Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 613741 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #2680 on: May 6, 2017, 09:31:46 am »
I like the Rockets-Spurs series, looks like that will go to 7 games. Popovich really is Dr.House of coaching. He can play d league ballers in the play-off's and you know they will give you a game.

Also yes i agree, Raptors should tank until Lebron retires ;D

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2681 on: May 6, 2017, 11:25:59 am »
Can someone for the love of God explain me how Cavs outrebounded the Raptors 49-25? Ibaka 35 mins and 2 rebounds? Wasn't he traded to get better rim protection? I will be shocked if he is resigned for the crazy money he is asking for. OKC made questionable moves but shipped Ibaka in best time imo. Settles for jump shots too often, loses his man, can go cold as ice and he won't listen the coach, he will keep chucking  ISO's inefficient long two's, fell in love with perimeter game even though his inside presence and blocking has made him what he is. K-Love outhustled him each time, got 13 vs Ibaka's 2  and that's saying something.

Also Hubie Brown should just retire from commentating, he says player names wrong( he said Joseph Thomas for Cory Joseph all game), he cheers when Raps score and says "that's too bad" "oh come on now" in a disappointed tone when Love, JR scores. Claims Lebron initiated contact when he was hit. Never liked him as he adds nothing just says the obvious, i think he was respected just because of his age but his bis stuff is getting ridiculous no.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2017, 11:42:11 am by elsewhere »

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2682 on: May 7, 2017, 04:35:04 am »
Christ, even with Curry and Thompson playing like turd and the game staying in the balance 'til the last couple of minutes, the Jazz still can't even lose by single digits. Here comes the broom...

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2683 on: May 7, 2017, 04:54:57 am »
Utah tried really hard but the gulf in quality despite the Dubs having an off night was evident in the last couple of minutes in the game. They're getting swept. Too easy for them

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2684 on: May 7, 2017, 11:14:34 pm »
LeBron 4, Raptors 0. Ridiculous performance from him again.

To be fair, Kyrie smashed the 4th quarter and Korver had 16 before half time.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2685 on: May 7, 2017, 11:20:16 pm »
The series never even started. The Raps need to ask themselves serious questions, cause with their current core they're up against the tax, have little to no room for manoeuvre and it's clear as day that they can't compete at the top level. Ujiri is a very good GM, but it's going to be a difficult time ahead for them.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2686 on: May 7, 2017, 11:24:05 pm »
Especially as their primary focus in recruiting last summer was to combat the Cavs in the play-offs. 4-2 last year, couldn't even win a game this year, they've gone backwards.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2687 on: May 7, 2017, 11:24:21 pm »
Ujiri's one of the better GMs in the NBA. I've a lot of confidence in him but now he has work to do. This roster will never be good enough to win it, so I see no reason to continue persisting with it.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2688 on: May 7, 2017, 11:55:28 pm »
I knew they were not gonna challenge the Cavs but also didn't think they will lose all 4 and none of them would be even close. I guess there were signs in the Bucks series. Talking about them, I think Bucks could have won one vs the Cavs instead of a sweep.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #2689 on: May 7, 2017, 11:58:22 pm »
Have to re-sign Lowry, right? Tough choice.

He is due for a huge pay check and probably approaching his twilight. Crap playoff performances and they played alright without him during that stretch in the regular season.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2690 on: May 8, 2017, 12:01:00 am »
Meanwhile, the Wiz once again would be better off playing 4 on 5 than giving Jennings any minutes. 24-20 Boston at the end of the 1st.

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2691 on: May 8, 2017, 12:01:31 am »
Have to re-sign Lowry, right? Tough choice.

He is due for a huge pay check and probably approaching his twilight. Crap playoff performances and they played alright without him during that stretch in the regular season.

I'd only be okay with re-signing Lowry if we plan on trading him in the not too distant future. Makes no sense otherwise.   

