Author Topic: Terrorism Incident outside UK Parliament  (Read 38588 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Terrorism Incident outside UK Parliament
« Reply #280 on: March 23, 2017, 08:29:27 am »
I know this might sound a bit extreme but perhaps it's time to start looking at ways to govern how mosques are run. A lot of these terrorists quite often will give talks at mosques to try and recruit others, spread the ideology ect.

On a related note I stumbled on this article from a few years ago which talks about measures Japan has gone to, to ensure they don't become victims.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/17/viral-image/viral-graphic-says-japan-keeps-out-radical-islam-t/

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Did you read the link you posted? Cos it basically says all of the 'measures they have gone to' are in fact bollocks ;D

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: March 23, 2017, 08:30:50 am »
Absurd and frankly disturbing  :lmao

I can only presume you mis-understood what I said. I don't think it's too disturbing to hope that the incident doesn't allow Donald Drumpf, Brexiters and UKIP to gain more support and power, which is exactly what such parties/bodies will attempt to make from this if it turns out to be Islamic extremism.

I understand the point you're making, but if anything I hope it forces the left and central left to engage more with the problem that is present within Islam in not just the UK but across the world. Far too many people have been too ready to engage in whataboutery and handwaving over Islam out of fear of being labelled a racist or lumped in with Drumpf/Brexit/UKIP types.

I wouldn't for a second advise going the disgusting, racist route these types want to, but there needs to be discussion on how to deal with more fundamentalist followers of Islam. This PEW poll for example shows 24% of Muslims in Britain think suicide bombing can be justified, and worryingly 35% of 18-29 year olds http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/11/pew-poll-42-of-muslim-youth-in-france-always-support-suicide-bombing/

This isn't a problem going away as the older generation die, quite the opposite, far too many are falling into the hands of bad people or are at least sympathetic to them. These root causes and fundamentalist preachers need to be addressed or it's only going to end in more bloodshed.

In a perfect world, Islam becomes liberalised in the same way Christianity largely has over the past few centuries, but how that goal is achieved I have no idea. Frankly I find the current form of Islam present in the middle east absolutely abhorrent
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #282 on: March 23, 2017, 08:53:07 am »
I am sure it was more than a coincidence that the attack took place during a division in the House of Commons. Anyone who knows anything about Parliament has always said it would happen during a 'division'. This is because parliament's guard is very publicly dropped during the first eight minutes of a division. The vehicle blockers are dropped to facilitate easy and quick entry into the building for MP's to vote. I assume there was some reason he failed to reach the gate in his vehicle. I'm not giving any secrets away here, hostile reconnaisence is constantly taking place and any tourist can see this in operation. That place really needs to grow up and modernise instead of all this childish tradition shite.Just being mega pedantic here, but the bridge runs east/west and the attack was on the southern pavement.

You're right - I was in a meeting on the 17th Floor of Westminster City Hall just before the attacks and the view looked over Westminster Abbey to the Palace of Westminster and the London Eye which was looking east but my head tends to think of the river as the a north/south boundary.

I left Westminster about 2.30 and didn't know anything about the attack until I was back in the office. Saw your post - it's always unnerving when you;re close to something like that but it's part and parcel of living or working in London.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #283 on: March 23, 2017, 09:02:33 am »
You're right - I was in a meeting on the 17th Floor of Westminster City Hall just before the attacks and the view looked over Westminster Abbey to the Palace of Westminster and the London Eye which was looking east but my head tends to think of the river as the a north/south boundary.

I left Westminster about 2.30 and didn't know anything about the attack until I was back in the office. Saw your post - it's always unnerving when you;re close to something like that but it's part and parcel of living or working in London.
Most Londoners think it runs north/south!

You missed it by the skin of your teeth mate.

