Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 371372 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: what new tv should i get?
« Reply #4760 on: June 29, 2016, 11:16:51 am »
my last one was a 40" panasonic neo-plasma tv. 

it had burn through - just like the old plasma - and died less than 12 months after the five year guarantee ended and just before we could watch the game of thrones finale. 

i have been told by various mates LED is the way forward and that they all like samsung.

is this correct?  does RAWK have a tech expert that can give me a steer and can a TV ever be too big?
I'd say it depends on a wide range of things. Do you have a budget in mind? Wall hanging or on a stand? Do you have access to any 4K content or are you even arsed about it? Are there any space restrictions?

If you can afford it the go OLED, curved are just a fad and add nothing to the viewing experience but if you're not paying a premium then it does look a bit fancy pants.

So summit like this....

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/55eg920v/lg-55eg920v

But if size is more important then maybe this...

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue65ku6000/sams-ue65ku6000

I've personally just bought the latter.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #4761 on: June 29, 2016, 11:54:41 am »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=90511.0  :thumbup

oh, and no it definitely can't be too big IMO. I've had a 59" for about 4 years and I'd go bigger for my next one without a second thought.

do all women hate big TVs or is it just my wife?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #4762 on: June 29, 2016, 11:55:34 am »
I'd say it depends on a wide range of things. Do you have a budget in mind? Wall hanging or on a stand? Do you have access to any 4K content or are you even arsed about it? Are there any space restrictions?

If you can afford it the go OLED, curved are just a fad and add nothing to the viewing experience but if you're not paying a premium then it does look a bit fancy pants.

So summit like this....

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/55eg920v/lg-55eg920v

But if size is more important then maybe this...

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue65ku6000/sams-ue65ku6000

I've personally just bought the latter.

don't want to spend more than £400.  want LED.  would like up to 48" screen.  don't need any smart tv bollocks but would like to run apple TV.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #4763 on: June 29, 2016, 11:57:46 am »

I would say, most women I have come across share sentiments with your missus.

Although my wife bought me a 42" tv a few years back so I could watch the WC...
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4764 on: June 29, 2016, 11:58:06 am »

I get nothing but positive comments about the size of my TV.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #4765 on: June 29, 2016, 12:01:27 pm »
I get nothing but positive comments about the size of my TV.

That's because they know you are overcompensating for other.....
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4766 on: June 29, 2016, 12:01:47 pm »
don't want to spend more than £400.  want LED.  would like up to 48" screen.  don't need any smart tv bollocks but would like to run apple TV.
Slightly over buddy @ £450

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue48j6300/sams-ue48j6300

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/best-tvs
"Samsung's UE48J6300 is currently our 2015 TV Product of the Year, so it goes without saying that this is a great set to look at and live with.
It produces a beautifully balanced, clean-cut picture, which explodes with detail and rich, punchy colour. The Samsung is remarkable with both HD and standard definition and even 3D is an enjoyable, engaging watch."

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #4767 on: June 29, 2016, 12:06:07 pm »
Some boss tv's out there now.
Personally I'd steer clear of LG.
Always thought Panasonic was the top dog quality wise.
Go for a Samsung if you want one that will be reliable,good quality too.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4768 on: June 29, 2016, 12:09:07 pm »
I would say, most women I have come across share sentiments with your missus.

Mine certainly does. Not getting much encouragement from her regarding getting a bigger TV

I'm seriously due an upgrade (TV not Missus :)). Had a 35' Panny Viera for about 10 or 12 years now and got to say it has been a loyal servant and just about big enough, but its now time for something that's 4K ready with a built in media server.

My Panny is a 35' but i reckon there is at least a 1 inch border.  So that gives me scope for a 37' telly (without any borders) without taking up any more of HER valuable space.  I may be able to get a few more inches out of her and go for a 40' job.

Telly buying is as much fun as picking your next holiday destination, new car or deciding between a PS4 or an Xbox One. :)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4769 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:29 pm »
That's because they know you are overcompensating for other.....

Well of course there is that  ;D

Seriously though, once they've watched some of their favourite shite on a massive screen they're sold on it.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4770 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:31 pm »
Mine certainly does. Not getting much encouragement from her regarding getting a bigger TV

I'm seriously due an upgrade (TV not Missus :)). Had a 35' Panny Viera for about 10 or 12 years now and got to say it has been a loyal servant and just about big enough, but its now time for something that's 4K ready with a built in media server.

My Panny is a 35' but i reckon there is at least a 1 inch border.  So that gives me scope for a 37' telly (without any borders) without taking up any more of HER valuable space.  I may be able to get a few more inches out of her and go for a 40' job.

Telly buying is as much fun as picking your next holiday destination, new car or deciding between a PS4 or an Xbox One. :)
http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40ju6000/sams-ue40ju6000

SAMSUNG UE40JU6000 - 40 inch 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV Freeview HD

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4771 on: June 29, 2016, 12:20:57 pm »
Some boss tv's out there now.
Personally I'd steer clear of LG.
Always thought Panasonic was the top dog quality wise.
Go for a Samsung if you want one that will be reliable,good quality too.

