Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 211691 times)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #720 on: April 9, 2017, 08:46:31 am »
Vetstappen being a bit of a little bitch, what exactly did he want Grossjean to do?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #721 on: April 9, 2017, 09:02:12 am »
Not a bad gp. Fair result in the end. Good from verstappen considering his qualifying position

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #722 on: April 9, 2017, 10:06:44 am »
Max is a god 8)
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #723 on: April 9, 2017, 12:04:47 pm »
Vetstappen being a bit of a little bitch, what exactly did he want Grossjean to do?
was ridiculous. He was at least 2 seconds back so he wasn't held up. Was just shitting himself with Riccardo.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #724 on: April 9, 2017, 12:38:27 pm »
Watching the race over on SKY F1. Only on lap 4.

Would not like to be the Sauber money men counting the cost of today's race

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: April 9, 2017, 12:45:28 pm »
Really slow safety car.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #726 on: April 10, 2017, 02:34:02 pm »
Just as a bit of a side I dont suppose anyone knows where I can get a documentary called The Green Hill? Mates after it who is normally pretty good at finding things, but he has having no luck bar to pay for it on You Tubes sister channel.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #727 on: April 12, 2017, 11:28:47 am »
Bloody hell..

Alonso to miss the Monaco GP to race in the Indy 500
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: April 12, 2017, 11:30:25 am »
Button is their official reseberve driver, so I guess he will step in?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: April 12, 2017, 11:33:27 am »
The car will be an Andretti McLaren tie up with a Honda V6 ... He'll love that :)
W

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #730 on: April 12, 2017, 11:33:42 am »
Bloody hell..

Alonso to miss the Monaco GP to race in the Indy 500

Rcing in a Honda powered car (Andretti) which will be branded McLaren for the race - seems a mix of a PR stunt and something to keep Alonso happy.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: April 12, 2017, 11:35:52 am »
Bad that they have to resort to this to keep Alonso happy, their car being so far away from actually competing.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #732 on: April 12, 2017, 11:55:03 am »
I guarantee no fucker saw that coming.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: April 12, 2017, 12:13:15 pm »
I guarantee no fucker saw that coming.
i certainly didnt

thought it was a wind up

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: April 12, 2017, 01:27:00 pm »
i certainly didnt

thought it was a wind up
I genuinely thought I was reading an old April Fools article for a second. Sad that Alonso has to resort to this to get some "interesting" racing.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: April 12, 2017, 03:31:17 pm »
I genuinely thought I was reading an old April Fools article for a second. Sad that Alonso has to resort to this to get some "interesting" racing.
that was exactly my first thought

i sent it to someone in work. his reply to me made this move even more sense

he said monaco is one track the mclaren may well work at as its not a power circuit and its a decent enough chassis seemingly. yet they give him the weekend off.

they havent a fucking clue

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #736 on: April 12, 2017, 04:01:39 pm »
I imagine it's more Alonso insisting on it. Plus the McLaren brand will have a much better chance winning there than at Monaco, so makes sense to put their best driver in that car (I guess, for them).

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #737 on: April 12, 2017, 04:32:17 pm »
Didn't all 4 of the Andretti Honda cars fail to finish at Long Beach on Sunday?

Fernando will feel right at home then

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: April 12, 2017, 04:33:34 pm »
is michael andretti involved

what a happy reunion

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #739 on: April 12, 2017, 04:48:55 pm »
Fernando Alonso will compete in the famed Indianapolis 500, meaning he will miss the prestigious Monaco Grand Prix. Alonso will find himself in an Indy car for the first time, with McLaren fielding a single-car team under the Andretti Autosport banner.

“I’m immensely excited that I’ll be racing in this year’s Indy 500, with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport," said Alonso. “The Indy 500 is one of the most famous races on the global motorsport calendar, rivaled only by the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Monaco Grand Prix, and it’s of course a regret of mine that I won’t be able to race at Monaco this year.

“I’ve never raced an Indy car car before, and neither have I ever driven on a superspeedway, but I’m confident that I’ll get to grips with it fast.

“I realize I’ll be on a steep learning curve, but I’ll be flying to Indianapolis from Barcelona immediately after the Spanish Grand Prix, practicing our McLaren-Honda-Andretti car at Indy from May 15 onwards."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula...p-fernando-alonso-race-indy-500#ixzz4e2q6u8nX
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:53 am »
Button will be replacing him!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39576099

Poor sod
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #741 on: April 13, 2017, 11:46:30 am »
Button will be replacing him!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39576099

Poor sod

Where does it say Button will be replacing him?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: April 13, 2017, 01:04:29 pm »
Where does it say Button will be replacing him?
it doesnt

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: April 13, 2017, 04:01:29 pm »
This does though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39589767

Jenson Button set to replace Fernando Alonso for McLaren at Monaco Grand Prix

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer in Bahrain

Britain's Jenson Button looks set to replace Fernando Alonso at McLaren for the Monaco Grand Prix in May.

Alonso will miss Monaco to race in the Indianapolis 500, with full support from McLaren and engine partner Honda.

McLaren executive director Zak Brown says two-time champion Alonso's replacement is "not in place".

But there is no other serious option than Button, 37, who is contracted to McLaren as a reserve driver and will race barring unexpected circumstances.

The 2009 world champion retired from Formula 1 at the end of last season and has spent the winter in California training for Ironman triathlons, his long-time passion.