It's the new 'normal' no matter where you live, and no point in obsessing about it, but when it hits close, you feel a bit like a wildebeest that's just seen one of his mates carried off by a lion - very uncomfortable feeling of relief and guilt for feeling relieved.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #284 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:12 am »
My thoughts are with the loved ones of those needlessly killed and injured yesterday. I was opposite Aldgate station during 7/7 and it's a day I'll never forget. Someone I worked with was injured on that train and has never been on the tube since.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #285 on: March 23, 2017, 09:37:36 am »

I wouldn't for a second advise going the disgusting, racist route these types want to, but there needs to be discussion on how to deal with more fundamentalist followers of Islam. This PEW poll for example shows 24% of Muslims in Britain think suicide bombing can be justified, and worryingly 35% of 18-29 year olds http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/11/pew-poll-42-of-muslim-youth-in-france-always-support-suicide-bombing/

I am sure some extremists would like the average person to go down the route of UKIP/Drumpf etc to create more divisions. They are interesting polls and I am sure if there were similar polls during the IRA campaigns many England born Irish would have polled in support as well. Infact I knew two guys who would send money to support. Both born in London and living in London but seemingly relatively happy to see it bombed.

Now I don't want to generalise and I am not a wordsworth so hopefully this will come across as I think it should. Basically there is an issue with 2nd possibly 3rd generation immigrants in this country - not all but definitely some. Non white People that are born here in the UK that are generally not accepted in the same way as their white peers. Yesterday before the attack there was a report on BBC breakfast that Black graduates are less likely to get a job than their white counterparts. Both are born and brought up in the UK but one of them is possibly going to have greater struggles than the other and have to deal with different prejudices. There are many more prejudices then the one mentioned above by the BBC but as it is the most recent one so I have used that for relevance.

This creates a disassociation with the country you are born and brought up in. Most people get on with it and deal with it but there will always be some that will look elsewhere. Some will look into crime, gangs, extremism who knows. For the most part it is a minority that will follow that path but with greater divisions seeming to appear in this country I think the likelihood is more will follow suit.

The first generation of immigrants always knew what they were - immigrants, they put up with shit but for the most part were thankful for the opportunity in another country, but the 2nd or 3rd generation are not immigrants but for the most part will be treated in a similar way (maybe not as blatantly but the hidden prejudices are still there). So if you don't feel you fit into the country you are born in maybe you look elsewhere  to feel part of something.

As mentioned above its not a one size fits all and I am not excusing the actions on any individual - far from it. But I guess everyone would want to prevent things like this happening again and I think this is part of the reasoning behind why so often it is English born people who commit these attrocities.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2017, 10:42:03 am »

You're quoting something from the gateway pundit? The site that received an award from Breitbart for services to journalism?
Legacy fan

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2017, 10:45:11 am »
Theresa May speaking to Parliament right now. Just confirmed the attacker was, they believe, working alone. They know the identity of the attacker. He is British born. He was historically (not an active case) investigated by MI5 for his Islamist views. They will announce his name in time (I think this is sensible)

She listed the nationalities of those injured on the bridge. There were citizens from Ireland, America, France, Germany, Poland, Romania, South Korea and I've probably forgotten others.

Truly the height of cowardice, attacking these poor tourists. Typical of Islamist terrorists
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:47:19 am by Classycara »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2017, 10:46:05 am »
It was a smart arse twenty:twenty hindsight comment in my opinion.

It's also pointless to say that "we knew it would happen in X place and still people were killed". It's impossible to stop people killing other people in these kind of attacks unless you have the intelligence to arrest before they get in a car. He could have driven onto any pavement on any street in London and killed a number of people. You can't stop that short of putting large bollards every 10-15 ft on every pavement which isn't remotely practical.

All the police and security services can do is to try to fully protect obvious targets, and every indication was yesterday that they did, hence his failure to gain access to the building (however unlikely it was that he'd succeed). They can't protect every road and street in London; such is the size of London and the number of high profile buildings and targets that you'd have to constantly blockade almost every road inside the Circle Line.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2017, 10:46:16 am »
You're quoting something from the gateway pundit? The site that received an award from Breitbart for services to journalism?

There are similarly concerning survey results in the UK, published in the last six months. If I have time at work, I will search for them soon.

