Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 211683 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #640 on: March 26, 2017, 09:23:08 pm »
Ferrari with huge win

Great for us
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2017, 10:00:54 pm »
Well thats a familiar set of podium national anthems.

Please please please let this be a sign of a competitive season ahead
Yeah ha,ha,i grew up with Schumacher domination and  those anthem combination.My favorite phase was Michael and Hakkinen rivalry,God how much i hated Mika Hakkinen,my favorite scene when Hakkinen  was crying behind some bush after spin out of lead in Monza.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2017, 11:55:47 am »
As was mentioned by Croft/Brundle during the race, the colours didn't half look good when Hulkenberg, Ocon, and Alonso were battling for 10th yesterday - good to see some variation again after countless majority grey liveries in recent years (Haas, McLaren, Force India, Sauber...).

The McLaren and Renault liveries look great front-on, but I'd say that the Renault is the much better looking from the side.

I thought Pat Symons' comments about the fins causing handling issues was interesting - they're awful aesthetically, but seemed to play a part in both Palmer and Ricciardo's accidents this weekend.  If that's a factor that the drivers can be mindful of and can react to, then I see a case for them staying - certainly not if they cause freak incidents where the drivers are powerless without warning though.

---

Really liked a couple of those new FOM graphics, even if it did seem as though there were some issues yesterday!

---

Interviews/exchanges with Brawn and Carey seemed positive... Brawn certainly seems to understand that there needs to be more proactivity, rather than the reactivity of Ecclestone, as the sport move's forward.  That's a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:58:45 am by jackh »

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: March 27, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
That Toro Rosso is still the best-looking car on the grid though.  Only when it's static it seems, just looks like any old car when it's on track.

Watching the Mercedes is still a pleasure though, always loved their scheme.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: March 27, 2017, 02:38:45 pm »
That Toro Rosso is still the best-looking car on the grid though.  Only when it's static it seems, just looks like any old car when it's on track.

Watching the Mercedes is still a pleasure though, always loved their scheme.
i dont know why but this year the merc looks better than ever visually. love the front of it

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #645 on: March 29, 2017, 12:23:14 pm »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: March 29, 2017, 04:44:28 pm »
I did a preview for Australian GP.
Bit of a relief then when Seb won. :D

https://motorsport.ie/2017/03/23/f1-2017-a-new-hope-has-a-true-challenger-to-mercedes-finally-emerged-ausgp/

Enjoyed reading that cheers.

Especially on the back of a win :)

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #647 on: March 30, 2017, 11:13:14 am »
Enjoyed reading that cheers.

Especially on the back of a win :)

I thought I was in trouble up to lap 17 to be honest. :D

Great to see what looks like a genuine battle unfolding.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: March 30, 2017, 11:30:38 am »
I thought I was in trouble up to lap 17 to be honest. :D

Great to see what looks like a genuine battle unfolding.
Lewis got held up behind Max which fucked him though he was on fresher tyres. Vettel eeked that little bit extra out of his tyres.

Also held a comfortable gap towards the end of the race and didnt seem in any real danger.

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #649 on: March 30, 2017, 12:13:32 pm »
Lewis got held up behind Max which fucked him though he was on fresher tyres. Vettel eeked that little bit extra out of his tyres.

Also held a comfortable gap towards the end of the race and didnt seem in any real danger.

and Bottas got close to Hamilton at the end.
If he joins the two in a battle at the front Ferrari will have to keep their heads and hope the Mercs take points off each other.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #650 on: March 31, 2017, 07:58:33 pm »
Honda to power next years Sauber by the looks of it - must be chucking a decent amount of money their way as not sure why Sauber would even entertain even contemplating that engine currently.

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: March 31, 2017, 08:07:40 pm »
What does Honda gain from their continued involvement in F1 given their struggles since returning? Especially if they have to pay teams sizable sums for using their engines.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: March 31, 2017, 10:28:32 pm »
Some of the quotes from Honda made me laugh. They followed the idea that they have a duty to provide engines for multiple F1 teams. IMO they have a duty to fuck off from the sport entirely and stop conducting their own comedy hour/season with their piss poor engines.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #653 on: March 31, 2017, 11:33:26 pm »
Honda to power next years Sauber by the looks of it - must be chucking a decent amount of money their way as not sure why Sauber would even entertain even contemplating that engine currently.

Sauber's owned by a shady finance firm now, remember. If Honda say "We'll pay your R&D budget to use you as a mule for a year" they'll grin and sign.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #654 on: April 3, 2017, 07:39:25 am »
New engines from 2021...

Supposedly simpler and louder..

We will see

http://www.motoring.com.au/motorsport-sounds-like-f1-noise-a-long-way-off-106669/

I suppose justvlifting the fuel limit and raising the maximum revs would make a big difference..
« Last Edit: April 3, 2017, 07:42:36 am by less grotesquely offensive? »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: April 3, 2017, 08:50:37 am »
New engines from 2021...