He signed a contract with McLaren last autumn that committed him to replacing any race driver who was not able to take part in a grand prix this year.

As part of that contract, the team also has an option on signing him to race in 2018.

Button tweeted a jokey reaction on Wednesday after the news of Alonso's Indy programme was announced, asking: "Why do I have so many missed calls?"

Meanwhile, Brown told a Bahrain news conference, held to discuss Alonso's Indy programme, that "conversations were ongoing" over the Spaniard's replacement.

"We have a few different options, we will state who that is when we know," he said.

"Eric [Boullier], who runs the F1 team, is ultimately responsible for making the recommendation as to what driver should go in the car and I think he will be here at the weekend so I can save questions for him, he is working on it.

"I wouldn't want to share the conversations he has had with whom."

Button's compatriot and former team-mate, Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton, said: "I hope Jenson comes back and it will be great for the sport if Jenson comes in.

"Jenson is still one of the best drivers in the world and his calibre and experience make him the best choice."

Hamilton and Button drove together at McLaren between 2010 and 2012.

Are any other drivers in contention?

Button is the only serious alternative McLaren have. Alonso is one of the top three or four drivers in the world and they need an experienced replacement for a race where they have one of their best chances of the season to score decent points.

The McLaren chassis is quite strong, but the car is being let down by its Honda engine, which is said to be at least 100bhp down on the best in F1.

Monaco is one of the tracks on the calendar where engine power is least important in determining lap time. Alonso finished fifth there last year, when Honda also had a power deficit.

On top of that, there are very few available drivers with the required level of skill and expertise.

Mexican Esteban Gutierrez and Brazil's Felipe Nasr both raced last year and are potentially free, but are non-starters for a team such as McLaren needing to find a replacement for a two-time champion.

And Button's deal was struck with exactly this sort of situation in mind.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #744 on: April 14, 2017, 12:01:52 pm »
Actually confirmed now  ;D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: April 14, 2017, 01:10:17 pm »
Actually confirmed now  ;D

Was never really in doubt. Will be nice to see JB back in an F1 car storming round Monaco. If there was a track where a guy can just slot right back in, in a car as poor as Mclaren it would be Button. Splash a bit of rain out there and I'd put money on him getting a podium :P

So 2 of the 3 drivers that retired last season have made a comeback. Money on Rosberg having a go :P

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: April 14, 2017, 01:23:20 pm »
Says more about how bad it must be at McLaren for their top driver to up sticks for the marquee F1 race of the year to drive round an oval for 200 laps.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #747 on: April 14, 2017, 01:30:31 pm »
Says more about how bad it must be at McLaren for their top driver to up sticks for the marquee F1 race of the year to drive round an oval for 200 laps.

to be honest the Indy 500 is huge. Doubt many drivers, who aren't likely to be anywhere near the front at Monaco, would turn down the chance.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #748 on: April 14, 2017, 01:32:05 pm »

As someone who rarely watches the sport, but does catch the odd race here and there and has an obsessed mate who follows it, that was my thought!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: April 14, 2017, 05:18:10 pm »
The only experience of NASCAR style Motorsport is Talladega Nights and Pixar Cars :P.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: April 14, 2017, 05:59:25 pm »
to be honest the Indy 500 is huge. Doubt many drivers, who aren't likely to be anywhere near the front at Monaco, would turn down the chance.

Aye, as a driver the Indy 500 is probably a lot more fun than Monaco.  Certainly in Alonso's position.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: April 14, 2017, 06:20:26 pm »
The only experience of NASCAR style Motorsport is Talladega Nights and Pixar Cars :P.
Never watched Days of Thunder?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: April 14, 2017, 06:26:25 pm »
Get on Driven, with Sly Stallone. ;D
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #753 on: April 14, 2017, 06:27:36 pm »
Looks like we're set for a very interesting weekend.  Vettel fastest in FP3, with Bottas, Ricciardo, Raikkonen, and Hamilton all within +.284 (Verstappen didn't set a competitive time), and Kimi looking very strong on race pace.  Close on fast times through the rest of the pack, with Sauber the only real exception.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: April 15, 2017, 06:48:08 am »
I know it's gonna be hot in Bahrain come race day but surely with it being in the evening/night it doesn't benefit ferrari to the extent which day time would? The reason I ask is becsuse Hamilton said ferrari would be favourites considering how there types operate in such conditions. But what kind of track temp are we looking at?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #755 on: April 15, 2017, 08:46:46 am »
26–29 °C (79–84 °F) track temperature last year according to wiki.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: April 15, 2017, 12:41:08 pm »
really excited for this race, tomorrow can't come soon enough

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #757 on: April 15, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
I've been to the Indy 500 once. Dan Weldon won.

You really can't imagine how big a 2 1/2 mile oval is until you go there.

Small fact. Down the main straight there are tunnels under to track to get from one side to the other. If you want an experience be in there when the cars go over.. :o  8)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: April 15, 2017, 05:04:25 pm »
Great effort by bottas there. Mercedes too quick over one lap. Raikonnen isn't good enough

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: April 15, 2017, 05:08:07 pm »
Thought that Mercedes would struggle in qualifying here...struggle for them mind you. But in the end, the car looks good. Lewis screwed something up in his middle sector to lose as much time as he did.
Good for Bottas, he needed that. Sharp into turn 1 though.