Yep, my Samsung has served me well and is still going strong.  Had another make before that and it just packed up after a couple of years.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Television buying
« Reply #4772 on: July 9, 2016, 07:16:21 pm »
Went looking today and still none the wiser. Got ~£700 to spend but just couldn't make a decision. Got a Samsung at the moment and it's given up the ghost after three years. Watching sport on it is horrible. Picture blurred.

Liked the look of the curved screens. Granted they do nothing for you but look nice. LG looked great but they were £2k!

Am after minimum 46 inch. 4K ideally. Smart TV functionality. Any recommendations?

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4773 on: July 10, 2016, 07:11:03 pm »
Went looking today and still none the wiser. Got ~£700 to spend but just couldn't make a decision. Got a Samsung at the moment and it's given up the ghost after three years. Watching sport on it is horrible. Picture blurred.

Liked the look of the curved screens. Granted they do nothing for you but look nice. LG looked great but they were £2k!

Am after minimum 46 inch. 4K ideally. Smart TV functionality. Any recommendations?

I just bought one of these a week ago mate.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/uhd-tvs/UE48JU6400KXXU

Love it. Got it for £430 as they'd lost the remote.

Got it wired up to my PC at the moment and 4K games at 60 FPS is very impressive.

Little 4k content about but have just upgraded my Netflix account.  Smat Hub works very well, and it hooks up to my WD cloud no problem.

Happy with it.

I'm after getting a new large TV for my living room soon so need to start having a proper lookm around and do some investigation. Love the OLED stuff I've seen though.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4774 on: July 10, 2016, 10:17:40 pm »
I just bought one of these a week ago mate.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/uhd-tvs/UE48JU6400KXXU

Love it. Got it for £430 as they'd lost the remote.

Got it wired up to my PC at the moment and 4K games at 60 FPS is very impressive.

Little 4k content about but have just upgraded my Netflix account.  Smat Hub works very well, and it hooks up to my WD cloud no problem.

Happy with it.

I'm after getting a new large TV for my living room soon so need to start having a proper lookm around and do some investigation. Love the OLED stuff I've seen though.

Good to know, cheers

Happy with fast moving tv on it like sport? That's where my current Samsung lets me down...

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4775 on: July 12, 2016, 07:30:46 pm »
To tell the truth mate I've only used it for PC Games and some Netflix UHD stuff.

Games are stunning on it at 4k. The Witcher, Star Wars and Arma 3 all look beautiful and run happily at 60 FPS max resolutions.  The 4K stuff from Netflix is limited but still a great view, and I've not noticed any problems at all with fast moving stuff.  And I'm only half a metre away from the screen :-)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4776 on: July 13, 2016, 01:00:19 pm »
To tell the truth mate I've only used it for PC Games and some Netflix UHD stuff.

Games are stunning on it at 4k. The Witcher, Star Wars and Arma 3 all look beautiful and run happily at 60 FPS max resolutions.  The 4K stuff from Netflix is limited but still a great view, and I've not noticed any problems at all with fast moving stuff.  And I'm only half a metre away from the screen :-)

Fair play cheers

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #4777 on: July 16, 2016, 05:28:34 pm »
don't want to spend more than £400.  want LED.  would like up to 48" screen.  don't need any smart tv bollocks but would like to run apple TV.....

This is a great deal if you are happy with a 40" screen:

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-40cs520/review

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4778 on: July 16, 2016, 05:35:06 pm »
My wife bought a cheap but ok Panasonic plasma TV.
I told her not to buy it because I wanted to get a last generation Pioneer Kuro plasma (used of course).
Could not sell it to her, this one is new she said, like that fucking matters. This is Kuro woman, last TV made with black that burns your eyes with it's richness.
Ah well...

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4779 on: July 16, 2016, 07:13:12 pm »
Personally I would go with a VT50 over a Kuro. I've had a KRP and a VT50 and thought the Panasonic was a better (and nicer looking) set.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4780 on: July 16, 2016, 07:57:40 pm »
VT50 is glorious, bit pricier then this set though.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4781 on: August 7, 2016, 03:24:28 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of the company Proscan?

Tv in my room has went bust and currys seem to be selling a 32" for just over £100

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/proscan-plded3274-32-led-tv-10100308-pdt.html

Is it any good?

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #4782 on: August 11, 2016, 08:05:12 pm »
£450-£500 max! Want 48" - what can the experts on here recommend?

Cheers
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4783 on: September 9, 2016, 03:11:38 pm »
Got a decent BENQ ST projector, and now I kinda regret splurging on a 4k TV earlier in the year.  Projector is soooo much better for movies.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4784 on: September 9, 2016, 08:53:05 pm »
I've seen alot of ads for Hisense. Are there tv's any good? They're pretty cheap but I'm not sure about the reputation. I'm a believer in you get what you pay for so cheap TV sets, phones etc always worry me slightly.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #4785 on: September 13, 2016, 04:18:48 pm »
ADVICE NEEDED!

Am moving house next month and lloking to upgrade the TV at the same time.

Currently have a 37 inch Sony flatscreen that is about a decade old so haven't really kept upto date with developments in the TV world.

Budget is anything upto £1500.