EDIT: Here https://policyexchange.org.uk/publication/unsettled-belonging-a-survey-of-britains-muslim-communities/

Not as starkly concerning as the quoted French figures to be fair, but still concerning to those of us who prefer the UK to be secular
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:53:28 am by Classycara »

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2017, 10:51:14 am »
It's also pointless to say that "we knew it would happen in X place and still people were killed". It's impossible to stop people killing other people in these kind of attacks unless you have the intelligence to arrest before they get in a car. He could have driven onto any pavement on any street in London and killed a number of people. You can't stop that short of putting large bollards every 10-15 ft on every pavement which isn't remotely practical.
In which case, somebody could just knock people down on a pedestrian crossing.

I agree it's impossible to mitigate for absolutely every mundane eventuality, in every street in every city and town in the UK.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:21 am »

I am quoting a PEW poll result
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: March 23, 2017, 11:10:56 am »
Theresa May speaking to Parliament right now. Just confirmed the attacker was, they believe, working alone. They know the identity of the attacker. He is British born. He was historically (not an active case) investigated by MI5 for his Islamist views. They will announce his name in time (I think this is sensible)

She listed the nationalities of those injured on the bridge. There were citizens from Ireland, America, France, Germany, Poland, Romania, South Korea and I've probably forgotten others.

Truly the height of cowardice, attacking these poor tourists. Typical of Islamist terrorists

I guess the good thing is this is someone the intelligence services knew, so clearly they are doing something right in identifying risks. Obviously the next step will be to what lengths they go to in terms of neutralising everyone who may pose some level of risk, how high on the risk register people need to be and how many people there are actually known.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #293 on: March 23, 2017, 11:17:19 am »
The problem with these kind of attacks though is that monitoring communications and the like isn't likely to give much help in identifying an imminent attack.

The only materials required were a vehicle and knives that isn't something that requires collaboration and communication between multiple people, purchasing unusual materials or indeed any planning of note.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2017, 11:18:27 am »
I guess the good thing is this is someone the intelligence services knew, so clearly they are doing something right in identifying risks. Obviously the next step will be to what lengths they go to in terms of neutralising everyone who may pose some level of risk, how high on the risk register people need to be and how many people there are actually known.

I think they need to review some of the policies regarding the internet. Supposedly anti terrorist police allow a lot of these dodgy websites to continue running so they can see who the people are who frequent them. However if the "lone wolf" is the new terrorist risk they are unlikely to stop all of them even though they may know who they are. Maybe removing all the websites instead might make it harder for a random loon to get the info in the first place and therefore suppresses the issue or forces them to look elsewhere. They also definitely need greater support within those communities as well.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2017, 11:23:16 am »
The problem with these kind of attacks though is that monitoring communications and the like isn't likely to give much help in identifying an imminent attack.

The only materials required were a vehicle and knives that isn't something that requires collaboration and communication between multiple people, purchasing unusual materials or indeed any planning of note.

The direction with these things is identifying the people who may do such a thing and then its to what extent you monitor/prevent/disable the actions of these individuals. Obviously there are a myriad of questions around what is deemed a risk, how high or low was such a person on the risk register, is there the man power or ability etc.

Then obviously there are questions around the sources of such motivation. What is deemed extremist videos worthy of censorship and what materials do radicalise someone and then you are into the realms of liberty, free speech, pyschology etc.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2017, 11:25:28 am »
I think they need to review some of the policies regarding the internet. Supposedly anti terrorist police allow a lot of these dodgy websites to continue running so they can see who the people are who frequent them. However if the "lone wolf" is the new terrorist risk they are unlikely to stop all of them even though they may know who they are. Maybe removing all the websites instead might make it harder for a random loon to get the info in the first place and therefore suppresses the issue or forces them to look elsewhere. They also definitely need greater support within those communities as well.

You then are in the realms of what materials exactly radicalise someone and there is the definition or distinction between that, the reality of what is actual recruitment video, free speech etc.

The thing to be fortunate about really is that these are very rare attacks and the security services have done a brilliant job keeping us safe. Really there is very little to worry about (says the person who is shit scared of flying).