Supposedly simpler and louder..

We will see

http://www.motoring.com.au/motorsport-sounds-like-f1-noise-a-long-way-off-106669/

I suppose justvlifting the fuel limit and raising the maximum revs would make a big difference..

Its the rev's that would help in the short term. You can make these engines as loud as you want, but its still limited to 15,000 rpm.

The V8's which were in hindsight really decent, went to 18, the monster V10's could go higher still, this argument over the sound isnt about volume, its about the pitch of the engines. The older ones would sound like they were alien technology, screaming as they went round, these ones just sound like loud regular engines.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #656 on: April 3, 2017, 11:27:43 am »
Its the rev's that would help in the short term. You can make these engines as loud as you want, but its still limited to 15,000 rpm.

The V8's which were in hindsight really decent, went to 18, the monster V10's could go higher still, this argument over the sound isnt about volume, its about the pitch of the engines. The older ones would sound like they were alien technology, screaming as they went round, these ones just sound like loud regular engines.

Nail on the head.
A loud burble is still a burble.
Those V10s & V12s were music for the soul.
Pitch as important as volume.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: April 3, 2017, 11:43:28 am »
was cool listening to v10s and v12s screaming through the old hockenheim

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #658 on: April 3, 2017, 11:50:51 am »
was cool listening to v10s and v12s screaming through the old hockenheim

Make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: April 3, 2017, 12:05:18 pm »
Make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
especially the end of the straight and its a Ferrari screaming for mercy

The Honda and Merc had good sound too. especially honda

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #660 on: April 3, 2017, 12:09:53 pm »
especially the end of the straight and its a Ferrari screaming for mercy

The Honda and Merc had good sound too. especially honda

That track was phenomenal.
So sad to see it lose those straights.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: April 3, 2017, 12:57:33 pm »
That track was phenomenal.
So sad to see it lose those straights.
i think its a good track now but they should never have got rid of the original

you can see current pics on line

it was an evil place in the rain

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: April 3, 2017, 01:04:09 pm »
i think its a good track now but they should never have got rid of the original

you can see current pics on line

it was an evil place in the rain
It was an evil place anyway, but that's what makes them some of the best tracks, it's (one of the reasons) why the Nurburgring is still revered.

The tarmac run-offs are fine to a point on most modern tracks, but they should only be a small strip alongside the track with the gravel waiting beyond.  I understand the balance between racing and safety but of the accidents that have caused injury or death, I'd argue very few you could blame on a gravel trap. 
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: April 3, 2017, 01:16:14 pm »
It was an evil place anyway, but that's what makes them some of the best tracks, it's (one of the reasons) why the Nurburgring is still revered.

The tarmac run-offs are fine to a point on most modern tracks, but they should only be a small strip alongside the track with the gravel waiting beyond.  I understand the balance between racing and safety but of the accidents that have caused injury or death, I'd argue very few you could blame on a gravel trap. 
they have probably saved a lot of lives too

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: April 3, 2017, 02:30:45 pm »
I still watch on board videos of the old hockenhem and the v10 noise videos on Youtube.

V10 noise was like howling perfection.

Seen this video way to many times of V10's testing at Monza,makes the hairs standing up hearing the V10's approaching like impending doom.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eMDdQgBI5Hw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eMDdQgBI5Hw</a>

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #665 on: April 3, 2017, 02:57:27 pm »
You youngsters..

I remember people complaining about Ferrari switching from V12 to V10...

It was like end of days!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: April 3, 2017, 03:36:36 pm »
last ever v12

was the end of an era

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: April 3, 2017, 06:32:43 pm »
Imagine what the cars could do if they bunged a Bugatti W16 in one...
My Twitter

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: April 3, 2017, 09:05:07 pm »
Giovanazzi will race again in place of wehrlein.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: April 4, 2017, 08:11:57 am »
Giovanazzi will race again in place of wehrlein.

This is all a bit weird. He didnt race last time because he said he didnt feel fit enough, and two weeks later hes still not there? Theyve confirmed its nothing to do with his neck injury, its purely fitness, but is he really that underprepared that a rookie can step in and be in much better shape than him? I know these cars are supposedly tougher on the driver, but theres a good chance this means he will sit out Bahrain next week, so he wont race till Russia.

And then if Giovinazzi continues to do well, it seems harsh he has to go back to testing. Bet Mercedes are feeling very justified in not promoting Wehrlein to the big seat.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: April 4, 2017, 08:41:04 am »
yeah i saw he might stay in for a further drive after this weekend

it is very strange alright

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: April 4, 2017, 12:00:19 pm »
yeah i saw he might stay in for a further drive after this weekend

it is very strange alright

Was reading an interesting thing on this, that if he does drive in Bahrain, he wont be eligible for doing testing days under the "young drivers" program he does at the moment, as its limited to drivers who have started two or fewer GP's.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: April 4, 2017, 12:14:50 pm »
Bit weird how Ferrari announced it too!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #673 on: April 5, 2017, 10:59:30 am »
Bit weird how Ferrari announced it too!

