveal the still-unknown whereabouts of his body.

Ms Callamard urges a probe targeting Prince Mohammed, who is a key White House alley and a figure in the Trump administration's maximum pressure campaign against Iran.

"In view of the credible evidence into the responsibilities of the Crown Prince for his murder, such sanctions ought also to include the Crown Prince and his personal assets abroad, until and unless evidence is provided and corroborated that he carries no responsibilities for this execution," the report said.

“Evidence points to the 15-person mission to execute Mr Khashoggi requiring significant government coordination, resources and finances,” the report says. “While the Saudi government claims that these resources were put in place by Ahmed Asiri, every expert consulted finds it inconceivable that an operation of this scale could be implemented without the Crown Prince being aware, at a minimum, that some sort of mission of a criminal nature, directed at Mr Khashoggi, was being launched.”

Khashoggi was murdered just shy of his 60th birthday by a team of Saudi regime hitmen dispatched to Istanbul to kill him. The report includes details of recordings that captured his final moments in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, where he was lured and murdered on 2 October in a case that roiled relations between the oil-rich kingdom and the west and severely damaged the reputation of Prince Mohammed, who had spent millions attempting to package himself as a reformer.

"We are coming to get you," one of Khashoggi's murderers told him as they confronted him and strangled him.

The report summarises conversations and evidence Ms Callamard and her team collected over the last five months, also hinting some of her team's frustrations.

The Saudi regime has refused to cooperate with either Turkish or international investigators examining the death of Khashoggi, insisting that it try the suspects, who fled Turkey after murdering the Washington resident, chopping his body into pieces, and removing it to a still-unknown location. Ms Callamard's report says Saudi Arabia rejected a request to visit the country to pursue her probe.

Turkish intelligence services provided investigators with only 45 minutes of 7 hours of secretly recorded conversations they reportedly had on the matter, according to the report.

The report is filled with new details about the final days of Khashoggi's life. He and his fiancee tried desperately to avoid his trip to the consulate to obtain a document needed for them to marry, but were told by Turkish authorities it was impossible, the report says.

In the days and hours before Saudi officials including the consulate general in Istanbul and others in Riyadh planned on confronting Mr Khaoshoggi, they contacted a Saudi businessman who owned a property just outside Istanbul and discussed plans that suggested they were intent on killing him.

Will it  “be possible to put the trunk in a bag?”  asked Maher Mutreb, a high-ranking security official and confidante of Prince Salman, is heard asking. 

“No. Too heavy,” said Salah Tubaigy, the forensic pathologist that was on the 15-man kill team. It will “be easy," he said. "Joints will be separated. It is not a problem. The body is heavy. First time I cut on the ground. If we take plastic bags and cut it into pieces, it will be finished. We will wrap each of them.”

Has the “the sacrificial animal” arrived?" Mr Mutreb asked

“He has arrived," a voice replied.

Khashoggi, who had left Saudi Arabia in 2017 and  was invited into the office of the consulate general, where he was asked whether and when he would like to return to his country some day.

But the conversation quickly turned hostile. “We will have to take you back," Khashoggi was told. "There is an order from Interpol. Interpol requested you to be sent back. We are coming to get you.”

Khashoggi refused, insisting that there were people outside waiting for him.

“Send a message to your son,” Mr Mutreb orders: “You will type a message – let’s rehearse; show us.”

He refused.

“Type it, Mr. Jamal.  Hurry up. Help us so that we can help you because at the end we will take you back to Saudi Arabia and if you don’t help us you know what will happen at the end; let this issue find a good end.”

A struggle could be heard. Turkish authorities believe he was injected with drugs and then strangled.

“Did he sleep?” someone asked.

“He raises his head.”

“Keep pushing.”

"Push here; don’t remove your hand; push it.”

According to the report, Mr Khashoggi entered the consulate at 13:15. At 13:37, the sound of a saw could be heard.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/khashoggi-murder-un-bin-salman-investigation-mbs-saudi-arabia-turkey-a8964991.html

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: June 19, 2019, 01:40:40 pm »
Khashoggi murder: UN says 'credible evidence' to investigate Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman

Goodluck with that.
SoS Membership Number: 387