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: March 23, 2017, 11:30:56 am »
The authorities had a drill on the 19th  march involving "terrorists" holding  the thames boats passengers hostage, so they were not far off the mark...quite often drills are going on often on the same day as a terror event or in the days around it, as in the 7/7 attacks on the very same places attacked, bloody bizarre really.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:32:55 am by youll never walk alone it »
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: March 23, 2017, 11:34:09 am »
The authorities had a drill on the 19th  march involving "terrorists" holding  the thames boats passengers hostage, so they were not far off the mark...quite often drills are going on often on the same day as a terror event or in the days around it, as in the 7/7 attacks on the evry same places attacked, bloody bizarre really.

I was just sorting out the daily papers at work and that Thames terror drill was on the Monday cover of the Guardian and then obviously the real thing on today's cover.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 23, 2017, 11:35:07 am »
The authorities had a drill on the 19th  march involving "terrorists" holding  the thames boats passengers hostage, so they were not far off the mark...quite often drills are going on often on the same day as a terror event or in the days around it, as in the 7/7 attacks on the evry same places attacked, bloody bizarre really.
There was one at Heathrow about twenty years ago. Mortars were flying overhead and everyone thought it was the SAS who were present and about to have some kind of exercise. The bad news was it was the IRA, the good news was most of the mortars never went off.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #300 on: March 23, 2017, 12:35:46 pm »
I know this might sound a bit extreme but perhaps it's time to start looking at ways to govern how mosques are run. A lot of these terrorists quite often will give talks at mosques to try and recruit others, spread the ideology ect.

This isn't true at all.  The idea that mosques just allow anyone to speak mosque attenders about anything that want is laughable.

People can get the messages they want across to others without stepping foot in a mosque.  The internet is a far more effective tool.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: March 23, 2017, 12:37:09 pm »
Surely a mosque is a site least likely for such recruitment/inspiration to take place?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: March 23, 2017, 12:39:29 pm »
This isn't true at all.  The idea that mosques just allow anyone to speak mosque attenders about anything that want is laughable.

People can get the messages they want across to others without stepping foot in a mosque.  The internet is a far more effective tool.

Don't think anyone's daft enough to think all mosques allow anyone to join in open discussion! Goes pretty fundamentally against Islam. I'm sure more than 50% of the Muslim population wouldn't be allowed to address the mosque because of their gender, for a start
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:45:37 pm by Classycara »

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2017, 12:41:45 pm »
Surely a mosque is a site least likely for such recruitment/inspiration to take place?

Very much so.  I'm Muslim and politics are never even discussed let alone issues such as war.  If anything this is a disconnect between the mosques and the youths as on the one hand we see things like Syria, Iraq yet the mosques never address these things.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #304 on: March 23, 2017, 12:41:47 pm »
FFS just when things are bad the BBC wheel out Paul Nuttal for an interview...
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 23, 2017, 12:44:21 pm »

Isn't he still leader of UKIP?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: March 23, 2017, 12:45:11 pm »

Has he claimed he was on the bridge?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 23, 2017, 12:52:05 pm »

;D

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 23, 2017, 12:52:09 pm »

He was the marksman who took down the terrorist according to his website...

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: March 23, 2017, 12:53:43 pm »
Has Theresa May forgotten to chain her bike up or something?
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #310 on: March 23, 2017, 12:58:26 pm »
Absurd and frankly disturbing  :lmao

I can only presume you mis-understood what I said. I don't think it's too disturbing to hope that the incident doesn't allow Donald Drumpf, Brexiters and UKIP to gain more support and power, which is exactly what such parties/bodies will attempt to make from this if it turns out to be Islamic extremism.

His point is that it's disturbing to politicize innocent deaths before the bodies are even cold. The fact your first thoughts were to hope the attacker fits your own political views when there is blood still on the Westminster tarmac is, as Buck Pete puts it, absurd and frankly disturbing.

Sure, in the aftermath we can all have a discussion about how it affects politics, how certain horrible groups may want to piggyback on the misery to further their agendas etc. But it seems very strange to have a preference over the skin colour of a murderer.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #311 on: March 23, 2017, 01:03:48 pm »
Many of these countries have their own issues to deal with. They have lots of incidents and they happen with far more regularity than safe countries like the UK. Not to downplay what happened today or to back the shite regimes in charge of some of those countries, but this really isnt a massive incident.