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2692 on: May 8, 2017, 12:06:07 am »
Especially as their primary focus in recruiting last summer was to combat the Cavs in the play-offs. 4-2 last year, couldn't even win a game this year, they've gone backwards.
Ujiri's one of the better GMs in the NBA. I've a lot of confidence in him but now he has work to do. This roster will never be good enough to win it, so I see no reason to continue persisting with it.

Demarre Carroll contract was a bad mistake for him. I will be shocked if he signs Ibaka this summer. As for PJ, i guess it will depend on what happens with Lowry. They may move JV this summer, i won't be surprised. Also if Lowry leaves i guess they will fo for Bledsoe or Teague. Maybe also a 3rd scoring option like Gallinari with a trade.

Maybe other question is, will Ujiri keep Casey?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2693 on: May 8, 2017, 12:10:44 am »
I'd only be okay with re-signing Lowry if we plan on trading him in the not too distant future. Makes no sense otherwise.   

Agreed. Not to mention he had health issues all year and didn't perform in play off's last few years. But i think he will demand a crazy contract and Raps won't sign him.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2694 on: May 8, 2017, 12:14:11 am »
I hope the Spurs have a plan in the summer, we clearly need to build around Kawhi, but we don't have a lot of room due to cap limitations. Paddy is a free agent, Simmons is as well, and I'd like us to keep both of them but that may be unlikely. Gasol may opt in, [and he costs 16 million a year].

If it were possible somehow for us to get CP3, I'd be all for it.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2695 on: May 8, 2017, 12:14:18 am »
Demarre Carroll contract was a bad mistake for him. I will be shocked if he signs Ibaka this summer. As for PJ, i guess it will depend on what happens with Lowry. They may move JV this summer, i won't be surprised. Also if Lowry leaves i guess they will fo for Bledsoe or Teague. Maybe also a 3rd scoring option like Gallinari with a trade.

Maybe other question is, will Ujiri keep Casey?

The DeMarre Carroll contract was a big mistake and is definitely the worst move he's made since he became the Raps' GM. I also wasn't a fan of moving Terence Ross for Ibaka and I made a couple of posts in this thread on that subject, but that's hardly a huge issue. I am expecting him to make a lot of changes to the roster in the next couple of years and have faith he will get most of them right.

As for Casey, I'm not sure to be honest. He signed a 3 year $18m contract last summer, so it would be expensive to replace him at this point. 

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2696 on: May 8, 2017, 12:19:49 am »
I hope the Spurs have a plan in the summer, we clearly need to build around Kawhi, but we don't have a lot of room due to cap limitations. Paddy is a free agent, Simmons is as well, and I'd like us to keep both of them but that may be unlikely. Gasol may opt in, [and he costs 16 million a year].

If it were possible somehow for us to get CP3, I'd be all for it.

Despite people claiming otherwise, i always thought CP3 was never the type who would leave a sunny L.A. and go to cities like San Antonio. It would be great move and beneficial for both but won't happen. Plus he wouldn't leave that additional money he would get from super max. He will probably sign that max that gives him 30+ per year. Patty Mills will cost you guys some money. When it comes to Spurs though, they can always get a rabbit out of hat in the draft and find an international future sensation.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #2697 on: May 8, 2017, 12:38:46 am »
Meh. Every team who really wants to win needs a top 5 NBA player. Who the hell knows how those other 27 team can get one.  The raps didn't, but were stil entertaining for the most part. It doesn't matter to me if they blow it up now or in 3 years. I certainly wouldn't mind more mere "entertainment," which might sound like blasphemy but it is the reality of the beast.

Getting one of those top 5 players is a total crapshot, if you can't always control it you might as well enjoy it.