He's with the Ferrari young driver programme.

You youngsters..

I remember people complaining about Ferrari switching from V12 to V10...

It was like end of days!

It was.

Those V12s were glorious.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: April 5, 2017, 11:00:34 am »
He's with the Ferrari young driver programme.
IS Wehrlein still with mercs?

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #675 on: April 5, 2017, 12:49:20 pm »
IS Wehrlein still with mercs?

Yeah he's still a Merc driver.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: April 6, 2017, 11:31:40 am »
I like this write-up about the struggles of those at the back of the field, and how heavy the tilt is towards the front-runners.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128787/can-f1-save-its-cashstrapped-teams

Can F1 save its cash-strapped teams under new owners?
By Adam Cooper
Published on Tuesday April 4th 2017

Formula 1's new owner Liberty Media has stated it wants to reduce the huge income disparity between teams and improve competition, but can it really change the way F1 works?

F1 Group chief Chase Carey and his colleagues have used comparisons with major US sports leagues, with Liberty CEO and president Greg Maffei recently saying "all parties understand the need for a competitive race environment and, like the NFL on any given Sunday, an opportunity to have teams come from behind and win, not have the usual players.

"It's not in anybody's interest to have a non-competitive, non-interesting, non-exciting sporting event."

Carey himself used a baseball analogy at the FIA World Motor Sport Council.

"He used the example of the New York Yankees, who apparently have very rich owners, who could spend unlimited sums of money to ensure that they won every time," WMSC member and Force India boss Vijay Mallya told Autosport.

"He said 'that's not competitive sport'. If I read into that, he meant everyone big or small should have an equal chance to compete."

Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Mercedes, Williams and Renault currently all receive varying degrees of additional funding beyond the money paid out based on championship finishing position, under deals negotiated with Bernie Ecclestone.

Force India and Sauber therefore joined forces to pursue the EU commission complaints currently progressing slowly through the system.

Maffei hopes inducements such as shares in the revamped F1 Group will help but he admitted: "There are no guarantees of that.

"Understandably, teams that are being paid particularly well today will be reluctant to give those payments up."

Liberty is also keen to tackle expenditure, potentially via a budget cap, on the basis that if costs can be kept down, it will be easier to address the income issue.

Ross Brawn has been tasked with investigating the practicalities.

Carey and his colleagues have met with the teams both individually and collectively, and got a positive response from Sauber and Force India.

"Everything Chase Carey has said is music to my ears," said Mallya.

"These Americans understand how to promote sport, they understand how important stability of the sport is.

"They are the owners of the Atlanta Braves themselves, so they understand the importance of how franchises or participating teams should be on a stable footing.

"It's going to be a very, very different approach to what Bernie had."

Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn added: "Very clear statements that the new owners want to support the smaller teams, and that private teams are a part of F1, and are very much a core part of it - that's very encouraging.

"A cost cap, or a budget cap, in whatever way, it's coming in. They're looking at the engine, and making it affordable to everyone.

"With Ross there's someone in there who knows all different sides from a team's perspective, a big team, a small team, a struggling team, a successful team, or a very strong team financially.

"That helps a lot because he can really understand where people are coming from. He also knows what you can do on the technical side."

Mallya remains hopeful something can finally change, although he also hinted that F1's new owners could fix the situation even if the big teams don't give up their extra income.

"Bernie wanted to take it away from the big teams and give it to the small teams, which the big teams objected to," he said. "That's not the only way.

"The commercial rights holders could also dip their hands into their own pockets and ensure the financial sustainability of the smaller teams."

The EU action could yet force the situation.

"Over the past two years we've been carrying a battle fundamentally on our own," said Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley.

"There are two ways of doing it. One is negotiation, which is where Liberty are moving.

"Two is through enforcement, which could come through an EU investigation.

"What we've said to Liberty is that we will support them 100%, but we will robustly follow the programme that we are bringing in place with the EU, and other means if necessary."
My Twitter

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: April 7, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »
Well that wasn't a disaster of a day.  Not whatsoever.
My Twitter

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #678 on: April 7, 2017, 12:47:42 pm »
Sounds like sky f1 are going to have to do some major padding with their schedule today.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: April 7, 2017, 01:01:38 pm »
Lol the Yankees have won 2 championships this century (00 & 09) while being the biggest spenders in world sport,they have wasted stupid amounts of money.

I like what Liberty are saying wanting to even the playing field,But Ferrari Mercedes Mclaren are some powerful voices and will do everything to stop that happening.

Interesting how VW were at the latest talks with the FIA regarding new engines regs for 2021.

Lamborghini or Audi joining would be brilliant,if VW take it serious i can see Porsche ( Please a engine deal with Williams again) wanting to get in onthe act,BMW would also be great to see them back,Toyota for the lols showing Honda how to do a engine. ;D
« Last Edit: April 7, 2017, 01:03:47 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."