Requirements:

1. Not massively fussed about screen size as long as its bigger than 50 inches.

2. Moving to a place with bay windows in the living room so has to have high contrast.

3. Current TV is mated to a Panasonic Surround Sound System but - after years of trying to explain to the wife how to use two separate remotes to select input and change volume I have given up - if we could just control everything from a very simple single  remote that would be ace. Also the surround sound system has wires and the new place has a hard floor so I would be willing to ditch the Panasonic system and get a wireless speaker system - would all have to come within the budget above.

Experts - it's over to you!
Mate, with all due respect, you are an absolute fucking fruit case -MOZ

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4786 on: September 17, 2016, 03:59:59 am »
If you are in the habit of keeping TVs for 10 years before changing you need to future-proof as much as possible..... so I would recommend the 49" Samsung KS8000 with 4k and HDR capability.
Here is a link to a review:

http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue49ks8000/review

It has an excellent spec and it's remote control is a universal design which should make your wife happy.

Wireless surround systems are not a good idea if you appreciate good sound quality so I would be tempted to stick with your current set-up for now.  No modern thin TVs have good sound quality as standard and don't even think about using a sound bar.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:06:05 am by eAyeAddio »

Offline Commodore64

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4787 on: September 17, 2016, 02:48:49 pm »
The 49KS8000 is the one I'm looking at. It's a bit bigger than I wanted, I'd like around 42, but the tiny bezel makes up for it a little bit. Lovely looking TV.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #4788 on: September 17, 2016, 05:04:57 pm »
£450-£500 max! Want 48" - what can the experts on here recommend?

Cheers

Might see something here ?

http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/lcd-and-plasma/all-tvs
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #4789 on: September 21, 2016, 10:39:30 am »
aAyeAdio - many thanks for the advice - I'm looking into the set at the moment.

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4790 on: September 22, 2016, 06:09:19 pm »
aAyeAdio - many thanks for the advice - I'm looking into the set at the moment.

Cool.
John Lewis have this set available now with £100 discount for £1299 including a 5 year guarantee and free delivery plus an offer of half-price off a new 4k BlueRay player if bought at the same time....... A great deal.

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue49ks8000-suhd-hdr-1-000-4k-ultra-hd-quantum-dot-smart-tv-49-with-freeview-hd-playstation-now-360-design-uhd-premium/p2621486

This set is a no-brainer and good luck whatever you decide.... :-)

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #4791 on: September 22, 2016, 08:57:37 pm »
even better - cheers mate! ;D

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4792 on: September 23, 2016, 12:00:15 am »
I love the one connect idea for the Samsungs... but a max 3m cable length.   And it's not rated for in wall apparently - if anyone could confirm?   Thats the only reason stopping me getting a 60" KS7000 to be wall mounted at the mo.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4793 on: October 28, 2016, 08:25:29 am »
Was looking at getting the Samsung 65ks8000 but seen lots of comments about light bleed, stick pixels etc I am going to give Samsung a miss.

Looking now at the Hisense 65M7000.   Does anyone have one?  By all accounts for the price its an excellent TV.   £1000 cheaper than the Samsung.

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4794 on: October 31, 2016, 02:30:36 pm »
hey guys, i'm looking for a 32 inch smart/android tv that i'll be able to put kodi on, any recommendations?

or would i be better just buying a normal tv and getting an android box?

any help or advice would be appreciated.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #4795 on: November 7, 2016, 09:30:34 pm »
hey guys, i'm looking for a 32 inch smart/android tv that i'll be able to put kodi on, any recommendations?

or would i be better just buying a normal tv and getting an android box?

any help or advice would be appreciated.
Definitely get a dedicated box for Kodi. Ideally you'd want one with 2 GB RAM as Kodi will be getting more and more memory hungry as it evolves. I don't think a TV set will do it justice.
JFT97

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4796 on: November 16, 2016, 09:55:13 pm »
So... new fire and fireplace gets fitted next week so need to get my finger out and sort my media out.  Chasing walls at the moment :-(

As I said before I was going to get the Samsung with the One Connect, but as there appears to be no way forward on the 3m lead limit then I'm going to have to sack that one off. Anyone have any good recommendations for a sub £1500 UHD HDR tv - flatscreen. I just seem to be going round in circles at the moment. I like the Hisense that has good reviews (and is cheaper) but I cant seem to find one anywhere to get a good look/feel.

The plan is to run power and data cables up to the back of the TV and then have them come out of a modular brush box. I'm planning to run 2 HDMI cables, a coax, and an ethernet cable up to it. I'm going to run my gear into a 5 port HDMI switch - again if anyone has any good reviews of a good switch then that would be appreciated.

Lastly, and maybe one for the Kodi thread, but a decent/small box to basically have Kodi on and nothing else really.

Ideally everything would be controllable from my Harmony Ultimate, but realise this isnt likely.

All I'll be connecting up is a PS4, a virgin tivo (hopefully the new one soon for UHD), and the aforementioned Kodi Box.

All halp/recommendations appreciated.

Ta

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4797 on: November 17, 2016, 08:45:30 pm »
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Support the team,Trust & Believe.