Overall I enjoyed this Raptors season.   
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2698 on: May 8, 2017, 12:40:40 am »
Despite people claiming otherwise, i always thought CP3 was never the type who would leave a sunny L.A. and go to cities like San Antonio. It would be great move and beneficial for both but won't happen. Plus he wouldn't leave that additional money he would get from super max. He will probably sign that max that gives him 30+ per year. Patty Mills will cost you guys some money. When it comes to Spurs though, they can always get a rabbit out of hat in the draft and find an international future sensation.

You are very right on all points. However I think mate to compete with the Dubs we will need more than that, usually that would be enough as we've shown for last 17 years, but I think we need a bit more in order to have a chance

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2699 on: May 8, 2017, 01:04:33 am »
What a run from the Wizards, 26-0. John Wall is a beast.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2700 on: May 8, 2017, 01:04:55 am »
26-0 run by Washington to start the 3rd  :o :o

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2701 on: May 8, 2017, 01:06:50 am »
They had a 25-0 run in 3rd game and now 26-0 (and counting).
I know runs happen in the NBA but Brad Stevens is either slow to react or players don't give a shite to what he is saying. He had 3 time out's during the run and didn't stop it. Runs like this is hurting his resume.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2702 on: May 8, 2017, 01:07:36 am »
holy smokes john wall! what a run haha!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2703 on: May 8, 2017, 04:01:40 am »
Fucking 3's, I'm sick of them

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2704 on: May 8, 2017, 10:19:56 am »
I feel for Patrick Beverley, that was such an emotional postgame interview.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2705 on: May 8, 2017, 10:32:23 am »
Meh. Every team who really wants to win needs a top 5 NBA player. Who the hell knows how those other 27 team can get one.  The raps didn't, but were stil entertaining for the most part. It doesn't matter to me if they blow it up now or in 3 years. I certainly wouldn't mind more mere "entertainment," which might sound like blasphemy but it is the reality of the beast.

Getting one of those top 5 players is a total crapshot, if you can't always control it you might as well enjoy it.

Overall I enjoyed this Raptors season.

Great post. The reality is, the top stars win Championships, and they tend to either want to group together (in this era), or shift to a big City, or resign for the max.
It really comes down to some smarts, and getting a bit lucky in the draft, and not neccessarily just with the lottery picks.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2706 on: May 8, 2017, 10:57:50 am »
LeBron 4, Raptors 0. Ridiculous performance from him again.

To be fair, Kyrie smashed the 4th quarter and Korver had 16 before half time.

James and Irving combined to score or assist on 92 of the Cavs’ 109 points Sunday, according to ESPN Stats & Information.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2707 on: May 8, 2017, 11:32:35 am »
Meh. Every team who really wants to win needs a top 5 NBA player.

I don't know if that's true though. Detroit Pistons won against Lakers when Lakers had 2 top 5 players in Kobe and Shaq whereas none of Ben Wallace, Billups, Rasheed was Top 5. Mavericks won against Heat. Heat had Lebron,Wade both Top 5 players and Bosh was Top 10. Mavericks had Nowitzki, he was possibly Top 10, not Top 5. He played with retiring Stojakovic, Jason Kidd and already old role player Jason Terry. San Antonio Spurs won their recent two when Duncan was in edge of retirement. He was Top 5 in their early 2000's but not against the Heat. Good coaching and good drafting with a solid GM who can make fitting trades can do wonders in this league.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2708 on: May 8, 2017, 01:49:24 pm »
Want Celtics to beat the Wizards because of IT but the Wizards would give the Cavs a far tougher series, the best game of the regular season this year was the Wizards vs Cavs when Lebron tied the game with that insane three from the corner