At the same time many of those countries don't, Saudi Arabia had an incident in 2015 but other than that you need to go back a while. The selection of Muslim countries that has a constant barrage of incidents is relatively small.

I think in general there needs to be a point made about Muslims speaking out about this sort of stuff in numbers, to put clear distance between being a Muslim and being an extremist. Because at the moment every one of these terror attacks just recruits more people to the far right, which in turn creates more racial friction, which in turn creates more extremists, and on and on we go.

The problem is it's easy to become a target if you speak out, or exiled from your community.

Terrorism has never been more effective and I really worry for the future, you like to think they'll just get bored but with Trump in the Whitehouse and Brexit on the door step why would they?
:D

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #312 on: March 23, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »
I see this thread is going off in a few fairly predictable tangents.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: March 23, 2017, 01:05:27 pm »
I see this thread is going off in a few fairly predictable tangents.

Yes - can we keep to the facts as far as we know them.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #314 on: March 23, 2017, 01:07:20 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39355505

"BBC News understands that the attacker was shot by a bodyguard of Defence Secretary, Sir Michael Fallon, not a routine armed guard.

Political editor Laura Kuenssberg told BBC Two's Daily Politics: "The crucial difference is that those bodyguards are only in the Palace of Westminster when those ministers are actually there." 
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:12 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39355505

"BBC News understands that the attacker was shot by a bodyguard of Defence Secretary, Sir Michael Fallon, not a routine armed guard.

Political editor Laura Kuenssberg told BBC Two's Daily Politics: "The crucial difference is that those bodyguards are only in the Palace of Westminster when those ministers are actually there." 

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/844896804508504064

.@metpoliceuk response when asked if plain-clothes marksman who shot #londonattack terrorist was Def Sec Michael Fallon's protection officer

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:29 pm »
Someone on TV was saying the gate into Parliament where the killer stabbed the policeman is usually closed,it had just been opened to let someone leave which I assume may have been Michael Fallon as his security shot the killer.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2017, 01:15:15 pm »
At the same time many of those countries don't, Saudi Arabia had an incident in 2015 but other than that you need to go back a while. The selection of Muslim countries that has a constant barrage of incidents is relatively small.

I think in general there needs to be a point made about Muslims speaking out about this sort of stuff in numbers, to put clear distance between being a Muslim and being an extremist. Because at the moment every one of these terror attacks just recruits more people to the far right, which in turn creates more racial friction, which in turn creates more extremists, and on and on we go.

The problem is it's easy to become a target if you speak out, or exiled from your community.

Terrorism has never been more effective and I really worry for the future, you like to think they'll just get bored but with Trump in the Whitehouse and Brexit on the door step why would they?

The attacks in Muslim countries will be more directed to the governments and security forces as justifying attacks on Muslim civilians wont be possible.

Muslims shouldn't be asked to apologise for terrorist acts or have to come out and condemn it as that automatically puts the burden on Muslims as if they do support such actions unless they vocally say otherwise.

As for the likes of Saudi Arabia saying something, even if they do its just not taken with any credibility and that's the problem. On the one hand they want to condemn terrorism yet on the other they bomb Iraq and Syria claiming to be hitting ISIS yet they kill hundreds of civilians.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2017, 01:20:10 pm »
The attacks in Muslim countries will be more directed to the governments and security forces as justifying attacks on Muslim civilians wont be possible.

Many bombs in busy Turkish, Iraqi and Syrian public market places would suggest you are entirely incorrect in this assertion. You appear unaware, or unwilling to broach, of Islamic sectarianism.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2017, 01:21:50 pm »
Muslims shouldn't be asked to apologise for terrorist acts or have to come out and condemn it as that automatically puts the burden on Muslims as if they do support such actions unless they vocally say otherwise.

The burden is already there mate, look at the political and social climate in the UK and USA.

In the eyes of very many Muslims are okay with Terrorism, the far right don't make distinctions.
:D