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2709 on: May 8, 2017, 08:26:10 pm »
Wall and Irving are fucking monsters. Kyrie's dribbling impressive again, but I was hoping raptors would put up a fight. DeRozans love for LeBron as well
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2710 on: May 8, 2017, 10:04:15 pm »
Lavar ball is a fucking idiot, his kids need to fuck him off sharpish

https://bigballerbrand.com/products/video-feet-2

Also selling flip flops for $220
Just bought a pair of the Zo2's

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2711 on: May 9, 2017, 02:34:07 am »
The first quarter of the Jazz-Warriors game went about as well as the first round of the Creed-Drago fight. Utah are a decent, solid, very well organised team with a couple of very good players but the talent gap is just too much. Apart from an injury or an otherwordly series by James and/or Kyrie I can't think of a scenario in which Golden State doesn't win the title at a canter.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2712 on: May 9, 2017, 04:13:31 am »
Jazz are a bunch of Sturridges and Aurelios... bloody Hill, Hood and Favors have been on and off the IL all season and now the former two are out for good. Not that the Jazz would have done any better than a 4-2 series at a stretch with a fit roster, but these permacrocks do my head in. They need to revamp their backcourt for next season, these guys have talent but are totally unreliable.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2713 on: May 9, 2017, 06:44:07 am »
Nene out for the season. Rockets are done for the season.  :'(

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2714 on: May 9, 2017, 08:35:08 am »
As a more casual fan, with Jazz rolling over again whats going to happen to them playerwise now
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2715 on: May 9, 2017, 12:51:56 pm »
News Update :wave

Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook are back on speaking terms after Kendrick Perkins brokered a phone call

Kyle Lowry Confirms He'll Opt Out, Expects Stressful Decision, Raptors' Four-Game Exit Could Increase Odds Of Kyle Lowry Departure

Rudy Gay To Opt Out Of $14.2M Contract With Kings

Nene Ruled Out For Playoffs With Torn Adductor

Kristaps Porzingis Says He Was Hacked With Clippers' Tweet

Draymond Greens calls Olynyk dirty

Masai Ujiri: We're Trying To Keep Up With The Big Boys

Troy Weaver Considered Candidate For Hawks' President Job

Mike D'Antoni, Erik Spoelstra Named Winners Of NBCA Coach Of The Year Award

DeMar DeRozan: Raptors Would Have Won Series If We Had LeBron Too

Heat Unlikely To Have Interest In Carmelo Anthony

Steve Kerr Undergoes Spinal Cord Leak Procedure

Knicks Received Mulitple Trade Calls On Kristaps Porzingis

Lawrence Frank Supportive Of Clippers' Pursuit Of Carmelo Anthony

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2716 on: May 9, 2017, 02:38:40 pm »
Jazz was so bad that they even disappointed me as a Warriors fan. I thought it would be 4-2 after Clippers series but i guess Jazz beating the Clips say more about the Clippers than Jazz. One thing i knew was though, i said here that Jazz can think they already reached their goal by beating Clippers because they overachieved anyways so mentally they may give up and that's what happened.

Curious what happend with Hayward. He received a standing ovation in the end of the game, i hope he stays theew but let's remember last time he was a restricted free agent, He signed with Charlotte and Jazz matches the offer. They also have George Hill as an FA.

Expecting Rockets-Spurs to be really competitive tonight, whoever takes this one wins the series imo.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2717 on: May 10, 2017, 03:51:03 am »
GINOBLI!!! What a block! Spurs take a 3-2 lead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2718 on: May 10, 2017, 03:54:21 am »
Bittersweet victory, Kawhi couldn't even sit properly let alone stand, he fucked up his ankle, didn't play a second in OT. If he's out for the next game, this series is over and we' are truly fucked. first Parker and now Kawhi.

Having said that.

I don't ever want to see the sorry ass combo of Gasol and Aldridge. Horrible the pair of them, Gasol for all of his experience and pedigree has been absolutely god fucking awful. Pop wanted to kill Gasol for absolutely fucking up the last possession in regular time. I've never wanted to see the back of a player like I am right now with him, he's been abysmal the whole playoffs.

Please please NBA GODS don't let Kawhi be hurt :/

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2719 on: May 10, 2017, 03:55:10 am »
Aldridge looked like he wanted no part of the ball at the end...Pop has done a masterful job with this squad to get them this far.